I'm kinda thinking e-bikes could really help "grow the sport"...

Titan1
9/28/2021 3:34pm
I just picked up a Husky EE-5 for my son last night...he also has a KTM50sx...I didn't have time to run him to the desert today...but there is a field around the corner from my house...right next to a park and then some houses.

He could never REALLY ride the KTM there...its way too loud...but he was riding that e-bike there for about an hour. Nobody cared.

And, to my point about growing the sport...his two best friends (who don't ride, and have never ridden) were there with him...they started out on gear (level?) 1...and within the hour of them taking turns were ripping around that lot on gear 3 & 4...having a blast...They've never even asked to ride the KTM (they've tagged a long to a couple races with my son, and I let him rip it around that lot in VERY short bursts, so they've had opportunity to ask and never did), it was to loud, to hard to ride, to intimidating...but they are both going home to beg their parents for a dirt bike now, because that e-bike looks cool, is fast, and it was so much fun.

When my son rode it for the first time he came back in with a HUGE grin on his face..."this is SO fast...and so much fun!"

And for a parent who is a first time dirt bike owner...NO MAINTENANCE! No air filters, no oil changes, no top ends, no clutches, no jetting, no bottom ends, no radiators...I think sometimes we under estimate how much of an obstacle maintenance is to those new to the sport....

Yes, this is a "one data point" experience, so take it with a grain of salt...and price point will be an obstacle ($5300 MSRP plus dealer fees, tax and license is A LOT)...and the range is pretty limited...they drained the battery in about an hour and now its parked in the garage charging (when we would have just put more fuel in the KTM)....but...as the tech comes around...e-bikes could bring back neighborhood moto like when I was a kid....

As a former electric skeptic...I've owned my families first electric bike for less than 24 hours, and I think I've seen the light!
|
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
9/28/2021 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 3:50pm
80% of the fun associated with dirt bikes is working on them for me! Grab a ice cold PBR, crank the tunes, & tinker on the bike. That and If I came home from a day riding and didn’t smell like gas the girl would be awfully suspicious.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/28/2021 3:56pm
bigk218 wrote:
80% of the fun associated with dirt bikes is working on them for me! Grab a ice cold PBR, crank the tunes, & tinker on the...
80% of the fun associated with dirt bikes is working on them for me! Grab a ice cold PBR, crank the tunes, & tinker on the bike. That and If I came home from a day riding and didn’t smell like gas the girl would be awfully suspicious.
Spend that time washing and installing trick parts. Buy a can of MR2 and put it in a plastic can if you miss the smell. Splash a few drops on your pants if your girl needs to smell it. Grinning

I can't wait for a full-size eMX bike. I should have bought an Alta.
Titan1
9/28/2021 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 4:21pm
bigk218 wrote:
80% of the fun associated with dirt bikes is working on them for me! Grab a ice cold PBR, crank the tunes, & tinker on the...
Not for me, man…it’s the absolute worst part of owning dirt bikes…I’m glad I can afford to pay someone to do all but the preventative maintenance, and afford a new bike before all the big maintenance is due…if I couldn’t I honestly wouldn’t ride. And the maintenance is my number 1 motivating factor in the ee5…I’m so tired of working on that KTM50sx…

I also think it’s a huge obstacle for a lot of parents when they even think about buying a bike for their son….

But to each their own…someone has to keep service shops in business, may as we’ll be me. Lol.
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
9/28/2021 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 4:07pm
bigk218 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Not for me, man…it’s the absolute worst part of owning dirt bikes…I’m glad I can afford to pay someone to do all but the preventative maintenance...
Not for me, man…it’s the absolute worst part of owning dirt bikes…I’m glad I can afford to pay someone to do all but the preventative maintenance, and afford a new bike before all the big maintenance is due…if I couldn’t I honestly wouldn’t ride. And the maintenance is my number 1 motivating factor in the ee5…I’m so tired of working on that KTM50sx…

I also think it’s a huge obstacle for a lot of parents when they even think about buying a bike for their son….

But to each their own…someone has to keep service shops in business, may as we’ll be me. Lol.
That’s cool man. cool that you’re out riding though. Not everyone’s mechanically inclined. Some of the most memorable moments with my dad was grinding in the garage late at night changing filters, oil, mixin gas, top end rebuilds. Taught me a lot.

The Shop

mark_swart
9/28/2021 4:08pm
Titan1 wrote:
I just picked up a Husky EE-5 for my son last night...he also has a KTM50sx...I didn't have time to run him to the desert today...but...
I just picked up a Husky EE-5 for my son last night...he also has a KTM50sx...I didn't have time to run him to the desert today...but there is a field around the corner from my house...right next to a park and then some houses.

He could never REALLY ride the KTM there...its way too loud...but he was riding that e-bike there for about an hour. Nobody cared.

And, to my point about growing the sport...his two best friends (who don't ride, and have never ridden) were there with him...they started out on gear (level?) 1...and within the hour of them taking turns were ripping around that lot on gear 3 & 4...having a blast...They've never even asked to ride the KTM (they've tagged a long to a couple races with my son, and I let him rip it around that lot in VERY short bursts, so they've had opportunity to ask and never did), it was to loud, to hard to ride, to intimidating...but they are both going home to beg their parents for a dirt bike now, because that e-bike looks cool, is fast, and it was so much fun.

When my son rode it for the first time he came back in with a HUGE grin on his face..."this is SO fast...and so much fun!"

And for a parent who is a first time dirt bike owner...NO MAINTENANCE! No air filters, no oil changes, no top ends, no clutches, no jetting, no bottom ends, no radiators...I think sometimes we under estimate how much of an obstacle maintenance is to those new to the sport....

Yes, this is a "one data point" experience, so take it with a grain of salt...and price point will be an obstacle ($5300 MSRP plus dealer fees, tax and license is A LOT)...and the range is pretty limited...they drained the battery in about an hour and now its parked in the garage charging (when we would have just put more fuel in the KTM)....but...as the tech comes around...e-bikes could bring back neighborhood moto like when I was a kid....

As a former electric skeptic...I've owned my families first electric bike for less than 24 hours, and I think I've seen the light!
I agree with you completely, even though it isn't the most popular opinion. I think it could open up riding options, and I could also see manufacturers using the same platform for dual sport and moto and offroad. So imagine you race it MX on Sunday, then swap the wheels for your extra set of street wheels and plug in your modular light kit and ride it to work the next day. Now it's something you can get more use out of instead of a completely specialized toy. That makes it an easier sell to wives/parents etc.

In the pioneer days of motocross, riders took street bikes and turned them into race bikes. This almost feels like things coming full circle.

It will definitely be strange, but I've already survived the transition from two strokes to four, so at least with this one the maintenance situation looks a hell of a lot better!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/28/2021 4:35pm
I dont think the Ebikes will "grow" the sport but they wont hurt it either, more options is better for everyone and I would think most of the E bike buyers would be guys like us who have been involved all their lives and looking for something different and new.
Titan1
9/28/2021 4:51pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I dont think the Ebikes will "grow" the sport but they wont hurt it either, more options is better for everyone and I would think most...
I dont think the Ebikes will "grow" the sport but they wont hurt it either, more options is better for everyone and I would think most of the E bike buyers would be guys like us who have been involved all their lives and looking for something different and new.
You might be right, maybe they won't grow the sport...I know I'm not an expert...all I know is that two little boys-who have never ridden, and whose parents have never ridden-spent part of an hour riding an e-bike (when they wouldn't touch an ICE bike, with many opportunities) and are now asking their parents for a bike...and can't wait to go back out. I'm sure they aren't the only kids in the world/country who would have a similar experience....so you are absolutely right in that they won't hurt the sport.
gerg
9/28/2021 5:17pm
I'm an e-bike sceptic in that I think that they're just the next marketing schpeel working over peoples emotional state.
Eg, better for the environment...lol like petrol dirt bikes have that much of an impact on pollution.

I can 100% see some benefits though...mainly maintenance but I'm sure the manufacturers will find some way for us to empty our wallets (probably planned obsolescence in some form or another).
And of course reduced noise will help with the complaints from neighbors...but there will be always something for neighbors and authorities to jump up and down over. The big one being erosion/waterways or dust etc.

Any bets over here is Australia they'll kick up a stink over erosion and the rangers can no longer catch riders registered or not because the bikes are silent.

As for growing the sport...maybe, possibly. Cant hurt to bring out some models from the big 4 and see how they go for a few years in a separate category. I dont think the baby should be thrown out with the bath water though like the transition from 2 to 4 strokes. Give em a separate category and see if the main competition migrates over by themselves rather than some rule forcing teams into a category.

I do think they will be less interesting for a crowd to watch though purely for the shock and awe sound factor that an audience enjoys.

2c
crowe660
Fantasy
3962nd
9/28/2021 5:48pm
I can’t wait for Honda to drop theirs.
lestat
9/28/2021 6:22pm
Kids these days like electric …. Cars bikes scooters skateboards one wheels … all of it . And they are the ones who will decide what direction the sport goes .
agn5008
Fantasy
343rd
9/28/2021 6:43pm
bigk218 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Not for me, man…it’s the absolute worst part of owning dirt bikes…I’m glad I can afford to pay someone to do all but the preventative maintenance...

bigk218 wrote:
That’s cool man. cool that you’re out riding though. Not everyone’s mechanically inclined. Some of the most memorable moments with my dad was grinding in the...
That’s cool man. cool that you’re out riding though. Not everyone’s mechanically inclined. Some of the most memorable moments with my dad was grinding in the garage late at night changing filters, oil, mixin gas, top end rebuilds. Taught me a lot.
I’m not mechanically inclined at all. I’ll do the basic stuff but that’s about it. My memorable moments have been riding with my dad but I honestly wish he had sat down with me when I was younger and showed me how to actually work on the bikes.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
9/28/2021 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 6:53pm
As someone who does maintenance for a living, the last thing I want to do when I get off work is go work more on my own bike. My 450 is collecting dust, the need of maintenance is a hurdle stopping me from getting out every once in a while, I just don't have the time to devote to it any more. If any of the major manufacturers had an Alta level bike on the market, I would be looking very hard at it.

If all I had to do was plug it in, hop on, and ride, you can bet I would've spun a moto after work today.
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
9/28/2021 7:00pm
davis224 wrote:
As someone who does maintenance for a living, the last thing I want to do when I get off work is go work more on my...
As someone who does maintenance for a living, the last thing I want to do when I get off work is go work more on my own bike. My 450 is collecting dust, the need of maintenance is a hurdle stopping me from getting out every once in a while, I just don't have the time to devote to it any more. If any of the major manufacturers had an Alta level bike on the market, I would be looking very hard at it.

If all I had to do was plug it in, hop on, and ride, you can bet I would've spun a moto after work today.
I hear ya. Like they say, you know who in the neighborhood is a landscaper because they have the tallest grass.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/28/2021 8:45pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I dont think the Ebikes will "grow" the sport but they wont hurt it either, more options is better for everyone and I would think most...
Titan1 wrote:
You might be right, maybe they won't grow the sport...I know I'm not an expert...all I know is that two little boys-who have never ridden, and...
You might be right, maybe they won't grow the sport...I know I'm not an expert...all I know is that two little boys-who have never ridden, and whose parents have never ridden-spent part of an hour riding an e-bike (when they wouldn't touch an ICE bike, with many opportunities) and are now asking their parents for a bike...and can't wait to go back out. I'm sure they aren't the only kids in the world/country who would have a similar experience....so you are absolutely right in that they won't hurt the sport.
Yep,I think the kids small bike market might be the cash cow of the E bike market. Cool
JamesReed
9/28/2021 8:47pm
Warehouse tracks FTW!! Also tons of suburban areas where nosey neighbors make it impossible for a backyard track these days, where electrics would be totally fine. And yes, water the damn track in the summer or don't ride. I'd have to do that for myself anyways, cuz I dry clothes outside when it's hot.
JamesReed
9/28/2021 8:49pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
You might be right, maybe they won't grow the sport...I know I'm not an expert...all I know is that two little boys-who have never ridden, and...
lostboy819 wrote:
Yep,I think the kids small bike market might be the cash cow of the E bike market. Cool
Titan1
9/28/2021 8:56pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Right…they get into it as kids…and grow out of the ebikes and into bigger ice bikes…thus growing the sport.
mxtech1
9/28/2021 9:00pm
Can’t complain about the boys having to wait for the battery to charge after draining it in an hour.

Think of it this way…..In all reality, the gas mini would have never even left the garage in that setting, like you said due to the noise and being in town.

So you aren’t “down and out” waiting for the next charge, you are +1 hour of riding time that was never even a possibility with the gas mini. You do that a few times a week, that turns into what 8 to 10 hours EXTRA riding time per month. That’s awesome.

We need the opportunity for kids to jump on the bike after school and go ride in the empty field down the road without disturbing the piece.

Getting kids hooked on motorcycles is about building up that sense of freedom and experience which grows the sport.
JamesReed
9/28/2021 9:34pm
crowe660 wrote:
I can’t wait for Honda to drop theirs.
Mugen E Rex, or bust..BlushWoohoo

9/28/2021 9:45pm
Titan1 wrote:
I just picked up a Husky EE-5 for my son last night...he also has a KTM50sx...I didn't have time to run him to the desert today...but...

I definitely agree that it will help grow the sport!
Richy
9/29/2021 1:43am
It certainly will grow it in the UK, I guess there's less of a space / noise concern in the US but like the Op said it even comes into play there.

So many tracks here, legitimately owned and run tracks on private property, are still limited to a handful of race days and no practice days per year here due to boring assholes with no life sat at home whining about some noise at the weekend.

I guess it'd help a lot with the kids who are initially scared of the noise and powerband of 'real engines' too, though that's a tiny piece of it.

Either way, I also have a lot of love for working on bikes, as long as I still find time to ride them, and any pollution or anything from some dirtbikes is miniscule compared to industry / international travel / daily vehicles so I hope the 'proper' bikes still get to stretch their legs for a long time yet.

Post a reply to: I'm kinda thinking e-bikes could really help "grow the sport"...

The Latest