Intermittent Fasting, Who’s Doing It?

Whip
Fantasy
3240th
8/17/2022 2:49am
Anyone still doing this in 2022?

Surely this is impossible to do on days where you are racing moto? You need the carbohydrates/fuel for energy...

I'm assume this is effective on non-riding / exercise days?
8/17/2022 3:25am
The IRC Tire guy, Rich Larson claimed on race days (hard enduro/endurocross) that he would eat normally and it felt like super powers, after being adapted to riding in a fasted state. No idea if he still does this.

If it’s a strategy that works for you, then use it. Nothing controversial about not eating x times a day. Probably better for you as well eating fewer but bigger meals
Tim507
8/17/2022 6:11am
I've been doing intermittent fasting for a year now - had to work into as it is not as easy as one would think. Last meal is at noon and the next meal is 6 AM or so.

When I ride or an occasional race, I'll forgo fasting and eat a good meal the evening before and after the ride/race. Meal cheating should not be frowned upon as it is normal and life is life.

Fasting has lots of benefits and I suggest (if you're interested) to research it.

I'm down to my HS weight and waist size and feel great.

I also do not consume any sugar, processed goods, dairy or flour (for the last 12 years). Yes there is sugar in most everything and processed foods are everywhere! Just apply good habits and common sense.....

The Shop

Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
8/17/2022 11:05am
I usually fast throughout my work week. Days I ride I eat in the morning and have something while I am there. Its worked wonders for getting my weight down lol
rc51
Fantasy
175th
8/17/2022 11:15am
I'm very curious as to why people think that there is anything more to losing, gaining or maintaining weight than calories consumed versus calories burned.

westeast
Fantasy
5th
8/17/2022 11:32am
rc51 wrote:
I'm very curious as to why people think that there is anything more to losing, gaining or maintaining weight than calories consumed versus calories burned.

My understanding is gut microbes and hormones can play a major factor in this. I'm not sure if it's still a simple calories consumed thing, but if your body is screaming to you that you are hungry, tired and need carbs you'll feel like crap and eventually cave.

I've been doing intermittent fasting intermittently for a few years now. It has made it easier to maintain a healthy weight. I also physically feel better.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
8/17/2022 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 12:44pm
brett12486 wrote:
Are you looking into IF for weight loss? I’ve worked with a nutrition coach for just over 20 weeks lost over 30 lbs. i was around...
Are you looking into IF for weight loss? I’ve worked with a nutrition coach for just over 20 weeks lost over 30 lbs. i was around 235 to start so I didn’t have a tremendous amount to lose to begin with. I was losing around a lb a week but the last few weeks I started to do IF along with the coach and noticed the weight coming off much faster all variables stayed the same except the timing of when I ate. The program I use is currently running a sale if anyone is interested.
tempura wrote:
I don’t have a great deal of weight to lose, but could do with losing 10 pounds or so. I understand weight loss is one of...
I don’t have a great deal of weight to lose, but could do with losing 10 pounds or so.
I understand weight loss is one of the health benefits, but I’m also interested in other benefits people have experienced.
From what I’ve read, intermittent fasting is supposed to suit our bodies better (body functions better) than stuffing 3-4 meals in from morning to evening.
It's not for me. There may be some health benefits, but there are also benefits in staying fueled.
I personally need protein at breakfast in order to fully wake up. If I skip eating for too long, I won't recover without a nap, no matter what I eat prior or after.

I'm currently dropping 24.5 pounds, which will put me right at my best riding weight.
It was either that or buy new shock and fork springs.

I'm simply giving myself a 1500 calorie budget per day to use how I want.
I have a beer or 2, and try to eat fairly clean for the rest of the calories.
I run or cycle twice a week, and really get after it, then allow myself to either eat the extra calories burned, or leave them on the table to speed up the weight loss.
I'm using MyFitnessPal to track the calories, and losing 1.5 - 2 lbs /week consistently.
Every pound I lose, the better I feel, and the faster I can run.
The goal is 40 minute motos, full stop.
stone881
8/17/2022 12:47pm
How many of you that are fasting, or using some other diet, are still drinking alcohol?
R VanKamp77
8/17/2022 1:51pm
rc51 wrote:

For similar reasons that some cars get better MPG than others.

You’re correct in that your intake and expenditure must differ for gain and loss. That’s the energy balance. What you’re missing is the (in layman’s terms) human efficiency and bodily response to different methods.

Not to mention this isn’t particularly about weight loss anyways.
TJMX947
8/17/2022 2:33pm
rc51 wrote:

At it's essence this is all that matters. People tend to use these methods as a way to keep their intake in check. For me it just meant that I was hungry AF and was more likely to binge.

I measure and track my food now, this is what works for me. I've successfully lost 60+ lbs, eaten at all times of the day, donuts, gummy bears, and ice cream and felt great. I have another 40 lbs or so to go.
bvm111
8/17/2022 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 8:40pm
Intermittent Fasting is the crossfit of diets… how do you know someone does IF… don’t worry they will tell you all about it even though you don’t want to know.
8/18/2022 8:17am
rc51 wrote:

I dont, but life isnt as simple as pulling a lever to distribute the precise amount of calories of food to sustain, lose or gain each day.

Studies showing results always seem to have qualifiers like "When protein is matched"... Hunger is something very tough to control in many people especially those struggling with weight (and thus struggling with weight).

If a strategy as simple in concept as time restricted eating provides the person a tool to limit calorie consumption with minimal intervention, then it is effective.

Post a reply to: Intermittent Fasting, Who’s Doing It?

The Latest