Related:
Create New Tag

3/15/2017 1:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/15/2017 1:16 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Here was today's workout. Not to shabby for a 51yo fat guy! Photo

Oh and BTW, resistance was on 10!

olds cool wrote:

Not trying to be a smart ass but was that a 30 min row that you stopped at 5000 meters on? 8076 meters in 30:00 would have ...more

No worries. It was 5000m row. That was the goal. I didn't do a program. I was just rowing.....

|

3/15/2017 2:04 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Found this on YouTube. It's similar to my technique I would think. I average 19spm when I'm going for my times. Drive hard ...more
Hammer 663s wrote:

Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each ...more

yz133rider wrote:

Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with ...more

That's pretty much what I do during the power sets of my Tabata session, but I can only do 7 of those 20sec/10sec splits at maybe 90% of my max. I'll try to do this all the time (at what, 70% of max?) during my 20 min sessions and see how it feels.

|

3/15/2017 2:31 PM

Hammer 663s wrote:

Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each ...more

yz133rider wrote:

Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with ...more

Hammer 663s wrote:

That's pretty much what I do during the power sets of my Tabata session, but I can only do 7 of those 20sec/10sec splits at ...more

Hammer, what do have the resistance set to on the Concept 2? I'm almost always on 10 but I know I can blow up quickly if I dont watch my breathing. YZ is right though, even at the highest resistance, lowering your SPM, you have a short bit of time to take an extra breath or 2. I think thats the only way I survive that resistance!

|

3/15/2017 2:51 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Hammer, what do have the resistance set to on the Concept 2? I'm almost always on 10 but I know I can blow up quickly if I ...more

I always run at resistance 5. I haven't taken time to try different settings - I figure I can control my effort and push hard if I want so why bother.

I usually inhale/exhale once each per pull and rest stroke at 26-29 SPM. Sounds like at 17 you have time to do 2x inhale/exhales during the rest stroke.

I'll try that tomorrow morning when I do a 20 min session and see what happens. Do you start right off at 17 or do you warm up at a faster pace for some time? I usually warm up for a few minutes of the 20 at 30-32 SPM before I settle down to 26 SPM, then spend the next 15 or so minutes there.

|

3/15/2017 3:09 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Here was today's workout. Not to shabby for a 51yo fat guy! Photo

Oh and BTW, resistance was on 10!

olds cool wrote:

Not trying to be a smart ass but was that a 30 min row that you stopped at 5000 meters on? 8076 meters in 30:00 would have ...more

The Fast Guy wrote:

No worries. It was 5000m row. That was the goal. I didn't do a program. I was just rowing.....

Cool. Thanks. I've got a few years on you and that was impressive to me! Good job!

|

3/16/2017 12:32 AM

Hi guys!

Since i´ve gotten a few PM´s about the program I uploaded it to my dropbox to share, you can download the program here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie2pydrzamn3zzl/AAB4MXDyl70FYfEMB4D7O31ta?dl=0

The program is based on 5k training and 3 interval sessions perweek, I usually add a few intervals to get a few more minutes out of the training, a moto is usually a bit longer then a 5k row. To get the most out of the program you´ll need to know your heart rate zones.

Note! Not everyone is suited for 3 interval session per week so listen to your body and maybe throw in a longer easy row every once in a while.

Good luck and go hard!

|

3/16/2017 3:09 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K ...more

i use 5ks as a regular row too , 2-3 times a week but on differnt days and after lifting sessions . 19.59 pb but i`m a shorty so im happy with that 20.10 is usual time . has it helped on the track ? looks like a decent protocol to me if you have progression in your lifting

|

3/16/2017 3:19 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I wanna go for some of those 10K times. Keep it under a 2 minute 500m time.

under 2min /500m splits for 10k is elite

|

3/16/2017 3:44 AM

Bosco wrote:

Back when I rowed in college I pulled a 5k in 17:22 at 22spm, and a 2k in 6:28 at high 20s spm - I don't doubt that Kenny or ...more

crusty_xx wrote:

Wow 22spm at a 5k, that's pretty low. Which damper setting did you use?

My best were 5k 18:20 with 27 spm
and 2k 6:45 with 31 ...more

Bosco wrote:

We always rowed with the damper at 4. It's most representative of water supposedly. TBH I don't think it really matters.

We ...more

Interesting thank you!

|

4/20/2019 11:23 AM

Unearthing this old thread. I picked up a concept 2 for the house and its a game changer. Im doing just 20 minutes a day for now, but doing it every day. Pretty moderate pace like 4-4200 meters in the 20 minutes.

Trying to do a light work out every day except days i ride ill skip the rower. Doing the rower and quick body weight workouts daily. Cancelled the gym. Interested and excited to see the progress.

|

4/20/2019 11:47 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K ...more

gekko wrote:

Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s.

I have a torture interval schedule ...more

Rest in between each set ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

4/20/2019 4:46 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Unearthing this old thread. I picked up a concept 2 for the house and its a game changer. Im doing just 20 minutes a day for ...more

Right on, I got a C2 rower a year ago and it’s a game changer.

|

4/20/2019 5:00 PM

Does anyone service there rowers. The gym I was at did and I’d always go better on the newly serviced machines

|

4/21/2019 5:43 PM

I have a concept2 that I use in my workouts at home and love it.

|