In-helmet radios

Edited Date/Time 1/29/2021 4:25pm
I’m looking for a reliable two-way radio setup for MX that I can use between a rider and a trackside coach. My main concern is whether the rider will be able to hear the radio over the sound of the bikes. Anyone found a decent setup and can recommend one?

Cheers
Simon
|
12/26/2020 3:01pm
Thanks. I’ll give them a call but from the website it looks like the two-way radio needs a wire from the rider to the bars and then it’s push to talk from rider to coach.
AxlBundy
12/26/2020 4:23pm
Check out Cardo. Pretty sure RC was using Cardo radios at one of his classes recently and talking to the riders.

Ive been just dipping my toes in researching them for me and my kid

The Shop

TeamGreen
12/26/2020 4:45pm
PCI radios are what I've been using since I started ridng/racing in Baja back in 2009. Johnny Campbell and the JCR crew turned me on to them. I have one of their old Icon radios that was my 1st purchase & I've used it ever since (It's my loaner radio Laughing ).

https://www.pciraceradios.com
socalmxer807
Fantasy
425th
12/26/2020 7:28pm
My son atI just started using this:

Motorcycle Communication System, FreedConn T-COMVB Helmet Bluetooth Headset for Motorbike Skiing 2~3 Riders Pairing/ 800M Range/ 2 Pack Soft Mic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV2SJSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_27.5Fb…

It works quite well and is considerably cheaper than Cardo Systems.
berm surfer
12/26/2020 10:51pm
PCI is a legit company and a rad group of people! Same as Team Green started dealing with them for Baja 5+ years ago
12/27/2020 7:33pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm gonna have to call these radio companies to see if they do what I want - which is basically what RC is using in that Cardo video i.e. a headset for the coach and a v light, unobtrusive transceiver (or even just a receiver) for the rider.

Cheers
Simon
SBO
12/27/2020 8:17pm
If anyone is interested in more information and discounts on the Cardo system, please contact me. I will be more than happy to help and get a discount worked in.
12/27/2020 8:39pm
If Troy Lee tells me one more time to "try the SENA radios man, they are so friggin kewwwl" I am gonna jump out the window. HE LOVES SENA....so, Give SENA a try.
Crossup
12/27/2020 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2020 8:56pm
Our riding group (30+ riders) have been using Cardo Packtalk Bold helmet communicators for years. For woods riding, we are all linked and have a five-mile line of sight range from the first rider to the last. It works great for notifying the group if we're making turns or if there are obstacles on the trails. (No one likes to come around the corner and hook that branch that's hanging out into the trail.)

The mic and speaker sensitivity can be set manually or to auto to eliminate the engine sounds.

For moto I think that it would make a ton of sense for training especially watching the RC video. You might think that someone talking in your helmet is distracting, but you get used to it pretty quick. As long as someone isn't chatty, I see it working out fine.
12/30/2020 6:00pm
Thank again for all the suggestions. I’m gonna call the various manufacturers/suppliers in the new year and figure out what will work best for me.

If I can be arsed I’ll post a product review when I’ve bought one.

Cheers
Simon
EngIceDave
12/30/2020 6:05pm
I have a Sena system in my street helmet and it's pretty damn good. One day I was out riding and got a phone call at like 45mph, had a conversation, asked how it sounded, said she had no idea I was on my bike.

1/20/2021 8:59pm
So here’s what I ended up doing, in case anyone is interested. I decided the Cardo was probably the best radio for my application, but when I called them they said they don’t actually sell a dedicated headset that a coach can wear.

So I ended up buying a pair of cheap FreedConn radios and rewiring the output of one of them to an old PC headset the attaching the radio to the outside of the headset.

On the helmet end the speakers that came with the radio are junk and way too quiet to be heard over 4T noise, so I rewired the left speaker with an old Shure SE215 inner ear bud. Somewhat overkill, but I wasn’t using it and it delivers fantastic sound.

I’ve only tested it around the house but hope to go training this week so I’ll update as to how it works out. If it’s good enough I’ll tidy up the wire bundle on the headset, but as they say, even the best plans rarely survive first contact with the enemy.

Cheers
Simon

slipdog
1/20/2021 9:28pm
So here’s what I ended up doing, in case anyone is interested. I decided the Cardo was probably the best radio for my application, but when...
So here’s what I ended up doing, in case anyone is interested. I decided the Cardo was probably the best radio for my application, but when I called them they said they don’t actually sell a dedicated headset that a coach can wear.

So I ended up buying a pair of cheap FreedConn radios and rewiring the output of one of them to an old PC headset the attaching the radio to the outside of the headset.

On the helmet end the speakers that came with the radio are junk and way too quiet to be heard over 4T noise, so I rewired the left speaker with an old Shure SE215 inner ear bud. Somewhat overkill, but I wasn’t using it and it delivers fantastic sound.

I’ve only tested it around the house but hope to go training this week so I’ll update as to how it works out. If it’s good enough I’ll tidy up the wire bundle on the headset, but as they say, even the best plans rarely survive first contact with the enemy.

Cheers
Simon

^^I bought this same set up 2 weeks ago for talking to my son and overall it has worked well at multiple tracks with only minimal disruption when he dropped in the hole behind the Fly 150 at the Hangtown track. Not bad for under $100
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
1/22/2021 4:16pm
It’s time to implement this into sx/Mx.
1/29/2021 4:24pm
So here’s what I ended up doing, in case anyone is interested. I decided the Cardo was probably the best radio for my application, but when...

Cheers
Simon

I rode at today at Thunder Valley using the radios and they were amazing. I’ve never use a two-way radio while riding and thought it might be distracting, but after a couple laps it felt really natural - it also helped that my coach chose his moment to talk and never said anything when I was approaching a jump so I could focus, which was helpful.

The audio through the Shure SE215 inner ear bud was crystal clear and plenty loud enough - I actually had to turn down the volume. And my coach could hear me talk with no wind noise. He could also hear my engine which was great because then he can hear when I’m starting to roll on the throttle around the turns and tell me what I’m doing wrong in real time. There was only one part of the track where the signal was fuzzy but that lasted about 20 seconds and then I was back in range and the connection never dropped. The batteries lasted all day which was great.

Other than the time it spent to rewire the equipment, these $50 radios are awesome for my purpose.

Cheers
Simon

Post a reply to: In-helmet radios

The Latest