Interview with James Stewart talks about 2-strokes, family and Bubba's World...

Sonny
4/24/2010 2:24pm

Where did he shoot the promo in NYC?
MXEditor
4/24/2010 3:15pm
Sonny wrote:

Where did he shoot the promo in NYC?
Fuel TV Studios - just a temp place they set up for a week...
Crush
4/24/2010 3:38pm
At what races did James kill the field on his 250 2 smoker... There were a few, but I think if you go back and look at the results that year he didn't do very well and didn't do a lot of the races outdoors either...
Flatliner
4/24/2010 5:12pm
Tiki wrote:
MXEditor - Great work. What is funny, the fastest guy to ever ride a two stroke motocross bike in my opinion is James Stewart and he...
MXEditor - Great work.

What is funny, the fastest guy to ever ride a two stroke motocross bike in my opinion is James Stewart and he voiced his opinion. Little background on James if you didn't know: James rode his 125 faster then all the 250 four strokes, set fastest lap times in 2002 on a 125 while racing the Nationals - this was compared to the 250 two strokes and a few 450 four strokes. I have personally seen James lay the record fastest lap on a 112 supermini at Mammoth. I think his opinion holds some weight.

But by all means spin the story to make claims why 1993 technology is better then 2010 technology, it makes you look so smart!
Kindo of off topic, but I remember jimmy nelson at loretta's having a lap time in the top 3 overall one year on his YZ 80.

The Shop

kc358
4/24/2010 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:22pm
JW381 wrote:
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking...
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking about their first time hopping on a 2-stroke in however many years, and it was the most fun they had in a while? Maybe it didn't tickle James' fancy, but to me it sounded like a plug for the YZF. Which is why he get's paid, so it's understandable.

I don't know.

I don't want this to turn into another 2 vs 4 bullshit thread lol. That was just my opinion.
cpj36 wrote:
Being paid to ride and sell YZF's but not actually able to right now has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion on 2 stks or...
Being paid to ride and sell YZF's but not actually able to right now has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion on 2 stks or admitting he still owns any Kawasaki equipment.

I tend to agree, as long as 4 stk displacement is 2X that of a 2 stk, it's just not there anymore when I get back on the 2 stk.
Tiki wrote:
I agree with your comment. Even if two strokes were given a boost in displacement, I would have to wait until the technology caught up to...
I agree with your comment. Even if two strokes were given a boost in displacement, I would have to wait until the technology caught up to the new four strokes. I think that is ultimately the issue, not how the engine produces power but the power that comes from it.

It was a great read.
@JW381 & cpj36
It IS spam. Would someone being paid $10 million a year to advertise a 4-stroke say a 2-stroke is good? Of course not. But, I did watch Bubba's World once and the only bike he rode the entire episode was a 2-stroke.

@Tiki
The technology of 4-strokes haven't caught up with 2-strokes yet. You have your ehad on backwards. If 4-strokes were so good and technologically advanced, and better than 2-strokes, why can they still not compete head to head, 250 vs 250? Why is a 2010 450F still slower than a Service Honda CR500AF with a 1980's engine? Seems funny that this "new", "superior" technology is still behind 1980's 2-stroke technology.
kc358
4/24/2010 7:48pm
i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on...
i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on a 450! so yes he doesnt like to be beat and if riding a 450 makes it a level playing field then who wouldnt ride a 450.... now go back to that year and put RC on a 250 2t and they still would have killed the field (as james did besides RC). but yea you cant compare apples to oranges....
Shawn142 wrote:
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a...
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a steel framed Yamaha 450. He has said many times his 250 was the scariest bike he ever rode.

And why are you making crazy claims about RC? Did you not see RC struggle to beat Windham the last year of the factory 250 2-stroke? A couple motos he got flat out smoked by Windham's 450. You're clouding up your head so much with 2-stroke bias you can't remember any actual facts.

And for God sake.. quit saying 2t.. that doesn't make any f#$king sense and it looks stupid.
cpj36 wrote:
How much better was his 450? Being vastly superior I was sort of expecting vastly superior results vs RC. Not a surprise that a factory 450...
How much better was his 450? Being vastly superior I was sort of expecting vastly superior results vs RC.

Not a surprise that a factory 450 is better than a factory 250, especially after changing the tracks for them.

4 stks will always rule until they raise 2 stk displacement to get something resembling parity in torque output, but we can't' have that even if KTM & Yamaha promise to keep the fast guys off them.
@Shawn142
First of all you are comparing a 250 against a 450. Where's the fairness?
But what bugged me is your attack on 2t. Have you ever bought oil for your dirt bike, boat, weed whacker, etc? 2-stroke or 4-stroke? If you buy 2-stroke oil for anything it says 2t oil. If you buy 4-stroke oil it says 4t oil. Who looks stupid?

@cpj36
Even with the unfair displacement handicap given to the 4-strokes they do NOT trump the 250 2-strokes in torque. The most recent dyno I have seen of the 450Fs had them all range from 30.3 to 31.1lb-ft of torque. The KTM 250SX makes about 30.8lb-ft.
user760a
4/25/2010 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:23pm
so if I understand this right, both RC and James got their start on the early 1980's two stroke tri-zinger 3 wheeler?? everyone has seen pics of RC on his tri-zinger

Luckily I have got this sweet 84 model tucked away....maybe I will start practicing on it!!

Photobucket
JW381
4/26/2010 8:46am
kc358 wrote:
@JW381 & cpj36 It IS spam. Would someone being paid $10 million a year to advertise a 4-stroke say a 2-stroke is good? Of course not...
@JW381 & cpj36
It IS spam. Would someone being paid $10 million a year to advertise a 4-stroke say a 2-stroke is good? Of course not. But, I did watch Bubba's World once and the only bike he rode the entire episode was a 2-stroke.

@Tiki
The technology of 4-strokes haven't caught up with 2-strokes yet. You have your ehad on backwards. If 4-strokes were so good and technologically advanced, and better than 2-strokes, why can they still not compete head to head, 250 vs 250? Why is a 2010 450F still slower than a Service Honda CR500AF with a 1980's engine? Seems funny that this "new", "superior" technology is still behind 1980's 2-stroke technology.
KC, yeah that's exactly what I was saying. How can anyone expect a guy who is paid to carry the weight of a brand new 4-stroke on his shoulders to be praising and reminiscing about his smoking days? Sounded like spam to me, that's all.

MXEditor
4/26/2010 6:52pm
I guess John at twostrokemotocross didn't like it as much!!

"So these well meaning journalists think that the best person to ask about two-strokes is the MX Superstars, the guys who are paid to sell four-strokes to the public. Does anyone else see the folly in this thinking? Sure the journalist is happy because it sparks the debate again and if there is anything that MX fans are passionate about it’s the two-stroke vs. four-stroke debate. Many more people read their stuff and the magazine, website or media outlet is happy because more readers see their ads."

"The funny thing is that at least in the case of the Stewart interview, the journalist “defended” James by saying that he was very sincere when he said it, so it must be true. My illusion is that even if James loves the two-stroke and would love to be able to race it, he would be very sincere about telling a journalist that he prefers the four-stroke."

Actually I didn't think that "the best person to ask about two-strokes is the MX Superstars, the guys who are paid to sell four-strokes to the public"...

I just really wanted to know if he enjoyed riding the two-strokes still!

But it was cool you picked up the story...
4/26/2010 7:42pm
Of course nobody wants 2 strokes... Thats why the one I had for sale sold in 3 days and I practically had a bidding war for it.. My 2yr newer 450..... its been for sale now for 4 months, has less hours than the 250 did, and so far only 2 calls inquiring about it... and its listed for sale for less than the 250
CR250Rider
4/26/2010 7:43pm
yup, there it is, the truth

a 250 smoker built on 5 to 8 year old technology can't keep up with a 450 factory bike.

it just kills me to read something so harsh, waaaaaa
4/26/2010 7:51pm
What I also think is funny is how last year after the ride days you heard him talk about how much fun it was to go out and ride the 2 stroke... These guys are paid to say whatever the marketing manager tells them...
kc358
4/28/2010 10:53am
I heard a guy bring up a good point on twostrokemotocross.com.

If James Stewart is getting beat by your average guy on a stock bike then he just dissed himself! He is saying the only reason he can win a race is because he has a $50,000 bike. So any of those average guys on the same bike would beat him in the pro races. Good job calling yourself a bad rider Stewart.

But we all know hi isn't a bad rider so he is lying. He is a good marketer. Says what he is paid to.
2T42
4/28/2010 12:14pm
All said... Nice interview MXEditor! Very cool.

It's obvious why he has to respond the way he does on 2 strokes though. It's the same reason the magazines all give great reviews of bikes no matter what. What mag is going to say a bike is not awesome when the bike makers is paying the bills? They aren't stupid and I don't blame them, but you just have to think for yourself and understand where the info is coming from.

I heard a factory racer say that the factories do spend 15-30k on titanuim alone to try and shave a few pounds off the 450's. Apparently weight is a huge factor for pro racers after all. The average joe cant afford to shave 3-10 pounds off a bike to race, so he gets to lug the extra 25-30 pounds around the track with him lap after lap. Pros don't have to. I bet I would love to ride a 450 as well if it weighed closer to what a 2 stroke 250 does.

I also sold my YZ250 to the first person who raced to my house to buy it cash calling several times on his way down. Never even tried to offer less. I had calls for days after with serious buyers. I called about another newer one to buy and they guy would not even call me back. He said he had so many calls on it that he didnt care and if I was not going to drive 5 hours up immediately with $200 more than he was asking that he already had it sold to 2 different people one with deposit.

pie8man
4/28/2010 12:39pm
I can't believe I read any of this post past the interview, but since I did here I go.

Right now to race in the AMA, straight from the rulebook;
3.1 Engine Displacements
a. 250 Motocross Class: 0 – 125cc 2-Stroke / 150 – 250cc 4-stroke
b. 450 Motocross Class: 150 – 250cc 2-Stroke / 251 – 450cc 4-stroke

Back when 2 strokes were still made and people actually raced them professionally for the purpose of winning MX races, many, including the likes of RC and JS both stated publicly that they were at a disadvantage to the 450 4 stroke while riding 2 strokes. For those of you that cannot read between the lines, back when RC and JS had a choice to ride whatever they wanted they chose 4 strokes. Here we are 7 years later and JS still has the same opinion, eerily consistent I say.

Great interview by the way thanks!!
6/2/2010 1:20pm
Yea if i got paid that amount of money I could afford a 50,000 four stroke that would beat a stock two stroke to. This just goes to show that these riders are puppets and will do and say anything for money. This is why so many people can't afford to ride anymore. We get led to believe a four stroke is so much better and for most of us a used one is most always ragged out a new one is to expensive to buy and maintain. Its like follow the leader but the leaders are rich and don't worry about a 2000 dollar head job when a two stroke is 200 dollars for head job and most people can fix them at there house. Yea they want you to bring those exotic new machines back to them to fix. A guy with average amount of money can race a two stroke without a second mortgage. The new ktm 300xc two stroke stock will blow the doors off most 450 four stroke with thousands of dollars put into them. I love racing but can hardly afford it. If it wasn't for the two stroke I would be sitting at home watching you rich boys race, but I do have a two stroke and because of that im not at home if your 450 is so good come show me. I will be at the Three Palms race track in conroe near houston.
6/2/2010 1:50pm
MXEditor wrote:
I guess John at twostrokemotocross didn't like it as much!! [i][b]"So these well meaning journalists think that the best person to ask about two-strokes is the...
I guess John at twostrokemotocross didn't like it as much!!

"So these well meaning journalists think that the best person to ask about two-strokes is the MX Superstars, the guys who are paid to sell four-strokes to the public. Does anyone else see the folly in this thinking? Sure the journalist is happy because it sparks the debate again and if there is anything that MX fans are passionate about it’s the two-stroke vs. four-stroke debate. Many more people read their stuff and the magazine, website or media outlet is happy because more readers see their ads."

"The funny thing is that at least in the case of the Stewart interview, the journalist “defended” James by saying that he was very sincere when he said it, so it must be true. My illusion is that even if James loves the two-stroke and would love to be able to race it, he would be very sincere about telling a journalist that he prefers the four-stroke."

Actually I didn't think that "the best person to ask about two-strokes is the MX Superstars, the guys who are paid to sell four-strokes to the public"...

I just really wanted to know if he enjoyed riding the two-strokes still!

But it was cool you picked up the story...
I believe you asked the wrong questions when it came to the two stroke.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
6/2/2010 1:59pm
Why are you guys in a constant state of denial?

Davey Coombs himself said the 2 strokes are "two seconds" a lap faster than the 250F's!

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Davey-Coombs,1431/GuyB,64

And that is why they need to be banned from AMA motocross 250cc class. Not my words, straight from Mr. AMA motocross.

Let 250cc two stokes in the AMA motocross 250cc class to end the argument. If not, then the AMA, MX Sports and the rest of you are just admitting, like DC, that the two strokes are a Superior engine technology.

Quite simple................
MXEditor
6/2/2010 2:32pm
First off, I wasn't there to talk about two-strokes to be honest...I was there to ask a lot of different questions.....you can't please everyone!

On another note, it's been a great few months since I've been home here in the USA - interviewed Vinnie and Cody from OCC, JS7, Nate Kanney, Mike Stryker and Tom Hurd for grass track article, did a feature on Jay Weller and written articles on everything from MX noise to trikes...

So a little critique is welcomed.
Blake
6/2/2010 5:09pm
RC went undefeated on a 2 against a shit load of 4s.
He went undefeated on a 4 against more 4's.

There wasn't anyone at Milestone or any other track on a 450 that could beat James on a 2 stroke. Unless Reed, RC, and the best were there too.
That's straight silly to think Roger Racer is gonna beat James.
WhKnuckle
6/2/2010 7:01pm
If he rode a 450cc two stroke, he'd probably change his mind about which engine type he liked best.
6/3/2010 10:37am
MXEditor wrote:
First off, I wasn't there to talk about two-strokes to be honest...I was there to ask a lot of different questions.....you can't please everyone! On another...
First off, I wasn't there to talk about two-strokes to be honest...I was there to ask a lot of different questions.....you can't please everyone!

On another note, it's been a great few months since I've been home here in the USA - interviewed Vinnie and Cody from OCC, JS7, Nate Kanney, Mike Stryker and Tom Hurd for grass track article, did a feature on Jay Weller and written articles on everything from MX noise to trikes...

So a little critique is welcomed.
@sean Im not tryin to give you a hard time and I completly understand what the interview was all about. You just have to understand what the two stroke means to people like me. I could never dream of owning a four stroke and having to maintain it and other people are in the same shoes. Without the two stroke I would not be on this website or on the track. The two stroke is all I can afford to maintain and the only bike that I can get that amount of power and be competitive for the money. In this economy we need cheap and fast not fast and expensive. You can race a two stroke hard for two years or more with the same amount it cost to race a four stroke hard for 8 months. Its not that the two stroke fans didn't like your interviewing skills because they were on par. We are just getting pushed out of the sport. There is almost no chance for the average rider on a four stroke unless you got more then average cash. We need people like you to help us out before we are gone.
Outsider
6/3/2010 11:02am
Never had one issue with my '05 Honda 450. It was ridden and/or raced almost every week, trial ridden, thrashed in the desert. Fresh oil, and clean air filters was all it required to keep going.

Ride the bike you enjoy and be happy I say.

MXEditor
6/3/2010 1:46pm
@sean Im not tryin to give you a hard time and I completly understand what the interview was all about. You just have to understand what...
@sean Im not tryin to give you a hard time and I completly understand what the interview was all about. You just have to understand what the two stroke means to people like me. I could never dream of owning a four stroke and having to maintain it and other people are in the same shoes. Without the two stroke I would not be on this website or on the track. The two stroke is all I can afford to maintain and the only bike that I can get that amount of power and be competitive for the money. In this economy we need cheap and fast not fast and expensive. You can race a two stroke hard for two years or more with the same amount it cost to race a four stroke hard for 8 months. Its not that the two stroke fans didn't like your interviewing skills because they were on par. We are just getting pushed out of the sport. There is almost no chance for the average rider on a four stroke unless you got more then average cash. We need people like you to help us out before we are gone.
Hi Joe, hey no worries, I am a hardcore 2-stroke fan too, I have owned both and still like the buzzy YZ125 but I believe there is room for all bikes out there, most of our crew ride 4-strokes and I ride them as well...but I love the sound, the smell and the power of the 2-stroke...

I'm an old guy now and it still holds some nostalgia for me...if I was racing I would try to win with one. But that ain't gonna happen!

I am one of those people who can help, I have written more than a few articles on the 2-stroke and also about companies like Maico who still believe in it.

Kudos to KTM for doing well with both technologies, as well as snowmobile and outboard engine manufacturers who have also made big strides in keeping the 2-stroke alive.

As I tell most people, "If it has two wheels and an engine, I'm gonna try to ride it!"

Braaaaap!

Post a reply to: Interview with James Stewart talks about 2-strokes, family and Bubba's World...

The Latest