Is Eli Tomac the strangest competitor is all of racing sports...?

1/7/2018 8:14am
So the VSPBT (Vital Sports Psychologist Brain Trust) has decided:

Tomac is a chump because he didn't want to ride in front of thousands of people with his ass hanging out.

Tomac is a girly-man because he may not have wanted to race and do triples with his riding britches wrapped around his knees and ankles.

Tomac is weak-minded because a crash (that only he experienced) not only somehow opened his riding britches and apparently has reinjured a shoulder while quite possibly concussing him, caused him to call it a night.

Tomac, sans at least a 30 second lead, tosses in the towel and either quits or gives up and settles for a lower position at finish.

Any defense of Tomac means the defender is butt-hurt and unable to deal with his/her idol failing and in spite of mountains of evidence to the contrary (available here) are now worse than JS7's fans.

Broken brake lines, bent rotors, other mechanical issues don't count if it happens to Tomac.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but I've got things to do today. I'm always in a learning mode, so just wanted to sum up some of VSPBT's thoughts.

RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
1/7/2018 8:33am
So the VSPBT (Vital Sports Psychologist Brain Trust) has decided: Tomac is a chump because he didn't want to ride in front of thousands of people...

Tomac is a chump because he didn't want to ride in front of thousands of people with his ass hanging out.

Tomac is a girly-man because he may not have wanted to race and do triples with his riding britches wrapped around his knees and ankles.

Tomac is weak-minded because a crash (that only he experienced) not only somehow opened his riding britches and apparently has reinjured a shoulder while quite possibly concussing him, caused him to call it a night.

Tomac, sans at least a 30 second lead, tosses in the towel and either quits or gives up and settles for a lower position at finish.

Any defense of Tomac means the defender is butt-hurt and unable to deal with his/her idol failing and in spite of mountains of evidence to the contrary (available here) are now worse than JS7's fans.

Broken brake lines, bent rotors, other mechanical issues don't count if it happens to Tomac.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but I've got things to do today. I'm always in a learning mode, so just wanted to sum up some of VSPBT's thoughts.

Amazing,
All these vital Psychologist that have come to these conclusions with out even knowing what Eli's after crash issues were. I would guess it was more than just his pants coming unbuckled.
1/7/2018 8:34am
So the VSPBT (Vital Sports Psychologist Brain Trust) has decided: Tomac is a chump because he didn't want to ride in front of thousands of people...

I think you pretty much nailed. Good example of how pathetic people really are.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
1/7/2018 9:39am
I think you pretty much nailed. Good example of how pathetic people really are.
Typical arrogance of the good big roast beef. Fck country.

The Shop

Mit12
1/7/2018 10:03am
This will go over like a fart in church but.... Tomac needs to work with a trainer like Aldon, Rattray or Swanepoel. He needs to have someone that can get him past his his mistakes in SX. His dad is an awesome guy but in my opinion Tomac needs someone else to get him through this.
mxb2
1/7/2018 10:11am

X2, and most complaining don't ride or even attend races.
Phantom 661
1/7/2018 10:21am
To be fair.... I'm not certain yet how hurt Tomac was after falling last night. I agree that we are seeing a pattern here (crashing) with Eli. I'm sure we'll find out more about the shoulder by next week. The comparisons here between Dunge and Eli are interesting... and valid I believe. We don't need a thread on "What would Dungey do" because we already know. Our current SX champ is the benchmark for handling adversity in a race. I hope Tomac is alright and ready to roll next Saturday. It'll make the series a lot more interesting with him in it. Buck up Eli! Lots of rounds to go.
1/7/2018 10:33am
To be fair.... I'm not certain yet how hurt Tomac was after falling last night. I agree that we are seeing a pattern here (crashing) with...
To be fair.... I'm not certain yet how hurt Tomac was after falling last night. I agree that we are seeing a pattern here (crashing) with Eli. I'm sure we'll find out more about the shoulder by next week. The comparisons here between Dunge and Eli are interesting... and valid I believe. We don't need a thread on "What would Dungey do" because we already know. Our current SX champ is the benchmark for handling adversity in a race. I hope Tomac is alright and ready to roll next Saturday. It'll make the series a lot more interesting with him in it. Buck up Eli! Lots of rounds to go.
One of the most fair and common sense posts I've seen in quite a while.
Bradj70
1/7/2018 10:34am
mx317 wrote:
Was it just me, or did you see how he was shaking when he was trying to fasten his pants?
Yes! i thought that too. im sure his heart rate/adrenaline was jacked, maybe thats why? maybe it was a minor meltdown like "i can't belive this is happening", or maybe possibly most likely he re-injured his left shoulder in that over the bar digger and the pain was setting in. Something is up, i won't be suprised if he dons't make Houston
PJRAUS
1/7/2018 10:46am
eb313 wrote:
I always find it amusing when people say things like "there’s an excuse every time he pulls off whether it’s bent rotors, sticky masters, faulty pant...
I always find it amusing when people say things like "there’s an excuse every time he pulls off whether it’s bent rotors, sticky masters, faulty pant buckles, bumping his head or other boo boos".

No one can argue with his lack of consistency in the personal performance department but to say things like bent rotors and bad master cylinders are excuses......completely ignorant. It's is kinda crazy though, he seems to have a cloud over his head at times.

And for the record, last night's race was no one's fault but his own. He went down with the lead, the pant issue wasn't directly his fault but if he hadn't crashed they may not have come undone........or was that WHY he crashed? Had they come undone already? We'll find out this week and he'll line up next week and spin some laps.......
I was at the San Diego sx back in 2000 when Vuillemin won and McGrath came second or third...everyone was scratching their heads as to why he was a bit off...he got tagged by someone in the first turn right off the start without going down and his front rotor was bent to hell....I checked it out after the race...totally unusable front brake ,but he didn't quit.
I remember at the time, I had some fox riding gear and inside the sleeve of the jersey they had printed " winners never quit and quitters never win " . Thought that was a bit wanky until I turned the front wheel of his bike and looked at that rotor and realised what a phenomenal feat of riding it was for him to finish the race let alone finish up so high...
I guess that's a big part of the reason why he won all those championships
NorCal 50+
1/7/2018 10:58am
I can see the call to Mr. Kawasaki now:
"How did our mega-million dollar rider do at the biggest race of the year?"
"He pulled off the track"
"What? Why?"
"His pants came undone."
"$*$*#&(*#*%*"

In all fairness, Eli must have had another issue, but that was the oddest pull-off I have ever seen.
PJRAUS
1/7/2018 11:06am
Alright, who the hell here watches all of the racing sports and the competitors well enough to make a hypothesis on the og posters blanket statement/question...
Alright, who the hell here watches all of the racing sports and the competitors well enough to make a hypothesis on the og posters blanket statement/question?

Maybe he just didn't want to show his ass to 60k people? Maybe he's "ass shy"? Maybe he really did bust his shoulder up? He had both of them rebuilt not long ago didn't he? That was a nasty digger he took. One of those low speed ones that hurt and and ring your bell and tweak your bars and just piss you off.
I just can't understand why those pro racers never wear proper shoulder protection?
I have a fox roost 2 that's probably 20 years old...they don't make them with that mesh under the shoulder cups anymore,so I refuse to part with it and I never ride without it anymore
Like anyone else I've had some big crashes and lots of broken bones and surgeries, but never have I had a shoulder or collar bone injury.
Twice I went riding and forgot the roost 2 , first time was when I first got it and I went over the bars and flipped onto my back and the bike landed on me....lotsa bark off my back and second time was about 6 years ago ,I high sided and went in. head first ,got a concussion and a real sore neck a few cracked ribs and some blood in my lungs....
If I went out and left it behind these days, well I'd just turn around and go home.
I just don't get how pros deliberately choose not to avail themselves of proper protection,especially when they have already had multiple shoulder and or collar bone injuries...just don't get it.
Back in the day everyone wore body armour...it's like protection has gone out of fashion?
RG1
1/7/2018 11:15am
To be fair.... I'm not certain yet how hurt Tomac was after falling last night. I agree that we are seeing a pattern here (crashing) with...
There is a bit of a pattern with him crashing and making unforced errors, but I think his biggest issue is that every time he does have a crash or a big mistake, he seems to get very flustered. We've seen a few examples of it now. New Jersey SX last year where he took forever to get going and then rode terribly. Highpoint, Millville and Ironman last year where he took a long while to get going after going down and didn't ride particularly well. I don't know how badly hurt he was last night but he sat there for a long, long time shaking trying to get his trousers fastened. I can't think of many occasions where Tomac has crashed, then got up and come storming back, there probably are some, but none that stick out.
BobbyM
1/7/2018 12:55pm

Smoke another one doc.
APLMAN99
1/7/2018 1:07pm

jeffro503
1/7/2018 1:40pm
BobbyM wrote:
Smoke another one doc.
You have to admit... sometimes you make no sense.
And this is one of those times Harry. Great post btw brother.

Post a reply to: Is Eli Tomac the strangest competitor is all of racing sports...?

The Latest