Interview with James Stewart talks about 2-strokes, family and Bubba's World...

MXEditor
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:41pm
Here is the interview text from my interview with James...enjoy!

It was an innocuous email from our friends at San Manuel Yamaha. James
Stewart was coming to New York City to shoot some promos for his show
"Bubba's World" on Fuel TV and did we want a little one-on-one time
with the two-wheeled hero?

Of course we jumped at the chance.

We spoke to James about a number of topics, from two-strokes to neck
braces, and although it was fairly quick, we found the champion to be
laid-back, relaxed and easy to relate to. We hope you find it as
insightful as we did.

James Stewart on Racing:

MXN: When are we going to see you riding again, how is your
health?

JAMES STEWART: The health is coming back, it's tough you know with
this injury…I've never really broken a navicular before but I guess it
takes a while and I'm just trying to be careful to come back and
hopefully by the end of the Supercross Series. If not, maybe the
outdoors if we get everything lined up.

MXN: Now that's our next question, are you going to make a
commitment to ride the outdoors?

JAMES STEWART: Well you know I think it's more about budgets, and (to)
see if we can work everything to work it out. Yes, I mean I would like
to ride them. I think maybe there might be a good chance this year
over last year, because the Supercross Series has been, well not
cancelled, but out for me, so we're working on it right now and I
think there is a strong chance that we might go racing but there
hasn't been any official announcement that yes we're in or not, and
we're still waiting on a couple of things, but it looks good.

MXN: Would you like to ride the outdoors if given a chance?

JAMES STEWART: Yes, I definitely would. Last time I raced the outdoors
I went 24-0, I don't expect to do that again, but I think I could be
up there and let's see where I'm at…

James Stewart on Neck Braces:

MXN: Everywhere you look riders are wearing neck braces such as
the Leatt Brace, Alpinestars BNS, EVS. Have you ever worn one and what
are your thoughts on neck braces in general, I don't think we've seen
you wearing one?

JAMES STEWART: I've tried them on and I've been trying to wear the
Alpinestars one…you know I wore the Leatt back in the day but I don't
know, I just, there are studies that say it helps, but then there is
nothing that it proves that it's better for you to wear one or not, so
I just think it's kind of like people who want to wear chest
protectors. If you want to wear it then wear it, if not then don't.
You know I really don't have an opinion about it. I think it's one of
those subjects that are very touchy. I just choose not to wear one.

James Stewart on First Bike, Toys and Two-Strokes:

MXN: We know you have a Lamborghini, any thoughts on your next
toy?

JAMES STEWART: I'd like to get me a 2010 Motocross National
Championship toy. You can't ride it but it means a lot, so hopefully
that'll be my next toy.

MXN: Do you ever still ride a two-stroke, just for fun?

JAMES STEWART: I rode the ones at my ride day, the two-strokes, and
it's just not…it's just not there anymore you know? The new 450's,
like especially the Yamaha, are so good it's hard to really want to
ride a two-stroke for fun, the only thing that's cool is the sound. I
had one I rode at the ride days but I almost got smoked by a few dudes
when I was riding a 250 two-stroke, so I said nah just gotta give it
up, I just have to.

MXN: You gave one of your old bikes to your brother haven't
you? The KX250?

JAMES STEWART: No actually. No that's actually his bike, and a lot of
people think that but if you know anything about factory equipment,
you don't get to keep it, you gotta send it back. So if you think my
brother has my two-stroke 250 engine, that's not even true, you gotta
give all that stuff back, I wish…I would have kept it for myself!

MXN: What was your first bike growing up?

JAMES STEWART: I think my first bike was a YZinger, it was a three
wheeler. That's the first thing I had, yeah I had a three-wheeler and
then I got on a motorcycle, a PW50.

MXN: Do your friends really call you "Bubba"? Like do they walk
up to you and say "Yo Bubba!"?

JAMES STEWART: No, no, no…a lot of my friends they know better than to
call me Bubba and stuff. And I don't mind it you know, but people that
are called friends they know my real name, so no.

James Stewart on Fuel TV and Bubba's World:

MXN: Now with Bubba's World on Fuel TV, do you expect to really
show people what you are really all about, or is it your public
persona? Are you going to give the fans a look into your home life and
family at all, or how will it go down?

JAMES STEWART: Yeah well I think you'll know who my family is a lot
more, you know it's a reality show so it's based on what happens and
at that time I was flying cross country a lot, I wasn't racing, I was
doing a lot of different things and it's kind of like with a reality
TV show you gotta keep it real so maybe the next time it might be more
about training and me getting back and the racing side of things, but
at that time I wasn't racing…

But yeah it gives an insight into a little bit of what goes on in my
life but I think the cool part is you get to see my house, both of my
houses, you get to meet my Dad, meet my Mom - a lot of people have
never really talked my Mom, my brother and some of the friends. So I
think you'll see how busy the Stewart camp is and it's not just a
motocross track where you go ride motorcycles. It's a full-on
operation out there so it's pretty cool.

MXN: How did you get involved with Fuel TV?

JAMES STEWART: Well you know we were working with Terence Michaels and
he came to me with an idea of doing a TV show, I never really thought
it would happen and we got in contact with Fuel TV and they said they
were really excited about doing it. And I just thought with their side
of being in the (action) sports world with my sport and everything I
thought it would be a perfect fit!

And obviously we did the show and they loved the show and Fuel TV is
owned by FOX so then we did a lot of cool things with FOX in different
channels and I thought it was the perfect match for what I wanted to
do, a moto show. It wasn't no dating show or nothing like that, so we
just wanted to go ahead and keep it real and that's how we came up
with it.

MXN: Alright James, we wish you the best of luck in the
upcoming year and we'll be looking for you outdoors.

Conducted at Fuel TV studios in NYC, East 11th Street, March 22, 2010
by Sean Goulart. Copyright 2010, all rights reserved
|
MXEditor
4/23/2010 8:51am
Thanks dude.

I was surprised on his comments about 2-strokes but at least he is being honest!
JW381
4/23/2010 9:00am
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking about their first time hopping on a 2-stroke in however many years, and it was the most fun they had in a while? Maybe it didn't tickle James' fancy, but to me it sounded like a plug for the YZF. Which is why he get's paid, so it's understandable.

I don't know.

I don't want this to turn into another 2 vs 4 bullshit thread lol. That was just my opinion.
jmar
4/23/2010 9:12am
JW381 wrote:
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking...
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking about their first time hopping on a 2-stroke in however many years, and it was the most fun they had in a while? Maybe it didn't tickle James' fancy, but to me it sounded like a plug for the YZF. Which is why he get's paid, so it's understandable.

I don't know.

I don't want this to turn into another 2 vs 4 bullshit thread lol. That was just my opinion.
You are right, you are bias.Smile

The Shop

MXEditor
4/23/2010 9:21am
Yeah he also mentions the YZinger and the P-Dub Fiddy so you have to look at that!
cpj36
4/23/2010 9:25am
JW381 wrote:
Maybe I'm bias, but I do think it sounded like a bit of spam in his 2-stroke comment. How many other pro's do you hear talking...

I don't know.

Being paid to ride and sell YZF's but not actually able to right now has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion on 2 stks or admitting he still owns any Kawasaki equipment.

I tend to agree, as long as 4 stk displacement is 2X that of a 2 stk, it's just not there anymore when I get back on the 2 stk.
Faceaz
4/23/2010 9:33am
I was suprised @ the 2 stroke comments too. I guess he can ride that bike to it's limits pretty easy - not the same for most people.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
4/23/2010 9:36am
JW381 wrote:

I don't know.

cpj36 wrote:
Being paid to ride and sell YZF's but not actually able to right now has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion on 2 stks or...
Being paid to ride and sell YZF's but not actually able to right now has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion on 2 stks or admitting he still owns any Kawasaki equipment.

I tend to agree, as long as 4 stk displacement is 2X that of a 2 stk, it's just not there anymore when I get back on the 2 stk.
I agree with your comment. Even if two strokes were given a boost in displacement, I would have to wait until the technology caught up to the new four strokes. I think that is ultimately the issue, not how the engine produces power but the power that comes from it.

It was a great read.
BobbyM
4/23/2010 10:34am
good job...appreciate it.
500guy
4/23/2010 10:45am
That was a good read.

Maybe James is the one who email meidioso ? This is Proof 2 strokes are coming back.
MXEditor
4/23/2010 10:46am
BobbyM wrote:
good job...appreciate it.
Thanks - he was really laid-back and the studio was a very cool place...rare that he is in NYC I think.
4/23/2010 11:05am
500guy wrote:
That was a good read.

Maybe James is the one who email meidioso ? This is Proof 2 strokes are coming back.
LOL I chuckled. Great interview Sean. Glad that he cleared up that part about how the reality tv show got set up and going.
themrtoad
4/23/2010 1:42pm
JW381 wrote:

I don't know.

jmar wrote:
James lies. Twostrokes are superior. However, James is one of very few motocroosriders who can afford to race a fourstroke.

Maybe he bought himself to many used 250f's and they all cracked under his riding. That means he has to make a comeback in the outdoor to handle the bills from his local shop for the rebuild?
4/23/2010 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2010 4:10pm
JW381 wrote:

I don't know.

i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on a 450! so yes he doesnt like to be beat and if riding a 450 makes it a level playing field then who wouldnt ride a 450.... now go back to that year and put RC on a 250 2t and they still would have killed the field (as james did besides RC). but yea you cant compare apples to oranges....
MXEditor
4/23/2010 2:50pm
I sure am glad that was on my question list!! It's got everybody going now.

He did say it with conviction no doubt.
Shawn142
4/23/2010 4:09pm
i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on...
i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on a 450! so yes he doesnt like to be beat and if riding a 450 makes it a level playing field then who wouldnt ride a 450.... now go back to that year and put RC on a 250 2t and they still would have killed the field (as james did besides RC). but yea you cant compare apples to oranges....
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a steel framed Yamaha 450. He has said many times his 250 was the scariest bike he ever rode.

And why are you making crazy claims about RC? Did you not see RC struggle to beat Windham the last year of the factory 250 2-stroke? A couple motos he got flat out smoked by Windham's 450. You're clouding up your head so much with 2-stroke bias you can't remember any actual facts.

And for God sake.. quit saying 2t.. that doesn't make any f#$king sense and it looks stupid.
cpj36
4/23/2010 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:21pm
i agree spam for sure... i mean come on his reason for not liking a 2 stroke is cuz he couldnt keep up with RC on...
Shawn142 wrote:
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a...
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a steel framed Yamaha 450. He has said many times his 250 was the scariest bike he ever rode.

And why are you making crazy claims about RC? Did you not see RC struggle to beat Windham the last year of the factory 250 2-stroke? A couple motos he got flat out smoked by Windham's 450. You're clouding up your head so much with 2-stroke bias you can't remember any actual facts.

And for God sake.. quit saying 2t.. that doesn't make any f#$king sense and it looks stupid.
How much better was his 450? Being vastly superior I was sort of expecting vastly superior results vs RC.

Not a surprise that a factory 450 is better than a factory 250, especially after changing the tracks for them.

4 stks will always rule until they raise 2 stk displacement to get something resembling parity in torque output, but we can't' have that even if KTM & Yamaha promise to keep the fast guys off them.
4/23/2010 5:14pm
You'd be a complete muppet to take bike buying advice from a due that has a Lamborghini (unless you have a few your self), are people that stupid??

In saying that didnt James beat a bunch of 250Fs on a 125T?
Why was he not on a 250F?

I'm not sure if what he's sayin about his 450F is spam or not but when he's says that he almost got somked by some dues (you know like you and me lol) on 450s when he was on a 250T is abit suspect.

MXEditor
4/23/2010 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:21pm
Just changing the subject a bit here. After the interview I was standing around with JS, Carl Stone and Dean Hyman - and we were recalling our favorite JS story.

Mine was when he slowed down to almost a stop at Unadilla (or was it Broome?) to let Reed pass and then went and blew by him like he was standing still...that was mint, he made his point.

If Carl is reading maybe he can share his JS story...
Farva
4/23/2010 5:27pm
JW381 wrote:

I don't know.

Reed said the same thing.

They aren't as good as they remembered.

Void Main
4/23/2010 5:57pm
JW381 wrote:

I don't know.

jmar wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's not bias. He might be biased though. Smile
4/23/2010 8:41pm
I don't understand the argument? We already know the 250 2 stroke isn't compareable to the 450f. I'd like to see him have a ride day with a stock yz250f and say something different. A 250 is a 250. Not compareable to a 450.
Lightning78
4/23/2010 9:31pm
I thought this way a way off comment that actually made me laugh with disbelief

"MXN: Do you ever still ride a two-stroke, just for fun?

JAMES STEWART: I rode the ones at my ride day, the two-strokes, and
it's just not…it's just not there anymore you know? The new 450's,
like especially the Yamaha, are so good it's hard to really want to
ride a two-stroke for fun, the only thing that's cool is the sound. I
had one I rode at the ride days but I almost got smoked by a few dudes
when I was riding a 250 two-stroke
, so I said nah just gotta give it
up, I just have to."

Come on James that isn't even possible if you were riding the bike backwards.....lol
2T42
4/24/2010 8:50am
LOL! What local dude on ANY bike is going to almost smoke Bubba?

OK. He is paid from a "marketing" fund by Yamaha to race the YZ450F. What else can he say?
RocketLab
4/24/2010 9:12am
Shawn142 wrote:
If you've ever listened to him in the past RC wasn't the problem. While testing at Glen Helen he was getting passed by DV12 on a...

x2t
level
4/24/2010 9:59am
I had a CR250 then bought a CRF250 then a 450 and I tried to ride a guy's 08 KX250 and I felt like I never rode a bike before. It was very odd. I can see what he's saying.
jesspapp
4/24/2010 11:31am
That was sweet! Thanks for the info.Woohoo
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
4/24/2010 12:42pm
MXEditor - Great work.

What is funny, the fastest guy to ever ride a two stroke motocross bike in my opinion is James Stewart and he voiced his opinion. Little background on James if you didn't know: James rode his 125 faster then all the 250 four strokes, set fastest lap times in 2002 on a 125 while racing the Nationals - this was compared to the 250 two strokes and a few 450 four strokes. I have personally seen James lay the record fastest lap on a 112 supermini at Mammoth. I think his opinion holds some weight.

But by all means spin the story to make claims why 1993 technology is better then 2010 technology, it makes you look so smart!

Post a reply to: Interview with James Stewart talks about 2-strokes, family and Bubba's World...

The Latest