Indoor rower

yz133rider
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2019 5:43pm
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K time down to the 19s. I started thinking for next season I race two classes so 4X 15 minute motos.

What if I do 4X 4K pulls on the rower. Puts me around 16 minutes per, maybe take 10 mins between catch your breath relax like its race day and then back at it.

I'm doing that with lifting and some treadmill on other days. Any feedback?
|
Tim507
1/18/2017 7:13pm
Interesting read....... I've been getting up at 4AM and SLOWLY getting back at a workout regimen. Looking at my rower and I have been not liking the idea of a long session. Tabata it is......
51xc
1/18/2017 7:37pm
I'd rather do motos on the scooter and intervals on the rower and your base cardio on the treadmill or bicycle.
gekko
1/18/2017 9:39pm
yz133rider wrote:
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips. I have my...
I've seen a number of top guys using a rower for training in videos and all. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

I have my 5K time down to the 19s. I started thinking for next season I race two classes so 4X 15 minute motos.

What if I do 4X 4K pulls on the rower. Puts me around 16 minutes per, maybe take 10 mins between catch your breath relax like its race day and then back at it.

I'm doing that with lifting and some treadmill on other days. Any feedback?
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s.

I have a torture interval schedule from Greg at concept 2 suited for MX riders. If interested, PM me!

Example Week 1
Day 1 : 10x500m, 1min rest
Day 2 : 4x1200m, 4min rest
Day 3: 3x2000m, 3 min rest

The Shop

yz133rider
1/19/2017 4:11am
gekko wrote:
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s. I have a torture interval schedule from Greg...
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s.

I have a torture interval schedule from Greg at concept 2 suited for MX riders. If interested, PM me!

Example Week 1
Thanks! That's a great 10K time. I think I can get the 5K down to the 18s.send me anything you have, or post it here!

What do you think of the 4 pulls as I described? Or better off following Greg's plans?
chase383
1/19/2017 4:28am
gekko wrote:
Great time on the 5k. Personally I've not maxed on 5k but managed to pull 10k on 38m50s. I have a torture interval schedule from Greg...

Example Week 1
yz133rider wrote:
Thanks! That's a great 10K time. I think I can get the 5K down to the 18s.send me anything you have, or post it here! What...
Thanks! That's a great 10K time. I think I can get the 5K down to the 18s.send me anything you have, or post it here!

What do you think of the 4 pulls as I described? Or better off following Greg's plans?
Do you guys have your own rower? or just use one at the gym?
If you have your own and purchased the RowPro software, let me know if you would be interested in doing some online rows together.
It would be cool if we had a VitalMX group on there!

As for training for MX, like gekko said, I am sure Greg could put a program together for you. Also, i believe the UK Concept2 site had a training program builder on it.
The Row Pro software also has custom tailored programs you can build.
yz133rider
1/19/2017 4:49am
I joined a specific gym just for the rowers. I was super close to buying one but then found this gym locally
Mx Wildcat
1/19/2017 5:06am
Rowing 5k's are good. You can also use heart rate zone training. On days you work on intensity if you have a Concept 2 rower or just time yourself do 10 rounds of 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. If you go hard during the 30 seconds on and don't sandbag, it will put you through the ringer. It helps a lot with how quickly you can recover. Give it a shot and have fun.
Crush
1/19/2017 5:18am
Tabata is the way to do it if you're trying to get back fast... BUT! Remember recovery. You're flogging everything... I burnt myself out pretty good on the rower, took me a while to love it again.
gekko
1/19/2017 6:10am
yz133rider wrote:
Thanks! That's a great 10K time. I think I can get the 5K down to the 18s.send me anything you have, or post it here! What...

Thanks! .. Hit me up at Kenth@knmx.se and I´ll send you two files (HR info and rower routine).

Seems to me like 4 x 4k intervals is a bit long for intervals. It depends on what kind of improvements you are looking for, is it endurance or is it your VO2max because to go anaerobic 4x4k is not an easy task Smile

And as mentioned before, recovery is very important. If i feel low on energy, i usually take a rest day or a easy jog or a nice ride on the bicycle.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
1/19/2017 6:15am
Does anybody have a clue what the SX pros do on a concept 2 rower?
I mean their times for a 2k or 5k?

Kenny or Dungey can probably go sub 18 at a 5k
gekko
1/19/2017 6:18am
chase383 wrote:
Do you guys have your own rower? or just use one at the gym? If you have your own and purchased the RowPro software, let me...
Do you guys have your own rower? or just use one at the gym?
If you have your own and purchased the RowPro software, let me know if you would be interested in doing some online rows together.
It would be cool if we had a VitalMX group on there!

As for training for MX, like gekko said, I am sure Greg could put a program together for you. Also, i believe the UK Concept2 site had a training program builder on it.
The Row Pro software also has custom tailored programs you can build.
I have my own rower, i blew out my knee this summer (ACL + several tibia platue fractures) so i bought myself a C2 rower just to be able to do some kind workout, in the beginning I only used my good leg and the bad leg just sat on the side sliding on the floor .. Grinning

How do I purchase the RowPro software? .. sounds like a good way to get more speed up! Smile
kaptkaos
1/19/2017 6:27am
Guys,

I bought a used C2 Rower, its an older C model I think. It has the old computer. I have been rowing my ass off but I cant get anywhere close to those numbers. I can do 5K in about 27-30 min. I do not stop or rest. I do not think I am going half as fast as the videos I have seen. Now, I am 5-7" so maybe that plays into it, or is my technique that screwed up? To me its really just a number and I really didnt care all that much, all I cared was staying at or beating the previous session but every time I read one of these threads it burns at me. I dont know if my unit is not marking correctly or my technique is that far off, or I just really slow!
Tim507
1/19/2017 6:40am
Crush wrote:
Tabata is the way to do it if you're trying to get back fast... BUT! Remember recovery. You're flogging everything... I burnt myself out pretty good...
Tabata is the way to do it if you're trying to get back fast... BUT! Remember recovery. You're flogging everything... I burnt myself out pretty good on the rower, took me a while to love it again.
I did as short session of Tabata (for the 1st time) this AM. It'll take a few weeks to get the timing and ryhhym correct. At 64 my goals are to be able to ride and race safely and have a real good time for years to come. So being reasonably fit and having reasonable endurance is the goal.

No way am I interested in a 5K anyway near the level some of you younger guys go. I few months ago I researched the record for over 60 and was amazed at what someone who is fkg committed to that goal can row!

gekko
1/19/2017 6:45am
kaptkaos wrote:
Guys, I bought a used C2 Rower, its an older C model I think. It has the old computer. I have been rowing my ass off...
Guys,

I bought a used C2 Rower, its an older C model I think. It has the old computer. I have been rowing my ass off but I cant get anywhere close to those numbers. I can do 5K in about 27-30 min. I do not stop or rest. I do not think I am going half as fast as the videos I have seen. Now, I am 5-7" so maybe that plays into it, or is my technique that screwed up? To me its really just a number and I really didnt care all that much, all I cared was staying at or beating the previous session but every time I read one of these threads it burns at me. I dont know if my unit is not marking correctly or my technique is that far off, or I just really slow!
Can most definitly be your rower that needs a little bit of maintenance but of course, the technique and height is important as well. (I´m 176cm, think thats about your height?)
Have you tried another rower at a local gym or so? That way you can see if there are any difference..

Some links :

Maintenance : http://www.concept2.com.au/service/indoor-rowers/model-d/maintenance
Technique: http://www.concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos
slipdog
1/19/2017 7:01am
Crush wrote:
Tabata is the way to do it if you're trying to get back fast... BUT! Remember recovery. You're flogging everything... I burnt myself out pretty good...
Tim507 wrote:
I did as short session of Tabata (for the 1st time) this AM. It'll take a few weeks to get the timing and ryhhym correct. At...
I did as short session of Tabata (for the 1st time) this AM. It'll take a few weeks to get the timing and ryhhym correct. At 64 my goals are to be able to ride and race safely and have a real good time for years to come. So being reasonably fit and having reasonable endurance is the goal.

No way am I interested in a 5K anyway near the level some of you younger guys go. I few months ago I researched the record for over 60 and was amazed at what someone who is fkg committed to that goal can row!

Yes Tim, you have to work into it. 4 minutes seems easy enough on the surface, but it is one of the most brutal workouts you can do if done correctly. Too many bastardized versions of the real tabata protocol out there, if you can do eight 20/10's at full effort you will have no conditioning issues.
yz133rider
1/19/2017 7:18am
gekko wrote:
Thanks! .. Hit me up at Kenth@knmx.se and I´ll send you two files (HR info and rower routine). Seems to me like 4 x 4k intervals...
Thanks! .. Hit me up at Kenth@knmx.se and I´ll send you two files (HR info and rower routine).

Seems to me like 4 x 4k intervals is a bit long for intervals. It depends on what kind of improvements you are looking for, is it endurance or is it your VO2max because to go anaerobic 4x4k is not an easy task Smile

And as mentioned before, recovery is very important. If i feel low on energy, i usually take a rest day or a easy jog or a nice ride on the bicycle.
Email sent, interesting to read all the responses!

Best thing I've found for improving times is to make every drive count, get as long a pull as you can, all the way forward, all the way back and make it count, pull like hell from your legs all the way through, take a breath or two between, and make every one count.

Being shorter you will have more strokes per minute than someone taller but that's what has helped with me!
Tim507
1/19/2017 7:21am
Crush wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
I did as short session of Tabata (for the 1st time) this AM. It'll take a few weeks to get the timing and ryhhym correct. At...

slipdog wrote:
Yes Tim, you have to work into it. 4 minutes seems easy enough on the surface, but it is one of the most brutal workouts you...
Yes Tim, you have to work into it. 4 minutes seems easy enough on the surface, but it is one of the most brutal workouts you can do if done correctly. Too many bastardized versions of the real tabata protocol out there, if you can do eight 20/10's at full effort you will have no conditioning issues.
I did 4 20/10's this AM at a low intensity level.......and was not sacked.....was aware of the effort!....I'll do 4 20/10's for a while until I get the rhythm down then up the intensity, effort and quantity.
kaptkaos
1/19/2017 7:31am
What should I be expecting for strokes per minute?
gekko
1/19/2017 7:37am
kaptkaos wrote:
I'm most often between 25-30 spm regardless if I'm pacing 1.45min/500m or 2min/500m.
hvaughn88
1/19/2017 7:40am
kaptkaos wrote:
Keefer should be able to help you with those numbers.
kaptkaos
1/19/2017 7:45am
I am going to look at my numbers tonight. The SPM looks familiar to me, I recall about 28-31. The other number that displays is usually in the 3 range, I dont know what it means.
MOTO120
1/19/2017 10:04am
I own a Concept2 Model D rowing machine. I've put about 200k on it over the last couple years BUT I've never noticed a wattage readout? Am I blind and it's there or do I just need to cycle thru some screen display options for it to show up? I'd like to try this Tabata workout program...seems interesting

Thanks!
gekko
1/19/2017 10:08am
MOTO120 wrote:
I own a Concept2 Model D rowing machine. I've put about 200k on it over the last couple years BUT I've never noticed a wattage readout...
I own a Concept2 Model D rowing machine. I've put about 200k on it over the last couple years BUT I've never noticed a wattage readout? Am I blind and it's there or do I just need to cycle thru some screen display options for it to show up? I'd like to try this Tabata workout program...seems interesting

Thanks!
Try pressing the "units" button. You can change what information you get on the screen. Calories/watt/pace I think..
chase383
1/19/2017 6:07pm
gekko wrote:
I have my own rower, i blew out my knee this summer (ACL + several tibia platue fractures) so i bought myself a C2 rower just...
I have my own rower, i blew out my knee this summer (ACL + several tibia platue fractures) so i bought myself a C2 rower just to be able to do some kind workout, in the beginning I only used my good leg and the bad leg just sat on the side sliding on the floor .. Grinning

How do I purchase the RowPro software? .. sounds like a good way to get more speed up! Smile
https://www.digitalrowing.com/

They have promotions every once in a while. I think you can demo it for 30 days free.
I started rowing for some MX training and then trained for a few races (rowing races).

Hammer 663s
1/19/2017 6:29pm
Good stuff here. I love my C2 and I use it almost every day. I vary workouts to avoid boredom. I'm 53, 6', 190 at the moment. I usually go 26-31 SPM and a 2 min/500m average on my normal 15-20 minute session. I'm going to try the Tabata program starting next week. Got 6 weeks to get ready for riding season (wishful thinking here in Portland!) and I think this is the way to go.

Hammer
coastie44
1/19/2017 7:10pm
What works also for moto, especially if you get arm pump when you haven't ridden in a while, is to do longer rows at more moderate paces. This keeps the arms good for a 20 min moto and helps with the cardio base.

So I do like 7K or 10K rows at a pace where I can breathe and talk on those days. It's usually about a 2:15:2:20/500m pace for me. I also found for moto that running a higher resistance setting is helpful too. Even though cardio can be easily built up with the resistance more like water (i.e. set around 5), I get better "forearm" strong (!) if I run it around 8 instead.

Post a reply to: Indoor rower

The Latest