Is Sound Really Closing Tracks?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2010 4:22 PM

Not trying to get any of you to change from running quieter bikes. This story illustrates the mentality of those that just have to be dicks.
Last time I checked, mountain bikes were fairly quiet.

From the LA Times


Rangers to dismantle illegal mountain biking course in Orange County park
February 17, 2010 | 11:13 am

Orange County park rangers, conservationists and volunteers will join forces Saturday to dismantle an illegal mountain bike course built in an off-limits forest area.

The elaborate network of wooden bridges, jumps, illegal trails and sandbag-reinforced switchbacks was built on about an acre of land in Limestone Canyon and Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, apparently by avid mountain bikers, officials said.

Mountain bikers have built illegal trails in many Orange County parks, said Senior Park Ranger Vicky Malton, who added she had never seen such structures built in this particular park before.

The course was discovered last fall when interns with the Irvine Ranch Conservancy were working to reintroduce prickly pear cacti to the forest after the 2007 Santiago fire and stumbled upon it.

The trail builders destroyed native plants and threatened the habitat of the nesting cactus wren, Malton said. Without enough plants to hold down hillsides, the barren trails raised the risk of erosion. Efforts to “re-brush” the area, or place natural debris and sometimes plant vegetation over the illegal trails, were being sabotaged, she said.

“They keep clearing the same trails or making new ones,” Malton said. “It’s a constant battle.”

Efforts to dismantle the course had to be put on hold during recent rainstorms, said David Raetz, deputy director for the Irvine Ranch Conservancy, adding that he hoped the larger mountain biking community would support the effort to keep certain areas of the park free of human intrusion.

“We live in such an urban area that it’s even more important to leave the natural areas the way they are so they can survive,” Raetz said. “They have to be in balance. … We don’t want to love it to death by continuing to overuse it.”

-- Amina Khan
|

2/17/2010 4:47 PM

I'm not biting on this one..........well maybe just a small nibble coated in sarcasm.

No sound doesn't have anything to do with the reason we've lost so many riding areas since the four strokes came back.....sure it's just a coincidence.

This story just demonstrates the few screw it up for the majority....instead of these nimrods building in an off limit area why didn't they go through the right channels to see about working with OC Parks to build one in a legitimate area.

We've had a skate park in Hermosa Beach for about ten years now that is the result of some young teenagers drawing up plans and submitting them to City Council.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

2/17/2010 4:58 PM

Hey I wont deny that the four strokes sound travels. Your Right! 100% I agree with you.

Again I am just using this to illustrate that there are a lot of people out there that are fighting what they feel is a good fight, we have to fight our fight. The sound issues is a tool that they use but not ultimately the reason. Thus the reason for my preface at the top. Honestly its not bait. Just notification that the Mountain Bikers are dealing with the same issues. Again in my honest opinion, these people would complain about hikers. If they were ninja hikers they would complain they farted in the forest. If it wasn't farting it would be their bad breath. There really is no way to make some people happy.

|

2/17/2010 5:37 PM

Which is a bigger problem? Mountain bikers? Or wildfires?

"Without enough plants to hold down hillsides, the barren trails raised the risk of erosion..."

|

2/17/2010 6:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 8:50 PM

If it doesn't work to further Rocks cause then he has to poo poo it. Oh yes these mountain biking hologans are just so terrible, I hate it when bicyclists ruin the envoirment. Oh the travisty!!!!!! They don't care if its loud or quiet, tree lickers don't want anything offroad. Pick a side and stand up for your rights, loud or not they don't care and are going to fight to take down your riding area. So keep focusing on 4 stroke sound levels while the tree lickers continue to eradicate your riding areas. Yes keep fighting your own side instead of standing up for your fellow off road enthusiest.


“We live in such an urban area that it’s even more important to leave the natural areas the way they are so they can survive,” Raetz said. “They have to be in balance. … We don’t want to love it to death by continuing to overuse it.”


This statement shows that they aren't dealing in reality, Raetz says there has to be balance in the usage of the natrual areas, but her idea of balance is to never use the area for anything. Any use of the area would lead to loving it to death. He makes no sense just like all these wacked out tree lickers, so why the heck would you try to passify them by making your bike a few decibles quieter. Its insane trying to passify a whack job.



|

2/17/2010 6:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 8:50 PM

Overdrive the mountain bikers in this story are like the off road motorcyclists who don't stay on the trails. I am not going to stand up for anyone building a course in an off limit area and it doesn't matter if they have a motor or not, nor does it matter how many wheels they have..


I support many off road efforts like NOHVCC, Orba, and BRC and sound is not their primary focus.


If you want to slam me please get your facts straight first.



Tiki-It's all good. You hit the nail on the head that you can't make everybody happy....but we can work to give them one less reason to not like us by keeping the noise down. Even if we were silent some will still have a problem but to me this doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing everything we can to be as quiet as possible. Not saying I'm right just stating my opinion.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

2/17/2010 6:11 PM

Damn the title of this thread is like a friggin' mating call for Rock's Racing Services, isn't it? Erections all around!

|

2/17/2010 6:41 PM

Cant disturb the Nesting Cactis Wren
WTF, over?

Wait till they find an arrowhead or a bone. You wont even be able to look at the place anymore.

|

2/17/2010 6:49 PM

Seems they nest in Palms too.

Photo

|

2/17/2010 7:28 PM

The Rock wrote:

Overdrive the mountain bikers in this story are like the off road motorcyclists who don't stay on the trails. I am not going ...more

Those alphabet organizations have done a great job keeping most of Dove Springs open, not.

|

2/17/2010 7:31 PM

Mismanagement, poor promoting, under funded track owners, and location (developement) kill more tracks than sound does.

|

2/17/2010 7:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2010 8:12 PM

Well tiki, I find it funny that you posted this. Do u see where it states, "they happened upon it". It also states over and over, it was illegally placed. Now let's start this whole track over in the woods, on a legally rented or approved land. No one who wasn't suppose to be there would know about it because they would be trespassing, and it would have been open probably until the weeds grew over. So, back to what I've said over and over. A legally placed track, be it motocross or mountain bike will not even be known about, if not for sound. So I would like to thank you for proving my point. Thank you also for showing me, what I knew to be true. You guys only can put blame on others, never looking in the mirror.

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/17/2010 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2010 8:13 PM

This post is the exact thing I've been talking about with your mentalities, on this subject. Saying I don't get it, it's really laughable. Try looking at who doesn't get it. Did anyone except Rock state, hey, they shouldn't have been doing it there in the first place. Hey, did you notice, that it wasn't even known about for years. It was bumped into, or happened onto. The laws state what is legal and what isn't legal. There are surely signs that say, no vehicles, no bikes, etc. They knew it was off limits, but figured no one would find them out. Either way, they knew they were in the wrong. But who do we look to for blame. The greenies. And I'm the one who doesn't get it. LOL

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/17/2010 7:57 PM

miedosoracing1 wrote:

This post is the exact thing I've been talking about with your mentalities, on this subject. Saying I don't get it, it's ...more

Who determines what is illegally placed? Environmetalists?

|

2/17/2010 9:40 PM

I wasn't posting it Poo poo on Rocks cause. I support it and he knows I do.

Just so it's clear.
Park Rules
Bike Trails

None of us have ever ridden off a trail at all. Brilliant! We are all legal in every aspect.
Man I wish I could be like some of you. What a bunch of lying hypocrites.

|

2/17/2010 9:50 PM

I thought michelle obama wanted less obese americans...she should personally stop closing the trails!

In all seriousness...sound is real issue for some private tracks I attend...a lone 450 around dinner time is pretty darn loud!

|

2/17/2010 10:21 PM

John Birch wrote:

Who determines what is illegally placed? Environmetalists?

Well, yes, the environmentalists are the ones who declare forests off limits. They're trying to do that to all of Utah right now.

|

2/17/2010 10:37 PM

Blake wrote:

Cant disturb the Nesting Cactis Wren
WTF, over?

Wait till they find an arrowhead or a bone. You wont even be able to look at ...more

or freeking oil deposits...

|

2/17/2010 10:39 PM

i heard the rock will make billions if a sound ordinance is passed...easy street here he comes...lmao

|

2/18/2010 4:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 8:50 PM

Has anyone asked why these guys were riding bicycle there, maybe there isn't a good place for them to ride and they have tried to set a place up legally. I am sure the tree lickers would have no problem with the mountain bikers riding around the skate course you mentioned, but thats not really the point of mountain biking now is it. Get off your freaking high horse and leave your holier than thow attitude. Your an offroad enthusiest but you sound like a tree licker.


The fact is these guys should be able to ride there, they aren't hurting anyone or anything. Oh Im sorry a wren might have to make a nest in another tree. Your riding area is next and its not because of sound, sound is only a tool so stand up and stop playing their game.

Back in the 70s you could ride just about anywhere and be as loud as you wanted, what changed from then till now. Lawyers and tree lickers, Oh and we lost our back bone.

|

2/18/2010 4:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 8:50 PM

Tiki wrote:

I wasn't posting it Poo poo on Rocks cause. I support it and he knows I do.

Just so it's clear.
Park Rules
Bike Trails

None ...more

That is not what I said, and you know it. My point, is that we need to stop pointing the finger on blame. That's all I hear, blame the other guys. This post was a perfect example. You came out against the greenies, but did you post ANYTHING about what the bikers were doing wrong, thus the reason they got shut down? Nope. What are we doing to fix the situation. Again, no one even knew they were there, because sound wasn't an issue. Everyone is for stopping the greenies, but no one is for fixing what the problems are. It's all about them them them. You may be fighting a cause, like you say, but like I asked in the other post the other day. When is the last time you came out and blasted our side for doing stuff wrong? When did you stand up in the meetings and say, hey, riders maybe you should do this and do that? Hey quads, you guys are ruining it for us bikers because you go off the trails and form new one's? I'd bet never. You keep stating we've been fighting noise from motorcycles for 40 years. How's that going? I still hear loud bikes. So does that mean you've been fighting against people that don't like loud bikes for 40 years? I'd bet so. So fighting the greenies at their game, isn't really fighting for the cause, if you are gonna lose. It would be better to spend efforts on ways to win.

By the way, Yes, I'm legal in every aspect. You would have a hard time finding anything I do illegal. Now, have I always been, for sure no. I've been lucky not to get in trouble for doing bad things in the past. You know what is different about me though? I learned with my age. I am wiser and proud to say I don't do anything illegal. I carry a handgun legally, thus passed all FBI and state checks. I drive the speed limit. I abide by rules. And I personally can't say I have ever ridden where I wasn't suppose to, but that was a rule by my father. When I ruined the farmers land, I accepted that I F'ed up.

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/18/2010 5:58 AM

If anyone thinks sound is not a HUGE problem, you're fooling yourself.

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

2/18/2010 6:06 AM

bultokid wrote:

If anyone thinks sound is not a HUGE problem, you're fooling yourself.

True but "they" will always find another reason if that one doesn't work.

|

Funny (and true) quote deleted at the request of miedosoracing1.

‎"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

2/18/2010 6:26 AM

I would be willing to bet that the mountain bikers probably kept the area clean and in better shape than it was when they found it.

|

2/18/2010 6:38 AM

bultokid wrote:

If anyone thinks sound is not a HUGE problem, you're fooling yourself.

panic revver wrote:

True but "they" will always find another reason if that one doesn't work.

As this article shows, if done legally, "they" would have to find you first if sound wasn't an issue.

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/18/2010 6:39 AM

ktm300hater wrote:

I would be willing to bet that the mountain bikers probably kept the area clean and in better shape than it was when they ...more

It's ok to break into your home, if I leave it cleaner than when I came?

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/18/2010 6:48 AM

ktm300hater wrote:

I would be willing to bet that the mountain bikers probably kept the area clean and in better shape than it was when they ...more

miedosoracing1 wrote:

It's ok to break into your home, if I leave it cleaner than when I came?

tell me how a forest that is probably on public land is getting broken into. If they cut fences or it is posted no trespassing then yes your right. But who really knows. We all know how the media works

|

2/18/2010 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 8:51 PM

Right, and we can only go by what this says. It states "illegal mountain bike course built in an off-limits forest area."

I know for a fact, when I go to a government forest, they do have postings that say, no bicycles off posted areas, or something of that order. So is that everyones argument? They didn't know they were illegal? Really???





We can also see that these posted bicycle riding facilities means, bikers know what is legal and what isn't.
http://www.ocparks.com/...=BicyclingBikeTrails

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."

2/18/2010 7:31 AM

There a lot of reasons people hate dirt bikes and want it shut down. It's not either this or it's that. It's all of the above. Sound is just one more reason.

There is a core of people that just hate for the sake of hating. They'll jump on any reason to try and control others.

But, beyond that, there is the farmer or rancher who has his fence cut and folks riding illegally. There is the neighborhood that doesn't want dirt bikes railing down their alleys. There's the folks near a track that never waters and dust is a huge problem as well as noise.

Many reasons. If we are in the wrong, we need to accept that and do something about it.

|

2/18/2010 7:33 AM

txmxer wrote:

There a lot of reasons people hate dirt bikes and want it shut down. It's not either this or it's that. It's all of the above. ...more

Oh, no txmxer. It is the greenies fault. I've come to realize that. It's all everyone elses fault. I decided to change my thinking. It's easier this way. ;-)

|

Don't be a 2 Stroke Racist. Join in the fight for equality. CC vs CC side by side.
We should no longer be concerned with color, size, stroke preferences or make. I'm not a 4 stroker, "not that there is anything wrong with it."