Is Arenacross done?

JohnnyT_983
5/5/2018 4:37am
Matt walker posted yesterday that Vegas could be the last arenacross. That it could be dissolved into just an amateur sx.
This was the first time I had heard of it, does anyone have any info?

Link
https://instagram.com/p/BiXeU31gWCP/
|
rmoto003
5/5/2018 4:46am
Well i mean look at that huge crowd!!
5/5/2018 4:48am
Matt walker posted yesterday that Vegas could be the last arenacross. That it could be dissolved into just an amateur sx. This was the first time...
Matt walker posted yesterday that Vegas could be the last arenacross. That it could be dissolved into just an amateur sx.
This was the first time I had heard of it, does anyone have any info?

Link
https://instagram.com/p/BiXeU31gWCP/
Thats the story, don't write it off yet though, someone else may take it over.
kb228
5/5/2018 5:04am
I kindof look at arenacross as am sx already anyways. Piggyback it off sx on sundays.

The Shop

drt410
5/5/2018 5:30am
Ax was never that good. The track is wayy too small.
rhargrave431
5/5/2018 5:56am
I wonder if it did go away, if somehow Feld would hold on to the rights to it so another promoter couldn't come in and take it over.
mb
5/5/2018 6:11am
I looked into going to one this year. $35 was the cheapest seat I could find, for that much I'll just go to SX...
downard254
5/5/2018 7:00am
There will always be AX, it just won’t be a national series. Be more local promoters put them on like they used to.
tkimb
5/5/2018 7:43am
Same. Idk what it is just the super small tracks don't provide the same entertainment.
The crowds are also a joke, like in that pic and the few I've seen of the Kicker series. I almost find it funny when the announcer is screaming trying to pump everyone up, and there's like 100 people in the whole place.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
5/5/2018 10:01am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 10:01am
When Mike Kidd stated and built up the original Arenacross series it was standing room only and then he sold it and it went down hill. There were two AX series at one time and the sport was not big enough for two competing promoters and this is what has become of a once thriving series. Sad
Flip109
5/5/2018 10:27am
They should make it a 125cc only series. That would spice it up. For me anyway. Might actually watch it.
agn5009
5/5/2018 11:18am
Flip109 wrote:
They should make it a 125cc only series. That would spice it up. For me anyway. Might actually watch it.
You might. And a bunch of others from vital might. Outside of that though it would still fail. The average fan doesn't care whether they're on a 2 or 4 stroke.
JohnnyT_983
5/5/2018 11:22am
Flip109 wrote:
Or make it a two stroke only style series. Or use the funds to run a two stroke series with the current sx series.
calcoast
5/5/2018 11:35am
I would always refer to AX as a minor league for SX to my non moto friends.

I went when they came to Sacramento last year and had a good time.

They should seriously go back to having it during the fall/winter. I’m into any kind of dirt bike racing and if that’s all there is to watch I’m tuning in. Right now I feel it kind of gets lost in the shuffle with SX NBA NHL and MLB going on, at least for me.
JustMX
5/5/2018 12:05pm
I wonder if it did go away, if somehow Feld would hold on to the rights to it so another promoter couldn't come in and take...
I wonder if it did go away, if somehow Feld would hold on to the rights to it so another promoter couldn't come in and take it over.
There aren't a whole lot of rights to it other than being able to call at an AMA national championship.

Any promoter can call it a national series as long as it isn't ama sanctioned.

Where feld could make it hard is to tie up the best arenas by either booking concerts or other entertainment or by scheduling motorsports events that include some kind of motorcycle racing that would enact a no-similar-events clause that is often included in venues' standard contracts. Seems like they were 90 days before or after, so if a promoter had a motorcycle race event in mid January no similar events could book from mid October to mid april. Mid April to mid October is not the prime time for indoor racing.
mb60
5/5/2018 12:15pm
Take the AMA out and bring it back to the grass roots era.
rhargrave431
5/5/2018 12:37pm
I wonder if it did go away, if somehow Feld would hold on to the rights to it so another promoter couldn't come in and take...
JustMX wrote:
There aren't a whole lot of rights to it other than being able to call at an AMA national championship. Any promoter can call it a...
There aren't a whole lot of rights to it other than being able to call at an AMA national championship.

Any promoter can call it a national series as long as it isn't ama sanctioned.

Where feld could make it hard is to tie up the best arenas by either booking concerts or other entertainment or by scheduling motorsports events that include some kind of motorcycle racing that would enact a no-similar-events clause that is often included in venues' standard contracts. Seems like they were 90 days before or after, so if a promoter had a motorcycle race event in mid January no similar events could book from mid October to mid april. Mid April to mid October is not the prime time for indoor racing.
That's kinda what I meant. Or they could say they are taking one year off to rebuild and gather themselves... Maybe that keeps the AMA in their pocket so another promoter doesn't up and start over with AMA sanctioning.
5/5/2018 12:38pm
Flip109 wrote:
Or make it a two stroke only style series. Or use the funds to run a two stroke series with the current sx series.
Give it up with the two strokes already!! If ya'll want two strokes so bad and think they will make the sport boom, start your own series. You'll be rich.
JustMX
5/5/2018 12:56pm
drt410 wrote:
Ax was never that good. The track is wayy too small.
Don't know how long you have been following it but anybody that was around back when mike kidd was running the national ax series could easily argue against your statement.

It was a rocking series back in the mid 90's until he sold it to clear channel. It had good sponsorship, paid good money, great pre event pr, and could make you somebody to watch if you could mix it up with Mike jones, adoponte (sp?), stephenson, antunez, gibson, rand, palmer, buehl, and all the other regulars.

And the 125 and 250 2st were definitely more suited to the tight, hyper tracks.
Moto Mofo
5/5/2018 6:43pm
Arenacross was an EXCELLENT show back when Mike Kidd was still involved. The big thing to me, the series lost a lot of it’s luster as soon as the format changed, and riders didn’t ride two different size bikes each night, two nights in a row anymore.

Yeah I know it’ll never happen, but if someone brought back the old format, and had everyone race both 125s and 250s (maybe even allow 2T vs 4T in that class), I can’t help but imagine it being an extremely exciting series again.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
5/5/2018 8:53pm
I don't think ax as a whole will go away in full. If feld drops the ball someone will pick it back up. There will be a vacuum and it can make money. Currently there is already the nitro ax series which could expand heck even piggyback off of the Canada series. Something will fill the void
jsmi33966
5/6/2018 9:50am
mb60 wrote:
Agreed. The whole sport is dying and the AMA has not done shit to stop it. This needs to be addressed publicly by the AMA and they are ignoring it. The dealership and the local tracks are where the help is needed. No one is promoting this sport. At one point in time JS7 was on the tonight show and by now no one knows who Jason Anderson is. Out with the AMA. What does the AMA do?
JustMX
5/6/2018 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 7:23pm
mb60 wrote:
jsmi33966 wrote:
Agreed. The whole sport is dying and the AMA has not done shit to stop it. This needs to be addressed publicly by the AMA and...
Agreed. The whole sport is dying and the AMA has not done shit to stop it. This needs to be addressed publicly by the AMA and they are ignoring it. The dealership and the local tracks are where the help is needed. No one is promoting this sport. At one point in time JS7 was on the tonight show and by now no one knows who Jason Anderson is. Out with the AMA. What does the AMA do?
One has to stand out from the crowd to get exposure. James had a little more of a story for public consumption.

Oh, and ama no longer has much incentive to do pr for pro racing, since they don't actually own it anymore.
kunk
Fantasy
3008th
5/6/2018 7:32pm
Flip109 wrote:
Give it up with the two strokes already!! If ya'll want two strokes so bad and think they will make the sport boom, start your own...
Give it up with the two strokes already!! If ya'll want two strokes so bad and think they will make the sport boom, start your own series. You'll be rich.
I went several times to the Will Rogers arena where the original Arenacross was held. There was so much smoke in there I probably got lead poisoning.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
5/6/2018 7:42pm
I went Saturday night and was kind of dumbfounded at the lack of crowd. The event would have been a great night of racing, until Blose got hurt. This was a tight series going into the night and while it's not MX or SX, its still racing 2 wheels on dirt with jumps, whoops, etc. I actually like the tight racing and action. I like the format. If there was a race in AZ, I would most certainly go every year. It's just lacking something as a whole (not the racing) and the crowd was super lame.

Post a reply to: Is Arenacross done?

The Latest