Imagine the NFL without

Springcreek
Imagine the NFL without playoffs and the Superbowl.

The Carolina Panthers would have been champs, there would not have been the Superbowl upset by Denver and Peyton Manning going out on top.

NBA without playoffs, no Cleveland - Lebron James story.

Baseball without the World Series
Hockey without the Stanley Cup (Steve M)

Imagine Supercross with a chase (playoffs) that results in a Chad Reed or a James Stewart upsetting Roczen/Tomac/Dungey.

It could be epic
|
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
10/21/2016 6:29am
Imagine the NFL without playoffs and the Superbowl. The Carolina Panthers would have been champs, there would not have been the Superbowl upset by Denver and...

The Carolina Panthers would have been champs, there would not have been the Superbowl upset by Denver and Peyton Manning going out on top.

Imagine Supercross with a chase (playoffs) that results in a Chad Reed or a James Stewart upsetting Roczen/Tomac/Dungey.

It could be epic
I think it's going to be great.
JWACK
10/21/2016 6:30am
I imagine that the football players would just really miss all the showers with the boys..
wreckitrandy
10/21/2016 6:38am
Imagine the NFL without playoffs and the Superbowl. The Carolina Panthers would have been champs, there would not have been the Superbowl upset by Denver and...

It could be epic
Or, you could just decide the champ by whoever signs the most autographs or has the longest line in the pits....... Pastrana could show up and win! Epic upset.
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 6:58am
You trying to justify that turd of an idea still?

The Shop

Johnny Depp
10/21/2016 7:06am

It could be epic
NIce post, good start of a thread. I notice the responses don't have any good arguments against it so far.

colonel
10/21/2016 7:12am
Thought you were going to post "Imagine NFL without the Steroids"
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 7:13am

It could be epic
NIce post, good start of a thread. I notice the responses don't have any good arguments against it so far.

Except it's turd of an idea?

If we're accepting the "playoff" model, are we going to kick off every other rider that's not in the "chase"?
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
10/21/2016 7:13am

It could be epic

Imagine golf with a playoff type system. Naw...

IMO, team sports need a playoff/championship system, individual sports do not.
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 7:14am
colonel wrote:
Thought you were going to post "Imagine NFL without the Steroids"
Could you imagine how boring the NFL would be without steroids? Or if they joined the WADA/USADA agencies?
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 7:15am

It could be epic

BMR179 wrote:

But but but. . . they did it in nascar. . . isn't that a good enough argument?
olds cool
10/21/2016 7:15am
Imagine winning 12-14 races and not winning a championship...
stewie94
10/21/2016 7:21am
different types of sports , playoffs imo dont belong in racing or in any other motorsport
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
10/21/2016 7:27am

BMR179 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
But but but. . . they did it in nascar. . . isn't that a good enough argument?
What is this nascar you speak of? Hehehe....

NASCAR is way more of a team sport than SX/MX. The car setup and race planning (ie, team) is 80% or more of the race outcome, where it's the opposite for SX/MX.

The "chase" argument, to me, is ridiculous. Dumbing down of our sport for the masses, no thank you.

newmann
10/21/2016 7:28am
Imagine when teams work together to win a championship. Oh how the butt hurt shall flow when their favorite rider gets sacked. Gonna need more riders!

hvaughn88
10/21/2016 7:38am

It could be epic

BMR179 wrote:

Maybe Fed Ex will sponsor itWink
DoctorJD
10/21/2016 7:40am
Imagine if baseball had triples...oh, wait
Markopolo400
10/21/2016 7:43am
Any news on if the Chase format is going to happen or not?
toroP
10/21/2016 7:49am
OK
Imagine an NFL where all the teams play each other simultaneously every Sunday ........... OK, see the difference. SX and the NFL are not comparable.

Teams sports require play offs to avoid a judgement call of who is best. The SX "regular season" measures clearly who is the best because everyone plays everyone each week.
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 8:08am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 8:08am
Any news on if the Chase format is going to happen or not?
Oh, they're going to ram it in alright. Sans lube.
cmarona463
10/21/2016 8:14am
Imagine if, a chase format raises viewer ratings by a few percent over the final rounds of the series. And imagine if, that increase in viewer ratings brings more exposure to the sport. Then imagine, that this new exposure brings newer and larger sponsors, with larger budgets. Then imagine, that these larger sponsorship deals bring higher pressure on Feld to raise rider payout.......
hvaughn88
10/21/2016 8:20am
cmarona463 wrote:
Imagine if, a chase format raises viewer ratings by a few percent over the final rounds of the series. And imagine if, that increase in viewer...
Imagine if, a chase format raises viewer ratings by a few percent over the final rounds of the series. And imagine if, that increase in viewer ratings brings more exposure to the sport. Then imagine, that this new exposure brings newer and larger sponsors, with larger budgets. Then imagine, that these larger sponsorship deals bring higher pressure on Feld to raise rider payout.......
That last sentence is cute
JM485
10/21/2016 8:20am

Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I ride and watch dirtbikes and not any of the others, I don't know why everyone wants to make this sport "mainstream" because mainstream stuff generally sucks. You're taking away the integrity of a championship by putting more weight on later rounds. To be honest, I've only been to races in earlier parts of the season so I'd be a little pissed off if the race I was watching had almost no effect on the final points standings. Not to mention it's a total slap in the face to consistent guys like Dungey who have earned their championships by being there week in and week out.
cmarona463
10/21/2016 8:23am
JM485 wrote:
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I...
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I ride and watch dirtbikes and not any of the others, I don't know why everyone wants to make this sport "mainstream" because mainstream stuff generally sucks. You're taking away the integrity of a championship by putting more weight on later rounds. To be honest, I've only been to races in earlier parts of the season so I'd be a little pissed off if the race I was watching had almost no effect on the final points standings. Not to mention it's a total slap in the face to consistent guys like Dungey who have earned their championships by being there week in and week out.
What about people that are only able to go to the later races in the season? How easy would it be to convince you to buy tickets to a race when the championship has already been wrapped up?
lestat
10/21/2016 8:26am
toroP wrote:
OK Imagine an NFL where all the teams play each other simultaneously every Sunday ........... OK, see the difference. SX and the NFL are not comparable...
OK
Imagine an NFL where all the teams play each other simultaneously every Sunday ........... OK, see the difference. SX and the NFL are not comparable.

Teams sports require play offs to avoid a judgement call of who is best. The SX "regular season" measures clearly who is the best because everyone plays everyone each week.
Winning this thread !
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 8:36am
JM485 wrote:
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I...
cmarona463 wrote:
What about people that are only able to go to the later races in the season? How easy would it be to convince you to buy...
What about people that are only able to go to the later races in the season? How easy would it be to convince you to buy tickets to a race when the championship has already been wrapped up?
Are you arguing to say that the importance is ripped out of the first rounds to be applied to the latter rounds? Sounds like you're just shifting the shit from one end of the spectrum to another. That's a net neutral proposition.
IWreckALot
10/21/2016 8:38am
TripleFive wrote:
Imagine a SX season that's not boring by round 10.
SX will be boring UNTIL round 10 with the proposed change.

A chase format isn't going to take a 10th place rider and make them finish in first. Hell, it's not going to let a rider in 3rd place catch first unless first gets injured.
hellion
10/21/2016 8:38am
cmarona463 wrote:
Imagine if, a chase format raises viewer ratings by a few percent over the final rounds of the series. And imagine if, that increase in viewer...
Dream on! Imagine the increased audience of couch potatoes that don't ride. Maybe some of the money goes to feld which makes them want a thirty race Supercross series. Imagine no riders being able to get through a season healthy. Imagine the pockets of the riders (other than the top few) being as empty as ever.

As a racer, I'd hate the chase. As a spectator I think the last few races might be more interesting. But as a traditionalist I don't think upsetting the historical significance of our sports championship is worth it.
10/21/2016 8:43am
I really think we need something different... Would love a "chase" or "playoffs". If it sucks, go back to the old points system the next year.
10/21/2016 8:47am
TripleFive wrote:
Imagine a SX season that's not boring by round 10.
IWreckALot wrote:
SX will be boring UNTIL round 10 with the proposed change. A chase format isn't going to take a 10th place rider and make them finish...
SX will be boring UNTIL round 10 with the proposed change.

A chase format isn't going to take a 10th place rider and make them finish in first. Hell, it's not going to let a rider in 3rd place catch first unless first gets injured.
Because the guys wont care about winning until the Chase. Right.

Post a reply to: Imagine the NFL without

The Latest