Input on Mtn. E-bike racing please.

moto0852
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 6:20pm
So I did it! I pulled the trigger on a new Intense Tazer E bike. I do the WORCS races in the over 50 class on my KTM 300 XC and they just started up an E bike race to run in conjunction with the Off road race. It's 35 min. long on the day before the Offroad race. I've never ridden an E bike! I'm wondering if any of you have any input? How taxing will a 35 min. race be? Will it tire me out for my main race the next day? (remember, I'm old). Any tips, tricks to do well? By the way, I used the Pulpmx code and that was what tipped the scales for me in pulling the trigger and getting one.
|
Nellie12
5/8/2020 10:22am
Can't answer most of your questions. What I can tell you is that I have a Commencal E-bike and love riding it. I would not normally ride mnt bikes, much. I tend to ride twice as far as I would on my regular mnt bike. I'm 58 and since this covid crap started, I'm riding it 5 days a week and generally for about an hour. I don't think you'll have any problems racing the next day.
5/8/2020 10:40am
moto0852 wrote:
So I did it! I pulled the trigger on a new Intense Tazer E bike. I do the WORCS races in the over 50 class on...
So I did it! I pulled the trigger on a new Intense Tazer E bike. I do the WORCS races in the over 50 class on my KTM 300 XC and they just started up an E bike race to run in conjunction with the Off road race. It's 35 min. long on the day before the Offroad race. I've never ridden an E bike! I'm wondering if any of you have any input? How taxing will a 35 min. race be? Will it tire me out for my main race the next day? (remember, I'm old). Any tips, tricks to do well? By the way, I used the Pulpmx code and that was what tipped the scales for me in pulling the trigger and getting one.
Congrats, that thing is sick. How much OTD after the coupon? These are the perfect solution for us old guys who have no time to ride every couple days and don't want to throw up while exerting ourselves on a regular mtb bike.

You still get all the fun out of riding, you can actually go farther, you still get exercise, and it doesn't kill you.
Spooner
5/8/2020 10:43am
You will be able to get the Intense E bikes through motorcycle shops this fall also.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
5/8/2020 10:52am
If I won the lottery one would be on my must buy list!

The Shop

c0ncEpT
5/8/2020 11:03am
You still put in how ever much work you want. You just go a lot faster.

If you race with some guys that are really fit and powerful it's going to take a ton of energy to keep up with them. You'll just be going a lot faster than a regular bike for the same power output.
ti473
5/8/2020 11:15am
Do you accept negative input?
xrmark
5/8/2020 11:17am
itll be like any other bicycle race. Your pedal strokes just wont hurt as bad 20 minutes in. Id say put in the easiest mode and go. Never understood why guys get crap for ripping in the easiest mode. You put a motor on a bicycle lol
moto0852
5/8/2020 11:40am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 11:41am
moto0852 wrote:
So I did it! I pulled the trigger on a new Intense Tazer E bike. I do the WORCS races in the over 50 class on...
Congrats, that thing is sick. How much OTD after the coupon? These are the perfect solution for us old guys who have no time to ride...
Congrats, that thing is sick. How much OTD after the coupon? These are the perfect solution for us old guys who have no time to ride every couple days and don't want to throw up while exerting ourselves on a regular mtb bike.

You still get all the fun out of riding, you can actually go farther, you still get exercise, and it doesn't kill you.
It's 7k with 10% off with the Pulp code. It ain't cheap.
xrmark
5/8/2020 11:56am
moto0852 wrote:
Congrats, that thing is sick. How much OTD after the coupon? These are the perfect solution for us old guys who have no time to ride...

moto0852 wrote:
more power to ya brotha, congrats. But holy shit.
5/8/2020 11:57am
moto0852 wrote:

moto0852 wrote:
That's not bad, I was expecting more. These E-bikes are in their infancy stages and getting better and cheaper every year.
Pirate421
5/8/2020 12:38pm
Local bike shop here has a Tazer in my size for $5600 I’ve seriously debated it!
Forty
5/8/2020 12:43pm
moto0852 wrote:
Nice bike. Have fun. 35 minutes will go by quickly and it will make you a better rider.
crowe176
5/8/2020 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 12:56pm

moto0852 wrote:
That's not bad, I was expecting more. These E-bikes are in their infancy stages and getting better and cheaper every year.
This is the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger yet. I don’t want to spend $7k on something that will have twice better tech in two years at a “lower” price. (I know these will always be pricey lol) I rode a Trek hybrid something for the first time last weekend. It didn’t have much for suspension, but it made me excited to get one that you can point down some steep trails..
moto0852
5/8/2020 1:00pm
moto0852 wrote:
crowe176 wrote:
This is the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger yet. I don’t want to spend $7k on something that will have twice better tech in...
This is the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger yet. I don’t want to spend $7k on something that will have twice better tech in two years at a “lower” price. (I know these will always be pricey lol) I rode a Trek hybrid something for the first time last weekend. It didn’t have much for suspension, but it made me excited to get one that you can point down some steep trails..
Yup. I'm old so I remember the 80's of moto. You HAD to get a new bike every year because of the progression. Air cooled to water cooled, twin shocks to single shock. 8 in. of travel to 12 in. etc. That's where these Ebikes are now. I'll hopefully get enough use out of it that I can sell it in three years and have gotten my moneys worth.
5/8/2020 1:32pm
moto0852 wrote:
crowe176 wrote:
This is the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger yet. I don’t want to spend $7k on something that will have twice better tech in...
The current Ebikes are pretty good, you can definitely bomb downhill and they will take anything you throw at them. What will improve is battery performance and weight. I believe most bikes currently weigh close to 50lbs.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/8/2020 4:25pm
I've never ridden an e-bike, but everyone I talk to who has one says that it's just as taxing as a regular bike... you are simply going much farther and faster than on a pedal-only MTB. I bet a bicycle race would kill me, and so would an e-bike race! (At least on a GNCC track. I might try an e-Enduro or something.)
CHaynes
5/8/2020 6:07pm
If you can ride clipped in, I strongly encourage it. Just monitor your battery usage if you go for long rides, once the battery dies you will find out how heavy those bikes are and why you want that motor! Have fun, like everyone else has said, its fun and worth it.
BS12
5/8/2020 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 8:04pm
For those that mentioned wanting something a little more sendy in e-bike form, check this weapon:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-kenevo

Absolutely no doubt that e-bikes are gaining massive momentum. There will always be the traditionalists (dare I say it myself included) however their advantages cannot be denied. Plus, you don't have to use the assists, can always turn it off.

Nice pick up on the Intense mate!
Crush
5/8/2020 7:13pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Can't answer most of your questions. What I can tell you is that I have a Commencal E-bike and love riding it. I would not normally...
Can't answer most of your questions. What I can tell you is that I have a Commencal E-bike and love riding it. I would not normally ride mnt bikes, much. I tend to ride twice as far as I would on my regular mnt bike. I'm 58 and since this covid crap started, I'm riding it 5 days a week and generally for about an hour. I don't think you'll have any problems racing the next day.
Which Commencal do you have?
rohleder644
5/8/2020 7:17pm
Help me out here, I don’t quite get the E-bike thing. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re rad. But, I’ve got road bikes. I’ve got a dirt jumper. I’ve got a cross country mountain bike. I’ve got an enduro mountain bike. And I’ve got my 3 dirt bikes. What void is an E-bike going to fill?
Crush
5/8/2020 7:42pm
moto0852 wrote:
I have an e-bike. I don't know why people can't understand this simple point, and it will apply to you as it's a race.

Your max is your max.... If you are pedalling as fast as you can on an ebike, or a normal bike, well that's as fast as you can pedal. It's only "cheating" if you're racing against a bunch of acoustic bikes. What I don't get, is how people don't get that you get to ride more trails... isn't the point to have fun?

If you're riding with ebikes, well it's down to who's the fittest/best just like any other race. So your question about being tired? Treat it like any other 35minute exercise.

Crush
5/8/2020 7:45pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Local bike shop here has a Tazer in my size for $5600 I’ve seriously debated it!
I would highly doubt you would regret it.

MTB is super fun anyways... you get to ride more trails in the same time on an ebike. They're fun as fuck.
Crush
5/8/2020 7:48pm
BS12 wrote:
For those that mentioned wanting something a little more sendy in e-bike form, check this weapon: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-kenevo Absolutely no doubt that e-bikes are gaining massive momentum...
For those that mentioned wanting something a little more sendy in e-bike form, check this weapon:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-kenevo

Absolutely no doubt that e-bikes are gaining massive momentum. There will always be the traditionalists (dare I say it myself included) however their advantages cannot be denied. Plus, you don't have to use the assists, can always turn it off.

Nice pick up on the Intense mate!
Only thing i'll say to that, I've had a Levo and have a Kenevo. Your local trails should be a consideration.

The Kenevo is a bit of a wet blanket unless shit is steep and rowdy. Flat-ish trails it's a slug for sure. Better with an air-shock, but it just soaks everything up. Going downhill it's a fucking weapon though so depends on what you have to ride.

I think 160mm and air spring is a good place for ebikes. Seriously capable like an enduro bike but still lively when it's just trails.
Crush
5/8/2020 7:50pm
Help me out here, I don’t quite get the E-bike thing. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re rad. But, I’ve got road bikes. I’ve got...
Help me out here, I don’t quite get the E-bike thing. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re rad. But, I’ve got road bikes. I’ve got a dirt jumper. I’ve got a cross country mountain bike. I’ve got an enduro mountain bike. And I’ve got my 3 dirt bikes. What void is an E-bike going to fill?
Anything you can do on your off-road, you'll do more of in the same time on your ebike.

One of my mates takes his Levo to the Dirt Jumps here and kills it... It also is fine with all the northern beaches gnarlyness we have.

Unless you're group riding with acoustic bikes, I bet you'd ride your other bikes less, because you get to ride more trails.
BS12
5/8/2020 8:24pm
Crush wrote:
Only thing i'll say to that, I've had a Levo and have a Kenevo. Your local trails should be a consideration. The Kenevo is a bit...
Only thing i'll say to that, I've had a Levo and have a Kenevo. Your local trails should be a consideration.

The Kenevo is a bit of a wet blanket unless shit is steep and rowdy. Flat-ish trails it's a slug for sure. Better with an air-shock, but it just soaks everything up. Going downhill it's a fucking weapon though so depends on what you have to ride.

I think 160mm and air spring is a good place for ebikes. Seriously capable like an enduro bike but still lively when it's just trails.
Yeah Kenevo is definitely for the rowdier terrain but a killer, unique set up in that respect.

I'm on a Stumpy Expert 29 (pedal power) with the 160 upgrade in the front Smile Weapon for all my local, tamer trails and still holds its own in the steeper stuff down south from here. Such a dream to ride.
Nellie12
5/8/2020 9:03pm
ti473 wrote:
Do you accept negative input?
Laughing

Come on man....let's hear it.
Crush
5/8/2020 10:30pm
BS12 wrote:
Yeah Kenevo is definitely for the rowdier terrain but a killer, unique set up in that respect. I'm on a Stumpy Expert 29 (pedal power) with...
Yeah Kenevo is definitely for the rowdier terrain but a killer, unique set up in that respect.

I'm on a Stumpy Expert 29 (pedal power) with the 160 upgrade in the front Smile Weapon for all my local, tamer trails and still holds its own in the steeper stuff down south from here. Such a dream to ride.
Yep, can imagine that would be a fun setup! Being overbiked isn't great if you never have the chance to use the ammo... Now i've got the kenevo set up well, I don't regret it... but the sydney and central coast trails offer enough good downhill and rowdy shit that with an ebike it's worth it.

Post a reply to: Input on Mtn. E-bike racing please.

The Latest