If you're Weston do you...

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
2/14/2019 1:03pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
I think he keeps racing, he will make more than a million in salary over the next 4 to 5 years so why not keep doing...
I think he keeps racing, he will make more than a million in salary over the next 4 to 5 years so why not keep doing what you love to do and get paid to do it? It was a freak accident, it's not like he keeps blowing a knee or shoulder ever year and can't ride. He will heal up and be fine to race the next handful of years.

If he had another super serious injury then yes, I would take the money and run.
I have no clue how much money most of these guys make. Is Peick really making $200k+ in salary right now? He's 28 years old. Can he still command that kind of salary into his 30's (assuming he heals)?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
2/14/2019 1:11pm
A million bucks will not last long in Southern CA, but if he can take it and get a job that's probably the best path for...
A million bucks will not last long in Southern CA, but if he can take it and get a job that's probably the best path for him. I don't see him and his lady wanting to move to the sticks to live on rice and beans for the rest of their lives.
RichieW13 wrote:
I don't know about that. You could invest $1M in the stock market and earn about 10% return per year. So that would be $100,000 passive...
I don't know about that. You could invest $1M in the stock market and earn about 10% return per year. So that would be $100,000 passive income. Then, if he got a job on top of that making $75k-$100k, that's not a bad income even in So Cal.
Have you ever tried to get 10% annually in the stock market? You need a crystal ball to time it right, and when you sell you...
Have you ever tried to get 10% annually in the stock market? You need a crystal ball to time it right, and when you sell you pay capital gains tax. The market has had a 10yr run and is due for a big correction soon. It might dump in the next couple years. So what happens when his 1M turns into 750k in a few days? I'm surprised everyone here thinks it's so easy to get 10% on your money. It's not realistic.

If anything, real estate would be a safer investment in the long term if you buy in the right area.

I agree 1M could go a long way in other states, but we are talking about a certain couple and lifestyle here, not just your average Joe and Joe-ette...
Yeah. I have a Vanguard fund that has returned 16% over the last 10 years.

I have a Voya account that has returned 14% over the last 2 years.
2/14/2019 1:19pm
RichieW13 wrote:
I don't know about that. You could invest $1M in the stock market and earn about 10% return per year. So that would be $100,000 passive...
I don't know about that. You could invest $1M in the stock market and earn about 10% return per year. So that would be $100,000 passive income. Then, if he got a job on top of that making $75k-$100k, that's not a bad income even in So Cal.
Have you ever tried to get 10% annually in the stock market? You need a crystal ball to time it right, and when you sell you...
Have you ever tried to get 10% annually in the stock market? You need a crystal ball to time it right, and when you sell you pay capital gains tax. The market has had a 10yr run and is due for a big correction soon. It might dump in the next couple years. So what happens when his 1M turns into 750k in a few days? I'm surprised everyone here thinks it's so easy to get 10% on your money. It's not realistic.

If anything, real estate would be a safer investment in the long term if you buy in the right area.

I agree 1M could go a long way in other states, but we are talking about a certain couple and lifestyle here, not just your average Joe and Joe-ette...
RichieW13 wrote:
Yeah. I have a Vanguard fund that has returned 16% over the last 10 years. I have a Voya account that has returned 14% over the...

Easy to make a good return over the last 10 years...but your gains are on paper. Did you buy/sell in and out of your fund every year to clear 10% profit annually after capital gains tax? If not, your gains will be on paper until you decide to sell some day when you are 60, and until then your funds are tied up. There's a lot of people under the assumption that 1M will pay you/clear you 100K per year...
jeffro503
2/14/2019 1:22pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
I think he keeps racing, he will make more than a million in salary over the next 4 to 5 years so why not keep doing...
I think he keeps racing, he will make more than a million in salary over the next 4 to 5 years so why not keep doing what you love to do and get paid to do it? It was a freak accident, it's not like he keeps blowing a knee or shoulder ever year and can't ride. He will heal up and be fine to race the next handful of years.

If he had another super serious injury then yes, I would take the money and run.
RichieW13 wrote:
I have no clue how much money most of these guys make. Is Peick really making $200k+ in salary right now? He's 28 years old. Can...
I have no clue how much money most of these guys make. Is Peick really making $200k+ in salary right now? He's 28 years old. Can he still command that kind of salary into his 30's (assuming he heals)?
He's making a lot more than that on salary me thinks. Smile

The Shop

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
2/14/2019 1:22pm

RichieW13 wrote:
Yeah. I have a Vanguard fund that has returned 16% over the last 10 years. I have a Voya account that has returned 14% over the...

Easy to make a good return over the last 10 years...but your gains are on paper. Did you buy/sell in and out of your fund every...
Easy to make a good return over the last 10 years...but your gains are on paper. Did you buy/sell in and out of your fund every year to clear 10% profit annually after capital gains tax? If not, your gains will be on paper until you decide to sell some day when you are 60, and until then your funds are tied up. There's a lot of people under the assumption that 1M will pay you/clear you 100K per year...
True, not all years will be exactly 10%. So for those years, you have to decide whether you take only the actual gains or eat into the principal to get to your expected $100k.
2/14/2019 1:29pm
BigDaddyG wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
I have no clue how much money most of these guys make. Is Peick really making $200k+ in salary right now? He's 28 years old. Can...
jeffro503 wrote:
I have no idea either, what do you think a rider like Weston makes between his salary and all sponsors?
jeffro503
2/14/2019 2:02pm
RichieW13 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
I have no idea either, what do you think a rider like Weston makes between his salary and all sponsors?
Well , I'm not his accountant , but if I had to take a guess it would be in the neighborhood of about 350 - 400K. ( On salary alone ). That's about normal for guys that are the usual 4th - 12th place factory guys I think. Every team pay's differently , and name recognition mean's a lot.
Panic_Rev
2/14/2019 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 7:54pm
gnarwhip wrote:
I would, then put that in a Vanguard index fund. He could earn 10% and make six figures annually.
Panic_Rev wrote:
If that is your expectation of the market you have some hard life lessons ahead of you.
RichieW13 wrote:
The market has been rough the past year. But here's a Vanguard fund that has returned an average of 10% since 1959: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/performance/vwusx
Averages are great an all, but do not tell the whole story when generating income. During that time frame I bet there are periods of negative yield. How much of your portfolio do you have to liquidate in a down market to generate your 6 figure income? When the market does rebound you will not have as many shares and run the risk of running out of money if your depletion rate is to aggressive.
Crush
2/14/2019 9:23pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well , I'm not his accountant , but if I had to take a guess it would be in the neighborhood of about 350 - 400K...
Well , I'm not his accountant , but if I had to take a guess it would be in the neighborhood of about 350 - 400K. ( On salary alone ). That's about normal for guys that are the usual 4th - 12th place factory guys I think. Every team pay's differently , and name recognition mean's a lot.
Yeah I completely guessed based on some other figures I'd heard... Think Matthes/JT etc were speculating that Seely is maybe 3-400K... I'd assume he's paid more than Peick at any rate as a race winner, and riding for Big Red vs JGR, which J-Bone just said in a pod that they don't pay like the other mfgs since James – wasn't worth it to them.

Even if you said 500 which you'd assume is the top (right?) then if he has 3-4 years, yeah that's more, but at what risk.

It's not like he takes an insurance payout and can never work again.
Question
2/15/2019 1:44pm

Sorry to go back to this thread, it is not my business and we all debated, but we all agree that it is expensive to live, to live in cali, and to live the A life.

What I just wanted to say is this accident should promote the riders to take insurances, weither it is for health and for a life accident.

I just wanted to insist on that, because particularly in the US, with the healthcare system, it is very quickly very costly. It won't change my life but I am glad that maybe the only positive thing coming from this thread is it may change the viewpoint of people who are close to riders and youngsters, and they will help them to understand that securing themselves on and off the bike is very important, just in case.

Compared to the 80's or the 90's, I think that part improved in MX.

Post a reply to: If you're Weston do you...

The Latest