Ironman Amateur Day Turnout

eric427
Fantasy
3789th
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2022 10:02am
Huge turnout yesterday at the Ironman Amateur day. 80 entries in Open C, I was blown away...

ett
|
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
8/29/2022 7:49pm
I raced it 2021 and the turnout was huge as well.

They ended up running the program as one (longer) moto format because there was no way they would get two motos done (plus it was super hot last year also).

Love racing that track, one of my all time favorites.
eric427
Fantasy
3789th
8/29/2022 8:02pm
MXVet261 wrote:
I raced it 2021 and the turnout was huge as well. They ended up running the program as one (longer) moto format because there was no...
I raced it 2021 and the turnout was huge as well.

They ended up running the program as one (longer) moto format because there was no way they would get two motos done (plus it was super hot last year also).

Love racing that track, one of my all time favorites.
Yeah the track is so much fun. It's interesting that they did that last year because it was two motos yesterday. We had a 6.5 hour drive home so we didn't stay for second motos because it was taking so long. That was the only bummer part of the weekend for me.
ajk423
8/30/2022 3:59am
I was there the last few years, not this year though. What is so hard for them about getting their shit together on amateur day? Why does it take so long and like last year getting screwed with one moto. The track is awesome and redbud and sunset ridge only a couple hrs away can handle that kind of turnout easily?

The Shop

motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
8/30/2022 4:31am
That turnout is awesome. They need to make it 2 days like Unadilla and have practice and Moto 1 on Friday and Moto 2 on Sunday.
freeh
8/30/2022 6:09am
Do most amateurs jump the big jumps? They look ridiculous on TV, which means they are even more impressive in person.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
8/30/2022 6:25am
freeh wrote:
Do most amateurs jump the big jumps? They look ridiculous on TV, which means they are even more impressive in person.
Depends on what you mean by "most" LOL. You and me, NO. Mitch Zaremba, YES.

FYI they don't run the Godzilla up/down for amateurs.
freeh
8/30/2022 6:28am
Fair point. You know I am not jumping those things! lol. I should have specified vet B/C guys. I was not aware they don't run the Godzilla section either. Do they have any other amateur events? I tried looking it up but could not find anything.
rdawg427
8/30/2022 7:49am
Also nice that there are only 25 motos, unlike the northeast where they have sometimes 30+
fatcat
8/30/2022 8:12am
ajk423 wrote:
I was there the last few years, not this year though. What is so hard for them about getting their shit together on amateur day? Why...
I was there the last few years, not this year though. What is so hard for them about getting their shit together on amateur day? Why does it take so long and like last year getting screwed with one moto. The track is awesome and redbud and sunset ridge only a couple hrs away can handle that kind of turnout easily?
Same here. Raced 60+ class last year. Waited around all day to find out 2nd motos cancelled and no refunds. This year I rode Friday practice and left after pro race Saturday.
fatcat
8/30/2022 8:17am
32 entries in 50+. Holy crap that's great.
Looking at this years results, 19 of the 32 left before the shortened 3 lap 2nd moto.
JBPhotos
8/30/2022 8:25am
freeh wrote:
A lot of em, yes. It's interesting watching earlier in the day, as people size it up. A LOT of people cased the skyscraper, and the crowd around the jump would audibly "oooooooo." It was awesome.

And it did run long, but to their credit, they really got it together in the second motos. They cut the races by a lap, and were churning through motos pretty fast.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
8/30/2022 9:04am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2022 9:04am
ajk423 wrote:
I was there the last few years, not this year though. What is so hard for them about getting their shit together on amateur day? Why...
fatcat wrote:
Same here. Raced 60+ class last year. Waited around all day to find out 2nd motos cancelled and no refunds. This year I rode Friday practice...
Same here. Raced 60+ class last year. Waited around all day to find out 2nd motos cancelled and no refunds. This year I rode Friday practice and left after pro race Saturday.
Not sure what you are talking about. They never cancelled 2nd motos last year -- they announced after morning practice it was one moto format and added a lap because of it.
I knew sitting on the gate for 40 and 50 that it was one moto...........
fatcat
8/30/2022 9:46am
ajk423 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Same here. Raced 60+ class last year. Waited around all day to find out 2nd motos cancelled and no refunds. This year I rode Friday practice...
MXVet261 wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about. They never cancelled 2nd motos last year -- they announced after morning practice it was one moto format and...
Not sure what you are talking about. They never cancelled 2nd motos last year -- they announced after morning practice it was one moto format and added a lap because of it.
I knew sitting on the gate for 40 and 50 that it was one moto...........
Ok, my memory isn't what it used to be, but we did sign up for our classes before practice, thinking we were gonna race 2 motos like any other year. You're right, they announced the one moto format after practice, so they actually did cancel the 2nd moto. My frustration was actually caused by waiting around all day to run only one moto.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
8/30/2022 10:25am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2022 10:25am
freeh wrote:
Fair point. You know I am not jumping those things! lol. I should have specified vet B/C guys. I was not aware they don't run the...
Fair point. You know I am not jumping those things! lol. I should have specified vet B/C guys. I was not aware they don't run the Godzilla section either. Do they have any other amateur events? I tried looking it up but could not find anything.
Brian -- there are no "regular" races at Ironman. Just LL areas/regionals (none in 2022), GNCC, ATV National, and National am day.

Post a reply to: Ironman Amateur Day Turnout

The Latest