Interview: Antonio Cairoli on Loket and battling with Herlings

7/23/2018 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 8:34am
He’s a nine time world champion and Antonio Cairoli is fighting hard to win his tenth title. Unfortunately, during Indonesia the Italian picked up two fractures in his thumb which meant he wasn’t as close to Herlings as he’d have liked to be in Loket.

There’s one thing about Cairoli though and that’s his determination, he won’t give up on the title this year without a fight. For 32 years old he’s in a superb conditions and possibly riding the best he ever has.

We caught up with Cairoli in Loket to discuss the GP and his battles with Herlings.

Gatedrop: Tony, overall considering the injury it wasn’t a bad day for you going 2-2 but at the same time it must be frustrating to lose more championship points to Jeffrey?

Antonio Cairoli: Yeah, sure. I mean after Indonesia I was sure that I would have healed 100% for this race so my plan was to attack and put some pressure on him. I tried to stay at the front but this week I tried to ride and my thumb was in a bit of pain. We made a special scan and I found out that there’s two fractures so I couldn’t ride for two weeks, I was here and didn’t know what to expect. Yesterday the track was a little bit more flat and not so sketchy. From the rain the track got a little bit more sharp, the bumps and today I wasn’t feeling 100%. It was quite sketchy and I was battling to hold on in parts with my thumb. I really didn’t want to crash so okay, the first moto I give up – second was good.

For the second moto my plan was to stay out more close with Jeffrey and I did for 20 minutes. Then I really couldn’t keep the speed you know. I was risking a lot and I didn’t really feel safe while riding. He is for sure in a good shape again and you can see from his laps, always good lap times. I dropped my time the last ten minutes because of the thumb but it is okay. I mean for the championship it’s not the best way but there’s still some races to go. The championship is not done until the chequered flag so I’m really motivated to keep training. With my thumb, for sure I need another week to rest, that’s what the doctor said. Before Lommel I will train a little bit and see what we can do there.

Gatedrop: You’re clearly not 100% fit but how far off are you off 100%? Are you riding with pain out there?

Antonio Cairoli: Physically I am good. I’m pushing very hard with the physical training and this and that. If you don’t ride the bike it’s not enough racing at this level with Jeffrey. You know we are on full speed and it’s difficult to keep that speed. We drop the speed to the third guy quite quickly so I’m happy with the speed. We just need more consistency with the training days.

Gatedrop: It’s no secret that Herlings rides so much, almost every day sometimes and that works for him. However, you don’t seem to ride as much and that seems to work for you!

Antonio Cairoli: I mean he’s young, he’s more than ten years younger than me. For sure he rides every day, it’s normal. That’s what I did also ten years ago. My training schedule is a little bit different, I ride less but I do a lot of physical training. It’s kind of different, I need to adapt to the riding style from him, he’s put a new rhythm so it’s challenging. For next year we are going to be a little more prepared. This year he has put the level a little bit higher so I wasn’t really prepared for this but there’s also time to learn and I’m enjoying the battling for sure. If I am 100% and fit I can be more competitive. Hopefully before the end of the season we can have more battles.

Gatedrop: In your private life you seem happier than ever and you’re recently married to Jill of course!

Antonio Cairoli: Yeah, for sure. It’s unbelievable and I am really happy. Everything is going very well, we are enjoying everything and really happy about everything else.

Gatedrop: You’re nearly 33 now and you’re obviously going to retire at some stage. Have you thought about what you might do after?

Antonio Cairoli: No, now at the moment, nothing. It’s just another two years of contract so until 2020 we are racing and afterwards we will see.

Interview: Andy McKinstry

http://gatedrop.com/interview-antonio-cairoli-on-loket-battling-with-he…
|
DL
7/23/2018 1:12pm
Good interview and Tony is a class act.
ruy
7/23/2018 1:30pm

plowboy
7/23/2018 4:21pm
I dig me some Tony. I know the translation leaves some folks believing he's arrogant or making excuses but he clearly states that not being 100% makes it very hard to ride at Herlings level, and third place is too close to back it down too much. I watched the AC video of Loket...man was he flying...which made Herling look unbelievable. At this point, Tony is is waiting for Jeff to make a mistake or six.

The Shop

Forty
7/23/2018 4:32pm
True champion.
7/23/2018 11:54pm
Cairoli is a great rider who won alot in the past, but he must really stop with those excuses all the time. Let's not forget it was Herlings who broke his collarbone and even missed 1 GP and is still leading the championship. Stop whining about your thumb, just admit there is a better guy who even beat you when he rode only 3 weeks after breaking huis collarbone and you were as fit as you can get. Besides that, if his thumbs is giving him so much problems, explain to me how he beats all the other guys like Gajser, Desalle, Febvre and so on???
7/24/2018 1:45am
Cairoli is a great rider who won alot in the past, but he must really stop with those excuses all the time. Let's not forget it...
Cairoli is a great rider who won alot in the past, but he must really stop with those excuses all the time. Let's not forget it was Herlings who broke his collarbone and even missed 1 GP and is still leading the championship. Stop whining about your thumb, just admit there is a better guy who even beat you when he rode only 3 weeks after breaking huis collarbone and you were as fit as you can get. Besides that, if his thumbs is giving him so much problems, explain to me how he beats all the other guys like Gajser, Desalle, Febvre and so on???
I was surprised to see there was zero talk about Herlings' collarbone injury and, like, a hundred mentions of Cairoli's thumb in Indonesia's second round from the commentator.

Also Cairoli was already getting beat at the end of last year when Herlings went on a roll after Lommel, so how can he say he did not know what he was up against?

I try to be a fan of 222 and respect the hell out of him, but I'm really tired of the constant "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare well" excuses. He did the same in 2016 when he was up against Gajser.

Turbojez
7/24/2018 1:55am
Cairoli is a great rider who won alot in the past, but he must really stop with those excuses all the time. Let's not forget it...
You need to take under consideration the simple fact, that most interviews with Tony are translated, which changes quite a lot about what was said vs. how it sounds.

Another thing is, sport is as mental as it is physical. If Tony ever starts believing that Jeffrey is just plain better than him, it's game over and he might as well not line up at all.

AC222 is a class act and an incredible champion, and the championship ain't over yet.
I am thankful we have the opportunity to see those two go head to head. Breathtaking when they're both on it.
7/24/2018 2:56am
No, this interview was in English as well as all the post-race interviews he does.
jemcee
7/24/2018 2:59am
People in Vital- I don't know why riders hide their injuries just tell us what's going on
People in Vital- Stop whining and making excuses about your injuries
Turbojez
7/24/2018 3:01am
No, this interview was in English as well as all the post-race interviews he does.
Good point. Still, english is not Cairoli's first language. A lot might be lost in translation between what he says and what he thinks.
RG95
7/24/2018 3:21am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 3:26am
Cairoli injured? No way Cairoli can get injured, must be an excuse 101%
tcallahan707
7/24/2018 3:46am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 6:44am
EnvyMedia wrote:
I was surprised to see there was zero talk about Herlings' collarbone injury and, like, a hundred mentions of Cairoli's thumb in Indonesia's second round from...
I was surprised to see there was zero talk about Herlings' collarbone injury and, like, a hundred mentions of Cairoli's thumb in Indonesia's second round from the commentator.

Also Cairoli was already getting beat at the end of last year when Herlings went on a roll after Lommel, so how can he say he did not know what he was up against?

I try to be a fan of 222 and respect the hell out of him, but I'm really tired of the constant "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare well" excuses. He did the same in 2016 when he was up against Gajser.

In what world are "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare enough" excuses? All you vitards want honest, candid interviews and when you get it, you flame them for making excuses. This place sucks sometimes.

This post is also directed at the one directly above Envy.
Flip109
7/24/2018 4:08am
jemcee wrote:
People in Vital- I don't know why riders hide their injuries just tell us what's going on People in Vital- Stop whining and making excuses about...
People in Vital- I don't know why riders hide their injuries just tell us what's going on
This. Lot of lose lose around here.
7/24/2018 4:57am
jemcee wrote:
People in Vital- I don't know why riders hide their injuries just tell us what's going on People in Vital- Stop whining and making excuses about...
Don't make up an injury if you can't win.
Admitt that the other guy is faster or be quiet. Whining about an injury when your opponent broke his collarbone a few weeks before is wining to me. I think I heard him about 20 times about his thumb the last weeks.
jemcee
7/24/2018 5:20am
jemcee wrote:
Don't make up an injury if you can't win. Admitt that the other guy is faster or be quiet. Whining about an injury when your opponent...
Don't make up an injury if you can't win.
Admitt that the other guy is faster or be quiet. Whining about an injury when your opponent broke his collarbone a few weeks before is wining to me. I think I heard him about 20 times about his thumb the last weeks.
oooh ok then.. Yeah you don't seem to have seem to have an irrational bias at all!
ehr400
7/24/2018 5:29am
End of the day, I think Tony will be considered a better champion then Jeff. Mainly because of how he interacts with the fans and sport in general. Jeff is fast but I think Tonys legacy will be of a better one.
7/24/2018 6:02am
In what world are "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare enough" excuses? All you vitards want honest, candid interviews and when you get it, you...
In what world are "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare enough" excuses? All you vitards want honest, candid interviews and when you get it, you flame them for making excuses. This place sucks sometimes.

Maybe it's a language barrier thing. I love watching him ride and battle for the lead, but it seems like every time he finishes either a close or a distant second he has an excuse ready as to why he didn't win. It's just getting annoying, in my opinion of course.
tcallahan707
7/24/2018 6:43am
In what world are "I'm not fit enough, I didn't prepare enough" excuses? All you vitards want honest, candid interviews and when you get it, you...

EnvyMedia wrote:
Maybe it's a language barrier thing. I love watching him ride and battle for the lead, but it seems like every time he finishes either a...
Maybe it's a language barrier thing. I love watching him ride and battle for the lead, but it seems like every time he finishes either a close or a distant second he has an excuse ready as to why he didn't win. It's just getting annoying, in my opinion of course.
I totally get that. I just don't know what these guys are suppose to say. How can him talking honest and stating facts related to his own performance be called an excuse? He got beat, talked about the areas that need improvement, and seemed to give Herlings credit about raising the level and having good speed and fitness. I really don't know what else he can say that would make people happy. The 3 choices are list sponsors, be real, or make something up. None seem to satisfy the experts on this website.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
7/24/2018 8:34am
jemcee wrote:
Haha. So true.

Post a reply to: Interview: Antonio Cairoli on Loket and battling with Herlings

The Latest