Is Factory Team Honda suffering from the Curse of the GOAT....Curse of the Bambino.

7/8/2015 6:14pm
The Curse of Honda
Malherbe
Bailey
Chandler
Fonseca
Henry (although not on Honda at the time)
Sully wrote:
Magoo was on a Kawasaki when he had his crash.
Was he? Anyways it's a curse (coincidence)
newmann
7/8/2015 6:23pm
Honda doesn't give two shits about us minions who thrive on moto. They make ten times the money off of drunk ass rednecks and four wheeler sales. One day when MX and SX no longer give two shits about Honda, maybe they will pull their heads out of their asses. Meanwhile, back in Japan....

Markout
7/8/2015 7:51pm
Markout wrote:
Maybe it's RC?... Kawasaki kicked him to the curb before Honda. I bet the guys that made those decisions were kicked to the curb shortly after...
Flatliner wrote:
No kawi didn't. Rc didn't want to be on the old kx that wasn't getting much in the way of updates anymore, and Honda offered more...
No kawi didn't. Rc didn't want to be on the old kx that wasn't getting much in the way of updates anymore, and Honda offered more money too.
There was an interview with Ricky shortly after retirement, during the interview he said "a lot of people thought Jeff Stanton influenced me to leave Kawi and go to Honda, the truth is, Kawi never made me an offer." or something close to that.
kiwifan
7/8/2015 7:54pm
I realize they go all the way back... I'm saying that haven't really dominated since then, save for RC. Even the little "boutique" brand KTM has...
I realize they go all the way back... I'm saying that haven't really dominated since then, save for RC.

Even the little "boutique" brand KTM has been consistently shitting on them for awhile now.

Nothing will ever top the disappointment of the NS500R project though. probably the largest 2-wheeled fail, ever.
YZ125H1 wrote:
Silly Honda thinking a 500cc 4 stroke could compete with 2 strokes. May be that's where their motto "The power of dreams" came from. That bike...
Silly Honda thinking a 500cc 4 stroke could compete with 2 strokes. May be that's where their motto "The power of dreams" came from. That bike sure cost them a lot of wasted time and money. I think Japanese are still naive about how much of a threat KTM really is in the market.
Net profit Honda 4.19 billion Net profit suzuki 1.27 billion Net profit ktm 57 Million. Ktm is absolutely zero threat to what these companies are trying...
Net profit Honda 4.19 billion
Net profit suzuki 1.27 billion
Net profit ktm 57 Million.
Ktm is absolutely zero threat to what these companies are trying to do
Don't talk logic or facts here!!!! lol

The Shop

kiwifan
7/8/2015 8:00pm
So lets see, KR gets hurt during SX and he wasn't on a Honda, Barcia has terrible season and he isn't on a Honda, RV gets a broken tailbone and he wasn't on a Honda, Jake W got hurt in SX and he wasn't on a Honda, Reed had injuries all year and he wasn't on a Honda, AC recently got hurt and he's not on a Honda...I guess you get the picture, EVERY year riders get hurt, sure Honda team hasn't always had a great run, and they might on been lucky during their so called golden eras (RC/MC/RJ/DB/JmB etc) but then their competitors got hurt then too and they weren't on Hondas....so to say 'curse of Honda' etc is just bullshit. But anti-Honda people will believe what they like.
Bearuno
7/8/2015 8:23pm
I realize they go all the way back... I'm saying that haven't really dominated since then, save for RC. Even the little "boutique" brand KTM has...
I realize they go all the way back... I'm saying that haven't really dominated since then, save for RC.

Even the little "boutique" brand KTM has been consistently shitting on them for awhile now.

Nothing will ever top the disappointment of the NS500R project though. probably the largest 2-wheeled fail, ever.
YZ125H1 wrote:
Silly Honda thinking a 500cc 4 stroke could compete with 2 strokes. May be that's where their motto "The power of dreams" came from. That bike...
Silly Honda thinking a 500cc 4 stroke could compete with 2 strokes. May be that's where their motto "The power of dreams" came from. That bike sure cost them a lot of wasted time and money. I think Japanese are still naive about how much of a threat KTM really is in the market.
NR500 , boys. Dubbed as the "Never Ready", by many journalists at the time.

Honda got the 4t competitiveness issue in Premier Class Road Racing, 'sorted', through doubling the capacity of the 4Ts, decades later............

Yes, Soichiro and Co, 4ts are just so much better, especially when you can have double, or near double the capacity against those 'orrible', dity 2 strokes.......

For those interested, a recent Classic Racer article on the NR500 project, with commentary by Mick Grant, is a good read. Honda Did get a lot of info from the failed project, that has gone into subsequent 4ts. The same Classic Racer issue has an Alan Cathcart NSR500 V4 (2T) test reprint, and a Freddie Spencer interview on it, and his 85 double class World Championships. Ironically, I think Freddie was the only one of two (the other being a victory in a 200Km Endurance race at Suzuka - no not the 8 hour race) riders to give Honda a victory with the NR500 - was it at Laguna Seca in the then yearly 'demo' race there?.Too long ago for me to recall accurately. Classic Racer is a great magazine, by the way, as are most of the Pommie ones..
kiwifan
7/8/2015 8:27pm

YZ125H1 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
NR500 , boys. Dubbed as the "Never Ready", by many journalists at the time. Honda got the 4t competitiveness issue in Premier Class Road Racing, 'sorted'...

Honda got the 4t competitiveness issue in Premier Class Road Racing, 'sorted', through doubling the capacity of the 4Ts, decades later............

Yes, Soichiro and Co, 4ts are just so much better, especially when you can have double, or near double the capacity against those 'orrible', dity 2 strokes.......

For those interested, a recent Classic Racer article on the NR500 project, with commentary by Mick Grant, is a good read. Honda Did get a lot of info from the failed project, that has gone into subsequent 4ts. The same Classic Racer issue has an Alan Cathcart NSR500 V4 (2T) test reprint, and a Freddie Spencer interview on it, and his 85 double class World Championships. Ironically, I think Freddie was the only one of two (the other being a victory in a 200Km Endurance race at Suzuka - no not the 8 hour race) riders to give Honda a victory with the NR500 - was it at Laguna Seca in the then yearly 'demo' race there?.Too long ago for me to recall accurately. Classic Racer is a great magazine, by the way, as are most of the Pommie ones..
Yes they should of never tried to produce an amazing oval pistoned engine that was way ahead of its time, silly Honda
Flatliner
7/8/2015 8:30pm
Markout wrote:
Maybe it's RC?... Kawasaki kicked him to the curb before Honda. I bet the guys that made those decisions were kicked to the curb shortly after...
Flatliner wrote:
No kawi didn't. Rc didn't want to be on the old kx that wasn't getting much in the way of updates anymore, and Honda offered more...
No kawi didn't. Rc didn't want to be on the old kx that wasn't getting much in the way of updates anymore, and Honda offered more money too.
Markout wrote:
There was an interview with Ricky shortly after retirement, during the interview he said "a lot of people thought Jeff Stanton influenced me to leave Kawi...
There was an interview with Ricky shortly after retirement, during the interview he said "a lot of people thought Jeff Stanton influenced me to leave Kawi and go to Honda, the truth is, Kawi never made me an offer." or something close to that.
I never saw that, what I wrote was the word at the time though.
Markout
7/8/2015 8:36pm
Flatliner wrote:
Markout wrote:
There was an interview with Ricky shortly after retirement, during the interview he said "a lot of people thought Jeff Stanton influenced me to leave Kawi...
Flatliner wrote:
I never saw that, what I wrote was the word at the time though.
It's hard to believe that they wouldn't have made him an offer, but James said Kawi never made him an off either. It seems they thought they had James to take over from Ricky, and RV to take over from James.
Bearuno
7/8/2015 10:32pm
YZ125H1 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
NR500 , boys. Dubbed as the "Never Ready", by many journalists at the time. Honda got the 4t competitiveness issue in Premier Class Road Racing, 'sorted'...

kiwifan wrote:
Yes they should of never tried to produce an amazing oval pistoned engine that was way ahead of its time, silly Honda
"Honda Did get a lot of info from the failed project, that has gone into subsequent 4ts"

Don't think I regard it as something piss poor - it was an amazing effort at the time, and, as the sentence I wrote that I've re-quoted above implies, I don't believe it was a waste of effort.

I've just picked up another mag with a multi paged story on the NR500, that I will archive for many years to come.

Understand this, people, I'm Not anti 4 stroke.

I'm purely anti "handicap rule" classes.

There is absolutely No Need for modern 4ts to have extra capacity over 2ts

. Just look to the Moto 3 rules, that have quite sensible class rules (eg, 13,500 max RPM limit, amoungst many other controls) yet they are getting mid / high 50HP levels now. Hell, even Honda's initial N(ew) R(acer) 250, which was introduced a few years ago, had 47HP at 13,200 RPM.as std. It was intended as an entry level Road Racer - KTM just gazumped Honda by producing a base bike with far higher specs, at over double the price, and with approved "kits" that were double the price. Hey, that's racing, but it pissed Honda off, and caused them to get very serious in their current attempts to beat KTM / KTHusky.

Hell, I hate that 125s were dropped for far more complicated 250F Road Racers, but quite 'guilty' in that, and the dropping of 250 2Ts for a 600cc, single engine manufacturer, are Aprilia with their charging of mind boggling amounts for varioius levels of "kits", through to whole 'lease bikes'. Leaving the 'have nots' having not a hope in hell of being competitive. Full Kit / Lease Aprilia / Garelli 250s, were touching the 1,000, 000 Euro mark - just below the lease costs of a MotoGP Honda. I read that the 125 kits / lease bikes were well over 500,000 Euro to get a hold of.

Far more affordable, would be 125 2Ts, with strict controls / rules, than 250 4ts with controls. And, with modern tech, such as EFI / DFI, I feel 125 2Ts would be far more relevant to the worlds need for simple / clean / fuel efficient / affordable transport.

Actually, I think some. of the rules / controls used in Moto3, would be wise to apply to highest level MX series..
kiwifan
7/8/2015 11:58pm
Bearuno wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
"Honda Did get a lot of info from the failed project, that has gone into subsequent 4ts" Don't think I regard it as something piss poor...
"Honda Did get a lot of info from the failed project, that has gone into subsequent 4ts"

Don't think I regard it as something piss poor - it was an amazing effort at the time, and, as the sentence I wrote that I've re-quoted above implies, I don't believe it was a waste of effort.

I've just picked up another mag with a multi paged story on the NR500, that I will archive for many years to come.

Understand this, people, I'm Not anti 4 stroke.

I'm purely anti "handicap rule" classes.

There is absolutely No Need for modern 4ts to have extra capacity over 2ts

. Just look to the Moto 3 rules, that have quite sensible class rules (eg, 13,500 max RPM limit, amoungst many other controls) yet they are getting mid / high 50HP levels now. Hell, even Honda's initial N(ew) R(acer) 250, which was introduced a few years ago, had 47HP at 13,200 RPM.as std. It was intended as an entry level Road Racer - KTM just gazumped Honda by producing a base bike with far higher specs, at over double the price, and with approved "kits" that were double the price. Hey, that's racing, but it pissed Honda off, and caused them to get very serious in their current attempts to beat KTM / KTHusky.

Hell, I hate that 125s were dropped for far more complicated 250F Road Racers, but quite 'guilty' in that, and the dropping of 250 2Ts for a 600cc, single engine manufacturer, are Aprilia with their charging of mind boggling amounts for varioius levels of "kits", through to whole 'lease bikes'. Leaving the 'have nots' having not a hope in hell of being competitive. Full Kit / Lease Aprilia / Garelli 250s, were touching the 1,000, 000 Euro mark - just below the lease costs of a MotoGP Honda. I read that the 125 kits / lease bikes were well over 500,000 Euro to get a hold of.

Far more affordable, would be 125 2Ts, with strict controls / rules, than 250 4ts with controls. And, with modern tech, such as EFI / DFI, I feel 125 2Ts would be far more relevant to the worlds need for simple / clean / fuel efficient / affordable transport.

Actually, I think some. of the rules / controls used in Moto3, would be wise to apply to highest level MX series..
Fair enough, interesting isnt it, that KTM making a lot of HP means Honda had to respond, sounds like MX, KTM produces a ton of HP that most people cant use but everyone asks for it, and Honda sounds like its finally bowing to public pressure to increase their 450 HP in 2017.....despite the fact that it probably has made racing more dangerous by allowing these bikes to have rediculous speeds with their weight....

Slosh 112
7/9/2015 12:52am
gt80rider wrote:
Honda lost their passion for being the best of the best a very long time ago....
Watched Moto GP lately?
7/9/2015 4:36am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 4:36am
YZ125H1 wrote:
Net profit Honda 4.19 billion Net profit suzuki 1.27 billion Net profit ktm 57 Million. Ktm is absolutely zero threat to what these companies are trying...
kiwifan wrote:
Here's some logic... go over to KTM and ask them if they care how many Accords Honda sells, since you're factoring those in...
7/9/2015 6:06am
Exactly which goes to show how small the motorcycle market is and they dont worry about a company like ktm because it doesn't hurt Thier bottom line one bit. Those are the facts. Everyk r raves about ktm thier best year ever was 57 mill net profit. Honda could make that by turning thier lights off 10 mins earlier at the end of the day
7/9/2015 6:15am
gt80rider wrote:
Honda lost their passion for being the best of the best a very long time ago....
Slosh 112 wrote:
Watched Moto GP lately?
yea, some washed up 36 yr old on a Yamaha is yarding the remote-controlled Honda midget. Best season in years.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/9/2015 10:23am
For those that are not aware of the baseball reference:

The Curse of the Bambino was a superstition evolving from the failure of the Boston Red Sox baseball team to win the World Series in the 86-year period from 1918 to 2004. While some fans took the curse seriously, most used the expression in a tongue-in-cheek manner.[1]

This misfortune began after the Red Sox sold star player Babe Ruth, sometimes called The Bambino, to the New York Yankees in the off-season of 1919–1920.[2] Before that point, the Red Sox had been one of the most successful professional baseball franchises, winning the first World Series and amassing five World Series titles.[3] After the sale they went without a title for decades, even while the Red Sox won five American League championships from 1946 to 1986, as the previously lackluster Yankees became one of the most successful franchises in North American professional sports.[4] The curse became a focal point of the Yankees–Red Sox rivalry over the years.
newmann
7/9/2015 10:59am
Exactly which goes to show how small the motorcycle market is and they dont worry about a company like ktm because it doesn't hurt Thier bottom...
Exactly which goes to show how small the motorcycle market is and they dont worry about a company like ktm because it doesn't hurt Thier bottom line one bit. Those are the facts. Everyk r raves about ktm thier best year ever was 57 mill net profit. Honda could make that by turning thier lights off 10 mins earlier at the end of the day
And how does Honda turning their lights off ten minutes earlier benefit us on a motocross message board? It doesn't. However, KTM kicking ass and taking names in all things off road moto related is keeping plenty of us smiling.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/9/2015 11:22am
FYI:
MOTOCROSS BIKE CURRENTLY OWNED:

2009 - Honda 32.4%, Yam 26.5%, KTM 10.9%
2010 - Honda 30.5%, Yam 26.0%, KTM 12.1%
2011 - Honda 29.4%, Yam 25.0%, KTM 14.0%
2012 - Honda 29.2%, Yam 23.1%, KTM 15.1%
2013 - Honda 26.5%, Yam 23.0%, KTM 16.8%
2014 - Honda 25.9%, Yam 22.8%, KTM 18.3%

Source: VitalMX Member Survey
mxdude105
7/9/2015 11:40am
I don't think its that Honda "isn't trying" with their MX effort. From where I'm sitting, they outsell their competitors by such a significant margin already that they know they don't need RD or RV to sell bikes for them. Honda hasn't won a premier class title in over a decade and hasn't had a true 450 championship contender since RC left (except for maybe Tomac this year - big Canard fan, but there's just no way he stays healthy long enough to beat Ken, Ryan, Eli and the rest.).

Has this fact affected their status as top dog in the off-highway vehicle market? Nope. Why spend millions to lure Roczen away from RCH?
cslacker
7/9/2015 12:39pm
mxdude105 wrote:
I don't think its that Honda "isn't trying" with their MX effort. From where I'm sitting, they outsell their competitors by such a significant margin already...
I don't think its that Honda "isn't trying" with their MX effort. From where I'm sitting, they outsell their competitors by such a significant margin already that they know they don't need RD or RV to sell bikes for them. Honda hasn't won a premier class title in over a decade and hasn't had a true 450 championship contender since RC left (except for maybe Tomac this year - big Canard fan, but there's just no way he stays healthy long enough to beat Ken, Ryan, Eli and the rest.).

Has this fact affected their status as top dog in the off-highway vehicle market? Nope. Why spend millions to lure Roczen away from RCH?
From where you are sitting do you have statistics to show that Honda is the "top dog" in offroad motorcycle sales? Not overall motorcycle sales (which include scooters, utvs, atvs, street bikes etc... and are included in Honda's published numbers)... but actual dirt bike sales? Hell a 1/3rd (5 million) of their international bikes sales are the SuperCub:

http://world.honda.com/SuperCub/MobileSafari/2G/

kiwifan
7/9/2015 3:33pm
kiwifan wrote:
Here's some logic... go over to KTM and ask them if they care how many Accords Honda sells, since you're factoring those in...
I think you need to reply to Jasen's post not mine dude.....

Honda probably don't care how many bicycle's KTM makes either, since we are factoring that in :-)
kiwifan
7/9/2015 3:37pm
OW38B wrote:
FYI: MOTOCROSS BIKE CURRENTLY OWNED: 2009 - Honda 32.4%, Yam 26.5%, KTM 10.9% 2010 - Honda 30.5%, Yam 26.0%, KTM 12.1% 2011 - Honda 29.4%, Yam...
FYI:

yes a Vital survey clearly relates to world wide sales.....NOT...it only shows what vital members ride/buy. I do find it interesting, however, that Yamaha riders are almost the same % less than Honda.....and they produce two strokes :-)

kiwifan
7/9/2015 3:43pm
mxdude105 wrote:
I don't think its that Honda "isn't trying" with their MX effort. From where I'm sitting, they outsell their competitors by such a significant margin already...

cslacker wrote:
From where you are sitting do you have statistics to show that Honda is the "top dog" in offroad motorcycle sales? Not overall motorcycle sales (which...
From where you are sitting do you have statistics to show that Honda is the "top dog" in offroad motorcycle sales? Not overall motorcycle sales (which include scooters, utvs, atvs, street bikes etc... and are included in Honda's published numbers)... but actual dirt bike sales? Hell a 1/3rd (5 million) of their international bikes sales are the SuperCub:

http://world.honda.com/SuperCub/MobileSafari/2G/

Does it matter? Honda (like all manufacturers) only care about bottom line....I am sure each manufacturer has a target sales figure for each segment of the market, it wont matter greatly to them if other manufactures sell more than them in one segment unless their sales targets aren't being met. Fact is overall Honda sales for all segments exceeds any other manufacturer....therefore greater profit.

If Honda did not met its sales targets for its off-road then they would probably stop producing them, but I would say that's unlikely to ever happen given they still sell a truckload.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/9/2015 7:34pm
OW38B wrote:
FYI: MOTOCROSS BIKE CURRENTLY OWNED: 2009 - Honda 32.4%, Yam 26.5%, KTM 10.9% 2010 - Honda 30.5%, Yam 26.0%, KTM 12.1% 2011 - Honda 29.4%, Yam...
FYI:

kiwifan wrote:
yes a Vital survey clearly relates to world wide sales.....NOT...it only shows what vital members ride/buy. I do find it interesting, however, that Yamaha riders are...
yes a Vital survey clearly relates to world wide sales.....NOT...it only shows what vital members ride/buy. I do find it interesting, however, that Yamaha riders are almost the same % less than Honda.....and they produce two strokes :-)

Yes a VitalMX survey clearly relates to MORE of what we are talking about in this thread. You have seemed to lost focus on that.
kiwifan
7/9/2015 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 9:28pm
OW38B wrote:
FYI:

kiwifan wrote:
yes a Vital survey clearly relates to world wide sales.....NOT...it only shows what vital members ride/buy. I do find it interesting, however, that Yamaha riders are...

OW38B wrote:
Yes a VitalMX survey clearly relates to MORE of what we are talking about in this thread. You have seemed to lost focus on that.
I was focused on your own unfocused post dude! :-) Your stats had NOTHING to do with the original post, you like others merely went into a KTM vs Honda war of words, so I responded in kind.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/10/2015 9:26am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2015 9:27am
kiwifan wrote:

OW38B wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
I was focused on your own unfocused post dude! :-) Your stats had NOTHING to do with the original post, you like others merely went into...
I was focused on your own unfocused post dude! :-) Your stats had NOTHING to do with the original post, you like others merely went into a KTM vs Honda war of words, so I responded in kind.
It directly correlates to the thread and the direction you had taken it, that Honda MX market share has a downward trend as does Yamaha's to a lesser degree, why I included them.

That is why I posted on the origin of the "Curse of the Bambino" as many who are not in the US and baseball fans may not get the reference. Read it again and you will see what I'm talking about.

Honda has had many a rider and bikes more than capable of winning but since RC4 was dismissed SOMETHING always happens. Tomac this year, is a great example.

And for the record I rode Honda's for 12 straight years and have never owned a KTM.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/27/2016 9:58pm
From MXA:

THEY SAID IT: HRC HONDA TEAM MANAGER DAN BENTLEY
“I’m really bummed [about the fact that all of the HRC Honda riders were injured and missed Washougal]. In all my years with Honda, I can’t remember one time where we didn’t have any riders at all racing at an event. It’s been a tough season for us. Trey and Justin are both out with concussions, and Cole is still recovering from surgery on his hand. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again and we can have the Oklahoma boys back for Unadilla. In the meantime, we appreciate our loyal fans’ continued support and well wishes.”
RPM68
7/27/2016 10:45pm
...this.

Just imagine how many crf50's are sold in the world,for $70 over cost, they'd still prolly shit all over KTM sales...

It wouldn't surprise me if Honda sold more TRX420TM's than all of KTM's inventory. It's no contest on what they sell.

How they invest their money is completely different, KTM is brilliant, they know their industry, and their limit. Same as if Michelin made a factory effort into the industry. Why would they spend millions if they already shit all over dunlop and bridgestone and pirelli. Another analogy, FLY RACING... My favorite brand in the world, the only thing I wear. Does it benefit them to give RD1 $1.2 million a year vs canard 800k? No. Fly kicks ass b/c they spend money advertising, and training their employees, to spend time with their local community, sponsor local racing events, offer contingency programs, and distribute their money elsewhere. None of it is wrong, its just different tactics. Honda, will always win, look at how Rossi got fucked last year, if y'all could only hear the stories about how a 2nd rider on factory Yamaha got fucked over so many times...vs Honda can give equal equipment to both riders. Money, distribution, profit...3 things that weren't considered before the OP typed up this bullshit.

sorry for the rant, but cmon, yall cant think its some stupid fucking curse...Hell, our President is proof that you can in fact go Black and go back....
MotoGuido
7/27/2016 11:07pm
newmann wrote:
Honda doesn't give two shits about us minions who thrive on moto. They make ten times the money off of drunk ass rednecks and four wheeler...
Honda doesn't give two shits about us minions who thrive on moto. They make ten times the money off of drunk ass rednecks and four wheeler sales. One day when MX and SX no longer give two shits about Honda, maybe they will pull their heads out of their asses. Meanwhile, back in Japan....

Couldn't have said it better.

The more I learn about Honda the more I want nothing to do with them.

Them failing seems just. Bummer for the riders though.

Post a reply to: Is Factory Team Honda suffering from the Curse of the GOAT....Curse of the Bambino.

The Latest