Indoor stationary bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/12/2018 5:53 AM

Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but I think they’re essentially the same. One thing I hate is the “subscription” fee. I’m more than willing to spend $2k+ on a bike but for some reason it makes me squirm thinking about a monthly subscription fee ermm

Anyways, anyone have insight between the three or any other brands?

|

12/12/2018 6:00 AM

I use this, cheap and gets the job done. I have a mount on the front for my tablet, and usually watch old nationals or GPs while cycling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVU2HG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

|

12/12/2018 6:03 AM

I bought one off walmarts website for $70. The handles move like one of those fan bikes. Have been using it for 4 years. Certainly does the job. Never have been able to convince myself to spend 2k on a stationary bike. The peloton does look cool tho.

|

12/12/2018 6:05 AM

kb228 wrote:

I bought one off walmarts website for $70. The handles move like one of those fan bikes. Have been using it for 4 years. Certainly does the job. Never have been able to convince myself to spend 2k on a stationary bike. The peloton does look cool tho.

Yeah. My wife likes the peloton. I like the ProForm mainly because of the Tour de France courses. But the Nordictrack comes with a free 1 year interactive subscription. Peloton and ProForm charge somewhere around $40 per month for subscriptions angry

|

12/12/2018 6:08 AM

I have owned several brands of spin bikes, but by far the best I have ever used is made by a company called Stages. They are super pricy ($3500), but are amazing! They have them at my gym so it’s included in the membership. If you already have a road bicycle, I would recommend buying a smart trainer. There are several companies that offer them but Wahoo seems to have stepped up the game with their new climber set up. Get a Zwift subscription and ride the winter away! With all that being said, at the end of the day, a spin bike is a spin bike. If you don’t need bells and whistles, then jump on Craigslist and shop away. Use a HRM and have fun with it!

|

12/12/2018 6:10 AM

I bought a L Armstrong Spin Bike online a few years ago (closeout) for cheap. Well built.....

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

12/12/2018 6:27 AM

Peloton bikes are sweet, I’m pretty sure you don’t need to purchase the subscription if you don’t want to do classes

|

12/12/2018 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2018 6:33 AM

If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you and get a smart trainer for 800-1000. Get a subscription to zwift in He winter. And ride outside in the summer.

That peloton is insane expensive. And you’re limited to your house. Before you know it you’ll be hanging clothes off it. Or dusting it off in the corner of a room. But for $40 a month sub? Jeeeez. And for how long ? What happens when the fad dies off in a year and they shut the servers down? Then what ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/12/2018 6:50 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you and get a smart trainer for 800-1000. Get a subscription to zwift in He winter. And ride outside in the summer.

That peloton is insane expensive. And you’re limited to your house. Before you know it you’ll be hanging clothes off it. Or dusting it off in the corner of a room. But for $40 a month sub? Jeeeez. And for how long ? What happens when the fad dies off in a year and they shut the servers down? Then what ?

Very good points.... I like the idea of the wahoo smart trainer.

|

12/12/2018 6:51 AM

Tim507 wrote:

I bought a L Armstrong Spin Bike online a few years ago (closeout) for cheap. Well built.....

Comes complete with PEDs... ?... Jk

|

12/12/2018 6:53 AM

Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?

|

12/12/2018 7:04 AM

Monk wrote:

Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?

I thought about that too. They just take up a ton of room. I don’t have the space for it.

|

12/12/2018 7:09 AM

Monk wrote:

Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?

agn5009 wrote:

I thought about that too. They just take up a ton of room. I don’t have the space for it.

Another option being a Assault Bike. Personally I would rather pickup dog crap with my teeth than ride them as I find nothing enjoyable about them. But they do give you one hell of a workout when you buckle down...

|

12/12/2018 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2018 7:13 AM

I’ve had a Scwhinn Airdyne for 20 years and it is a terrific upper lower workout. Never achieved Teggers’ “20 minutes at level six for victory,” but it’s kept me second ticker beating well.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

12/12/2018 7:20 AM

I've got a Wahoo Kickr with a cheap road bike bolted to it and it's great. You HAVE to get signed up to Zwift though; I can't last 10 minutes on a normal trainer without getting bored, but on Zwift there are all kinds of training programs, and best of all you can enter races and compete against people. You'll pass an hour without noticing and actually look forward to getting on it.
It's perfect for Moto people; get fit while racing!

|

UK based Helmet Painter, www.jlfdesigns.com

12/12/2018 7:29 AM

Monk wrote:

Any reason to not buy a rower instead? Better overall body workout and Concept 2s can be found fairly cheap with little hours on them... Issue related to space?

agn5009 wrote:

I thought about that too. They just take up a ton of room. I don’t have the space for it.

The C2 very easily splits in half and then takes up very little space. I store mine against the wall of my office, and use it every day. It replaced a recumbent stationary bike as the bike wasn't helping with arm pump.

|

12/12/2018 7:33 AM

Rogue makes a solid ass kicking stationary bike similar to schwinn aerodyne just better built and cheaper.

|

12/12/2018 7:39 AM

I just bought a Sole.
Very nice and super quiet.
Price was 1200

|

12/12/2018 8:10 AM

I use the spinning co. bike like the base base cheap one and I have had it for 6 years now and I have replaced a set of pedals
cheap shipping and we used their higher end models in our spin classes at the gym I worked at so that is what got me on them.

https://spinning.com/L3-spin-bike-bundle/

|

12/12/2018 8:22 AM

Best cardio workout you'll ever have.

Photo
Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/12/2018 8:24 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Best cardio workout you'll ever have.

Photo
Photo

For $4500 it better be! Jeez lol

|

12/12/2018 8:33 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Best cardio workout you'll ever have.

Photo
Photo

agn5009 wrote:

For $4500 it better be! Jeez lol

LOL. Yeah they're on the expensive side of things. I do have one but since I'm paralyzed that's about all I can do for cardio. Helps the joints keep moving.

That said my brother used it a lot a few years ago and when I asked him why he didn't do his cardio at the gym he said that it's because nothing compares to it.

There's a lot of different settings. Anything from steady going, steady continuous climbing, HIIT, hills, custom programs, etc. Easy resistance to as difficult as you want it to be (hard time turning it). Pretty endless.

If you ever see one in a gym, give it a try. Some are just upper body and other's are total body like the one I posted.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/12/2018 9:17 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

If you’re gonna spend 2k on a bike. Spend $1200 on a nice left over model year road bike (like a felt z85) fitted to you and get a smart trainer for 800-1000. Get a subscription to zwift in He winter. And ride outside in the summer.

That peloton is insane expensive. And you’re limited to your house. Before you know it you’ll be hanging clothes off it. Or dusting it off in the corner of a room. But for $40 a month sub? Jeeeez. And for how long ? What happens when the fad dies off in a year and they shut the servers down? Then what ?

This ^

Don't get a spin bike. Spin bikes are...ummm spin bikes...
The wahoo kickr is awesome. I also have the climb and although it adds another dimension to indoor cycling, it's definitely not a game changer like a smart trainer. Zwift recommended also. Yes it's subscription based, but it's only 15 bucks a month and you can cancel/reinstate anytime.

|

12/12/2018 9:23 AM

As mentioned earlier....by FAR your best bet would be 1) buying a road bike if you don't have one already (likely you already have one), 2) buying a Wahoo Kickr and 3) signing up for Zwift....and then have fun!

|


12/12/2018 9:28 AM

MOTO120 wrote:

As mentioned earlier....by FAR your best bet would be 1) buying a road bike if you don't have one already (likely you already have one), 2) buying a Wahoo Kickr and 3) signing up for Zwift....and then have fun!

Best set up there is! Buy a ~$1500 road bike, you can buy a wahoo kickr direct drive for ~$600 used or a wahoo kickr snap ~$300 used and zwift is a $15 monthly subscription which you can cancel when winte is over. Then you can take your new road bike off the trainer and enjoy the outdoors!

|

12/12/2018 9:39 AM

So, mx bikes are so expensive it's killing the sport (supposedly) but yet people will buy a stationary bike with a TV strapped to the front for a few thousand.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

12/12/2018 9:48 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

So, mx bikes are so expensive it's killing the sport (supposedly) but yet people will buy a stationary bike with a TV strapped to the front for a few thousand.

Believe it or not, some people have more money than others. Why do you feel the need to come in and ruin a thread with a lot of great information?

|

12/12/2018 9:52 AM

agn5009 wrote:

Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but I think they’re essentially the same. One thing I hate is the “subscription” fee. I’m more than willing to spend $2k+ on a bike but for some reason it makes me squirm thinking about a monthly subscription fee ermm

Anyways, anyone have insight between the three or any other brands?

Are there any spinning studios close to you, I would check one of them out if there are. You can go month to month usually with them and for me it provides a much better atmosphere than my boring house. I work out of my home so it gives me an escape. Also I feel I get a much better workout in the class atmosphere as it is pretty competitive.

Than when the weather is nice I pretty much road bike.

Add in some rowing 3 times a week as well and you will be set.

|

12/12/2018 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2018 10:08 AM

agn5009 wrote:

Anyone have experience with the indoor stationary bikes? I’m trying to decide between the Nordictrack, ProForm or Peloton. I know they all have different models but I think they’re essentially the same. One thing I hate is the “subscription” fee. I’m more than willing to spend $2k+ on a bike but for some reason it makes me squirm thinking about a monthly subscription fee ermm

Anyways, anyone have insight between the three or any other brands?

neysbo wrote:

Are there any spinning studios close to you, I would check one of them out if there are. You can go month to month usually with them and for me it provides a much better atmosphere than my boring house. I work out of my home so it gives me an escape. Also I feel I get a much better workout in the class atmosphere as it is pretty competitive.

Than when the weather is nice I pretty much road bike.

Add in some rowing 3 times a week as well and you will be set.

I’m sure there are some spinning classes. I work for a police department and we have our own gym I go to a few days a week. However with two very young kids and a wife who works long hours as well it gets difficult getting away from the house. I am more so looking for something quiet and easily accessible that I can hop on the two or three days a week I may not be able to make it into the gym. I am also training for some extreme enduros this coming year so I’ve got to stay on top of my fitness no matter how hard it is with our work schedules and kid schedules.

|

12/12/2018 10:09 AM

I'll also put my vote to the indoor trainer and a road bike over something like Peloton.

If you don't want to spend $1k on a smart trainer, their are 'dumb' trainers that do the job. Something like a cyclops fluid 2 hooked up to a cycle computer does the job for less money. Zwift knows how fast you are pedaling and can calculate watts from that. Its not as accurate as a smart trainer, but you won't go without a workout!

|