I’m trying to track down a moto movie from the 80’s...

motoXracer971
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 3:11pm
...that showed the LA Coliseum race where Guy Cooper (15, Honda) (edit) ALMOST beat RJ in the main. There were several other segments that showed enduro/Baja stuff too. I used to watch this over and over as a kid and I need it in my collection! Hoping you guys might be able to help with the title!

Thanks
David
|
Bman_145
3/10/2018 8:08pm
Rick Johnson, Profile of a Champion has that race on it. Not sure what video you're talking about though.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
3/10/2018 8:28pm
...that showed the LA Coliseum race where Guy Cooper (15, Honda) (edit) ALMOST beat RJ in the main. There were several other segments that showed enduro/Baja...
...that showed the LA Coliseum race where Guy Cooper (15, Honda) (edit) ALMOST beat RJ in the main. There were several other segments that showed enduro/Baja stuff too. I used to watch this over and over as a kid and I need it in my collection! Hoping you guys might be able to help with the title!

Thanks
David
The race you're looking for is the 1987 LA Coliseum Supercross.

Cooper didn't beat RJ, he lead until the final lap, RJ was down in the first turn and passed Cooper twice on the last lap (RJ tipped over).

The Shop

motoXracer971
3/10/2018 8:38pm
...that showed the LA Coliseum race where Guy Cooper (15, Honda) (edit) ALMOST beat RJ in the main. There were several other segments that showed enduro/Baja...

Thanks
David
The race you're looking for is the 1987 LA Coliseum Supercross. Cooper didn't beat RJ, he lead until the final lap, RJ was down in the...
The race you're looking for is the 1987 LA Coliseum Supercross.

Cooper didn't beat RJ, he lead until the final lap, RJ was down in the first turn and passed Cooper twice on the last lap (RJ tipped over).
Yes! That’s the one...I was really young then, but after I posted this I thought I had the winner wrong.
wpark89
3/10/2018 10:22pm
It could be this??? I don't have a VHS to watch it and I haven't seen it since probably the early 90s, but i remember it has some footage of that 87 LA SX, some muddy 88 Golden State National, and some Desert (Baja) segments, plus maybe some Speedway racing. But most importantly a bad ass 80s rock soundtrack.

NorCal 50+
3/10/2018 10:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2018 10:32pm
ocscottie wrote:
There is this one, i know LA is there, ive seen it not that long ago.

https://youtu.be/gDZxziWVOKg
Holy shit, RJ's leg gets sucked into that guy's back wheel in the first turn crash. Looked painful.
This race is really awesome- LMAO "Ricky Johnson Superman of California, San Diego" He's ridiculously fast in this one, for the time period.
motoXracer971
3/10/2018 11:18pm
wpark89 wrote:
It could be this??? I don't have a VHS to watch it and I haven't seen it since probably the early 90s, but i remember it...
It could be this??? I don't have a VHS to watch it and I haven't seen it since probably the early 90s, but i remember it has some footage of that 87 LA SX, some muddy 88 Golden State National, and some Desert (Baja) segments, plus maybe some Speedway racing. But most importantly a bad ass 80s rock soundtrack.

Dude! That’s the one! Now I just have to find one! Thanks
wpark89
3/11/2018 9:54am
I'm not attached to it, that's a ridiculous price on etsy. I see old mx crap on there sometimes that's way overpriced. We watched Winners Take All and Matazattack all the time but not this Daredevil video.
3/12/2018 5:50am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 5:52am
That's a good video from the 80's, but the real classic is Superstars of Motocross featuring 'Mike' Kessler and 'Davie' Coombs battling in Arenacross, and also expert motogear modeling by 'Davie' as he demonstrated the equipment that carried him to a top 10 finish in Daytona 1985. lol

TG130
3/13/2018 3:11pm

Thanks
David
That race (1987 LA Coliseum) is on the "World's Greatest Supercross Races" dvd. I think you can get it from Amazon or ebay. This dvd contains the same races as the old "On Two Wheels" vhs tape set that Motovideo sold years ago.
Daniel_Abel
11/9/2023 9:13pm

OMG thank you so much I watched that video tape soooo many times when I was little!!!!!!!!!

DF313
Fantasy
2460th
11/9/2023 10:04pm
wpark89 wrote:
It could be this??? I don't have a VHS to watch it and I haven't seen it since probably the early 90s, but i remember it...

Dude! That’s the one! Now I just have to find one! Thanks

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
11/9/2023 11:20pm

I was at that race.

The 80's were the best era of Supercross.      2-strokes, sights, sounds, the tracks...   

MxAddic
11/10/2023 4:18am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2023 4:22am
Magoofan wrote:

I was at that race.

The 80's were the best era of Supercross.      2-strokes, sights, sounds, the tracks...   

Now everything is cookie cutter. Cookie cutter tracks, cookie cutter riders, cookie cutter bikes and cookie cutter TV coverage. 90%+ of the folks saving it was not better never lived it to make a fair comparison.

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
11/10/2023 6:49am
That's a good video from the 80's, but the real classic is Superstars of Motocross featuring 'Mike' Kessler and 'Davie' Coombs battling in Arenacross, and also...
That's a good video from the 80's, but the real classic is Superstars of Motocross featuring 'Mike' Kessler and 'Davie' Coombs battling in Arenacross, and also expert motogear modeling by 'Davie' as he demonstrated the equipment that carried him to a top 10 finish in Daytona 1985. lol

I realize this is a post from 2018, but was this the video that had the "ride like the wind" song, and the weird twilight zone segment where they would play the race backwards

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
11/10/2023 7:59am
Magoofan wrote:

I was at that race.

MxAddic wrote:
Now everything is cookie cutter. Cookie cutter tracks, cookie cutter riders, cookie cutter bikes and cookie cutter TV coverage. 90%+ of the folks saving it was...

Now everything is cookie cutter. Cookie cutter tracks, cookie cutter riders, cookie cutter bikes and cookie cutter TV coverage. 90%+ of the folks saving it was not better never lived it to make a fair comparison.

Yup.   The only good tracks on the regular SX season are Daytona and Atlanta (Atlanta has become the best track)   SMX surprised with some tracks that threw people off their game. 

The rest  of the stadium tracks are essentially practiced to death aerial gymnastics.    This is why SX has become more of a circus show over the years. 

11/10/2023 8:40am
Magoofan wrote:

I was at that race.

MxAddic wrote:
Now everything is cookie cutter. Cookie cutter tracks, cookie cutter riders, cookie cutter bikes and cookie cutter TV coverage. 90%+ of the folks saving it was...

Magoofan wrote:
Yup.   The only good tracks on the regular SX season are Daytona and Atlanta (Atlanta has become the best track)   SMX surprised with some tracks that...

Yup.   The only good tracks on the regular SX season are Daytona and Atlanta (Atlanta has become the best track)   SMX surprised with some tracks that threw people off their game. 

The rest  of the stadium tracks are essentially practiced to death aerial gymnastics.    This is why SX has become more of a circus show over the years. 

I really do miss the days of waiting  3 months to read about a race that I waited a week to see 1 second clips of on Motoworld. Those were the days. No message boards with Old men bitching about kids and the new tech that was just a fad. They did it like real men, at the race track around a campfire that burnt wood .  Back when You could go to Unadilla and have a good old fashion Rock fight so You could look as beat up as Your Girlfriend that was chased down and fondled by a drunk mob the night before. Then having a good laugh about it as You sat around the campfire used to be Your Van. But that same drunk mob set it on fire.  Ahh the good old days........... 

You could argue that You personally had more fun back then as a rider . But for Fans, it is much better now. Unless You prefer watching 1 race on network TV then months later at 2am see another on ESPN IF  it was not pushed for the world curling championships . Sometimes You might only get to see the condensed version. the 4 motos  on an hour show with commercials.  Back then the SX tracks were built by local contractors who might have never built a jump before. A friends Dad worked on some of the tracks.Making the tracks with spec jumps is what allows the top guys to go out and put fast laps down right away, and it is safer since they know the jumps are always built the same way by the same guys. Racing other riders normally makes for better racing than when riders have to race the track.

Parts of back then might be better, but overall spectating is MUCH better these days than back then.      

Post a reply to: I’m trying to track down a moto movie from the 80’s...

The Latest