Info on hip replacement

Edited Date/Time 6/14/2013 8:53pm
Ya know that old saying- "I'll ride as long as I can swing my leg over a bike?"
I can't anymore. The doc says full replacement is best. Also recomending future fusion of lumbar disc. My skeleton is not cooperating with my racing goals
who has experience with moto on a bionic hip? I really don't wanna quit.
|
peelout719
8/6/2010 2:19pm
get hold of dennis jonon.

i can't remember what his user name here is, GuyB could help you, but he would be a good source of info.
Holigan
8/6/2010 2:26pm
Eric Kehoe had his done and loves it. I bet he will talk with you about it if you ask at the races.
Torco1
8/6/2010 2:27pm
I'm 34 and had one when I was 27, it was a full on total hip replacement too. I thought my riding days were over but after a few years of not riding I decided to try it out. I started out slow, but over the last 3 years or so I've been riding 1-3 times a week..... track only. I'm probably at vet intermediate level, so I'm not putting around by any means. I'm able to jump all types of jumps without any problems. I've crased bad more than a few times with the hip replacement......once resulting in a broken back, ribs, collapsed lungs, internal injuries, etc.....the hip replacement was totally fine. I just went and had a check up with x-rays on it a couple of weeks ago and the doctor said it looks as good as it did the day of surgery.....no wear or any kind of damage. I say go for it.

The Shop

Highsider
8/6/2010 2:33pm
peelout719 wrote:
get hold of dennis jonon. i can't remember what his user name here is, GuyB could help you, but he would be a good source of...

i can't remember what his user name here is, GuyB could help you, but he would be a good source of info.
That username would be:
dennisjonon

Cool
8/6/2010 2:38pm
Torco- wow, that's music to my ears. Way to hang in there. A new hip will probably be better than the vestige of a hip I have right now. I did 11 races this year but I've developed a serious limp. Constant pain- can't even sleep very well. Waah- the doc just shakes his head when I talk about racing. But he said "Well, Bo Jackson did it"
Bo don't moto.
Torco1
8/6/2010 2:45pm
Torco- wow, that's music to my ears. Way to hang in there. A new hip will probably be better than the vestige of a hip I...
Torco- wow, that's music to my ears. Way to hang in there. A new hip will probably be better than the vestige of a hip I have right now. I did 11 races this year but I've developed a serious limp. Constant pain- can't even sleep very well. Waah- the doc just shakes his head when I talk about racing. But he said "Well, Bo Jackson did it"
Bo don't moto.
Trust me, I know the pain. They told me to hang on as long as I could, but it got so bad I couldnt do anything.....it sucked. With the technology they have now, they are saying you should get 20 years to life out of them, even with sports. I would just demand getting a metal on metal replacement. Those werent FDA approved yet here in the US when I got mine so I have a crosslinked poly on metal one, but its held up good. The only thing the ortho doc told me I shouldnt do is run, he said that puts a lot of stress on them. He was totally fine with me doing moto. Good luck with it, I'm positive you'll be happy having one done.
peelout719
8/6/2010 3:14pm
peelout719 wrote:
get hold of dennis jonon. i can't remember what his user name here is, GuyB could help you, but he would be a good source of...

Highsider wrote:
That username would be:
dennisjonon

Cool
i think he's been clicked for some time, i know he was posting here under a different name just recently.

i'm friends with him on facepage so i'll twatter his mybook and see what the dealio is Wink
drmarkr
8/6/2010 3:20pm
Torco- wow, that's music to my ears. Way to hang in there. A new hip will probably be better than the vestige of a hip I...
Bo don't moto.
Yes, it's time. And yes, you can ride, but the doc's won't like it. Not many will have a clue what riding moto means though.

Good luck with it.
Highsider
8/6/2010 3:23pm
peelout719 wrote:
i think he's been clicked for some time, i know he was posting here under a different name just recently. i'm friends with him on facepage...
i think he's been clicked for some time, i know he was posting here under a different name just recently.

i'm friends with him on facepage so i'll twatter his mybook and see what the dealio is Wink
Had no idea he had been "Lenny'ed"...bummer!
Torco1
8/6/2010 3:27pm
drmarkr wrote:
Yes, it's time. And yes, you can ride, but the doc's won't like it. Not many will have a clue what riding moto means though. Good...
Yes, it's time. And yes, you can ride, but the doc's won't like it. Not many will have a clue what riding moto means though.

Good luck with it.
I know all about the dangers of loosening and stuff as time goes by, but how catastrophic would it actually be to break a femur or something like that after a THR?
Highsider
8/6/2010 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2010 3:34pm
drmarkr wrote:
Yes, it's time. And yes, you can ride, but the doc's won't like it. Not many will have a clue what riding moto means though. Good...

Good luck with it.
Torco1 wrote:
I know all about the dangers of loosening and stuff as time goes by, but how catastrophic would it actually be to break a femur or...
I know all about the dangers of loosening and stuff as time goes by, but how catastrophic would it actually be to break a femur or something like that after a THR?
Sounds like you have been 'testing' the limits, eh?
CamP
8/6/2010 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2010 3:38pm
Torco1 wrote:
I know all about the dangers of loosening and stuff as time goes by, but how catastrophic would it actually be to break a femur or...
Don Bisceglia exploded his femur around the implant and almost lost his leg after a big crash. He got lucky and they were able to put him back together and he's riding again. He even won both vet pro classes at Ponca.
drmarkr
8/6/2010 3:40pm
drmarkr wrote:

Good luck with it.
Torco1 wrote:
If you splintered the femoral prosthesis out it would be bad. Probably not as bad as the beating the ortho guy would give you for doing it, but still bad! Har!

Riding is clearly going to increase your risk of doing something like this in a crash. But there really isn't anything about moto otherwise (stress wise) that would preclude you from riding.
500guy
8/6/2010 3:44pm
Ya know that old saying- "I'll ride as long as I can swing my leg over a bike?" I can't anymore. The doc says full replacement...
Ya know that old saying- "I'll ride as long as I can swing my leg over a bike?"
I can't anymore. The doc says full replacement is best. Also recomending future fusion of lumbar disc. My skeleton is not cooperating with my racing goals
who has experience with moto on a bionic hip? I really don't wanna quit.
I was going to bust your balls but I won't

Good luck on this and what ever you do take it easy and heal up 100%

Torco1
8/6/2010 3:51pm
drmarkr wrote:

Good luck with it.
Torco1 wrote:
drmarkr wrote:
If you splintered the femoral prosthesis out it would be bad. Probably not as bad as the beating the ortho guy would give you for doing...
If you splintered the femoral prosthesis out it would be bad. Probably not as bad as the beating the ortho guy would give you for doing it, but still bad! Har!

Riding is clearly going to increase your risk of doing something like this in a crash. But there really isn't anything about moto otherwise (stress wise) that would preclude you from riding.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I know its a pretty risky deal.....but I couldnt handle not riding anymore and figured I would take the chance. Its funny (well, not really) but my hip is always on my mind when I'm riding and I've almost learned in a way how to crash to avoid something happening to my hip. But doing that almost killed me, I was in the air once and knew I was going to crash, I thought to myself how can I do this without hurting my hip.....well, the next thing I knew I was being flown to the hospital with a broken T7 & T8 and a bunch of life threatening injuries. The hip was still good though.
Rooster
8/6/2010 4:20pm
My riding buddy Sean used to race with two bionic shoulders. Hips are a bigger joint and probably stressed a little less in this sport compared to the beating your shoulders and arms take. Provided you stay on the bike of course.

He never had any issues with pain or problems with his shoulders of any sort.

Go for it.
8/6/2010 5:59pm
Shiiiite- some of these posts give me hope and others are scary. I've been living with a fragile hip for five seasons now. I think aftermarket is the way to go.
thanks 500guy.
8/6/2010 6:13pm
I got my total hip replacement 3 years ago and stopped racing Pro last year. The best thing you can do is listen to the doc and get the hip replacement.
Highsider
8/6/2010 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2010 7:13pm
I got my total hip replacement 3 years ago and stopped racing Pro last year. The best thing you can do is listen to the doc...
I got my total hip replacement 3 years ago and stopped racing Pro last year. The best thing you can do is listen to the doc and get the hip replacement.
So, racing a bit of local motocross after a "hip job" isn't out of the question, eh?

In your unique case, are your lower extremities all working pretty well?
8/9/2010 6:01am
My hip works absolutely great after the total hip replacement, and as far as pain goes there is none. The only trouble I am having now and working on it is my back. Because one side compensated for so long, my left said is weak and not able to hang with the rest of my body now.
Highsider
8/9/2010 6:17am
My hip works absolutely great after the total hip replacement, and as far as pain goes there is none. The only trouble I am having now...
My hip works absolutely great after the total hip replacement, and as far as pain goes there is none. The only trouble I am having now and working on it is my back. Because one side compensated for so long, my left said is weak and not able to hang with the rest of my body now.
Yours was a completely unique situation, for sure.
dehner47
8/9/2010 9:33am
ive been riding on hips that have been in need of replacing since i was 19 years old. im now 30. Dr. wants to hold off as long as i can deal with the pain. which the pain has been BAD. especiaaly as of late. he felt was way to young and way to active to replace them then. now its to the point just like the rest of you guys, can sleep, hurts to walk, feels like there about to explode outta my legs just sitting here in my office. im new to this forum and it is really cool to see other guys in the same situation as i am and it gives us "gimps" hope and motivation to know there are others feeling the same ways i feel and our doing what i love to do aslo. so keep it up "gimps", lets race one for all us 'crazy legs" out there..

oh, my Dr/orthro has a nephew who is a pro quad racer. its also what i did when i ruined mine. thats how i got hooked up with my doc when i broke my legs, both hips and shattered both my pelvic bones. so he is and has been super cool with me still racing and riding. its just so much easier having your DR have knowledge of all things moto and what it takes to race/ride and how it will and will not affect the body. just a nice piece of mine..

8/9/2010 10:17am
dehner47 wrote:
ive been riding on hips that have been in need of replacing since i was 19 years old. im now 30. Dr. wants to hold off...
ive been riding on hips that have been in need of replacing since i was 19 years old. im now 30. Dr. wants to hold off as long as i can deal with the pain. which the pain has been BAD. especiaaly as of late. he felt was way to young and way to active to replace them then. now its to the point just like the rest of you guys, can sleep, hurts to walk, feels like there about to explode outta my legs just sitting here in my office. im new to this forum and it is really cool to see other guys in the same situation as i am and it gives us "gimps" hope and motivation to know there are others feeling the same ways i feel and our doing what i love to do aslo. so keep it up "gimps", lets race one for all us 'crazy legs" out there..

oh, my Dr/orthro has a nephew who is a pro quad racer. its also what i did when i ruined mine. thats how i got hooked up with my doc when i broke my legs, both hips and shattered both my pelvic bones. so he is and has been super cool with me still racing and riding. its just so much easier having your DR have knowledge of all things moto and what it takes to race/ride and how it will and will not affect the body. just a nice piece of mine..

I feel your pain...the hip is a tough area because there is always pressure on it- sitting, standing, or walking. As long as you're not doing one of those three things, it doesn't hurt. Tongue

Good luck. The hip replacement is a big deal and very drastic, that's why it's an intimidating prospect.
LoudLove
8/9/2010 2:17pm
You might want to listen to that little voice in the back of your head. If after replacement surgery that voice says "don't ride", then don't ride. It won't be worth it if you end up with a shattered pelvis.

Especially if you're the principle income source for your family. It took a shattered humerus to finally drill into my skull that when I hit the turf, my wife & kids suffer as well. I have not lead the perfect life, but if I had one do-over, I'd take back trying to clear that uphill double. All the while that little voice was whispering "don't do it"...

But it could have been worse. Much worse.
rob dols
6/28/2011 4:37pm
Can anyone recommend a great orhtopedic around Washington D.C. for a hip replacement surgery I need?
machine
6/28/2011 4:45pm
Damn, I thought I had ailments, I guess I should be thankful, good luck guys.
rohleder644
6/28/2011 4:54pm
If jonon is any example, you're best bet is to pick up woods racing and get retarded fast at that

Post a reply to: Info on hip replacement

The Latest