Indoor stationary bikes

agn5009
Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 9:00am
Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but I think they’re essentially the same. One thing I hate is the “subscription” fee. I’m more than willing to spend $2k+ on a bike but for some reason it makes me squirm thinking about a monthly subscription fee Dry

Anyways, anyone have insight between the three or any other brands?
|
kb228
12/12/2018 6:03am
I bought one off walmarts website for $70. The handles move like one of those fan bikes. Have been using it for 4 years. Certainly does the job. Never have been able to convince myself to spend 2k on a stationary bike. The peloton does look cool tho.
agn5009
12/12/2018 6:05am
kb228 wrote:
I bought one off walmarts website for $70. The handles move like one of those fan bikes. Have been using it for 4 years. Certainly does...
I bought one off walmarts website for $70. The handles move like one of those fan bikes. Have been using it for 4 years. Certainly does the job. Never have been able to convince myself to spend 2k on a stationary bike. The peloton does look cool tho.
Yeah. My wife likes the peloton. I like the ProForm mainly because of the Tour de France courses. But the Nordictrack comes with a free 1 year interactive subscription. Peloton and ProForm charge somewhere around $40 per month for subscriptions Angry
CHaynes
12/12/2018 6:08am
I have owned several brands of spin bikes, but by far the best I have ever used is made by a company called Stages. They are super pricy ($3500), but are amazing! They have them at my gym so it’s included in the membership. If you already have a road bicycle, I would recommend buying a smart trainer. There are several companies that offer them but Wahoo seems to have stepped up the game with their new climber set up. Get a Zwift subscription and ride the winter away! With all that being said, at the end of the day, a spin bike is a spin bike. If you don’t need bells and whistles, then jump on Craigslist and shop away. Use a HRM and have fun with it!

The Shop

Tim507
12/12/2018 6:10am
I bought a L Armstrong Spin Bike online a few years ago (closeout) for cheap. Well built.....
12/12/2018 6:27am
Peloton bikes are sweet, I’m pretty sure you don’t need to purchase the subscription if you don’t want to do classes
12/12/2018 6:28am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2018 6:33am
If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you and get a smart trainer for 800-1000. Get a subscription to zwift in He winter. And ride outside in the summer.

That peloton is insane expensive. And you’re limited to your house. Before you know it you’ll be hanging clothes off it. Or dusting it off in the corner of a room. But for $40 a month sub? Jeeeez. And for how long ? What happens when the fad dies off in a year and they shut the servers down? Then what ?
agn5009
12/12/2018 6:50am
If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you...
If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you and get a smart trainer for 800-1000. Get a subscription to zwift in He winter. And ride outside in the summer.

That peloton is insane expensive. And you’re limited to your house. Before you know it you’ll be hanging clothes off it. Or dusting it off in the corner of a room. But for $40 a month sub? Jeeeez. And for how long ? What happens when the fad dies off in a year and they shut the servers down? Then what ?
Very good points.... I like the idea of the wahoo smart trainer.
Monk
12/12/2018 6:51am
Tim507 wrote:
I bought a L Armstrong Spin Bike online a few years ago (closeout) for cheap. Well built.....
Comes complete with PEDs... ?... Jk
Monk
12/12/2018 6:53am
Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?
agn5009
12/12/2018 7:04am
Monk wrote:
Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue...
Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?
I thought about that too. They just take up a ton of room. I don’t have the space for it.
Monk
12/12/2018 7:09am
Monk wrote:
Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue...
agn5009 wrote:
I thought about that too. They just take up a ton of room. I don’t have the space for it.
Another option being a Assault Bike. Personally I would rather pickup dog crap with my teeth than ride them as I find nothing enjoyable about them. But they do give you one hell of a workout when you buckle down...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/12/2018 7:12am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2018 7:13am
I’ve had a Scwhinn Airdyne for 20 years and it is a terrific upper lower workout. Never achieved Teggers’ “20 minutes at level six for victory,” but it’s kept me second ticker beating well.
JasonJLF
12/12/2018 7:20am
I've got a Wahoo Kickr with a cheap road bike bolted to it and it's great. You HAVE to get signed up to Zwift though; I can't last 10 minutes on a normal trainer without getting bored, but on Zwift there are all kinds of training programs, and best of all you can enter races and compete against people. You'll pass an hour without noticing and actually look forward to getting on it.
It's perfect for Moto people; get fit while racing!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
12/12/2018 7:29am
Monk wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
The C2 very easily splits in half and then takes up very little space. I store mine against the wall of my office, and use it every day. It replaced a recumbent stationary bike as the bike wasn't helping with arm pump.
BIGRIGGIN
12/12/2018 7:33am
Rogue makes a solid ass kicking stationary bike similar to schwinn aerodyne just better built and cheaper.
KTMsc
12/12/2018 7:39am
I just bought a Sole.
Very nice and super quiet.
Price was 1200
JohnnyT_983
12/12/2018 8:10am
I use the spinning co. bike like the base base cheap one and I have had it for 6 years now and I have replaced a set of pedals
cheap shipping and we used their higher end models in our spin classes at the gym I worked at so that is what got me on them.

https://spinning.com/L3-spin-bike-bundle/
agn5009
12/12/2018 8:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Best cardio workout you'll ever have. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/12/309297/s1200_PRO231_INT_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/12/309298/s1200_2017_03_02_07_46_24_14_sf_pro232_int_w_vnd.jpg[/img]
Best cardio workout you'll ever have.

For $4500 it better be! Jeez lol
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/12/2018 8:33am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Best cardio workout you'll ever have. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/12/309297/s1200_PRO231_INT_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/12/309298/s1200_2017_03_02_07_46_24_14_sf_pro232_int_w_vnd.jpg[/img]
Best cardio workout you'll ever have.

agn5009 wrote:
For $4500 it better be! Jeez lol
LOL. Yeah they're on the expensive side of things. I do have one but since I'm paralyzed that's about all I can do for cardio. Helps the joints keep moving.

That said my brother used it a lot a few years ago and when I asked him why he didn't do his cardio at the gym he said that it's because nothing compares to it.

There's a lot of different settings. Anything from steady going, steady continuous climbing, HIIT, hills, custom programs, etc. Easy resistance to as difficult as you want it to be (hard time turning it). Pretty endless.

If you ever see one in a gym, give it a try. Some are just upper body and other's are total body like the one I posted.
ti473
12/12/2018 9:17am
If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you...

This ^

Don't get a spin bike. Spin bikes are...ummm spin bikes...
The wahoo kickr is awesome. I also have the climb and although it adds another dimension to indoor cycling, it's definitely not a game changer like a smart trainer. Zwift recommended also. Yes it's subscription based, but it's only 15 bucks a month and you can cancel/reinstate anytime.
MOTO120
12/12/2018 9:23am
As mentioned earlier....by FAR your best bet would be 1) buying a road bike if you don't have one already (likely you already have one), 2) buying a Wahoo Kickr and 3) signing up for Zwift....and then have fun!
12/12/2018 9:28am
MOTO120 wrote:
As mentioned earlier....by FAR your best bet would be 1) buying a road bike if you don't have one already (likely you already have one), 2)...
As mentioned earlier....by FAR your best bet would be 1) buying a road bike if you don't have one already (likely you already have one), 2) buying a Wahoo Kickr and 3) signing up for Zwift....and then have fun!
Best set up there is! Buy a ~$1500 road bike, you can buy a wahoo kickr direct drive for ~$600 used or a wahoo kickr snap ~$300 used and zwift is a $15 monthly subscription which you can cancel when winte is over. Then you can take your new road bike off the trainer and enjoy the outdoors!
Kenny Lingus
12/12/2018 9:39am
So, mx bikes are so expensive it's killing the sport (supposedly) but yet people will buy a stationary bike with a TV strapped to the front for a few thousand.
agn5009
12/12/2018 9:48am
So, mx bikes are so expensive it's killing the sport (supposedly) but yet people will buy a stationary bike with a TV strapped to the front...
So, mx bikes are so expensive it's killing the sport (supposedly) but yet people will buy a stationary bike with a TV strapped to the front for a few thousand.
Believe it or not, some people have more money than others. Why do you feel the need to come in and ruin a thread with a lot of great information?
neysbo
12/12/2018 9:52am
agn5009 wrote:
Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but...
Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but I think they’re essentially the same. One thing I hate is the “subscription” fee. I’m more than willing to spend $2k+ on a bike but for some reason it makes me squirm thinking about a monthly subscription fee Dry

Are there any spinning studios close to you, I would check one of them out if there are. You can go month to month usually with them and for me it provides a much better atmosphere than my boring house. I work out of my home so it gives me an escape. Also I feel I get a much better workout in the class atmosphere as it is pretty competitive.

Than when the weather is nice I pretty much road bike.

Add in some rowing 3 times a week as well and you will be set.

agn5009
12/12/2018 10:07am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2018 10:08am
agn5009 wrote:
Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but...

neysbo wrote:
Are there any spinning studios close to you, I would check one of them out if there are. You can go month to month usually with...
Are there any spinning studios close to you, I would check one of them out if there are. You can go month to month usually with them and for me it provides a much better atmosphere than my boring house. I work out of my home so it gives me an escape. Also I feel I get a much better workout in the class atmosphere as it is pretty competitive.

Than when the weather is nice I pretty much road bike.

Add in some rowing 3 times a week as well and you will be set.

I’m sure there are some spinning classes. I work for a police department and we have our own gym I go to a few days a week. However with two very young kids and a wife who works long hours as well it gets difficult getting away from the house. I am more so looking for something quiet and easily accessible that I can hop on the two or three days a week I may not be able to make it into the gym. I am also training for some extreme enduros this coming year so I’ve got to stay on top of my fitness no matter how hard it is with our work schedules and kid schedules.
Beeby
12/12/2018 10:09am
I'll also put my vote to the indoor trainer and a road bike over something like Peloton.

If you don't want to spend $1k on a smart trainer, their are 'dumb' trainers that do the job. Something like a cyclops fluid 2 hooked up to a cycle computer does the job for less money. Zwift knows how fast you are pedaling and can calculate watts from that. Its not as accurate as a smart trainer, but you won't go without a workout!
Orange224
12/12/2018 10:11am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2018 10:26am
LumpDog841 wrote:
I use this, cheap and gets the job done. I have a mount on the front for my tablet, and usually watch old nationals or GPs...
I use this, cheap and gets the job done. I have a mount on the front for my tablet, and usually watch old nationals or GPs while cycling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVU2HG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpa…
I use the same exact stationary bike almost every day along while mounting my iPad and watching the Peloton classes via their app at no charge (iPad) / using free Wahoo Fitness app (iPhone).

Here is a pic of my setup in the basement:

Post a reply to: Indoor stationary bikes

The Latest