Indoor rower

Hammer 663s
3/15/2017 2:04pm
Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each one. I'm trying to...
Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each one. I'm trying to get my heart rate up and keep it there. I'll try a slower pull rate and longer recovery and see what happens.
yz133rider wrote:
Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with...
Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with that I'm interested to see what your times do and how you feel.
That's pretty much what I do during the power sets of my Tabata session, but I can only do 7 of those 20sec/10sec splits at maybe 90% of my max. I'll try to do this all the time (at what, 70% of max?) during my 20 min sessions and see how it feels.

3/15/2017 2:31pm
Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each one. I'm trying to...
Huh, never tried that. I always maintain a steady pace with about the same pull and recovery stroke times, breathing on each one. I'm trying to get my heart rate up and keep it there. I'll try a slower pull rate and longer recovery and see what happens.
yz133rider wrote:
Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with...
Also focus on driving much harder with each pull. Really using a lot of legs and a full pull. Once you get a good flow with that I'm interested to see what your times do and how you feel.
That's pretty much what I do during the power sets of my Tabata session, but I can only do 7 of those 20sec/10sec splits at maybe...
That's pretty much what I do during the power sets of my Tabata session, but I can only do 7 of those 20sec/10sec splits at maybe 90% of my max. I'll try to do this all the time (at what, 70% of max?) during my 20 min sessions and see how it feels.

Hammer, what do have the resistance set to on the Concept 2? I'm almost always on 10 but I know I can blow up quickly if I dont watch my breathing. YZ is right though, even at the highest resistance, lowering your SPM, you have a short bit of time to take an extra breath or 2. I think thats the only way I survive that resistance!
Hammer 663s
3/15/2017 2:51pm
Hammer, what do have the resistance set to on the Concept 2? I'm almost always on 10 but I know I can blow up quickly if...
Hammer, what do have the resistance set to on the Concept 2? I'm almost always on 10 but I know I can blow up quickly if I dont watch my breathing. YZ is right though, even at the highest resistance, lowering your SPM, you have a short bit of time to take an extra breath or 2. I think thats the only way I survive that resistance!
I always run at resistance 5. I haven't taken time to try different settings - I figure I can control my effort and push hard if I want so why bother.

I usually inhale/exhale once each per pull and rest stroke at 26-29 SPM. Sounds like at 17 you have time to do 2x inhale/exhales during the rest stroke.

I'll try that tomorrow morning when I do a 20 min session and see what happens. Do you start right off at 17 or do you warm up at a faster pace for some time? I usually warm up for a few minutes of the 20 at 30-32 SPM before I settle down to 26 SPM, then spend the next 15 or so minutes there.
olds cool
3/15/2017 3:09pm
Here was today's workout. Not to shabby for a 51yo fat guy! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/14/181296/s1200_IMG_3942.jpg[/img] Oh and BTW, resistance was on 10!
Here was today's workout. Not to shabby for a 51yo fat guy!

Oh and BTW, resistance was on 10!
olds cool wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass but was that a 30 min row that you stopped at 5000 meters on? 8076 meters in 30:00 would...
Not trying to be a smart ass but was that a 30 min row that you stopped at 5000 meters on? 8076 meters in 30:00 would have been crazy! Either way, 5000m in under 19:00 is very impressive!
No worries. It was 5000m row. That was the goal. I didn't do a program. I was just rowing.....
Cool. Thanks. I've got a few years on you and that was impressive to me! Good job!

The Shop

gekko
3/16/2017 12:32am
Hi guys!

Since i´ve gotten a few PM´s about the program I uploaded it to my dropbox to share, you can download the program here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie2pydrzamn3zzl/AAB4MXDyl70FYfEMB4D7O31ta?dl…

The program is based on 5k training and 3 interval sessions perweek, I usually add a few intervals to get a few more minutes out of the training, a moto is usually a bit longer then a 5k row. To get the most out of the program you´ll need to know your heart rate zones.

Note! Not everyone is suited for 3 interval session per week so listen to your body and maybe throw in a longer easy row every once in a while.

Good luck and go hard!

3/16/2017 3:09am
yz133rider wrote:
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips. I have my...
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K time down to the 19s. I started thinking for next season I race two classes so 4X 15 minute motos.

What if I do 4X 4K pulls on the rower. Puts me around 16 minutes per, maybe take 10 mins between catch your breath relax like its race day and then back at it.

I'm doing that with lifting and some treadmill on other days. Any feedback?
i use 5ks as a regular row too , 2-3 times a week but on differnt days and after lifting sessions . 19.59 pb but i`m a shorty so im happy with that 20.10 is usual time . has it helped on the track ? looks like a decent protocol to me if you have progression in your lifting
3/16/2017 3:19am
yz133rider wrote:
I wanna go for some of those 10K times. Keep it under a 2 minute 500m time.
under 2min /500m splits for 10k is elite
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
3/16/2017 3:44am
crusty_xx wrote:
Wow 22spm at a 5k, that's pretty low. Which damper setting did you use? My best were 5k 18:20 with 27 spm and 2k 6:45 with...
Wow 22spm at a 5k, that's pretty low. Which damper setting did you use?

My best were 5k 18:20 with 27 spm
and 2k 6:45 with 31 spm
Damper is always between 5 and 6
Maybe I should go a little slower but pull harder?
Bosco wrote:
We always rowed with the damper at 4. It's most representative of water supposedly. TBH I don't think it really matters. We trained at 18spm, and...
We always rowed with the damper at 4. It's most representative of water supposedly. TBH I don't think it really matters.

We trained at 18spm, and if I can remember correctly, that would yield times in the 17:40 range over a 5k. At 18 or 19 spm your recovery is twice as long as your pull, so you can really go for it on the pull. I'm not a personal trainer, but we always did low spm (around 18 or 19) to build strength over the winter, and then higher (mid twenties) for shorter pieces into the summer.

It depends on what you're working on. I can remember that the limiting factor on times at 18 spm was how strong your legs were, and at mid to high twenties it was how much air you could get in your lungs.
Interesting thank you!
yz133rider
4/20/2019 11:23am
Unearthing this old thread. I picked up a concept 2 for the house and its a game changer. Im doing just 20 minutes a day for now, but doing it every day. Pretty moderate pace like 4-4200 meters in the 20 minutes.

Trying to do a light work out every day except days i ride ill skip the rower. Doing the rower and quick body weight workouts daily. Cancelled the gym. Interested and excited to see the progress.
4/20/2019 11:47am
yz133rider wrote:
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips. I have my...
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K time down to the 19s. I started thinking for next season I race two classes so 4X 15 minute motos.

What if I do 4X 4K pulls on the rower. Puts me around 16 minutes per, maybe take 10 mins between catch your breath relax like its race day and then back at it.

I'm doing that with lifting and some treadmill on other days. Any feedback?
gekko wrote:
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s. I have a torture interval schedule from Greg...
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s.

I have a torture interval schedule from Greg at concept 2 suited for MX riders. If interested, PM me!

Example Week 1
Day 1 : 10x500m, 1min rest
Day 2 : 4x1200m, 4min rest
Day 3: 3x2000m, 3 min rest
Rest in between each set ?
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/20/2019 4:46pm
yz133rider wrote:
Unearthing this old thread. I picked up a concept 2 for the house and its a game changer. Im doing just 20 minutes a day for...
Unearthing this old thread. I picked up a concept 2 for the house and its a game changer. Im doing just 20 minutes a day for now, but doing it every day. Pretty moderate pace like 4-4200 meters in the 20 minutes.

Trying to do a light work out every day except days i ride ill skip the rower. Doing the rower and quick body weight workouts daily. Cancelled the gym. Interested and excited to see the progress.
Right on, I got a C2 rower a year ago and it’s a game changer.
Jrewing
4/20/2019 5:00pm
Does anyone service there rowers. The gym I was at did and I’d always go better on the newly serviced machines
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
4/21/2019 5:43pm
I have a concept2 that I use in my workouts at home and love it.

Post a reply to: Indoor rower

The Latest