Injured rider at Whitney?

Ozy
3/15/2010 9:09am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 7:59am
I feel bad for starting a thread on this but I didn't want to put my question in the prayer thread:

How old is Jess Masterpool and does anybody know how he went down? I read it was a jump with a blind landing and I also read it was really windy.

I hope Jesse makes a full recovery
|
Sparkey
3/15/2010 9:17am
He's 13 +/- one year. Ripped this off of Proride:

LATEST NEWS: Hello everyone, we talked to Jesse's mom this afternoon. Jesse is still in a coma and although his breathing seems to be doing better he is still hooked to the breathing machine. The family is very hopeful and sees an improvement in Jesse today. Moreover, they said that they are, without a doubt, feeling e...veryones' prayers, so please keep them coming.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me" (John 14:1).

and Scott from PanicRev just got Jesse's site up and working

http://www.jessemasterpool.com/
SteveS
3/15/2010 9:32am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:24pm
Jesse was 14 at the time of last year's US Open.

The Shop

SteveS
3/15/2010 9:49am
Because he's a kid and only his parents can tell people, plus it just happened this weekend.

How much more specific do you want than what we've already heard? Unconscious, beginning to wake up over the weekend. Broken ribs and collapsed lung.
Ozy
3/15/2010 10:30am
SteveS wrote:
Because he's a kid and only his parents can tell people, plus it just happened this weekend. How much more specific do you want than what...
Because he's a kid and only his parents can tell people, plus it just happened this weekend.

How much more specific do you want than what we've already heard? Unconscious, beginning to wake up over the weekend. Broken ribs and collapsed lung.
I don't think I have typed anything disrespectful or done anything wrong with my questions. I have been on here long enough to know that no matter what you type somebody will get upset.

I'm going to answer the question you posed to me in your response above. First please keep in mind that I'm a parent and have a young son who is begging me to get him on a track and so far I refuse to do so because he is not mentally or physically ready for it.

I'm interested in how this accident occurred; was it rider error, did he get blown off his bike by a gust of wind, was he hit by other riders because of a blind landing jump. As a parent I keep track of serious injuries to other riders and use information gleaned to make decisions about when I will allow my own boy to ride, and what tracks I will allow him to ride.

As far as this young mans injuries and the associated prayer requests; again, I use the knowledge of how severely riders get injured on the track to guide my assessment of the risk verses reward over letting my kid ride and how far I'm still willing to push myself when I ride.

I am not demanding anybody disclose info they don't want to and I'm not saying anybody is doing something wrong by withholding this information. On the other hand, I am not doing anything wrong by trying to find out what happened.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for Jesse Masterpools terrible accident and I wish him and his family all the best! I sincerely hope and pray for this childs full recovery.
Killer Customz
3/15/2010 12:00pm
SteveS wrote:
Because he's a kid and only his parents can tell people, plus it just happened this weekend. How much more specific do you want than what...

Ozy wrote:
I don't think I have typed anything disrespectful or done anything wrong with my questions. I have been on here long enough to know that no...
I don't think I have typed anything disrespectful or done anything wrong with my questions. I have been on here long enough to know that no matter what you type somebody will get upset.

I'm going to answer the question you posed to me in your response above. First please keep in mind that I'm a parent and have a young son who is begging me to get him on a track and so far I refuse to do so because he is not mentally or physically ready for it.

I'm interested in how this accident occurred; was it rider error, did he get blown off his bike by a gust of wind, was he hit by other riders because of a blind landing jump. As a parent I keep track of serious injuries to other riders and use information gleaned to make decisions about when I will allow my own boy to ride, and what tracks I will allow him to ride.

As far as this young mans injuries and the associated prayer requests; again, I use the knowledge of how severely riders get injured on the track to guide my assessment of the risk verses reward over letting my kid ride and how far I'm still willing to push myself when I ride.

I am not demanding anybody disclose info they don't want to and I'm not saying anybody is doing something wrong by withholding this information. On the other hand, I am not doing anything wrong by trying to find out what happened.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for Jesse Masterpools terrible accident and I wish him and his family all the best! I sincerely hope and pray for this childs full recovery.
Ozy-

I agree you have not said anything disrespectful. However I do feel your going a little overboard by keeping track of injuries. Do you keep track of how many kids are hurt in car crashes or get hurt playing rec sports? For as many racers there are in this world, there are actually not to many serious injuries. I think that now days the internet just spreads things like wild fire and everyone gets on these forums, so everybody and their brother knows.

Jesse Masterpool is one of the best in amateur motocross right now and either rider error or conditions it happens. It sucks, its sad and nobody, especially a child deserves it, but a family like the Masterpool's dedicate their entire life to MX. It can happen to anybody.

Motocross is tough and is a little dangerous. But so is LIFE!
mxer146
3/15/2010 12:14pm
I don't want to stir the pot or any thing on this topic. I feel so bad for what the masterpool family is having to go through. I met them a few times last year and they are great people.

As far as the crash goes, I was at Whitney and heard a couple different things about what happened. I was at the line for the next moto when it was red flagged. I don't want to say exactly what I heard and get facts wrong though. Pretty much he crashed off a jump on the first lap and was unconcious in the pond next to the track. How he crashed is where I heard different stories.
3/15/2010 12:20pm
His condition has deteriorated, and it's not looking good.
3/15/2010 12:38pm
Ozy- I agree you have not said anything disrespectful. However I do feel your going a little overboard by keeping track of injuries. Do you keep...
Ozy-

I agree you have not said anything disrespectful. However I do feel your going a little overboard by keeping track of injuries. Do you keep track of how many kids are hurt in car crashes or get hurt playing rec sports? For as many racers there are in this world, there are actually not to many serious injuries. I think that now days the internet just spreads things like wild fire and everyone gets on these forums, so everybody and their brother knows.

Jesse Masterpool is one of the best in amateur motocross right now and either rider error or conditions it happens. It sucks, its sad and nobody, especially a child deserves it, but a family like the Masterpool's dedicate their entire life to MX. It can happen to anybody.

Motocross is tough and is a little dangerous. But so is LIFE!
MX is, by far, the most dangerous thing you can legally let your kid do. 10 million kids play baseball every year. Two or three die. 50 thousand kids(and that number is probably high) race MX and 5 to 10 a year die, you do the math.
3/15/2010 1:21pm
The spot where Jesse crashed was a 50ft tabletop. I had just redone the face on it the moto before his because I noticed it had some ruts in it. It was just a racing accident and that's that. He is in our prayers. Get well soon little man!!
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/15/2010 1:27pm
Highsider wrote:
Ozy wrote:
Thanks I wonder why nobody is releasing info on the specifics of Jesse's injuries? I had no idea just how young this kid is. Best wishes...
Thanks

I wonder why nobody is releasing info on the specifics of Jesse's injuries?

I had no idea just how young this kid is. Best wishes little guy, get well soon!
From having watched things like this over time, I'd say the general rule with injuries is something like the less news you get, the less likely you'd have wanted to hear it in the first place.
flarider
3/15/2010 1:31pm
GuyB wrote:
From having watched things like this over time, I'd say the general rule with injuries is something like the less news you get, the less likely...
From having watched things like this over time, I'd say the general rule with injuries is something like the less news you get, the less likely you'd have wanted to hear it in the first place.
I agree with GuyB
If info is slow coming, it's not usually good, so it's best for everyone to sit back, pray and/or have positive vibes and hope for a positive outcome.
kongols
3/15/2010 1:32pm
It doesn`t matter what your kid does.You won`t be able to protect him when the time comes. I had a dauther ,she was three and a half.
Ozy
3/15/2010 1:33pm
Thank you to everybody who replied and thanks for keeping this civil. I know this is a very touchy subject.

I have some general thoughts I would like to discuss in response to some of the replies in this thread but that can wait for another day and another thread.

Guyb, if you think its best please lock or delete this thread

thanks
hairy
3/15/2010 1:53pm
Ozy wrote:
Thank you to everybody who replied and thanks for keeping this civil. I know this is a very touchy subject. I have some general thoughts I...
Thank you to everybody who replied and thanks for keeping this civil. I know this is a very touchy subject.

I have some general thoughts I would like to discuss in response to some of the replies in this thread but that can wait for another day and another thread.

Guyb, if you think its best please lock or delete this thread

thanks
Well said, Ozy, let's see everybody putting positive energy into a single thread here on vital at

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/MotoRelated,20/Jess-Masterpoole-airlifted…

and supporting the entire Masterpool family at this time by leaving positive vibes in the "Guest Book" on

http://www.jessemasterpool.com/

Keep fighting, Jesse !

Post a reply to: Injured rider at Whitney?

The Latest