Introducing the 1996 CR250

scooter5002
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2013 9:07pm
Well, I finally got this thing home Monday night, after a 17 hour round trip. Driving at the new Ohio speed limit, and then some. In every state and province I drove in.
Met up with the owner Monday morning, he drove it into Marietta and was a half hour early, parked in front of the motel at 7am. Saved me driving into the boonies, which is what we originally agreed to. Bullshitted with him for 40 minutes, good guy. Needed money to fix his truck transmission, so he had to off the 96. Said his uncle originally owned, and raced it. If he did, it's pretty hard to tell. The thing is in better shape then what the CL pics showed. Apparently his uncle couldn't ride anymore, I didn't ask why. So, it sat in his shed forever, until the need for money outweighed its space in the shed. He even offered to give me his tiedowns, but I couldn't do it. Worst part is, his birthday present was watching me roll away with his bike, he turned 31 on Sunday. Asked me if he could hear it run one more time, before it left. Lol All in all, the guy was great to deal with. Kind of makes you believe there are some good people left in the world.

Rode about 4 laps on it yesterday, just to get a feel for the motor. I'll need to go through it before I get on it hard, and its got stock springs in it for sure. Rode like a marshmallow, and bottoming through some braking chop I barely knew was there on my 93. Not good. Seems like it has a little more bottom end, but boy, does it hit harder in the middle. A hell of a motor, I can see why guys rode these in the day. I was on Yamaha in that era, the motors had more grunt, but certainly not the mid or over rev. Got to love that, don't want to shift for that extra 200 feet coming into a corner? Don't, just rev it til dogs howl.

A couple of pics for the interested. This things a gem.

The only fault I could find on the bike. Yes, it was oiled.

The bike the 96 will replace, if I can talk myself into it. This things so nice, I might have to turn it into a garage queen, for keeps. After CamPs 95, it got me thinking.......
Yes, that's the OEM tank. 20 year old plastic and Klotz race fuel. Bad combo.

|
CamP
9/19/2013 6:18am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2013 6:19am
Nice score! Based on the frame and clutch cover wear, it doesn't have much time on it at all. Looks like about 20 hours.
slipdog
9/19/2013 6:23am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2013 6:25am
That thing is a beauty!

I really like the 2 stage air filter... You're going to attract a lot of attention when you go to the track. Strip off the numbers and the fox heads and your set. Oh, maybe maybe throw on some landing gear springs from a C131 cargo plane and you feel like Showtime, just don't try any Nac-Nac's. Smile

(P.S. don't get me started on the chrome pipe!)
Outsider
9/19/2013 6:32am
What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

The Shop

davistld01
9/19/2013 7:05am
Great find! My '96 was probably one of my favorite bikes of all time, after getting the suspension tuned.
bents
Fantasy
909th
9/19/2013 7:15am
A 1996?? That thing is absolutely pristine-what a great find-now spill the beans. What did you pay for that bad boy??
mxb2
9/19/2013 7:27am
Well, I finally got this thing home Monday night, after a 17 hour round trip. Driving at the new Ohio speed limit, and then some. In...
Well, I finally got this thing home Monday night, after a 17 hour round trip. Driving at the new Ohio speed limit, and then some. In every state and province I drove in.
Met up with the owner Monday morning, he drove it into Marietta and was a half hour early, parked in front of the motel at 7am. Saved me driving into the boonies, which is what we originally agreed to. Bullshitted with him for 40 minutes, good guy. Needed money to fix his truck transmission, so he had to off the 96. Said his uncle originally owned, and raced it. If he did, it's pretty hard to tell. The thing is in better shape then what the CL pics showed. Apparently his uncle couldn't ride anymore, I didn't ask why. So, it sat in his shed forever, until the need for money outweighed its space in the shed. He even offered to give me his tiedowns, but I couldn't do it. Worst part is, his birthday present was watching me roll away with his bike, he turned 31 on Sunday. Asked me if he could hear it run one more time, before it left. Lol All in all, the guy was great to deal with. Kind of makes you believe there are some good people left in the world.

Rode about 4 laps on it yesterday, just to get a feel for the motor. I'll need to go through it before I get on it hard, and its got stock springs in it for sure. Rode like a marshmallow, and bottoming through some braking chop I barely knew was there on my 93. Not good. Seems like it has a little more bottom end, but boy, does it hit harder in the middle. A hell of a motor, I can see why guys rode these in the day. I was on Yamaha in that era, the motors had more grunt, but certainly not the mid or over rev. Got to love that, don't want to shift for that extra 200 feet coming into a corner? Don't, just rev it til dogs howl.

A couple of pics for the interested. This things a gem.

The only fault I could find on the bike. Yes, it was oiled.

The bike the 96 will replace, if I can talk myself into it. This things so nice, I might have to turn it into a garage queen, for keeps. After CamPs 95, it got me thinking.......
Yes, that's the OEM tank. 20 year old plastic and Klotz race fuel. Bad combo.

Marietta ohio?, next time your in that area stop in at hometown honda, look for big guy in parts, real cool dude. And do not forget Robbie Knievel.ohio river jump Oct 19 in marietta, lol.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/19/2013 7:54am
Great bike, I rode a friends a few times and it had a great motor and handled great. I had a 98 cr that was the complete opposite and broke me into pieces a few times. Great find.
Torco1
9/19/2013 8:04am
Please please please keep it stock looking with those graphics and seat cover. That is one of my all-time favorite looking bikes.
Titan1
9/19/2013 8:56am
I've got a thrashed 94 CR 250 in my garage...it runs (if it had a pipe on it)....but it needs a complete restore (one day)...I loved this bike when I was a kid...but I liked the 96 better.
Lightning78
9/19/2013 9:08am
Check out this nearly BRAND NEW 94 CR250 that was for sale down here, guy wanted $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the cash I wouldve snapped this up in a heartbeat.

Look at the pipe, engine covers, frame, and graphics....it still has the original "stinger" silencer!

Titan1
9/19/2013 9:42am
Check out this nearly BRAND NEW 94 CR250 that was for sale down here, guy wanted $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the cash I wouldve snapped this...
Check out this nearly BRAND NEW 94 CR250 that was for sale down here, guy wanted $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the cash I wouldve snapped this up in a heartbeat.

Look at the pipe, engine covers, frame, and graphics....it still has the original "stinger" silencer!

That is just like the one in my garage...only in WAY better shape.

I had a guy offer me $800 for the one in my garage...$600 for that thing seems like a steal.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/19/2013 10:31am
Great bike, had a 96 and it was terrific. Honda at its best.
DrSweden
9/19/2013 10:37am
Awesome Andy!!! Nice report and writeup. For those who missed this, this bike was a CL-ad that ended up here on Vital, and Scooter5002 went and grabbed it! Doesn't get better than this. On a second note, he was coming to Europe and watch the mxdn with me, now I know where those plane ticket $ went! I totally approve though! Grinning
scooter5002
9/19/2013 1:11pm
Sorry boys, today is fly day. Posted this up and the mayhem of travel started. Sitting in Winnipeg, waiting on my connection to Edmonton. To answer the questions, I paid $1600 for the bike. Bigoldbeef posted the CL ad, (thanks AGAIN man) it was listed for 2G. I woke up at 4am the morning after I saw the ad, went to the computer and drooled on it, agonizing over whether to buy it. Texted the guy later in the day, said 4 people had looked at it, and would be back with cash. None showed, but the last buyer offered $1450, that's all he would take from me. Told him I couldn't do it to him, but said $1600 if he could keep it in his shed for a month. No prob, and we did the deal. We did a FaceTime call so I could hear and see the bike, at his insistence. After I saw it, that was enough. Got the $ sent to him, and picked it up Monday. I would have paid him full pop when I saw the ad, but it worked out for both of us.

The original plan was to ride it, but it might be too nice. I guess time will tell. It will have the stickers removed, although the guy has a really nice rear fender kit on it, applied well, so they'll stay. Again, it might just become a garage queen, there's a LOT of iron out there that's used up, so I can find another.

Sorry I couldn't make it Doc, this was my consolation prize. Had to do something, was looking forward to MXDN 2013, but it was not to be.
reded
9/19/2013 3:23pm
You guys REALLY wanna shit your pants?.....Take a look at the deal on this 09 YZ250, thats INSANE!!! http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4075928403.html Swear to god Im considering not paying...
You guys REALLY wanna shit your pants?.....Take a look at the deal on this 09 YZ250, thats INSANE!!!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4075928403.html

Swear to god Im considering not paying my rent to go buy this
If that bike were 8hrs away or less I would be the new owner. What a fuckin steal!
peelout
9/19/2013 4:21pm
Check out this nearly BRAND NEW 94 CR250 that was for sale down here, guy wanted $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the cash I wouldve snapped this...

$600?!

shit bro, you couldn't come up with 6- C notes? wtf?!

sell your bunghole to science, brah! get that fuckin' bike!
scooter5002
9/19/2013 4:44pm
You guys REALLY wanna shit your pants?.....Take a look at the deal on this 09 YZ250, thats INSANE!!! http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4075928403.html Swear to god Im considering not paying...
You guys REALLY wanna shit your pants?.....Take a look at the deal on this 09 YZ250, thats INSANE!!!

Ya, that's worth being homeless over.
mynewcr250
9/19/2013 9:07pm

reded wrote:
If that bike were 8hrs away or less I would be the new owner. What a fuckin steal!
that thing must of been gone shortly after it was posted. i got a hold of the person right after i saw the ad here and it was long gone. bummer, you could make a pretty penny off that thing.

Post a reply to: Introducing the 1996 CR250

The Latest