In other news...Dakar

Natester551v
1/11/2020 10:22am
LungButter wrote:
Aren't the Honda bikes full works and not even based off a production bike? What parts could they possibly borrow from a regular ol' Joe's bike...
Aren't the Honda bikes full works and not even based off a production bike? What parts could they possibly borrow from a regular ol' Joe's bike?

I'm not saying your wrong, just curious.
They are complete one-off bikes. I assume by "regular ol' Joe", he's referring to the non-star rider on the team?
Momus wrote:
The wheels.
I'm somewhat doubtful the Honda is providing a free entry to a privateer for the following year for giving up a wheel, but what do I know. Entry fee for a rider is $30k.....just sayin'...

I'm sure they'd be happy to help said rider with parts and support if they kept one of their guys going.

Stoked that Shorty helped Price, although I must admit I'm a wee bit curious what Rockstar thinks about him helping a Red Bull rider...lol. The term "teammate" has all sorts of angles to it...:-).
devotid
Fantasy
315th
1/11/2020 11:02am
If you told Honda that they needed an extra $30k to have a chance to win the dakar... they would right you a check for a $100k. Its a blank check program. I bet they would pay $30k for a rear wheel if they knew all their hard work didnt go in vain.

But Im a turd in Michigan racing enduros. What the hell do I know? haha

GO T-Bone!
Natester551v
1/11/2020 11:08am
devotid wrote:
If you told Honda that they needed an extra $30k to have a chance to win the dakar... they would right you a check for a...
If you told Honda that they needed an extra $30k to have a chance to win the dakar... they would right you a check for a $100k. Its a blank check program. I bet they would pay $30k for a rear wheel if they knew all their hard work didnt go in vain.

But Im a turd in Michigan racing enduros. What the hell do I know? haha

GO T-Bone!
no doubt they've spent millions on Dakar...Ron Lawson just posted a bunch of cool stuff on his weekly column:

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/hondas-factory-dakar-bike-the-wrap/

Quite drool-worthy!!! I've got my fingers crossed that Brabec's bike makes it to the end...Unsure
1/11/2020 11:39am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2020 11:43am
I'm somewhat doubtful the Honda is providing a free entry to a privateer for the following year for giving up a wheel, but what do I...
I'm somewhat doubtful the Honda is providing a free entry to a privateer for the following year for giving up a wheel, but what do I know. Entry fee for a rider is $30k.....just sayin'...

I'm sure they'd be happy to help said rider with parts and support if they kept one of their guys going.

Stoked that Shorty helped Price, although I must admit I'm a wee bit curious what Rockstar thinks about him helping a Red Bull rider...lol. The term "teammate" has all sorts of angles to it...:-).
You can be doubtful all you want, the truth its happened baefore.

I believe it was a rear wheel and some items on the nav tower, while they are 1 off bikes there a plenty of consumer available items on them. While the guy is not a factory rider they are more than an avergae joe i guess, as theyve raced a few rallys to qualify for dakar.

I can promise you 30k is nothing, it is the bare minimum a team could do after ending your race and helping their contenders stay in the race. For most guys it is closer to 80k minimum to do dakar when you add in bike rental, support and entries.

The Shop

Natester551v
1/11/2020 11:47am
I'm somewhat doubtful the Honda is providing a free entry to a privateer for the following year for giving up a wheel, but what do I...

You can be doubtful all you want, the truth its happened baefore. I believe it was a rear wheel and some items on the nav tower...

I believe it was a rear wheel and some items on the nav tower, while they are 1 off bikes there a plenty of consumer available items on them. While the guy is not a factory rider they are more than an avergae joe i guess, as theyve raced a few rallys to qualify for dakar.

I can promise you 30k is nothing, it is the bare minimum a team could do after ending your race and helping their contenders stay in the race. For most guys it is closer to 80k minimum to do dakar when you add in bike rental, support and entries.
And that $80k is for privateers! Doing Dakar is definitely expensive. Brabec talked a bit about the cost on the Whiskey Throttle Show....pretty interesting!
Tortelli
1/12/2020 2:13am

You can be doubtful all you want, the truth its happened baefore. I believe it was a rear wheel and some items on the nav tower...

And that $80k is for privateers! Doing Dakar is definitely expensive. Brabec talked a bit about the cost on the Whiskey Throttle Show....pretty interesting!
From what i hear you need about €80.000 - 100.000 to ride as an amateur. Dont forget that you need to race another event before you can enter Dakar in the first place.

Going malle moto could be a big cost saver, but i think that decreases the chance of actually finishing by a lot.

I'm noticing a pretty big decrease in Dutch riders attending the Dakar the last couple of years. I guess mainly because of the enormous cost involved. In the past there were also more cars attending, most cars with Dutch racers are from (very) wealthy business man.... think you need something like €300.000 to attend with a car and some support/spareparts etc.
Bearuno
1/12/2020 2:31am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 6:10am
R.I.P 'Gonk'

Such sad, sad news.

Here he is from earlier last week, changing engines in the Desert:

https://youtu.be/dFydwzLowsY

He'd done Rally for many years, and was a Highly respected, Highly accomplished rider, and, was very, Very popular within the Bivouac, and the MC World in general.

When people would go on a about Laia's physical 'disadvantages', and then you'd see her and him (and others in the Honda Team at those times), with her, usually the Tallest of them all (she's a Big, Strong, Talented Lady) , with Gonks' head at about chest height on her, it would crack me up a bit.

Vale, Paulo 'Gonk' Goncalves.
1/12/2020 2:44am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 2:48am
Man, you see it can happen to everyone. Even the really experienced and skilled riders like Paulo. R.I.P.

In other news, Toby Price lost about 1 hour and 20 minutes today and still has to cross the finish. So either there's a mistake with the live timing or Toby is out for the win. Joan Barreda took the stage win.

Update: I just read Toby was the first guy to be with Paulo to help. So he will probably get the time back after the stage.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
1/12/2020 3:47am
Fucking hell, that is so sad about Goncalves. Stark reminder of how dangerous this event is.

Even if Toby gets his time back, I wouldn't expect him to push it after having to deal with that
mmcmx
1/12/2020 4:04am
Rest in Pace Paulo.
Natester551v
1/12/2020 6:10am
So sad about Paulo...RIP buddy.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this sport. Days like this are just deflating. So sorry for his family....hope all the other riders stay safe...😥
kage173
1/12/2020 7:11am
Was this that crash I keep seeing on social media? I saw the guy ragdolling for a hundred yards but when he hit the rock at the end I was like how do these guys survive that stuff?

I remember Andrew Short said he asked one of the guys why AS was falling so far behind and the guy told Andrew that he values his life too much. These rally guys are savages.
Zaugg
1/12/2020 7:28am
I believe the highlights you saw were from Stage 3 of Adrien VanBeveren. Thankfully, as horrific as that crash looked, he only injured his shoulder and other bumps and bruises. It did end his race though.

Bummer about Goncalves.
Stuntman949
1/12/2020 9:52am
Stage 8 is canceled for the bikes and quads. Sad day in the motorcycle world.
LungButter
1/12/2020 9:53am
Damn, Dakar is a brutal bitch.

RIP Gonk...a true rally legend.

Tomorrow's stage has been cancelled for the Bikes & Quads.
Natester551v
1/12/2020 10:47am
Toby looked pretty shaken, and understandably so. Results and motorcycles don't mean so much when one of our fellow riders is taken. I feel sick about this...the same way I felt when Kurt Caselli and Nathan Woods were taken. I love anything on two wheels, and Rally and Isle of Man are near the top, but sometimes they extract a terrible price.
ocscottie
1/12/2020 10:49am
kage173 wrote:
Was this that crash I keep seeing on social media? I saw the guy ragdolling for a hundred yards but when he hit the rock at...
Was this that crash I keep seeing on social media? I saw the guy ragdolling for a hundred yards but when he hit the rock at the end I was like how do these guys survive that stuff?

I remember Andrew Short said he asked one of the guys why AS was falling so far behind and the guy told Andrew that he values his life too much. These rally guys are savages.
"These rally guys are savages."

They truly are cut from a different cloth.
LungButter
1/12/2020 1:01pm
Toby looked pretty shaken, and understandably so. Results and motorcycles don't mean so much when one of our fellow riders is taken. I feel sick about...
Toby looked pretty shaken, and understandably so. Results and motorcycles don't mean so much when one of our fellow riders is taken. I feel sick about this...the same way I felt when Kurt Caselli and Nathan Woods were taken. I love anything on two wheels, and Rally and Isle of Man are near the top, but sometimes they extract a terrible price.
Agreed man, I had zero personal connection to Paulo other than following his results for 15 years...but this one hurts. Bad.

He was clearly a great man, the video of him swapping his own motor in the middle of the desert on Stage 3 this year was beyond inspirational.

"Never give up" he said.

Heart of a lion.
1/12/2020 1:49pm
Such awful, tragic news.... Was Paulo related to the Portuguese MXGP rider, Rui Gonclaves?? Father/son, perhaps??
ajv#26
1/12/2020 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 2:38pm
Such awful, tragic news.... Was Paulo related to the Portuguese MXGP rider, Rui Gonclaves?? Father/son, perhaps??

They were not related.
They were friends and competitors for many years in motocross and supercross in Portugal.
This photo is from MXON 2001, where Paulo, Rui and Joaquim Rodrigues (J-Rod) and Paulo's current brother-in-law got the best ever Portuguese motocross result with eighth place.
Later in 2005, the same team again reached eighth position.
Today is a sad day for me and my country, as the greatest ambassador of motorcycling in Portugal died, who, besides being a huge rider, was undoubtedly a great man with the heart of the size of the world.
Rest in peace Paulo!
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
1/12/2020 4:21pm
So sad, it is crazy, we don't personally know these guys in a lot of instances, but I have been watching Dakar for years and writing race reports about Dakar and the Rally series for years and you end up feeling as though you have a connection with these riders, even though in reality you don't really unless you have personally met them.

A great rider, and you just don't think it will happen to the guys that are this experienced, but unfortunately it does, and little more often than we would like.

tcallahan707
1/12/2020 4:46pm
Awful news. One thing to keep in mind is that without the bad, the good wouldn't be there as well. There is a reason some events are so thrilling/challenging/fulfilling and risk is part of that equation.

Without getting too deep, I do believe we are all here to learn predetermined lessons and grow, and the collective intelligence is raised by doing so.

The world is better off because Paulo was in it. He is forever weaved into the fabric of this universe.
BS12
1/13/2020 12:09am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2020 12:12am
Words from Toby. So sad:

View this post on Instagram

Yesterday’s stage was starting well, great pace and feeling good on the bike until the refuel. Paulo took off into the stage about 5 minutes before me and the worst case had happened. I come over a small crest and seen a rider down and was Paulo. Worst fears kicked in cause I knew this one was serious. I called for help ASAP and helped get him on his side (plus more serious checks). Tried calling for more help and by this stage @stefansvitko (also a champion) had arrived and helping where he could. The first helicopter arrive and @luc_alphand_skiator was starting to help and as the medical helicopter arrive they were already on CPR and the doctors got to our sides and work all they could. Helping holding drip bags, getting bags of medical equipment and guiding other riders around a bad scene. We all worked as long as we could but there was nothing we could do. I helped assist carrying him to the helicopter as it was the right thing to do. I was first at his side and wanted to be the last to leave. We will miss you’re smile and laughter in the bivouac #speedy My last 250km of special stage was tough, I’m dehydrated from tears. At the moment I’m not even worried about the result, I couldn’t care. Many thoughts with family and friends on this day, we don’t start the rally day 8 for bike #8 in respect to family and friends and the loss of a HERO.. Thankyou to everyone for the messages of support worldwide, especially Portugal with all the kind things. We are human and this is nothing but just a race, I would give up all my wins to have any of my fellow racing mates back with us..

A post shared by Toby Price (@tobyprice87) on Jan 12, 2020 at 11:12pm PST

Deja New
1/13/2020 12:31am
What great guys they all are so sad to read this rip Paulo.
rangot
1/13/2020 1:45am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2020 1:46am
ajv#26 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/12/397680/s1200_mxon2005.jpg[/img] They were not related. They were friends and competitors for many years in motocross and supercross in Portugal. This photo is from MXON 2001, where...

They were not related.
They were friends and competitors for many years in motocross and supercross in Portugal.
This photo is from MXON 2001, where Paulo, Rui and Joaquim Rodrigues (J-Rod) and Paulo's current brother-in-law got the best ever Portuguese motocross result with eighth place.
Later in 2005, the same team again reached eighth position.
Today is a sad day for me and my country, as the greatest ambassador of motorcycling in Portugal died, who, besides being a huge rider, was undoubtedly a great man with the heart of the size of the world.
Rest in peace Paulo!
Yeah, Paulo was unanimously respected and loved by his peers. That is so sad, terrible. Wonder how JRod can handle that... And Rui who just signed with Sherco to do rally also.

CPR
1/13/2020 2:08am
BS12 wrote:
Words from Toby. So sad:

View this post on Instagram

Yesterday’s stage was starting well, great pace and feeling good on the bike until the refuel. Paulo took off into the stage about 5 minutes before me and the worst case had happened. I come over a small crest and seen a rider down and was Paulo. Worst fears kicked in cause I knew this one was serious. I called for help ASAP and helped get him on his side (plus more serious checks). Tried calling for more help and by this stage @stefansvitko (also a champion) had arrived and helping where he could. The first helicopter arrive and @luc_alphand_skiator was starting to help and as the medical helicopter arrive they were already on CPR and the doctors got to our sides and work all they could. Helping holding drip bags, getting bags of medical equipment and guiding other riders around a bad scene. We all worked as long as we could but there was nothing we could do. I helped assist carrying him to the helicopter as it was the right thing to do. I was first at his side and wanted to be the last to leave. We will miss you’re smile and laughter in the bivouac #speedy My last 250km of special stage was tough, I’m dehydrated from tears. At the moment I’m not even worried about the result, I couldn’t care. Many thoughts with family and friends on this day, we don’t start the rally day 8 for bike #8 in respect to family and friends and the loss of a HERO.. Thankyou to everyone for the messages of support worldwide, especially Portugal with all the kind things. We are human and this is nothing but just a race, I would give up all my wins to have any of my fellow racing mates back with us..

A post shared by Toby Price (@tobyprice87) on Jan 12, 2020 at 11:12pm PST

Wow just reading that was hard, can't imagine how Price even finished the stage? Respect.
1/13/2020 2:30am
CPR wrote:
Wow just reading that was hard, can't imagine how Price even finished the stage? Respect.
I think he'll just cruise the rest of this dakar, i dont see him pushing for the win after something like this.

Post a reply to: In other news...Dakar

The Latest