Industry Internships

sticecube
Whats up guys, long time lurker on vital with a few posts here or there.

Im currently attending school at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln studying business and marketing and I'm wondering if any of you guys who have the "in" in the industry know of any companies that take summer interns? Just using this as a starting point so I don't spam my resume to companies for no reason.
|
11/21/2017 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2017 6:28pm
Young Vitalbro, this is not how you get an internship.

Research the companies you think you might want to work for and then contact them directly. Research who runs the sales or marketing departments at XYZ company and contact those people directly. Don't email them. Call them or mail a well-worded cover letter addressed to them explaining how awesome you are, how passionate you are about marketing and motorcycles and how much you would gain from an internship at their company. Wait about a week or two and then call them as a friendly follow-up to see if they got your letter. You will impress them.

If you want to succeed in life, your first starting point should not be posting messages on Vital asking for help. No one succeeds in life doing that.
sticecube
11/21/2017 7:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2017 7:03pm
Young Vitalbro, this is not how you get an internship. Research the companies you think you might want to work for and then contact them directly...

Research the companies you think you might want to work for and then contact them directly. Research who runs the sales or marketing departments at XYZ company and contact those people directly. Don't email them. Call them or mail a well-worded cover letter addressed to them explaining how awesome you are, how passionate you are about marketing and motorcycles and how much you would gain from an internship at their company. Wait about a week or two and then call them as a friendly follow-up to see if they got your letter. You will impress them.

If you want to succeed in life, your first starting point should not be posting messages on Vital asking for help. No one succeeds in life doing that.
I appreciate you're input, and will definitely take the advice you've given but I'm not posting on here because I'm expecting a hand out from anyone. I'm simply asking for some input from the Older Vital members who would know which companies accept interns. I have already sent emails to about 15 first choice companies about if they do internships and I am patiently waiting for a response. It never hurts to utilize the resources around you, Vital being one of them because of the members who might work for moto companies.
mingham97
11/21/2017 7:37pm
Young Vitalbro, this is not how you get an internship. Research the companies you think you might want to work for and then contact them directly...

sticecube wrote:
I appreciate you're input, and will definitely take the advice you've given but I'm not posting on here because I'm expecting a hand out from anyone...
I appreciate you're input, and will definitely take the advice you've given but I'm not posting on here because I'm expecting a hand out from anyone. I'm simply asking for some input from the Older Vital members who would know which companies accept interns. I have already sent emails to about 15 first choice companies about if they do internships and I am patiently waiting for a response. It never hurts to utilize the resources around you, Vital being one of them because of the members who might work for moto companies.
I remember doing a similar thread a year ago and got ripped to shreds about asking for a handout when I asked a very similar question to yours, except it was regarding research and development as I'm an engineering major.

But if I were you, and you wanted to get into the industry, work at a motorcycle dealership, and use that as the first rung for sales experience, next thing you know, the state manager for a distributer will have you in the back room asking if you're interested in working for them as a sales rep, marketing guy etc.

I work at a dealership now, and I've had countless opportunities arise for me to work in marketing and sales side of things with the distributers. I hate to say it, but getting into the industry, without going to a dealership first, is a hard thing to do. I also imagine your job would be easiest if you were based out of CA.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/21/2017 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2017 8:22pm
Motosport posted something on Facebook today about checking out their opportunities. Check them out they had a few positions open. Not internships though.
And LinkedIn is a must for any professional position search or networking.
Remember the key to networking is not to ask for a job, ask for lessons and advice, building relationship and connections lead to jobs.

The Shop

sticecube
11/22/2017 6:34am
Motosport posted something on Facebook today about checking out their opportunities. Check them out they had a few positions open. Not internships though. And LinkedIn is...
Motosport posted something on Facebook today about checking out their opportunities. Check them out they had a few positions open. Not internships though.
And LinkedIn is a must for any professional position search or networking.
Remember the key to networking is not to ask for a job, ask for lessons and advice, building relationship and connections lead to jobs.
I'll check into it and send them an email. Thanks for the reply!
sticecube
11/22/2017 6:38am

sticecube wrote:
I appreciate you're input, and will definitely take the advice you've given but I'm not posting on here because I'm expecting a hand out from anyone...
mingham97 wrote:
I remember doing a similar thread a year ago and got ripped to shreds about asking for a handout when I asked a very similar question...
I remember doing a similar thread a year ago and got ripped to shreds about asking for a handout when I asked a very similar question to yours, except it was regarding research and development as I'm an engineering major.

But if I were you, and you wanted to get into the industry, work at a motorcycle dealership, and use that as the first rung for sales experience, next thing you know, the state manager for a distributer will have you in the back room asking if you're interested in working for them as a sales rep, marketing guy etc.

I work at a dealership now, and I've had countless opportunities arise for me to work in marketing and sales side of things with the distributers. I hate to say it, but getting into the industry, without going to a dealership first, is a hard thing to do. I also imagine your job would be easiest if you were based out of CA.
Vital is a cruel place sometimes when people think that you're asking for a handout. I've definitely thought about applying to some dealerships. I have a few that are here locally but I don't think they're big enough to really need to take on an intern but it doesn't hurt to look into. Around January I hope to purchase a new bike, so when I go in I'll be sure to ask a lot of questions about work possibilities. I also have family based out of Southern CA so relocation wouldn't be a big issue for me. Thanks for the reply!
kkawboy14
11/22/2017 6:39am
I’m thinking your choices are limited in Nebraska! I would try to get on with TroyLeeDesigns personally. Paint, design, race team. Seems like a big variety of experience in one building
akillerwombat
11/22/2017 6:44am
Find a company(s) you'd be stoked to work for and contact them asking about opportunities while being ready to explain what you can bring to the table.

If your passion is genuine eventually someone will give you a shot.
sticecube
11/22/2017 6:48am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I’m thinking your choices are limited in Nebraska! I would try to get on with TroyLeeDesigns personally. Paint, design, race team. Seems like a big variety...
I’m thinking your choices are limited in Nebraska! I would try to get on with TroyLeeDesigns personally. Paint, design, race team. Seems like a big variety of experience in one building
I'm definitely aware that choices are limited in Nebraska! lol. I didn't think about TLD, I'll shoot them an email tonight after work and traveling back home for the holidays! Thanks for the Reply
sticecube
11/22/2017 6:52am
Find a company(s) you'd be stoked to work for and contact them asking about opportunities while being ready to explain what you can bring to the...
Find a company(s) you'd be stoked to work for and contact them asking about opportunities while being ready to explain what you can bring to the table.

If your passion is genuine eventually someone will give you a shot.
Oh I definitely agree, I've sent emails to a few (about 15) first choice companies about if they take interns before I send me resume which would have the info of what I bring to the table, GPA, etc. I've had a few respond to me already, Alta (probably the biggest one I applied too) said they currently aren't ready for an intern but will get back to me if they have an opportunity to take one on. I have 5? months to figure something out before I have to commit to staying at my current job for the summer so I have some time to get something rolling. Thanks for the reply!
mingham97
11/22/2017 7:08am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 7:09am
sticecube wrote:
Vital is a cruel place sometimes when people think that you're asking for a handout. I've definitely thought about applying to some dealerships. I have a...
Vital is a cruel place sometimes when people think that you're asking for a handout. I've definitely thought about applying to some dealerships. I have a few that are here locally but I don't think they're big enough to really need to take on an intern but it doesn't hurt to look into. Around January I hope to purchase a new bike, so when I go in I'll be sure to ask a lot of questions about work possibilities. I also have family based out of Southern CA so relocation wouldn't be a big issue for me. Thanks for the reply!
Vital can be a horrible place. I used to live and breath this forum but not so much now. It's a dog eat dog forum where people treat each other harder then they would in real life. I don't really come on here much apart from getting results or the odd read worthy topic

But I wouldn't even put it as an internship, I would go in there just as a casual/part time worker and ask to run their socials, and websites, on top of any bike shop duties (sales, entering invoices etc.) They normally pay outside contractors huge money to do their website stuff. Do a few sales campaigns a year, keep everything active and up to date.

If it helps, my partner just landed herself a graduate position for a building company, her first job? Make their FB, insta, Pinterest, websites etc. all very active and practical. Start with the small stuff and put it on your resume till you land what you're after. In all honesty, after working in the industry, you may find it's not where you want to work at all.

Send me an e-mail on mathew.ingham@outlook.com, I have something you might wanna look at.

Post a reply to: Industry Internships

The Latest