Instead of the Triple Crown Format...

Related:
Create New Tag

1/29/2018 6:38 AM

Why not follow the motocross format and go with 2 motos?

Could do 2 x 10 minutes + 2 laps for the 250 class and 2 x 15 minutes + 2 laps for the 450 class.

Not sure if I missed a thread on this one, but not sure why they would go from 1 race to 3 instead of following the motocross format which works well.

|

1/29/2018 6:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 6:41 AM

Why not go with 4 mains? There are 3 claws in the Monster Logo so there will be 3 Mains! If it was Redbull there would be 2 because there are 2 points on the bulls horns. If it was Rockstar there would be 5......

|

1/29/2018 6:44 AM

rob27ma wrote:

Could do 2 x 10 minutes + 2 laps for the 250 class and 2 x 15 minutes + 2 laps for the 450 class.

Not sure if I missed a thread on this one, but not sure why they would go from 1 race to 3 instead of following the motocross format which works well.

Track deterioration. Outdoors is natural terrain that doesn’t have plywood and flooring underneath it. I’m surprised the last 2 motos in the triple crown held up. And let’s face it. None of the riders seemed to like the Triple crown format.

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

1/29/2018 6:48 AM

"Summer-series" #bro.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/29/2018 7:42 AM

Why not stop trying to fix shit thats not broken

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

1/29/2018 7:56 AM

Triple crown was flop.
Really a 6 minute main???

Did you happen to watch the finals last year? Osborne goes down, 14:45 later passes Savaygy second to last corner. How exciting was that.

6 minute race, watch the start, see a few passes, race over. On to the next 8 minute main with the 450's. Maybe it will be different??? Nope, wasn't any different.

I can hold on to a lead for 6 minutes and I'm fat. ( okay you got me, I'm not fat and I can't hold a lead )

Longer race test a riders concentration, fitness and all sorts of other things. Now we don't need a 3 hour race and watch riders pass out from exhaustion...

|

1/29/2018 8:01 AM

Yeah, the three main format just isn't the same without the joker lane. I guess we will just have to wait til next year.

|

1/29/2018 8:03 AM

Acidreamer wrote:

Why not stop trying to fix shit thats not broken

I agree on sticking with the longer format, and I'm personally not a fan of the triple crown format and short mains, but since they appear to want to change the format seems like two motos per class would simplify it, and still give some longer mains.

|

1/29/2018 8:48 AM

rob27ma wrote:

With 3 motos, you usually go into the final moto with the top 6 in contention for the overall.

With 2 motos, you go into the final moto with usually the top 3 in contention for the overall.

With 1 main, everyone is in contention for about the first 2 seconds of the race and then it's usually a 2 man show.

They want parody. They think that will be exciting to viewers. They want to improve the product. How they get their is debatable.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

1/29/2018 8:52 AM

Dcope17 wrote:

Triple crown was flop.
Really a 6 minute main???

Did you happen to watch the finals last year? Osborne goes down, 14:45 later passes Savaygy second to last corner. How exciting was that.

6 minute race, watch the start, see a few passes, race over. On to the next 8 minute main with the 450's. Maybe it will be different??? Nope, wasn't any different.

I can hold on to a lead for 6 minutes and I'm fat. ( okay you got me, I'm not fat and I can't hold a lead )

Longer race test a riders concentration, fitness and all sorts of other things. Now we don't need a 3 hour race and watch riders pass out from exhaustion...

That Osborne/Savaygy exchange was a once in every 15 years occurrence.

You're literally going to use a best-case outlier situation as your example of a format "working"?

Meanwhile, the 3-main format has been used only a few times and it's generally more exciting than the single mains.

The only thing the 3-main format screwed up was the overall TV production of it.

I'll say it again, I cannot believe how much y'all claim to love boring heats & LCQs. Last weekend's heats had no lead changes and nothing interesting. It was practice laps for the top guys. Nothing more.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

1/29/2018 9:34 AM

Quit trying to make the weaker... stronger .. by a format change.

|

1/29/2018 10:27 AM

I think it should be a double moto format with two longer motos, points scored each moto just like outdoors. Now how they fill 3 hours with that format is the problem. I mean it’s not really bad the way it’s always been. The build up and anticipation for the main events is also pretty cool. Glad they are at least kicking around ideas and trying things to spice it up.

|

1/29/2018 11:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 11:26 AM

Jabroni wrote:

With 3 motos, you usually go into the final moto with the top 6 in contention for the overall.

With 2 motos, you go into the final moto with usually the top 3 in contention for the overall.

With 1 main, everyone is in contention for about the first 2 seconds of the race and then it's usually a 2 man show.

They want parody. They think that will be exciting to viewers. They want to improve the product. How they get their is debatable.

Before I began to post in this forum, I had always questioned the demographics of the community, particularly in regard to educational levels. That's not an insignificant thing, because this place is a microcosm of motocross fans, and it speaks to the quality of the broader audience, which, in turn, is reflected by sponsorship and TV production. (I mean, could the "Ralph Sheheen Show" be any dumber?) AMA motocross (particularly Supercross) has always screamed "low-end audience" to me. It ain't an F1 crowd, that much is clear.

So here we are. I have never, ever seen people repeatedly use "parody" for "parity" the way they do here. Apropos.

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

1/29/2018 3:51 PM

Jabroni wrote:

That Osborne/Savaygy exchange was a once in every 15 years occurrence.

You're literally going to use a best-case outlier situation as your example of a format "working"?

Meanwhile, the 3-main format has been used only a few times and it's generally more exciting than the single mains.

The only thing the 3-main format screwed up was the overall TV production of it.

I'll say it again, I cannot believe how much y'all claim to love boring heats & LCQs. Last weekend's heats had no lead changes and nothing interesting. It was practice laps for the top guys. Nothing more.

Well, once in every 15 years is better than never with the Triple Crown format.

There is the whole 2013 and 2014 SX seasons on YouTube and watching those, there were some very exciting races. Leads changed hands several times during the 20 lap main
Certainly a few where they're showing all the back to 15th. place since nothing was happening up front.

That will not happen with the Triple Crown format. No time for the fast guys to work through the pack from a bad start or a crash in Osborne's case.

In any case, 3 starts with a short main, you thought starts were important before, now they are the race. Nothing much changes after the first turn...

|

1/29/2018 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 4:11 PM

jbomx363 wrote:

Quit trying to make the weaker... stronger .. by a format change.

Like I said in another thread, why not just make this whole thing a 2 hour main event.....and watch Kailub Russel and Cody Webb battle it out? I mean, if it's going to be survival of the fittest there is a whole different level out there, you realize that right? What is your calibration of who is weak and who is strong?

|

1/29/2018 5:17 PM

rob27ma wrote:

Jabroni wrote:

Brownstone322 wrote:

Before I began to post in this forum, I had always questioned the demographics of the community, particularly in regard to educational levels. That's not an insignificant thing, because this place is a microcosm of motocross fans, and it speaks to the quality of the broader audience, which, in turn, is reflected by sponsorship and TV production. (I mean, could the "Ralph Sheheen Show" be any dumber?) AMA motocross (particularly Supercross) has always screamed "low-end audience" to me. It ain't an F1 crowd, that much is clear.

So here we are. I have never, ever seen people repeatedly use "parody" for "parity" the way they do here. Apropos.

No, he was using it correctly. The triple crown is a parody of the sport.

|

1/29/2018 5:19 PM

Jabroni wrote:

Brownstone322 wrote:

mx617 wrote:

...And he didn't even mention the breaking bumps.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/29/2018 5:19 PM

Yes great idea. Let’s make the start even more important. /sarc

|

1/29/2018 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 5:52 PM

mx617 wrote:

Ha, I've made that joke too, kind of. I've always thought Supercross was a parody of motocross.

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

1/29/2018 6:04 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

mx617 wrote:

Brownstone322 wrote:

Ha, I've made that joke too, kind of. I've always thought Supercross was a parody of motocross.

Lol. If you parody a parody doesn't that make it real again? blink

|

1/29/2018 6:05 PM

Overall though, I'm kind of surprised how divisive this is. Seems everyone loves it or hates it.

|

1/29/2018 6:26 PM

mx617 wrote:

Overall though, I'm kind of surprised how divisive this is. Seems everyone loves it or hates it.

I've loved it, hated it, been trying to justify both sides. Sometimes being a fan is exhausting! After Glendale, I like old and new together. 3 rounds of the Triple Crown is perfect if (and only if) the deciding Main is a winner takes all. Forget the Olympic (overall) scoring. Award a championship point per moto 1 winner and moto 2 winner and full championship points to the winner of the Main.

|

1/30/2018 4:32 AM

Using the current format, if Tomac keeps his bike upright, gonna be a really boring series from here on out.

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior

1/30/2018 6:15 AM

It’s hard to believe Tomac is only 1 point down on MooseCan!

|