Is Budds Creek done??

tcallahan707
8/21/2017 2:47pm
DC wrote:
I thought they had a better crowd than last year, but it was deceiving--the sun was so hot that everyone was under the shade, which meant...
I thought they had a better crowd than last year, but it was deceiving--the sun was so hot that everyone was under the shade, which meant not next to the race track, which made it look much less crowded than it really was.

DC
Racer X
Have there ever been conversations with promoters about attendance announcements? I'm sure without the proper oversight, they'd be inflated, but every other major sport announces attendance. I have to believe MX Sports gets a number from each promoter, as I know how much goes into evaluating and giving feedback for the following year.
honda907
8/21/2017 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 3:16pm
12:48 on Saturday. Those pop up and canopies REALLY tick people off!

And the good viewing is all taken up by the paid VIP/ Red Bull / Fly/ etc.

I know you are competing with devices and changing life styles, but millinials don't think they are getting much " value" for their 40 bucks.

Needs a total make over and make it a show like SX. It needs to be a better value for younger people cause the boomer crowd is getting old.

p

DC
8/21/2017 2:50pm
Hard to count tickets when you're running a race in real time. I'm guessing we'll know soon enough, but it's the promoters' business, and like riders with their salaries, they aren't always forthcoming.

DC
Racer X
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
8/21/2017 2:52pm
NVA57 wrote:
Would be a shame to see it go. The racing has been good in the past.

Makes me think of this epic battle:
https://youtu.be/K0ZMpEJkWCQ
Haha I thought this is a awesome battle for the lead till Emig said RV and Townley were 25 seconds up the road from them lol. That was a awesome year of racing between them two teammates!.

The Shop

rob162
Myself as well and 10 other people i know have made it out to a single national since it switched to sat. I made red bud this year. First time since it switched. If it was on sundays still i would have never missed one.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
Crowd still looked really light from what I saw on TV.

I like the track a lot. The whole section leading up to the finish line is awesome. Uphill double and then a rhythm section of doubles or singles depending on how you did it.

It would be a shame to see it go.
tcallahan707
8/21/2017 3:07pm
DC wrote:
Hard to count tickets when you're running a race in real time. I'm guessing we'll know soon enough, but it's the promoters' business, and like riders...
Hard to count tickets when you're running a race in real time. I'm guessing we'll know soon enough, but it's the promoters' business, and like riders with their salaries, they aren't always forthcoming.

DC
Racer X
I understand change is difficult which is why I asked if it's even been discussed. My question is more along the lines of "Has it been discussed to make it the business of the series and public?". Also, attendance is announced in real time during other live events. I do not know what tickets look like or if they are scanned electronically or not, as I've either been riding or working the past few times I've been at a National. If they are, the numbers should be readily available.If they aren't, seems like they should be to avoid fraud.
honda907
8/21/2017 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 3:51pm
MAIN EVENT MOTO talked a lot about the problems with outdoor MX. It is a good listen, although it was hard on outdoor MX.

Good for them. I've been around this sport since 71, racing since 77. I have never ever seen so much desention with the sport. I especially like and agree on the concepts of naming the teams, the lack of information released on riders, attendance, pay, the costs of amateur racing ( both in money and strains on families and getting an education), etc.

These things need addressed soon. Boomers like me, are the backbone of the sport. This is upside down! It's a young persons sport, but in my area we have a series called MastersMX. It sometimes gets thirty 50 plus A guys . That should be the Open A numbers, but there are no significant numbers there anymore.

When these guys get 60, the sport is going to be saying "What happened?"

I've heard we can't compete with devices. I get that. Then you need to develop a better product. We need more info out there and that is easy to do. Provide info since all those young people are on their devices. Get a good promotion company. Get info out there to those kids devices. The Prez does it everyday.

I've attended 3 national this year. Mx 338 was the only venue with spectators at the fences all the way around the track, like it should be.

But I digress. Maybe the TV numbers are so great and are hurting the live attendance. But if those numbers aren't significant, there is a real problem.
mark293
8/21/2017 4:33pm
Thanks NVA57. You made my day!!!
jmx411
8/21/2017 5:38pm
Giygas wrote:
Bring back Kenworthy.
shmacky78 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210928/s1200_IMG_3838.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210929/s1200_IMG_3839.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210930/s1200_IMG_3841.jpg[/img]

I would love to see pictures from the same spots when they had races. I thought motocross ruined the land btw. Amazing that at Kenworthy the place has already grown up.
jmx411
8/21/2017 5:40pm
DC wrote:
I thought they had a better crowd than last year, but it was deceiving--the sun was so hot that everyone was under the shade, which meant...
I thought they had a better crowd than last year, but it was deceiving--the sun was so hot that everyone was under the shade, which meant not next to the race track, which made it look much less crowded than it really was.

DC
Racer X
So better crowd and positive comment mean its coming back? Can't a guy just wish....
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
8/21/2017 7:47pm
Giygas wrote:
Bring back Kenworthy.
shmacky78 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210928/s1200_IMG_3838.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210929/s1200_IMG_3839.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210930/s1200_IMG_3841.jpg[/img]

I was just out there walking around last week. It’s very overgrown at the moment almost to the point I couldn’t even find the tunnel. I was in the area and made sure to check it out after racing there many times when I was younger. I left with a lot of nostalgia but also a lot of heartbreak.
Jack mehoff
8/21/2017 9:35pm
I would say by far this year was the biggest turn out they had since the Saturday switch
cvm
8/22/2017 2:18am
I raced buds in mid 70's to mid 80's(86). Got mid life crisis & decided to buy a tiddler, come back & piss a few 4t's off & get my rocks off in 2017. The vid showing buds w/o ruts makes me cry. Try relearning to ride w/ peg deep ruts. Have done many track days, inc'l mid week @ Budds, like almost alone. Heaven. Mr. Beasley opens this place up and I have never been short of amazed at the track prep, facility, grounds, clean, groomed. The wife ok's the real bathrooms & their cleanliness (wow!). Heaven. To go there pay $40 & ride all day is a Privledge, unheard of 30 yrs ago. I'm not beating drum sayin its BEST, But it's 1st class. Real MX. Fk these flat jump trx w/ a 40' table 10' after every corner, SX not MX. Budds is fkn Gorgeous. Like sit there w/ a grill, brew (whatever) after you ride and just admire the spectacle. And Mr. Beasley will cruze by on his way out & say thanks, be nice to my place & have fun, take your time as you grill & party.. It's heaven to a local (1.4 hr away)

To see this place shut down, Lose his national, would be devastating. The nail in the coffin that ive seen the sport demise to since I left in 86. Sad.

Ya, DC, I remember you & your family from D7 days.

Beasley, youll prob never read this, but what you do, have, and provide us all with, God Bless You & we locals cant thank you enough.

Please Don't Go Away Sad
motogrady
8/22/2017 4:09am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 4:10am
Was a d7 guy in the 70s, and the 90s.
Would hate to see the place go.
Some great times as both a rider and spectator.

But eh, I don't know if I'd deal with it like Beasley has, for so long.

I understand, it's the family farm.

But think of the money he could probably pull, even if he just sold the motocross and parking part of it to some developer.
Keep the dragstrip, cash out, pay off the parasites that have latched on, become a millionaire, enjoy life a bit.

Wouldn't blame him a bit.
shmacky78
8/22/2017 6:12am
Giygas wrote:
Bring back Kenworthy.
shmacky78 wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
I was just out there walking around last week. It’s very overgrown at the moment almost to the point I couldn’t even find the tunnel. I...
I was just out there walking around last week. It’s very overgrown at the moment almost to the point I couldn’t even find the tunnel. I was in the area and made sure to check it out after racing there many times when I was younger. I left with a lot of nostalgia but also a lot of heartbreak.
Ya this was in December last winter. We purposely went then, so we would be able to see a little more. We still had to climb through the forest to see any of the jumps that are left. Sad indeed
mx317
8/22/2017 6:28am
Live TV hurts attendance. There is a reason why some sports did "blackouts" of coverage when the event was near enough to attend.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/22/2017 7:32am
mx317 wrote:
Live TV hurts attendance. There is a reason why some sports did "blackouts" of coverage when the event was near enough to attend.
I think I would rather just get in the car and drive to Freestone instead of navigating the current TV schedule.
newmann
8/22/2017 8:25am
mx317 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
I think I would rather just get in the car and drive to Freestone instead of navigating the current TV schedule.
I've bought satellite dishes several times in the not so distant past just to be able to get the channels that showed moto. Had to change providers, go back to cable, now to surf the channels, buy a gold pack, hook up the laptop....sometimes it just comes down to checking the results on Vital when it's over and done. Freestone was a bit of a haul, but we made it every year. Too much work, projects and kids being grown has left little time to get a full on moto fix, but some of us old guys are still hanging in there... for the moment.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/22/2017 11:34am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 11:35am
I hung in there until this year. I used to seek out all 4 motos, set the DVR, and watch everything together on Sunday. Not having the first motos televised this year, I've grown apathetic and rarely even catch the second motos. On the bright side, it has freed up 4 hours a weekend and I'm all caught up on house projects!

Edit: Meant to quote newmann ^^^
NorCal 50+
8/22/2017 12:53pm
cvm wrote:
I raced buds in mid 70's to mid 80's(86). Got mid life crisis & decided to buy a tiddler, come back & piss a few 4t's...
I raced buds in mid 70's to mid 80's(86). Got mid life crisis & decided to buy a tiddler, come back & piss a few 4t's off & get my rocks off in 2017. The vid showing buds w/o ruts makes me cry. Try relearning to ride w/ peg deep ruts. Have done many track days, inc'l mid week @ Budds, like almost alone. Heaven. Mr. Beasley opens this place up and I have never been short of amazed at the track prep, facility, grounds, clean, groomed. The wife ok's the real bathrooms & their cleanliness (wow!). Heaven. To go there pay $40 & ride all day is a Privledge, unheard of 30 yrs ago. I'm not beating drum sayin its BEST, But it's 1st class. Real MX. Fk these flat jump trx w/ a 40' table 10' after every corner, SX not MX. Budds is fkn Gorgeous. Like sit there w/ a grill, brew (whatever) after you ride and just admire the spectacle. And Mr. Beasley will cruze by on his way out & say thanks, be nice to my place & have fun, take your time as you grill & party.. It's heaven to a local (1.4 hr away)

To see this place shut down, Lose his national, would be devastating. The nail in the coffin that ive seen the sport demise to since I left in 86. Sad.

Beasley, youll prob never read this, but what you do, have, and provide us all with, God Bless You & we locals cant thank you enough.

Please Don't Go Away Sad
Losing Budds would TRULY suck. I don't see it happening. Judging from Beasley's FB posts, the local moto population would probably kick in the money to keep this iconic track open. It is the crown jewel of mid-Atlantic motocross and no other track in the region even comes close to its status.
mxb2
8/22/2017 1:11pm
cvm wrote:
I raced buds in mid 70's to mid 80's(86). Got mid life crisis & decided to buy a tiddler, come back & piss a few 4t's...

Please Don't Go Away Sad
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Losing Budds would TRULY suck. I don't see it happening. Judging from Beasley's FB posts, the local moto population would probably kick in the money to...
Losing Budds would TRULY suck. I don't see it happening. Judging from Beasley's FB posts, the local moto population would probably kick in the money to keep this iconic track open. It is the crown jewel of mid-Atlantic motocross and no other track in the region even comes close to its status.
Pretty sure he has plenty of $$..
tylermx967
8/22/2017 3:47pm
WOW DOSE THIS MEAN THAT FREESTONE CAN COME BACK TO THE PRO RACES??? WHEN WE GOED THERE IN 2010 MATT MOSS GIVED ME HIS GOGGILS FORM THE TRUCK AT TEAM SUSZUKI.
BobPA
8/22/2017 3:55pm
cvm wrote:

Please Don't Go Away Sad
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Losing Budds would TRULY suck. I don't see it happening. Judging from Beasley's FB posts, the local moto population would probably kick in the money to...
mxb2 wrote:
Apparently you missed his Facebook meltdown a few months ago.
mxb2
8/22/2017 4:04pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Apparently you missed his Facebook meltdown a few months ago.
I saw it, that's why I said he isn't hurting for $$,. Different issues other than a MX track. Lol.

Post a reply to: Is Budds Creek done??

The Latest