Is Davey Coombs the next Luongo???

swizcore
3/25/2010 7:48am
It seems to me that 11 out of the 12 Nationals don't seem to have a problem. Who has the problem?
Simply stated and true.
englishman
3/25/2010 7:56am
Reading what Jody wrote on MXA website , and he maybe somewhat biased , it sounds like they want to turn the nationals in to out door supercross.

swizcore
3/25/2010 8:07am
englishman wrote:
Reading what Jody wrote on MXA website , and he maybe somewhat biased , it sounds like they want to turn the nationals in to out...
Reading what Jody wrote on MXA website , and he maybe somewhat biased , it sounds like they want to turn the nationals in to out door supercross.

I hope he is speaking with bias because that would be an absolute travesty.
Racer111
3/25/2010 8:31am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2010 8:32am
RACERX69 wrote:
DC and MX Sports seem suspect at this point. A rumor pops up that 3 West Coast rounds are now in jeopordy of losing their race...
DC and MX Sports seem suspect at this point. A rumor pops up that 3 West Coast rounds are now in jeopordy of losing their race this year. DC shows up and quashes the rumor. Turns out, the rumor was partly correct. Then Jody from MXA is saying there have been constant battles with the promoting officials over track length, graded race courses, etc.

Sounds to me, MX Sports may have un-realistic requests of these track owners and they're now beginning to push back. Maybe DC's goal of making the sport more TV friendly is infringing upon the attributes that make Outdoor MX the greatest motor sport in the world. The owners see this happening and they're not interested in helping DC dumb down the sport.

I'm real curious what type of tactics are being used at MX Sports. Are they threatining the track owners with race cancellations if they don't conceed? Quite possibly. Maybe that's why they pulled with GH???

This all just sounds like a Luongo fiasco to me.
DC didn't quash the rumor. He IN FACT said 2 out if the 3 were playing ball. It also appears that 11 out 12 played ball. GH did not. DC isn't the "Head Honcho" at MX Sports either. He is 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.

The Shop

Trip
3/25/2010 8:54am
Trip wrote:
You have it backwards.. DC is about signage. When a track builder wants to take down a sign that is mesing up the way he built...
You have it backwards.. DC is about signage. When a track builder wants to take down a sign that is mesing up the way he built the track, and DC says no the sign stays and the jump gets made smaller. DC doesn't understand tracks and racing at all.
GuyB wrote:
The structure was obviously placed on the wrong jump, and by the time they figured it out, it definitely would have been too late to remove...
The structure was obviously placed on the wrong jump, and by the time they figured it out, it definitely would have been too late to remove it. You don't do target practice with riders in the air through a metal structure. What was done was best for the time available.

Trip, I get that you're upset, but to say that DC doesn't understand tracks and racing is beyond dumb.
Who's running things?? By the time they figured it out??? We saw it going up, and thought it looked weird.. Guys who are supposed to know where to place signage blew it. Rather than take the sign down, or move it, they decided to shave the jump? That sign could of been taken down in 15 minutes. Monster is the series sponsor, no deal could of been worked out to have either some money back or an extra sign at another track?? Not even thought of huh? DC understands stroking the sponsor at the cost of the fans.

I really think DC is going about this all wrong.. Trying to cater to a potential fan base, while pissing off the fan base that is already here.. Who watches TV on Saturday afternoons in the summer?

What would be the feeling if Luongo had pulled something like this??? He would of been castrated. There needs to be checks and balances, and right now one man (just like in the gp's) is making all the decisions. Nobody to check.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/25/2010 9:24am
Maybe you should read it again....Glen Helen has been running that national for almost 2 decades! Now DC aznd MX sports come in and all of...
Maybe you should read it again....Glen Helen has been running that national for almost 2 decades! Now DC aznd MX sports come in and all of a sudden Glen Helen has to pull out because of contract problems?....If there wasn't a problem with the track the last 20 YEARS they whay all of a sudden is GH not "Up to par?" .....I knoe there are 2 sides but GH has always built a pure example of what MX is....Now im reading things about track lenght and sineage over big jumps? WHO DO YOU THINK PUT THAT IN THERE? Bud Feldekamp? NNNNNNNOPE.

From what Im seeing mxsports is going to ruin MX to it's core. Im sorry and I try to stay neutral about any issue till I hear both sides but I cannot see MXsports side being valid....seems more like a Luongo type operation and the track specs sound like it too. I am furious about losing GH ....anbd WILL NOT be going to Pala if that is where it is moved to.

Think about this.....what about 50% of people that attend GH as an event to enjoy like the superbowl i.e. fair weather mx fans...how are they going to know this happened? For some families they go as a tradition and will not know anything about the specifics of the "changes" and might be offended there is no GH round....it will sound like this "Pala? where is that place?" "We go to GH every year now they moved it to this place called pala?"...Think about those people ....at leasy 75% of them won't go to PALA or won't even be informed about it and this years national at Pala will flop bigtime if held there, For a lot of the fans that attend GH every year it is more of a traditional race to attend...

Only 60 days befor ethe race is supposed to go off and it is not gonna happen plus it's been on the schedule the WHOLE time??? One guy on here alrerady bought his tickets and now has nothing to go to ....think about how many more people worldwide that have already done the same and don't know about this......Angry
RACERX69 wrote:
Your first paragraph nailed it!
Well, you're wrong. Glen Helen has been on the verge of losing it for a lot longer than MXSports has been in charge. The were central to the fuss that went on in 2003 when the contracts last came up. It's been an on going issue.

It would be good if people could idenitfy the issue that broke the camel's back though. Then you could decide whether legitimate disappointment should give rage to legitimate outrage, and who any such outrage should be directed at.

I love the track at Glen Helen (although it's too fast in a couple places to be true MX IMO), but the facility isn't that great and it's located in the bunghole of southern California, unless you come in from the pavilion side. I don't have any problem putting up with that to see a race there, but I'll put up with a lot to see a race.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/25/2010 9:28am
englishman wrote:
Reading what Jody wrote on MXA website , and he maybe somewhat biased , it sounds like they want to turn the nationals in to out...

Jody talks a lot, and often visciously, but works that one race. The rest of the time he's the grouchy old guy on his porch yelling at the neighbors.

There's nothing preventing him from putting the load on his shoulder and putting his money where his mouth is to save MX and run a competing series that's true to his values.
SCIENCE
3/25/2010 9:56am
englishman wrote:

swizcore wrote:
I hope he is speaking with bias because that would be an absolute travesty.
100% agree that it would be a travesty. The tracks are way too smooth. Why? There is a great SX series that runs January to May. After that let the tracks rut up and get nasty. Of course keep the jumps safe. (personally IMHO, if it is not natural, it should go) These are the best of the best! Making it a speedway w/jumps ala Lakewood last year is ridiculous!
Also, at what point does the obvious conflict of interest with MXSports and HighPoint and Steel City come into play?
TeamGreen
3/25/2010 10:11am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:39pm
From D.C., yesterday...

That's honestly ridiculous, WORCSracer. Someone is out there spreading some doom and gloom... The only real issues are over length of contract extension and some general improvements with one facility; hopefully it will be resolved soon.

MX Sports is fully committed to motocross on the west coast and specifically in Southern California. See you May 22 at Hangtown.

DC
MX Sports

HE MADE IT CLEAR.

There was ONE facility that wasn't on-board...

There could be all sorts of reasons.

ALL sorts of Financial reasons...

It takes money to make "improvements"; so,who knows?

Post a reply to: Is Davey Coombs the next Luongo???

The Latest