If you're Weston do you...

Crush
Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 1:45pm
Catching up on moto-pods. Somewhere along the line they were discussing Weston's situation, they believed he has an end-of-career insurance payout waiting if he wanted it.

Assuming it's a million, would you guys take it if you were him?

I kinda feel like I would. He's 26 or 27, so probably got like 4 plus years left at a good swing... getting married.

Assume he's made some reasonable money the last few years, he could walk away with this fat check. Complete guess but he maybe makes a quarter of that a year?

What say you?
|
Cancerman
2/12/2019 9:16pm
A Mil doesn't go far these days at 28 years old. Better invest in himself, and not buy anything. Has another 50 or so years to live, better think long term.
Texas Built
2/12/2019 9:33pm
That fiance' of his LOVES the spotlight. A million won't be much after taxes and the wife's expensive taste.
gnarwhip
2/12/2019 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 10:10pm
I would, then put that in a Vanguard index fund. He could earn 10% and make six figures annually.

The Shop

2/12/2019 10:35pm
That fiance' of his LOVES the spotlight. A million won't be much after taxes and the wife's expensive taste.
Pretty sure she brings home plenty of bread herself..
2/12/2019 10:52pm
Pretty sure she brings home plenty of bread herself..
What gives you that impression? The 1500 Instagram photos of herself? Meh.
ledger
2/12/2019 11:31pm
Take the money and pay off the mortgage. Hire a CPA that has a good track record to invest the rest.
Crush
2/12/2019 11:32pm
I would rather see him racing
As him, or as you?

Yeah it's great that there out there racing but he's suffered a massive injury that easily could have been game over. The second he lines up I believe this chance goes away and it's not like he's first year.

Interesting to ponder, I'd guess he comes back. If it was me, and assuming financially I'm already ok, I think i'd be looking at how else I can get my thrills and move on.
Awood
Fantasy
4211th
2/13/2019 12:20am
You're a dirtbag
DanDunes818
2/13/2019 12:27am
That's an awesome question Crush. Not used to seeing those here. Wink I've been sitting here for a while thinking about it and really without more info on where Weston's at, it's too tough a tougher question to even ponder.

Being honest though (if the number is a million) at 28 years-old, I take it after what he's been through. I'm not Weston, though, and that kid is obviously a much tougher son of a bitch than I.

He was so damn close to finally getting to that ultimate goal and it's not like his path was paved for him. He and his pops together used dynamite, bulldozers and a lot of their own blood and money to cut his path. His career path to where he is has got to make that decision tougher for him than most in his spot.

It's got be a hard of a pill to swallow and knowing his dad, this has to be killing him too. Louie and Weston have that moto relationship we all could only dream of having with our kids. Together they were kicked, punched, told no, chased fair races together, and did ANYTHING it fucking took to get to where they are now and then this? Fuck, I'm mad for them typing that. Fuck you moto gods, fuck you!

All in all, though, before I could make a real decision, I'd need to know everything and I'm sure if it's a million dollars they are going over it all in their heads over and over. Questions like, what's his chance of full recovery? If he can only make say a 90% recovery, how vital to racing is that 10% he's missing? Is the risk greater now than it was before to race with the injuries he's sustained even if he make a quote on quote, full recovery?

Even with all that said, I have a weird feeling that if Weston has any chance of getting back to where he was, they'd light that million dollars on fire and ride to the starting gate.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
2/13/2019 12:34am
Take away the ability to do what you love for money seems like a recipe for hard regret later in life.
jemcee
2/13/2019 12:37am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 1:31am
I would rather see him racing
Crush wrote:
As him, or as you? Yeah it's great that there out there racing but he's suffered a massive injury that easily could have been game over...
As him, or as you?

Yeah it's great that there out there racing but he's suffered a massive injury that easily could have been game over. The second he lines up I believe this chance goes away and it's not like he's first year.

Interesting to ponder, I'd guess he comes back. If it was me, and assuming financially I'm already ok, I think i'd be looking at how else I can get my thrills and move on.
Yep! Speaking as a 40 year old that's paid a fairly hefty price for riding MX I can say there's bigger things in life and the rest of your life is a long time...
Buuut I'd say if I was speaking as a 20-30 year old I'd prob have a different opinion.. Well I guess I did have a different opinion, the fact that MX is dangerous isn't exactly a secret haha..

So like you, I'd say he comes back but I kinda hope he doesn't..
tek14
2/13/2019 1:00am
Well is his other eye vision doesnt come back he dont have other way. I dont see his other injuries would be problem as all bones will be strong as before and most of metal is removed. If you live your life for motos im sure he would try his all to avoid this bee his career ending.
Question
2/13/2019 1:13am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 1:13am
I think I would, but I would try to stay close enough to JGR so that I can be involved in developing them (exemples: riding coach, or young rider detections, or riding school, or in marketing such as bringing a little range of JGR products, made in house or outsourced)

That should also give him access to nice bikes and nice tracks, and depending on the insurance policy clauses, maybe he could still ride 3 to 5 races per year from like 2021 (as a fill in for JGR, or as a marketing strategy to attract quite some lights for special events such as A1, Daytona, Hangtown, MEC, RBSR, and also for races that pay well).
2/13/2019 1:21am
I just hope he recovers and gets his eyesight back. Wherever he goes from there, I wish him the best of luck. Motocross isn’t everything, his health matters more.
2/13/2019 1:31am
What spotlight?
maybe the glamour pic she puts up of herself when its about westons injury. i would think a pic of weston may have been of interest. even keefer hit the unfollow button after that
jemcee
2/13/2019 1:36am
What spotlight?
cablecable wrote:
maybe the glamour pic she puts up of herself when its about westons injury. i would think a pic of weston may have been of interest...
maybe the glamour pic she puts up of herself when its about westons injury. i would think a pic of weston may have been of interest. even keefer hit the unfollow button after that
That did strike me as weird as well but hearing her talk about Weston and the injuries in interviews and stuff I'm pretty confident her heart is in the right place..

But that said I've been fooled by a pretty girl on more than one occasion haha
2/13/2019 1:44am
I'd take the mil. I'm sure he can get a nice cushy job in the industry making 100k yr. I dont know where he is on his contract or know what he makes yearly, even if he does race again does he have 4 years left at the factory level? Imo, he would be ahead of the game getting 1 mil to "walk away" vs trying to make 1 million in the next 4 years
Jrewing
2/13/2019 1:58am
What spotlight?
cablecable wrote:
maybe the glamour pic she puts up of herself when its about westons injury. i would think a pic of weston may have been of interest...
jemcee wrote:
That did strike me as weird as well but hearing her talk about Weston and the injuries in interviews and stuff I'm pretty confident her heart...
That did strike me as weird as well but hearing her talk about Weston and the injuries in interviews and stuff I'm pretty confident her heart is in the right place..

But I’m sure it was worth it!!!
Flip109
2/13/2019 1:58am
I’m sure he’s made pretty good money and has some put away and enough to pay off a house if he hasn’t already. If that is the case, I’d take a mil pay out and invest it and just let it grow the next 20 or so years. With his connections in the industry he could get a good job coaching or training and still ride for fun on the side. Seems like a win win for me after an injury like that. That being said, I’m not sure how big his internal fire is still burning for success in the sport or how much longer he was looking to race. You only live once and if he wants to accomplish more and thinks he’s can get back up there I will be a fan the whole way. Best of luck to him no matter what.
Jrewing
2/13/2019 2:00am
Who knows of it’s a million or more. Big difference between 1 or 2 million.
2/13/2019 2:08am
Awood wrote:
You're a dirtbag
Naah,not me.
As cable has said above and clearly you’ve missed it.Glamour pics of her to talk about Weston’s injury.
That’s some dirtbag shit.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
2/13/2019 2:44am
I can't see a 5th to 10th place guy and that's realistically were he'd be at best rn earning more that 250G a year these days. Hell Hill hasn't broke to 10 yet and he's a talented mofo. And
Trying make that insurance money via racing is hard. Not to speak of the risk of more injuries. Maybe bank the money and take a job at Fly or something and use that interest to buff out your wage.
Mr. Info
2/13/2019 2:50am
Let’s let Weston decide. It’s his life.
Crush
2/13/2019 3:11am
Mr. Info wrote:
Let’s let Weston decide. It’s his life.
No shit.

Do you think anything written here would have any influence?

It's purely a hypothetical about a rider for conversation on a moto-board.
jemcee
2/13/2019 3:16am
cablecable wrote:
jemcee wrote:
That did strike me as weird as well but hearing her talk about Weston and the injuries in interviews and stuff I'm pretty confident her heart...

Jrewing wrote:
But I’m sure it was worth it!!!
Haha every time
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
2/13/2019 4:15am
It’s got to be a little heavier on him that everyone’s coined him as mr tough cement eater guy. Of course he’s tough, but he has every right to make a decision either way on hanging it up. His health and future are far more important than racing. I hope he does what he truly feels is best for him and doesn’t worry about others expectations.

As for his lady..if you have Instagram look at the timeline of photos before the crash, when it happened, and now after. From the outside looking in, she certainly seems more concerned with her vanity than him as a person. Hopefully that’s just because we’re outsiders but the internet tends to amplify people’s personalitys pretty well.
2/13/2019 4:46am
It’s got to be a little heavier on him that everyone’s coined him as mr tough cement eater guy. Of course he’s tough, but he has...
It’s got to be a little heavier on him that everyone’s coined him as mr tough cement eater guy. Of course he’s tough, but he has every right to make a decision either way on hanging it up. His health and future are far more important than racing. I hope he does what he truly feels is best for him and doesn’t worry about others expectations.

As for his lady..if you have Instagram look at the timeline of photos before the crash, when it happened, and now after. From the outside looking in, she certainly seems more concerned with her vanity than him as a person. Hopefully that’s just because we’re outsiders but the internet tends to amplify people’s personalitys pretty well.
Don’t believe everything you see on Social Media

Post a reply to: If you're Weston do you...

The Latest