Is KT Tape Legit?

aeffertz
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2018 7:31am
I’ve noticed a few pros coming back from injuries getting this stuff applied to the desired areas so assumed it must work somewhat since no one seems to actually endorse it.

But I can’t find any real clinical studies proving that it does anything. Has anyone here personally used it?

Poll

Is kinesiology tape the real deal?

Choices
|
Idaho747
12/9/2018 4:09pm
For certain things it's great. But I think some people go a little overboard wtih it.

I broke my wrist (technically the very bottom of my ulna) anf didn't get surgery to fix it like I should have it gets horrible pain if I don't tape it right when I lift weights or ride a long period of time. Also helps bad shoulders quite a bit.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
12/9/2018 4:14pm
Ever since i destroyed my shoulder i use it and it works
Monk
12/9/2018 4:16pm
Like anything, there is some merit to it. But over enough time, it could become a crutch...
zehn
12/9/2018 4:24pm
Monk wrote:
Like anything, there is some merit to it. But over enough time, it could become a crutch...
So are knee braces a crutch too?

The Shop

Monk
12/9/2018 4:34pm
Monk wrote:
zehn wrote:
All depends on the situation...

Best example I can give... Guy comes to you with a headache, you find out he bangs his head against the wall all day. You give him a helmet and amazingly he doesn't have a headache anymore. Wouldn't the solution to be just stop banging your head?
12/9/2018 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 5:42pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Ever since i destroyed my shoulder i use it and it works
My wife sheared the tip of her shoulder socket off riding several years back and has had problems with it since then, she’s used KT tape since getting her second surgery for it about a year ago, said it works really well. She doesn’t layer it on like the woman in OP’s pic though, that seems excessive, lol.
mwssquad827
12/9/2018 5:59pm
Monk wrote:
zehn wrote:
Monk wrote:
All depends on the situation... Best example I can give... Guy comes to you with a headache, you find out he bangs his head against the...

Best example I can give... Guy comes to you with a headache, you find out he bangs his head against the wall all day. You give him a helmet and amazingly he doesn't have a headache anymore. Wouldn't the solution to be just stop banging your head?
So your solution is to stop riding??
Sounds like a stupid solution to me!! I’ll take the crutches(knee braces)
Monk
12/9/2018 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 6:15pm
zehn wrote:
Monk wrote:
All depends on the situation... Best example I can give... Guy comes to you with a headache, you find out he bangs his head against the...

Or you could work on preventive measures to strengthen the knee and surrounding area. Tools such as yoga, stretching, mobility training, strength training, active recovery, and such. Add in a good diet, proper riding technique, etc and you might never need to go back to braces.

But, as you prefer to take my words out of context and put your own small narrow minded meaning to them, doesn't matter what anyone says does it?
mwssquad827
12/9/2018 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 6:24pm
Monk wrote:

Monk wrote:
Or you could work on preventive measures to strengthen the knee and surrounding area. Tools such as yoga, stretching, mobility training, strength training, active recovery, and...
Or you could work on preventive measures to strengthen the knee and surrounding area. Tools such as yoga, stretching, mobility training, strength training, active recovery, and such. Add in a good diet, proper riding technique, etc and you might never need to go back to braces.

But, as you prefer to take my words out of context and put your own small narrow minded meaning to them, doesn't matter what anyone says does it?
Ya all the pros that train, eat, stretch that blow knees out might argue with you bruh!! And for being a monk you sure get spun up quick..

Disclaimer:: these are my small narrow minded views after drinking beer and watching football all day. Take them with a grain of salt. And just chill dude I get what your saying
Mr. Info
12/9/2018 6:47pm
Worked for my patella tendinitis in my replaced knee.
rohleder644
12/10/2018 6:17am
I made a pit stop at a skatepark with the 20" on my way to a once a year riding trip. Yanked my shoulder out and was hurting. KT tape was the only thing that allowed me to ride that weekend.

Ol blue tape Mary might be a kook, but she's lined up for some sort of swimming event. That's more than I can say for myself.
kb228
12/10/2018 6:23am
Monk wrote:

Monk wrote:
Or you could work on preventive measures to strengthen the knee and surrounding area. Tools such as yoga, stretching, mobility training, strength training, active recovery, and...

People wear braces to prevent injuries if their foot gets caught. Not necessarily because they have unstable knees.

Its just like a helmet. Its not a crutch. Just a preventative measure.
DoctorJD
12/10/2018 6:29am
I made a pit stop at a skatepark with the 20" on my way to a once a year riding trip. Yanked my shoulder out and...
I made a pit stop at a skatepark with the 20" on my way to a once a year riding trip. Yanked my shoulder out and was hurting. KT tape was the only thing that allowed me to ride that weekend.

Ol blue tape Mary might be a kook, but she's lined up for some sort of swimming event. That's more than I can say for myself.
So it really works for shoulders? Mine pops out all the time. I just want it to be stable enough to mountain bike. I guess I need to research the taping method as I'm sure that's critical for success.
Monk
12/10/2018 6:35am
Monk wrote:

kb228 wrote:
People wear braces to prevent injuries if their foot gets caught. Not necessarily because they have unstable knees. Its just like a helmet. Its not a...
People wear braces to prevent injuries if their foot gets caught. Not necessarily because they have unstable knees.

Its just like a helmet. Its not a crutch. Just a preventative measure.
"could become a crutch"
TSCHAM101
12/10/2018 6:47am
I made a pit stop at a skatepark with the 20" on my way to a once a year riding trip. Yanked my shoulder out and...

DoctorJD wrote:
So it really works for shoulders? Mine pops out all the time. I just want it to be stable enough to mountain bike. I guess I...
So it really works for shoulders? Mine pops out all the time. I just want it to be stable enough to mountain bike. I guess I need to research the taping method as I'm sure that's critical for success.
The tape works good for this sort of issue... But it should only be used if you are deteremined to do your activity right away.. its a short term solution.. the best thing would be to build the muscles and tendons up around the hurt area.. but short term the tape will help you..
seven1two
12/10/2018 6:56am
It works for the AC joint. Helps me keep riding for a longer time
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
12/10/2018 7:03am
it works great for bruising. RockTape holds better
Bearuno
12/10/2018 7:04am
I first saw it at the IOM TT s few years back. The Lady physio and her assistants that takes care of many of the riders really is into it's use. But, more from it's flexibility for Road Racers tucked into the their cramped positions for multiple laps of the 37.8 mile long course, than the many and varied things it is touted to address. Some I can readily see, some just seems to fit under pseudo science.

I tape up my shoulders to keep my 'pop up' ACs down. I think a combination of more normal sports tape I've used for years, and the stretchy KT tape might be a good set up. This thread has helped remind me of it's potential use. So, thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

I go through hundreds of dollars worth of tape a year, and I guess this fancy 'KT' tape might add a fair bit more to the total.
Monk
12/10/2018 7:31am
Bearuno wrote:
I first saw it at the IOM TT s few years back. The Lady physio and her assistants that takes care of many of the riders...
I first saw it at the IOM TT s few years back. The Lady physio and her assistants that takes care of many of the riders really is into it's use. But, more from it's flexibility for Road Racers tucked into the their cramped positions for multiple laps of the 37.8 mile long course, than the many and varied things it is touted to address. Some I can readily see, some just seems to fit under pseudo science.

I tape up my shoulders to keep my 'pop up' ACs down. I think a combination of more normal sports tape I've used for years, and the stretchy KT tape might be a good set up. This thread has helped remind me of it's potential use. So, thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

I go through hundreds of dollars worth of tape a year, and I guess this fancy 'KT' tape might add a fair bit more to the total.
Hockey tape was always our 'go to' as it was extremely cheap and readily available. I would imagine the 'KT' brand tape has better adhesive and better cuts making it much easier to apply.

My training partner has a loose knee and uses the KT in conjunction with Leatt Knee Braces. I would bet he spends $500+ per year on the KT tape. Great guy, super fast, but our group has a bit of a running joke with him because he'll spends $100s in supplements every month, have multiple wraps and braces, trains like a MF'er in and out of the gym, rides/practices/races 200+hrs a year...but won't touch his motorcycle suspension and somewhat thinks it's dumb that people spend money on that shit... Lol
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/10/2018 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2018 5:44pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Worked for my patella tendinitis in my replaced knee.
try Yoga.

Post a reply to: Is KT Tape Legit?

The Latest