Injury bike adaptations, show me yours.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2018 2:52 AM

Just curious to see how people have adapted their bikes after injury. I know there’s a lot of road racers that swap gear shifters, levels to other place so I’m sure there’s more people have done

For those that are interested or it may help, I’ll share mine.

After a bad wrist injury which left me with no movement I have toyed with the idea of a thumb throttle for the last 5 years. Yesterday was the day I finally got to try it after getting hold of a raptor throttle

Initially it was so strange, I was nose diving on the jumps and going to twist the throttle back mid air didn’t do a thing! Another thing that i noticed was hoe Sensitive the throttle was. In the deep turns it was so good. Burying the bike and going to wide open in a split second and exploding out of the turn was a good feeling. Something that I could never really do before. Gripping was difficult, as the thumb is on the throttle I had to use my fingers more. On the larger straights landing off jumps it was a lot better saving split second here and there. There’s certainly pros and cons to it, but after 2 sessions it felt more natural and I was jumping a lot better. I’m sure it will feel more natural eith some hours on the bike so I’m going to stick with it.

I thought I’d share as some people might be in the same boat

Photo

|

7/2/2018 10:08 AM

Man that’s crazy. I had a Yamaha blaster way back when with a twist throttle. Felt really sketchy even though I was use to a twist on a bike. I couldn’t imagine the feeling of a thumb throttle on a bike. Do you find it to have a lot of travel? I would think that too much travel from closed to WOT would screw with the control you have. Atleast you found a solution for your wrist. Pretty cool.

|

7/2/2018 10:27 AM

Photo

Works great for us old small minded, non-thinking guys. No clutch, shifter you just sit there and ride.
|

7/2/2018 10:39 AM

This isn't me but its a fitting post for a good buddy. If you see he isn't able to bend his knee back far enough to get on the peg. He's adapted to not squeezing the bike in left hand turns after his accident. Mind boggles me all the time.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/2/2018 11:06 AM

bf884 wrote:

Man that’s crazy. I had a Yamaha blaster way back when with a twist throttle. Felt really sketchy even though I was use to a twist on a bike. I couldn’t imagine the feeling of a thumb throttle on a bike. Do you find it to have a lot of travel? I would think that too much travel from closed to WOT would screw with the control you have. Atleast you found a solution for your wrist. Pretty cool.

Yeh it’s certainly a bit alien, but I’m hoping I won’t even second guess it after a while. The travel is actually slightly less that a twist. It feels like that anyway at the moment. It’s quite scary how fast and easy you can open in wide, especially on a 450 I can’t believe how fast they move! So yeh throttle control was my downfall But I was slowly adjusting to it after a few rides.

We are going to play around with the lever and make a new one that will come closer to the grip and more underneath so I wont have to stretch my thumb as far.

|

7/2/2018 11:08 AM

DTR830 wrote:

This isn't me but its a fitting post for a good buddy. If you see he isn't able to bend his knee back far enough to get on the peg. He's adapted to not squeezing the bike in left hand turns after his accident. Mind boggles me all the time.
Photo
Photo
Photo

Man that’s crazy, and cool to see it isn’t stopping him ride! How does he cope on the jumps? That must be painful for him if he catches in the rut and bends it back more than he’s able to!

|

7/2/2018 5:06 PM

Holy cow that’s crazy good for him. What does he do about his rear brake?

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/2/2018 5:38 PM

DTR830 wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo

It’s too bad he likes fat dudes, or he’s be an alright guy...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/2/2018 11:18 PM

GregDVT wrote:

Holy cow that’s crazy good for him. What does he do about his rear brake?

Its only when he sits for left turns. Standing, jumping etc hasn't changed.

|

7/25/2018 1:36 PM

This is going back 20 years ago or so, but I remember being at Pleasure Valley MX in PA, and watching a dude with a serious lack of style... or so I thought. I don't recall the make/model/class, but vividly recall some very odd body and bike positioning. Think of some very odd leg movements and weird stiff body mannerisms.

Of course I pegged him for being the dope on the track that couldn't ride well, until a buddy pointed out the obvious. Dude had ONE ARM. I was amazed. Lap after lap, he cranked out a full moto and beat a good portion of a pretty full gate. I have NO doubt he would have beat me if I were racing. His bike would have had some interesting setup I am sure, as this was before auto clutches and such. Made me respect his passion and determination greatly!

|