Interesting heart rate stuff from tonight

Reedo
10/21/2013 9:14pm
lostboy819 wrote:
lol, I had a Cardioversion on Friday and they hit me twice and both times I went back to A-Fib,they changed the meds and in two...
lol, I had a Cardioversion on Friday and they hit me twice and both times I went back to A-Fib,they changed the meds and in two weeks if I am not back to a sinus rhythm they will try the Cardioversion again, I still have the burns on my chest and back so I am hoping the meds do their thing.Wink
Hey Lostboy were you riding when your heart revved out ?.Ive been diagnosed with SVT and the Docs got me on some drugs and im not sure about getting back on the bike.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/21/2013 10:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
lol, I had a Cardioversion on Friday and they hit me twice and both times I went back to A-Fib,they changed the meds and in two...
lol, I had a Cardioversion on Friday and they hit me twice and both times I went back to A-Fib,they changed the meds and in two weeks if I am not back to a sinus rhythm they will try the Cardioversion again, I still have the burns on my chest and back so I am hoping the meds do their thing.Wink
Reedo wrote:
Hey Lostboy were you riding when your heart revved out ?.Ive been diagnosed with SVT and the Docs got me on some drugs and im not...
Hey Lostboy were you riding when your heart revved out ?.Ive been diagnosed with SVT and the Docs got me on some drugs and im not sure about getting back on the bike.
I have had it for years and didn't even know it, I feel worse when my heart is in a normal rhythm than when its in A-fib. It is very common and 1 in 4 will have it at some point and most do not even know it but you can ride and do what ever you want. The risk as you get older is stoke but with the beta blockers and blood thinners you will be fine so don't let it slow you down. They can get you in sinus rhythm again a number of different ways. I felt fine and normal even when my heart rate was 150-160 and had no clue. Just take some time getting used to new meds but they have no strange side effects on me.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/21/2013 11:02pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I have had it for years and didn't even know it, I feel worse when my heart is in a normal rhythm than when its in...
I have had it for years and didn't even know it, I feel worse when my heart is in a normal rhythm than when its in A-fib. It is very common and 1 in 4 will have it at some point and most do not even know it but you can ride and do what ever you want. The risk as you get older is stoke but with the beta blockers and blood thinners you will be fine so don't let it slow you down. They can get you in sinus rhythm again a number of different ways. I felt fine and normal even when my heart rate was 150-160 and had no clue. Just take some time getting used to new meds but they have no strange side effects on me.
Some might question the use of blood thinners and racing. Just saying.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/21/2013 11:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2013 11:17pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I have had it for years and didn't even know it, I feel worse when my heart is in a normal rhythm than when its in...
GuyB wrote:
Some might question the use of blood thinners and racing. Just saying.
You are only on the blood thinner at first because they don't know how long you may have been in A-fib and want to make sure there are no blood clots in the upper heart chamber. After that it will be a beta blocker or other med to keep you in sinus rhythm but aspirin is a blood thinner and so it sounds worse than it is. That's why you listen to your Doctor and not GuyB

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/21/2013 11:29pm
I'm not a doctor and don't claim to be. But I do know a past mountain bike downhill world champ (Dave Cullinan) who wasn't allowed to race by the sanctioning body because he was on blood thinners after a heart valve replacement. They were afraid he'd bleed out if he crashed.

That's where the comment came from.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/21/2013 11:43pm
I don't think it would be wise to race when you are taking any new meds, I shot a hole in the top of my desk Blush I was on my new meds and when I went to put my gun in my gun safe I went to clear the chamber like I always do but I didn't drop the magazine like I normally do and all I did was chamber the next round. I was lucky that when I went to dry fire before I but it away that it was pointed in a safe direction and then I shot a hole through the top of my solid oak desk. I didn't carry or handle any fire arms for the next month until I was back to normal . So for all you who are thinking it,YES I was a dumb ass and just a small change in meds and I forgot a very important step. Pinch
10/22/2013 2:47am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2013 3:09am
Tim507 wrote:
I us my HRM all the time......on my bicycles and in the gym...not so much on my dirt bike. At 61 I try to keep my...
I us my HRM all the time......on my bicycles and in the gym...not so much on my dirt bike. At 61 I try to keep my HR in the gym about 120 plus for a good cardio workout. On my bicycles push it up to the high 140 to mid 150. I have no need to go to my max or even consider going anaerobic.
For me the goal is to maintain a strong heart that will take me years into the futureSmile I have had several heart scans as PM and some blockage has always shown up.....however by working my heart muscle extensively all these years the cardiologist says that the extra blood flow helps to keep build up down.

For the pro mx ride my guess is that SX gets them the highest HR readings and outdoors a bit less.

For those that do understand anaerobic ....this is when the demand for fuel is so excessive that the body starts getting fuel from the consumption of muscle.
Actually, not muscle per se, but anaerobic burns the stored sugars/glycogen (carbs) in your blood and tissues initially, which does not require near as much oxygen as being aerobic. Anaerobic means "without oxygen", and sugars have about 4 calories per gram.

Aerobic states burn FAT, which has about 9 calories per gram, but requires lots of oxygen to do so.

So, being that the average person can store about 1800-2200 calories in stored carbs for energy...you run out really fast if you are in the anaerobic state, ask any marathoner what "bonking" is :-)

If you are aerobic and can burn fat...you can go for hours upon end, provided you have enough water and salts to process it, since even relatively "thin" people have tens of thousands of fat calories to spare.

With high aerobic fitness comes higher anaerobic threshold levels, meaning you can push that maxed out anaerobic stage longer before bonking. Hell, 5k runners (HIGH heart rates when racing) spend LOTS of time and miles (12-15, or more) running at much lower heart rates. To go fast, you must first learn to go slow. Aerobic base building comes from LOW heart rate training, training all the time at HIGH heart rates is counterproductive (and risky) to aerobic endurance, there are oxygen receptor changes in muscle tissues that ONLY occur at low heart rates where fat can be used for fuel.

I am training for my first Ironman, and 95% of my training is being done at 125-150 heart rate. Building a HUGE aerobic base is paramount when you have to keep moving for 12+ hours. When I was racing motocross, I ran 6-10 miles 4x a week, slowly, to build endurance for that 20-25 minute sprint. The pros don't spend all that time running and cycling at high heart rates, they are doing aerobic training.

One of the most effective things an average local motocrosser could do to build endurance is to go out and run, cycle, or swim, for 1-2 hours per session, 3-4 times a week, wear an HR monitor, and stick to the HR guidelines.

http://duathlon.com/articles/1460/
10/22/2013 3:10am
jeffro503 wrote:
Let me ask you guys this.......... If a guy was wanting to train cardio to help in his MX performance ( say like 20 min motos...
Let me ask you guys this..........

If a guy was wanting to train cardio to help in his MX performance ( say like 20 min motos ) and he wanted to be able to push to about 90% MHR........what would be your training schedule for that?

Do you train in the gym to hit about 90%.....or more? And if you were training for 20 min motos.......what is the duration you would train at? Like an hour every other day , every day. Should you push past that 90% on your workouts?
No, low heart rate training.

jeffro503
10/22/2013 8:08am
jeffro503 wrote:
Let me ask you guys this.......... If a guy was wanting to train cardio to help in his MX performance ( say like 20 min motos...

If a guy was wanting to train cardio to help in his MX performance ( say like 20 min motos ) and he wanted to be able to push to about 90% MHR........what would be your training schedule for that?

Do you train in the gym to hit about 90%.....or more? And if you were training for 20 min motos.......what is the duration you would train at? Like an hour every other day , every day. Should you push past that 90% on your workouts?
EddieC wrote:
I can tell you want you shouldn't do. Race mountain bike races (MTB) during the week thinking somehow this is appropriate training for SX. People may...
I can tell you want you shouldn't do. Race mountain bike races (MTCool during the week thinking somehow this is appropriate training for SX. People may argue that HR's are equally high during MTB racing and so that justifies the its use. Well HR's in soccer, basketball as well as other sports also have high HR's with the time spent above 80% MAX HR varying between them. True (college educated) strength and conditioning professionals understand this and that is why you don't see NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB, NBA athletes racing mountain bike races during the week or other non-movement specific exercises.

On the flip side you will have Moto athletes that do spend the majority of their training on the dirt bike but fail miserably in managing HR intensity. I have spoken with riders who make it a point to do a 100 laps 3-4 X per week. Others simply go out and mimic race day scenarios with the occasional sprint laps at the end of the day. I have questioned moto athletes who wear HR monitors what they do with the information stored on the watch. Most look at me with a puzzled look and say "I only look at what my HR is after I finish a moto".

The majority of your cardio training should be done on the bike preferably with one or two other racers. Using a term from soccer you should break up your riding into technical and tactical training days. Moto days and technique days.
Moto days should always be done at race pace and preferably racing with two other riders. Buy a HR rate monitor that can record HR during your motos and learn how to use it. Use this data in conjunction with your laps times to help set up your training parameters.

Your training should give you the confidence to go at 90%HR for a full moto but in reality you want to avoid that. At those intensities you leave yourself little margin for error. Ideally you would like your 70% to be everyone else's 90%.

One last and very IMPORTANT training tip that is grossly misunderstood amongst moto "trainers" and poorly applied is STRENGTH training. When you watch some of the "training" videos from posted by these "experts" you'd think you where training for the circus. Sure they will throw words out there like core and stability but do they really know how these work within the parameters of moto? Racing moto is a delicate balance between being one with the bike and fighting for your life as it bitch slaps you. Strength training for moto should be looked at in two ways 1. resistance of the violent forces that can be placed upon your body. ie. swapping, headshake, casing. 2. limiting cardio vascular strain.

The stronger you are the less energy you will have to exert thus giving you HEART a break.
For example if rider A. can squat 225 pounds 10X while rider B can only do it 1X and if FOR EXAMPLE the forces acting on the body on during the race equate to 185 pounds rider A can ride with less effort and for longer than rider B.

To obtain this type of strength one needs to train using "heavy weights" on a FIRM base with proper form so that the CORRECT muscles are working to perform the exercise.
How HEAVY? My belief is that one should be able to bench at least their bodyweight, pull up their bodyweight, 1/2 squat and deadlift 1 1/2 X bodyweight. I don't have the science yet (it's coming) to substantiate my numbers but if you can't handle your own bodyweight how can you expect to handle your bodyweight plus the increase in force put upon it during a moto?

Are their riders that have won by not training this way? Yes
As we further look into the science of moto will this change the way riders train? Absolutely.

If you care to discuss on a more personal basis please email me at info@ichorsportsmedicine.com
I just revisited this thread and saw this Eddie........Thank you! Awesome reply and will read every word of it a few times so as it will sink in.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/22/2013 9:44am
An interesting experiment I don't suggest anyone make is what happens to your heart rate (max and responsive) when the nerves to it are cut. Whistling

It was trippy watching Felix Baumgartner's heart rate telemetry on the recent Stratos POV vid.
slipdog
10/22/2013 10:03am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2013 10:04am
Tim507 wrote:
I us my HRM all the time......on my bicycles and in the gym...not so much on my dirt bike. At 61 I try to keep my...
I us my HRM all the time......on my bicycles and in the gym...not so much on my dirt bike. At 61 I try to keep my HR in the gym about 120 plus for a good cardio workout. On my bicycles push it up to the high 140 to mid 150. I have no need to go to my max or even consider going anaerobic.
For me the goal is to maintain a strong heart that will take me years into the futureSmile I have had several heart scans as PM and some blockage has always shown up.....however by working my heart muscle extensively all these years the cardiologist says that the extra blood flow helps to keep build up down.

For the pro mx ride my guess is that SX gets them the highest HR readings and outdoors a bit less.

For those that do understand anaerobic ....this is when the demand for fuel is so excessive that the body starts getting fuel from the consumption of muscle.
thephoenix wrote:
Actually, not muscle per se, but anaerobic burns the stored sugars/glycogen (carbs) in your blood and tissues initially, which does not require near as much oxygen...
Actually, not muscle per se, but anaerobic burns the stored sugars/glycogen (carbs) in your blood and tissues initially, which does not require near as much oxygen as being aerobic. Anaerobic means "without oxygen", and sugars have about 4 calories per gram.

Aerobic states burn FAT, which has about 9 calories per gram, but requires lots of oxygen to do so.

So, being that the average person can store about 1800-2200 calories in stored carbs for energy...you run out really fast if you are in the anaerobic state, ask any marathoner what "bonking" is :-)

If you are aerobic and can burn fat...you can go for hours upon end, provided you have enough water and salts to process it, since even relatively "thin" people have tens of thousands of fat calories to spare.

With high aerobic fitness comes higher anaerobic threshold levels, meaning you can push that maxed out anaerobic stage longer before bonking. Hell, 5k runners (HIGH heart rates when racing) spend LOTS of time and miles (12-15, or more) running at much lower heart rates. To go fast, you must first learn to go slow. Aerobic base building comes from LOW heart rate training, training all the time at HIGH heart rates is counterproductive (and risky) to aerobic endurance, there are oxygen receptor changes in muscle tissues that ONLY occur at low heart rates where fat can be used for fuel.

I am training for my first Ironman, and 95% of my training is being done at 125-150 heart rate. Building a HUGE aerobic base is paramount when you have to keep moving for 12+ hours. When I was racing motocross, I ran 6-10 miles 4x a week, slowly, to build endurance for that 20-25 minute sprint. The pros don't spend all that time running and cycling at high heart rates, they are doing aerobic training.

One of the most effective things an average local motocrosser could do to build endurance is to go out and run, cycle, or swim, for 1-2 hours per session, 3-4 times a week, wear an HR monitor, and stick to the HR guidelines.

I haven't read your links yet, but this is the way I've always understood it to work. First you must build your base by 70% MHR 4x the duration that you will be racing. Amatuer racers doing 15 min motos would need to do 1hr cardio at 70%, whereas, a pro that does 35+ Minute motos would need to train at 70% for aprox. 2.5hrs to build their base. Once a strong base is built a mix of interval training and circuit weight training to work on sprint speed.

Training at aerobic and anaerobic HR's will help with short term sprint speed, but leave nothing left in the tank to finish out the motos strong.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
10/22/2013 10:48am
I say workouts for endurance should include a mix of aerobic and anaerobic. Find the pace that is pushing yourself pretty hard, but that you can maintain for 30-60 minutes. Then add in some periods of intensity that push you in the anaerobic stage (Hills on a mountain bike, fast sections if you're running). I have no scientific data on this. I just know that the harder you work, the stronger your body (and heart) become. Ultimately aren't we trying to increase the strength of our hearts, and increase our body's oxygen efficiency?

It's like saying that the guy who runs on flat ground for 90 minutes is going to be stronger and have more endurance than the guy who runs up a nasty hills for 30 minutes. Absurd! The guy running hills will whoop your ass!

Running or cycling at a low heart rate for endless hours is a waste of time. It's like lifting weights with 10 lbs for hour upon hour.

I would bet money that working hard enough to bounce in and out of your aerobic zone will increase your endurance far more than staying below 70%.

If you work out the way I'm suggesting, and your competitors don't, you'll be able to outwork your competitors every single time.

Stamp it!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/22/2013 11:35am
GuyB wrote:
I'm not a doctor and don't claim to be. But I do know a past mountain bike downhill world champ (Dave Cullinan) who wasn't allowed to...
I'm not a doctor and don't claim to be. But I do know a past mountain bike downhill world champ (Dave Cullinan) who wasn't allowed to race by the sanctioning body because he was on blood thinners after a heart valve replacement. They were afraid he'd bleed out if he crashed.

That's where the comment came from.
It's a especially a problem if you have a closed head injury.
10/22/2013 4:11pm
Radical wrote:
I say workouts for endurance should include a mix of aerobic and anaerobic. Find the pace that is pushing yourself pretty hard, but that you can...
I say workouts for endurance should include a mix of aerobic and anaerobic. Find the pace that is pushing yourself pretty hard, but that you can maintain for 30-60 minutes. Then add in some periods of intensity that push you in the anaerobic stage (Hills on a mountain bike, fast sections if you're running). I have no scientific data on this. I just know that the harder you work, the stronger your body (and heart) become. Ultimately aren't we trying to increase the strength of our hearts, and increase our body's oxygen efficiency?

It's like saying that the guy who runs on flat ground for 90 minutes is going to be stronger and have more endurance than the guy who runs up a nasty hills for 30 minutes. Absurd! The guy running hills will whoop your ass!

Running or cycling at a low heart rate for endless hours is a waste of time. It's like lifting weights with 10 lbs for hour upon hour.

I would bet money that working hard enough to bounce in and out of your aerobic zone will increase your endurance far more than staying below 70%.

If you work out the way I'm suggesting, and your competitors don't, you'll be able to outwork your competitors every single time.

Stamp it!
Actually, if you are into ENDURANCE sports that last HOURS....then you need to be able to run/bike at low heart rates...for HOURS. To truly build a massive AEROBIC engine, you need to STAY AEROBIC in your primary training sessions. SPEEDWORK is where you use the anaerobic approach for shorter periods. A marathon runner of 3 hours, guess what, they are aerobic heart rates. "Slow" is a relative term. My brother can run at a 7:30 pace and is quite aerobic doing so. I am not however, but I am working on it.

And yes, if you take a guy that trains aerobically for 90 minutes 5x a week on mostly flat....and take a guy that trains say 50/50 aerobic/anaerobic for 30 minutes on hills 5x a week...and put them to a hilly workout of 30 minutes, the guy that did the time is going to win even though he may have little hill work. If you have no direct experience with it, then you just do not know. Sorry. Training longer aerobically builds the base and pushes the anaerobic threshold higher than the guy that only does faster, shorter training. Why do you think 5k runners use LONG DISTANCE running at low heart rates of ~15 miles? Because it builds the necessary oxygen receptors in the muscle tissues that allow them to use oxygen more effectively, and that process DOES NOT OCCUR at high/anaerobic heart rates.

When Dungey and Villo go out on 60-80 mile road bike rides, do you think they are maxed out the whole way? Not even close...

Different sports require different approaches.
piscokid
10/22/2013 7:35pm
The 190 is his max heart rate. His actual heart rate is 151 bpm. Still pretty damn cool though.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
10/22/2013 8:13pm
Is a non-strap hrm watch reliable? If so can anyone recommend one that would be good to wear every day so you can monitor resting hr as well? That would be cool.
Fearo
10/23/2013 1:33am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2013 1:38am
jeffro503 wrote:

There's been some good info from specialists in this thread, and I am just a (seasoned) moto-fitness enthusiast, but here's my take on it.

You need to look at your fitness like a pyramid. 90% is at the top obviously, and that's in the anaerobic zone, meaning at that point your body can't get rid of the lactic acid fast enough and starts stacking it up. What most people don't understand is that regular crosstraining at 90% of your max HR is not only non-beneficial, it can be counter productive. You need to build your fitness up from the base and move up to the top. any crosstraining like cycling, swimming etc is great until about ~80 of your pyramid, but the actual anaerobic training should be done on the bike and only pushed hard at certain times in the year beause every human's fitness has peaks and valleys. You can't hold a high level of fitness for an entire year (well, without PED's anyway). Training past your VO2max in the off-season for example is totally non-beneficial but ironically that's what a lot of guys will do because they think they need to "train a little harder and longer than what a race would require".

Bottom line is: only train above your VO2max in-season and remember that you can not actually 'improve' your fitness at this intensity, you can only force your body to adapt to the suffering which will allow you to train longer at this intensity. But the amount of 'power' or 'strength' you can put forth at this high intensity is entirely dependant on the training you have done in the lower (aerobic) zones.
EastFlorida
10/23/2013 5:26am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2013 5:29am
GREAT info in this thread!

So what training heart rate would a Hare Scrambles rider train at? 2 hour races, lots of heat, moments of explosive power needed, but high intensity for a long time...

Aerobic (Zone 3) would be best I'm guessing? What training schedule/activities would be best?
Squishy
10/23/2013 6:28am
Stolen from a triathlon forum but has great information in regards to heart rate and zone training;

Because I'm also trying to put more information here, I'm also attaching a link to an Excel spreadsheet a user named Morbius (from another forum, I think) made years ago that will show calculations based on some of the afore-mentioned coaches or methods (Coggan, Friel, Karvonen), and also include calculations based on the British Cycling Federation and a few others. Some don't look helpful at all, but for the sake of completeness, they're there.

The link to the spreadsheet in my public Google Drive folder:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9TE...it?usp=sharing
Ctrl+S should allow it to be downloaded so it can be edited, and I'm also assuming it can just be imported into one's own Google Docs account as well for editing there.
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
10/23/2013 10:26am
Tim507 wrote:

thephoenix wrote:
Actually, not muscle per se, but anaerobic burns the stored sugars/glycogen (carbs) in your blood and tissues initially, which does not require near as much oxygen...

Nicely said Phoenix - The only thing to add to that is some training at anerobic threshhold is important so that you know how it feels and learn to operate at that high level. If you are not accustomed to that feeling it can be difficult to think straight when you are tapped out.

For those of us who are a bit more mature (ahem) the base training is even more important as we recover more slowly and lose muscle mass as we age. As a 51 year old athlete I know from first hand experience how easily you get injured by doing "too much too fast"......build the base just as Fearo mentioned above and you can race, run, bike and do almost anything you want to try. As much as LSD is a drug culture reference it is very important to anyone trying to establish a good fitness base - LSD = Long, Slow, Distance.

Whatever you can do to improve your fitness will pay off when you are younger and then REALLY payoff when you can continue to enjoy sports for years to come.

GuyB......see what a great thread you started. Nice !!!

Post a reply to: Interesting heart rate stuff from tonight

The Latest