Input on Mtn. E-bike racing please.

Bearuno
5/10/2020 10:57am
Crush wrote:
Yeah it's crazy how much MTBers are in to the geometry and the tech... If I hear "if I just had this..." one more time.... ha
Bigger excuse makers you will never find - MTBers. They make MC riders, who are pretty bloody good at excuses, look like amateurs. Woohoo

E Bikes : I make frames. Have done for over 4 decades. And, am now over 60, and on walking sticks / crutches. So, pretty much all I do is downhill runs in testing.

All of my friends/ former team riders, are constantly on about me getting a E Bike to be able to ride with them again. A few months ago a mate left his E Bike ( a Giant that I, being a bad man , did a re-location of the sensor to 'lift' the piss poor OZ speed cut out - hell, I could get the power to cut of in a few meters, even with my f***ked knees) with me while he went to Whistler/ Banff, and a few other places in Canada and NA. I mostly rode the bike at around 2 or 3 in the morning ( as I'd be in the workshop making frames - I've always been a Night Time maker ), going up Mitchells Pass or Old Bathurst Road, then doing DH runs. Up and down, up and down, until daylight. It really was a stupid thing to do. But, so much fun. Then, I decided to try an 80k 'there and back' ride I used to do in the late 90s, early 2000s for fun and training, a couple of times a week. Something I have no hope of doing on a pure pedal bike, nowadays. It was Awesome to be able to do it again.

So, an E Bike is on the cards. But, a E Motor set up, among the Major manufacturers, is mega bucks, even at trade price. And, there is so much constant change. And, so many different set ups. The Revonte motor and gearbox set up appeals, as does the Fazua when it comes to a lighter weight, non mega power set up that I could still take the battery and drive set up out for standard DH /race use. Loic Brunis' Dad used a Fazua frame set upped Bike to win a Masters DH World title, last year, to match his Sons World Championship. Or, there's the small, but very trick Mahle ( yes, the same name as the fabled Pistons) hub motor that is not much heavier than a 12 speed derailleur rear end, that I could run with my Pinion Gear Box frame. Then you get Monster power set ups like the Bafang G510 Mid Mount Motor - yes, Bafang, that is mostly know for 'clip on' E kits. And, it's quite affordable.

I've already got a cradle set up for the Shimano E 8000, ready to do a frame for, and have got feelers out for a 'write off' with contacts in the Bicycle and Insurance industry I have. It's probably the easiest option for me at the moment. Though, there is some 'noise' about a new Shimano set up to be announced in the next few months, to keep up with all of the new models from other major players. I hope that Shimano uses the same mount points as the E 8000, but, there's fat chance of that.....

But, I have so many frame builds, both bicycle and MC I am committed to, that an E Bike is at the bottom of the 'to do' list, unfortunately. People get what they pay me for, in the time frame they've been promised, so, no sneaking in my toys before theirs.

There are So many options. I was waiting for the Fox 38s for a E Bike set up, but, bugger that, I'll use dual crown forks, and a full DH set up. There will be the motor to make up for it, and, I don't feel 'right' on anything but a Big, Long bike dual crowned bike - I've made my own bikes like that since the 90s - ' new geometries' my arse.....

You get the smartarses that hate E Bikes.

You get the smartarses that rave about them. Generally through how much they've spent on them - fugg, a top of the line E Bike from most manufacturers, is more expensive here in OZ than a fully road legal 450 / 501 Enduro bike, or 'Factory Edition' you name it MXer.

They are just another fun 'thing', to me.

And, they are looking to be a way to still be able to ride in my local area, where I've ridden my ICE bikes for decades, but am now becoming very wary of riding in. Ironically, because so many MTBers are taking over these areas, and being 'holier than thou' about it. Whilst carving up the Bush more in the last few years, than Motorcycles have done in many, many decades......... So many trails are being cut in, and, dug in.

One thing I'm sure of, is that E Bikes should Never be out on a Race Course, during a Race, at the same time as standard, legs only bikes. Unless it's Me, on full power settings for the flats and the 'ups', then, turning the power off, so I can utterly terrorize the bastards with goods legs , on the Downhill sections, like I used to do ........Evil
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
5/10/2020 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 2:31pm
Bearuno wrote:
Bigger excuse makers you will never find - MTBers. They make MC riders, who are pretty bloody good at excuses, look like amateurs. :woohoo: E Bikes...
Bigger excuse makers you will never find - MTBers. They make MC riders, who are pretty bloody good at excuses, look like amateurs. Woohoo

E Bikes : I make frames. Have done for over 4 decades. And, am now over 60, and on walking sticks / crutches. So, pretty much all I do is downhill runs in testing.

All of my friends/ former team riders, are constantly on about me getting a E Bike to be able to ride with them again. A few months ago a mate left his E Bike ( a Giant that I, being a bad man , did a re-location of the sensor to 'lift' the piss poor OZ speed cut out - hell, I could get the power to cut of in a few meters, even with my f***ked knees) with me while he went to Whistler/ Banff, and a few other places in Canada and NA. I mostly rode the bike at around 2 or 3 in the morning ( as I'd be in the workshop making frames - I've always been a Night Time maker ), going up Mitchells Pass or Old Bathurst Road, then doing DH runs. Up and down, up and down, until daylight. It really was a stupid thing to do. But, so much fun. Then, I decided to try an 80k 'there and back' ride I used to do in the late 90s, early 2000s for fun and training, a couple of times a week. Something I have no hope of doing on a pure pedal bike, nowadays. It was Awesome to be able to do it again.

So, an E Bike is on the cards. But, a E Motor set up, among the Major manufacturers, is mega bucks, even at trade price. And, there is so much constant change. And, so many different set ups. The Revonte motor and gearbox set up appeals, as does the Fazua when it comes to a lighter weight, non mega power set up that I could still take the battery and drive set up out for standard DH /race use. Loic Brunis' Dad used a Fazua frame set upped Bike to win a Masters DH World title, last year, to match his Sons World Championship. Or, there's the small, but very trick Mahle ( yes, the same name as the fabled Pistons) hub motor that is not much heavier than a 12 speed derailleur rear end, that I could run with my Pinion Gear Box frame. Then you get Monster power set ups like the Bafang G510 Mid Mount Motor - yes, Bafang, that is mostly know for 'clip on' E kits. And, it's quite affordable.

I've already got a cradle set up for the Shimano E 8000, ready to do a frame for, and have got feelers out for a 'write off' with contacts in the Bicycle and Insurance industry I have. It's probably the easiest option for me at the moment. Though, there is some 'noise' about a new Shimano set up to be announced in the next few months, to keep up with all of the new models from other major players. I hope that Shimano uses the same mount points as the E 8000, but, there's fat chance of that.....

But, I have so many frame builds, both bicycle and MC I am committed to, that an E Bike is at the bottom of the 'to do' list, unfortunately. People get what they pay me for, in the time frame they've been promised, so, no sneaking in my toys before theirs.

There are So many options. I was waiting for the Fox 38s for a E Bike set up, but, bugger that, I'll use dual crown forks, and a full DH set up. There will be the motor to make up for it, and, I don't feel 'right' on anything but a Big, Long bike dual crowned bike - I've made my own bikes like that since the 90s - ' new geometries' my arse.....

You get the smartarses that rave about them. Generally through how much they've spent on them - fugg, a top of the line E Bike from most manufacturers, is more expensive here in OZ than a fully road legal 450 / 501 Enduro bike, or 'Factory Edition' you name it MXer.

And, they are looking to be a way to still be able to ride in my local area, where I've ridden my ICE bikes for decades, but am now becoming very wary of riding in. Ironically, because so many MTBers are taking over these areas, and being 'holier than thou' about it. Whilst carving up the Bush more in the last few years, than Motorcycles have done in many, many decades......... So many trails are being cut in, and, dug in.

One thing I'm sure of, is that E Bikes should Never be out on a Race Course, during a Race, at the same time as standard, legs only bikes. Unless it's Me, on full power settings for the flats and the 'ups', then, turning the power off, so I can utterly terrorize the bastards with goods legs , on the Downhill sections, like I used to do ........Evil
Talking about racing and e-bikes. Does anyone think we will see e-bikes in the Tour De France? With all the OEM’s pushing e-bikes now like they did disc brakes previously, I think it’s only a matter of time before they are incorporated into the race.
5/10/2020 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 3:29pm
Crush wrote:
Yeah it's crazy how much MTBers are in to the geometry and the tech... If I hear "if I just had this..." one more time.... ha
Bearuno wrote:
Bigger excuse makers you will never find - MTBers. They make MC riders, who are pretty bloody good at excuses, look like amateurs. :woohoo: E Bikes...

Old Bathurst Rd. Ridden that many a time.
Also doing Train shuttles Haha

Racing E bikes doesnt make sense to me.
Crush
5/10/2020 7:04pm
Bearuno, lots of 2nd hand going... particularly Levos. I know you're a tinkerer but I'd just buy one and ride it mate. They're a lot of fun! Bloody expensive for sure, but the good thing about MTB is the accessibility. If you've got trails reasonably close that's a lot of fun with no real setup, packdown, or other time costs.

The Shop

Crush
5/10/2020 7:24pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Talking about racing and e-bikes. Does anyone think we will see e-bikes in the Tour De France? With all the OEM’s pushing e-bikes now like they...
Talking about racing and e-bikes. Does anyone think we will see e-bikes in the Tour De France? With all the OEM’s pushing e-bikes now like they did disc brakes previously, I think it’s only a matter of time before they are incorporated into the race.
There's already been a case of a Lady with a motor in a road race I believe?
Dropbear
5/10/2020 8:20pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Talking about racing and e-bikes. Does anyone think we will see e-bikes in the Tour De France? With all the OEM’s pushing e-bikes now like they...
Crush wrote:
There's already been a case of a Lady with a motor in a road race I believe?
I’m not sure how true, but a cyclocross racer was caught having a small electric motor in their seat tube assisting pedaling.
Dropbear
5/10/2020 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 8:47pm
Crush wrote:
Bearuno wrote:

Old Bathurst Rd. Ridden that many a time.
Also doing Train shuttles Haha

Racing E bikes doesnt make sense to me.
I think stage races are the go for e-bikes. Special Test’s on downhill gravity sections (doing over 25kmh anyway) and power used mainly for untimed but time limited climbing on transport sections. Just like old school motorcycle enduro’s.
Crush
5/10/2020 10:26pm
They're incorporating them in to the EWS series this year, although I think different event/day for the first year...

So riding up is just within a timeframe, like a travel stage, and then race down. Would be fun as hell!
5/11/2020 9:25am
Not mine but checkout this new bike, it's top dog. If you can spot the upgrades you'll notice you could buy two new 450's for the cost of this bike.

Dropbear
5/11/2020 3:54pm
Not mine but checkout this new bike, it's top dog. If you can spot the upgrades you'll notice you could buy two new 450's for the...
Not mine but checkout this new bike, it's top dog. If you can spot the upgrades you'll notice you could buy two new 450's for the cost of this bike.

So true, See it a lot. When you’re with a bunch of newbies or ex roadies, it’s some kind of wank session about how much your bike cost. Marketer’s dream.

Motocrossers and old school mtb’ers would just think you are a stooge and will tell you have been ripped off.
BS12
5/11/2020 5:33pm
Not mine but checkout this new bike, it's top dog. If you can spot the upgrades you'll notice you could buy two new 450's for the...

1) Specialized Turbo Levo. E-bike.

2) Not just a Specialized, but an S-Works.

3) SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS - electronic shifting upgrade.

That thing is easily in the vicinity of $13-14k USD. That bloke needs to upgrade to the new Levo SL just because.

My coach gets help from Giant, and is currently running a fully spec'd Anthem. He's also running Eagle AXS grouoset, with the Fox Live Suspension as well, which is truly something else:

https://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=livevalve-bike
Brent
5/11/2020 5:56pm
...one little thing I have on my Specialized Levo is the speed limiter bypass gear that goes on the rear wheel. No software re-programming because its a mechanical device.The only problem is it gets dirty easily, so riding in mud or wet conditions is a no go.

5/11/2020 6:20pm

BS12 wrote:
1) Specialized Turbo Levo. E-bike. 2) Not just a Specialized, but an S-Works. 3) SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS - electronic shifting upgrade. That thing is easily...
1) Specialized Turbo Levo. E-bike.

2) Not just a Specialized, but an S-Works.

3) SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS - electronic shifting upgrade.

That thing is easily in the vicinity of $13-14k USD. That bloke needs to upgrade to the new Levo SL just because.

My coach gets help from Giant, and is currently running a fully spec'd Anthem. He's also running Eagle AXS grouoset, with the Fox Live Suspension as well, which is truly something else:

https://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=livevalve-bike
And...

4) Electronic dropper post
5) Oversized front rotor

And a few other goodies.
f052zy8002
5/13/2020 8:58am

That is an insane machine! Envy that thing for sure

Roval carbon wheels, brakes, elec dropper and drivetrain! Those who know, know!

I'm on an aggressive hardtail, probably the next best thing to an E-Bike.

Post a reply to: Input on Mtn. E-bike racing please.

The Latest