Is David Knight the best "dirt bike" rider of all time?

EastFlorida
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:10am
We know RC is the GOAT...

We know MC is The King of SX...

We know Roger DeCoster is the "Man"...

We know Johnny Campbell is the master of the Baja...

But based on overall skills, is David Knight the Ironman of dirt bikes?

You have to give the guy credit for what he can do, even if he's European...
|
ocscottie
1/19/2012 8:11pm
...until Taddy arrived on the scene! Did you ever see that endurocross where Knighter launched his bike after the finish line when Taddy beat him? epic!

The Shop

1/19/2012 8:23pm
best all around on dirt, i say Geoff Aaron. He runs with Taddy, but what he has that Taddy doesnt is a whole stack of Trials Championships. Trials is... wow.

best on asphalt, 2-way tie between Wayne Rainey, Valentino.

Biggest balls, Guy Martin. hands down bordering on insanity. born without a self preservation mechanism in his brain.
EastFlorida
1/19/2012 8:25pm
yosmithy wrote:
Physically strongest, for sure
CR500Rider wrote:
Can he dead lift an XR600? [img]https://www.justxr.com/jh_info/summers.jpg[/img]
Can he dead lift an XR600?

Yeah, I think I heard he can do it curling the bike with one hand!Woohoo
Hando
1/19/2012 8:34pm
I know Knight is a bad arse but Juha Salminen is one of the bestest evers
rileymx
1/19/2012 8:40pm
best all around on dirt, i say Geoff Aaron. He runs with Taddy, but what he has that Taddy doesnt is a whole stack of Trials...
best all around on dirt, i say Geoff Aaron. He runs with Taddy, but what he has that Taddy doesnt is a whole stack of Trials Championships. Trials is... wow.

best on asphalt, 2-way tie between Wayne Rainey, Valentino.

Biggest balls, Guy Martin. hands down bordering on insanity. born without a self preservation mechanism in his brain.
funny is that taddy was a trials rider before he started to do the endurocross things.........!!!!!!!!
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
1/19/2012 8:41pm
Stefan Everts won (by quite a bit) the ISDE back in 2003. It was in Brazil, and it was mostly sand, but still, pretty crazy for him to do that.
sundios
1/19/2012 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 8:44pm
You cant leave juha salminen or mika ahola out of that list! i also think that Stefan everts is the best dirt bike rider of all time! he race in 2003 in the six days and won the overall! no one has done that!

JUHA SALMINEN
13 times WEC. 2 TIMES GNCC CHAMP. 6 TIMES OVERALL WINNER IN THE ISDE!

DAVID KNIGTH
3 Times WEC. 2 Times GNCC CHAMP. 1 time ISDE winner.

MIKA AHOLA

5 consecutive WEC. 7 isde overall winner until 2006 that he didn't race anymore the six days!

Stefan everts
10 times Mx1 Champ. 1 overall win isde!
RexBackman
1/19/2012 9:00pm
We at MX for Children like David Knight...stay tuned for why in a few weeks.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
1/19/2012 9:18pm
sundios wrote:
You cant leave juha salminen or mika ahola out of that list! i also think that Stefan everts is the best dirt bike rider of all...
You cant leave juha salminen or mika ahola out of that list! i also think that Stefan everts is the best dirt bike rider of all time! he race in 2003 in the six days and won the overall! no one has done that!

JUHA SALMINEN
13 times WEC. 2 TIMES GNCC CHAMP. 6 TIMES OVERALL WINNER IN THE ISDE!

DAVID KNIGTH
3 Times WEC. 2 Times GNCC CHAMP. 1 time ISDE winner.

MIKA AHOLA

5 consecutive WEC. 7 isde overall winner until 2006 that he didn't race anymore the six days!

Stefan everts
10 times Mx1 Champ. 1 overall win isde!
Seems any of the guys from a trials background do well too, eg Merriman, Aaron, Edmonson, etc

The crazy thing about Mika Ahola is he won his 5 consecutive titles after racing the WEC for so many years - I think in the early 90s he started, and finally won his first WEC at the age of 34 or so. You did hear that he sadly passed away this week, right?

Others that were impressive to me were Joel Smets (won his class in the first ISDE he raced in). Would love to see more MX guys give the ISDE a go. Would love to see how McGrath or Pastrana would do. Or better yet, someone like Windham.
mrquick
1/19/2012 9:21pm
Once and for all...Malcolm Smith was the best "all round" dirt bike rider of all time. Next question?
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
1/19/2012 9:22pm
Do the American's known how to change a tyre or fix a bike by them selves though? Laughing
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
1/19/2012 9:29pm
mrquick wrote:
Once and for all...Malcolm Smith was the best "all round" dirt bike rider of all time. Next question?
surely not....
MtnBoy
1/19/2012 9:42pm
ocscottie wrote:
...until Taddy arrived on the scene! Did you ever see that endurocross where Knighter launched his bike after the finish line when Taddy beat him? epic!
Knight has quite a bit that Taddy doesn't, like the speed to win World Enduros and GNCC

Pretty hard to argue with Juha as well, Knight does have a lot more accomplishments in the extreme events than Juha though. I think this is partly because they weren't as popular until later in Juha's career, if he had raced more of them he'd surely have some wins.

If I had to pick though, as much as I hate to say this, I'd probably give the knod to Knighter....he's a bad man
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
1/19/2012 9:51pm
I think Salminen only won the ISDE outright once though. I might have to pick Everts....
MtnBoy
1/19/2012 10:00pm
Eh, Everts is a bad ass, but your comparing Apples to Oranges throwing him in the ring with Knight and Salminen. Sure he won the ISDE once, but he's not even in these guys league as far as off road goes.
ocscottie
1/19/2012 10:05pm
ocscottie wrote:
MtnBoy wrote:
Knight has quite a bit that Taddy doesn't, like the speed to win World Enduros and GNCC Pretty hard to argue with Juha as well, Knight...
Knight has quite a bit that Taddy doesn't, like the speed to win World Enduros and GNCC

Pretty hard to argue with Juha as well, Knight does have a lot more accomplishments in the extreme events than Juha though. I think this is partly because they weren't as popular until later in Juha's career, if he had raced more of them he'd surely have some wins.

If I had to pick though, as much as I hate to say this, I'd probably give the knod to Knighter....he's a bad man
Very true,. as far as all around, the nod does go to David, he is a baaaad dude on a bike, in just about any discipline.

The thread just reminded me of Taddy spanking him at that EX round and Knighter not being very happy lol

Who is the guy from the Lucas Oils commercial? Colton...or something like that? I love the wheel tap he does in it.

Love watching the bike control those guys have, and especially the trials dudes!!!
MtnBoy
1/19/2012 10:09pm
ocscottie wrote:
Very true,. as far as all around, the nod does go to David, he is a baaaad dude on a bike, in just about any discipline...
Very true,. as far as all around, the nod does go to David, he is a baaaad dude on a bike, in just about any discipline.

The thread just reminded me of Taddy spanking him at that EX round and Knighter not being very happy lol

Who is the guy from the Lucas Oils commercial? Colton...or something like that? I love the wheel tap he does in it.

Love watching the bike control those guys have, and especially the trials dudes!!!
Colton Haaker, he shows up at some other off road events from time to time and I think he even tried a National Motocross once or twice.

He started out in trials and transitioned to Endurocross etc. a few years back, he does have some amazing bike skills!
ocscottie
1/19/2012 10:19pm
Do you guys remember this vid i posted a few months back? pretty damn cool! the bike control these guys have really is incredible:

Dougie Lampkin tours Renthal Ltd
https://youtu.be/Q-89to2q4gg
Hanaa80
1/19/2012 10:44pm
I know Knight can ride trials but how are his moto skills? Salminen has top ten finishes in the MX1 class in the GP's. And he has national championships in trials and MX.. (of course I say Salminen is the best, I'm finnish)
BobbyM
1/19/2012 11:02pm
We know RC is the GOAT... We know MC is The King of SX... We know Roger DeCoster is the "Man"... We know Johnny Campbell is...
We know RC is the GOAT...

We know MC is The King of SX...

We know Roger DeCoster is the "Man"...

We know Johnny Campbell is the master of the Baja...

But based on overall skills, is David Knight the Ironman of dirt bikes?

You have to give the guy credit for what he can do, even if he's European...
no...if the guy was as badass as you think road racing wouldn't be out of the question...but it is.
ocscottie
1/19/2012 11:09pm
Very cool Jeff! old...but way cool Cool Loved the wall climb at the end!

Post a reply to: Is David Knight the best "dirt bike" rider of all time?

The Latest