If you were wondering what happened with Alta..

nickm
Edited Date/Time 4/3/2021 1:22pm
Looks like that money to buy Alta has turned into an electric model lineup for them:

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/brp-introduce-el…

BRP TO INTRODUCE ELECTRIC MODELS FOR EACH OF ITS PRODUCT LINES BY THE END OF 2026
BRP presented e-concepts of Sea-Doo and Ryker models among others and introduced the Rotax Sonic E-Kart in 2019.

BRP to invest $300 million over the next five years to electrify its existing product lines by the end of 2026.
The first product is expected to be introduced to the market within the next two years, followed by a rapid roll-out across all product lines.
BRP is developing its Rotax modular electric powerpack technology in-house which will be leveraged across all product lines.
BRP is creating an Electric Vehicle Development Centre in Canada, which will focus on the “energy side”: the charger and the battery pack, as well as the complete integration into the vehicle, and a second pole of development in Austria, which will focus on the “torque side”: the inverter and the high performance electric motor.
BRP is actively recruiting to expand its EV team of experts.
Valcourt, Quebec, March 25, 2021 – BRP (TSX: DOO; NASDAQ: DOOO) announced its five-year plan where it will offer electric models in each of its product lines by the end of 2026. To achieve this, BRP plans to invest $300M over five years in product development, specialized equipment, infrastructure, production tooling and facilities.

“We have always said electrification was not a question of ‘if’ but a question of ‘when’. Today, we’re very excited to unveil more details of our plan to deliver market-shaping products that will enhance the consumer experience by offering new electric options,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO. “We are leveraging our engineering know-how and innovation capabilities to define the best strategy for developing electric-powered products,” he added.

After developing and evaluating several concepts, BRP has made the bold decision to develop its Rotax modular electric powerpack technology which will be leveraged across all product lines enhancing the consumer experience by offering new electric options. To achieve this, BRP is expanding its Rotax electric power unit development infrastructure in Gunskirchen, Austria, and is also creating the BRP Electric Vehicle Development Centre, located in its hometown of Valcourt, Quebec, Canada. This facility will feature state-of-the-art equipment, including several sophisticated test benches and dynamometers, plus an ultramodern robotized manufacturing cell for electric batteries.

“We are thrilled to create our EV expertise centre, taking steps into the world of electrification,’’ said Bernard Guy, Senior Vice-President, Global Product Strategy. “Experts on our EV team will feel the agility of a startup environment but will benefit from BRP’s financial resources and state-of-the-art equipment to design our in-house technology,” he added.

BRP’s electric path
In early 2019, BRP acquired assets of Alta Motors, an electric motorcycle manufacturer, and commercialized the Rotax Sonic E-Kart, which is currently in operation at the Rotax MAX Dome in Linz, Austria. A few months later, it showcased e-concepts at Club BRP 2019 to give a glimpse of what the future could hold for both its current product lines and for other potential segments. BRP has produced several battery-electric, hybrid-electric and even fuel cell-electric vehicles over the years. Today’s announcement brings BRP’s electric journey further into focus, with a clear vision and firm plans to roll out its electric products.

Expanding BRP’s electric vehicle development team
The R&D team is expanding quickly, and BRP is recruiting for several positions as it moves to the next phase of its electric propulsion technology development. With involvement from Quebec, Austria, Finland and the United States, BRP’s top talent worldwide, including hundreds of engineers and specialized technicians, will work together to develop and produce electric vehicles at BRP.

|
3/25/2021 6:51pm
What is Can Am going to do to my beloved Rotax factory. Electric torque?
Moto Nomad
3/25/2021 7:03pm
There is no turning back the electrification tide, bros. In 30 years we'll be like the local steam engine club, parading our antique ICE vehicles.Grinning
2035 is the inflection point and goal of many government policies.
CG118
3/25/2021 7:09pm
Damn Nostradamus. You are likely correct. Sad.

But I do like the idea of quiet bikes (relatively) and having a private track on a small piece of land. With electric, I only need about 5-10 acres. ICE engines would require a ton more to be covert; like 100-200 acres, or maybe more.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/25/2021 8:05pm
Grinning
I’m getting my 6 y/o nephew and EE5 for riding around the neighborhood and the local skate park...& I’m getting him a “50” just so he can say...
“I had an actual motorcycle!” when he’s all grown up & all his buddies are taking about “the old days”...and how people actually rode & even “raced” ICE powered motorcycles...
Grinning
nickm
3/27/2021 9:28am
I find you can see the trend now with automakers pushing out their last of the crazy ICE engines. Ford, Dodge and GM with their 700hp supercharged engines, Audi group pushing out their insane twin turbo V8s etc. All this followed up by announcements that they are no longer developing new ICE engines, just refining the ones they have.

Like it or not, this is the last of them, so buy em up now!!
philG
3/27/2021 9:31am
Moto Nomad wrote:
There is no turning back the electrification tide, bros. In 30 years we'll be like the local steam engine club, parading our antique ICE vehicles.:lol: 2035...
There is no turning back the electrification tide, bros. In 30 years we'll be like the local steam engine club, parading our antique ICE vehicles.Grinning
I disagree, i would rather eat my own shit than ride or drive an EV of any kind, so i will just stop.

As will lots of others.

They may as well just set fire to the money IMO . At least it will keep them warm.
bad juju
3/27/2021 9:40am
I think it will kill the aftermarket sector, FMF PC, Yosh. VP, Twin Air, ect. Suspension will still flourish.
cartel
3/27/2021 10:11am
philG wrote:
I disagree, i would rather eat my own shit than ride or drive an EV of any kind, so i will just stop. As will lots...
I disagree, i would rather eat my own shit than ride or drive an EV of any kind, so i will just stop.

As will lots of others.

They may as well just set fire to the money IMO . At least it will keep them warm.
Where's an iconic Adam Sandler joke when you need it?

duckdog77
3/27/2021 5:40pm
While I get the push for electric vehicles there’s still a long ways to go. Don’t see it happening in the next 14 years. Cars, dirt bikes, toys of sorts sure. They will become more popular. But getting the electrical grid to with stand a whole nation with electric everything is going to be a big undertaking.

Also Serious question....Are we even close to being able to haul with an EV? Half my buddies in the work force haul 10-20,000lb rigs to work and back. How all you guys getting your 35’ 5th wheel Toy haulers to lorettas? Forget about it. There’s still a long way to go.
zehn
3/27/2021 5:43pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
There is no turning back the electrification tide, bros. In 30 years we'll be like the local steam engine club, parading our antique ICE vehicles.:lol: 2035...
philG wrote:
I disagree, i would rather eat my own shit than ride or drive an EV of any kind, so i will just stop. As will lots...

As will lots of others.

Ok snowflake

Sounds like you’d rather not ride than ride something that doesn’t make brap noises. Classic snowflake behavior 😂
nickm
3/27/2021 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2021 6:11pm
bad juju wrote:
I think it will kill the aftermarket sector, FMF PC, Yosh. VP, Twin Air, ect. Suspension will still flourish.
I think the aftermarket is going to be selling a lot of software and a lot of high performance electronic components and a lot of bling, no different than they do now. If you thought they were making margin selling $1000 dollar pipes, wait till you see their smiles selling $1000 mapping downloads.
OldTiddler
3/27/2021 6:05pm
There will be huge subsidies and tax incentives (i.e. taxes and currency inflation paid for by the working class) for the market to develop EVs that meet everyone's needs.

Vehicles and market sectors that will still rely on ICE due to EV limitations like construction equipment, long haul trucks, etc. will become ridiculously expensive and sale and ownership highly regulated, but will still be around a long time. Prices of everything will keep going up sharply, gas being no exception.

There will be much more "pandemic"-related and other cultural changes going into the future so that many transportation needs we have today will be significantly reduced; for example, more people will work from home, more education from home, more shopping from home, etc, so that the limitations of EV range and charging will be manageable.

Few of us will still be riding in this golden future that awaits us. Younger generations will be educated to see sports such as this as socially and environmentally irresponsible.
nickm
3/27/2021 6:09pm
duckdog77 wrote:
While I get the push for electric vehicles there’s still a long ways to go. Don’t see it happening in the next 14 years. Cars, dirt...
While I get the push for electric vehicles there’s still a long ways to go. Don’t see it happening in the next 14 years. Cars, dirt bikes, toys of sorts sure. They will become more popular. But getting the electrical grid to with stand a whole nation with electric everything is going to be a big undertaking.

Also Serious question....Are we even close to being able to haul with an EV? Half my buddies in the work force haul 10-20,000lb rigs to work and back. How all you guys getting your 35’ 5th wheel Toy haulers to lorettas? Forget about it. There’s still a long way to go.
No problem, Volvo has electric concrete and garbage trucks all over Europe. Garbage trucks are very well suited to electric given that they start/stop a zillion times on their routes, Each stop recovers almost the same amount of juice that a start consumes.

https://www.volvotrucks.com/en-en/about-us/electromobility.html

New F150 electric and the Tesla are supposed to be rated to tow 15,000...don't forget an electric motor makes all its torque at 0 rpm (this is why electric cars accelerate so fast), Makes a Duramax diesel look weak by comparison.
Tim507
3/27/2021 6:15pm
I'd venture that the trailing wheels on a multi wheel rig will become generators offsetting the drive wheels usage to some %.
3/27/2021 6:20pm
bad juju wrote:
Why?
You think these companies are too dumb to adapt their product/services?

Successful businesses find new ways to adapt with a changing market. And they will do whatever it takes.
3/27/2021 6:27pm
32 years in the sport, 19 brand new bikes and I won’t buy another new bike......

UNTIL there’s a proper electric bike available from one of the big five!

Cheque book is waiting!
DAG
3/27/2021 6:29pm
We can tote our inefficient ICE generators out to the track to charge our electric bikes.
Nairb#70
3/27/2021 6:32pm
The prototype Sea Doo watercraft in the 1960's were nightmare for BRP ( Bombardier back then). The fuel systems, ignition systems and exhaust were not marine spec. and resulted in many fires and explosions from fuel in bilges and engine compartments. Just picture hoods blowing off and hulls melting on the water. With electric power coming I can only picture shocks, electrocution and water damaged components next. Hopefully BRP values life a little bit more than before.
user760a
3/27/2021 6:51pm
The desire to go all electric is much greater than the actual capabilities of the machines...maybe they will evolve. Maybe they won't . They are certainly nowhere near ready to replace ICE machines/vehicles at this point
bad juju
3/27/2021 7:54pm
bad juju wrote:
nickm wrote:
I think the aftermarket is going to be selling a lot of software and a lot of high performance electronic components and a lot of bling...
I think the aftermarket is going to be selling a lot of software and a lot of high performance electronic components and a lot of bling, no different than they do now. If you thought they were making margin selling $1000 dollar pipes, wait till you see their smiles selling $1000 mapping downloads.
working in the electronics industry for nearly 4 decades, my guess is "no" on getting to alter their software without voiding any warranty items, not to mention software to get in to modify and how much that would cost. its nothing for lets say Allen Bradley to charge 15k for instance. also depending on the type of drive they have the parameters do not have a lot of room for adjustments, this is an insurance policy to the effect to protect the system. I would like to tune one though, heat will kill the electronics I would think.
BAMX
3/27/2021 8:45pm
DAG wrote:
We can tote our inefficient ICE generators out to the track to charge our electric bikes.
In CA, we have rolling blackouts every time it gets hot but, we are going to use millions of extra KW's to charge all of this stuff. I'm sure that it will work out well.
Ridelow
Fantasy
251st
3/27/2021 8:57pm
Nairb#70 wrote:
The prototype Sea Doo watercraft in the 1960's were nightmare for BRP ( Bombardier back then). The fuel systems, ignition systems and exhaust were not marine...
The prototype Sea Doo watercraft in the 1960's were nightmare for BRP ( Bombardier back then). The fuel systems, ignition systems and exhaust were not marine spec. and resulted in many fires and explosions from fuel in bilges and engine compartments. Just picture hoods blowing off and hulls melting on the water. With electric power coming I can only picture shocks, electrocution and water damaged components next. Hopefully BRP values life a little bit more than before.
I have an electric hydrofoil (surfboard with a hydrofoil) electric with around 90 minutes runtime.
No issues being thrown around in the ocean, My buddy's shop sells alot of them and almost no issues experienced there either.

I dont think it will be much issue to combine batteries/electric motors and wiring if done correctly on larger crafts either..

With more improvements in battery technology and development these things will become even more awesome..

brocster
3/27/2021 9:00pm
user760a wrote:
The desire to go all electric is much greater than the actual capabilities of the machines...maybe they will evolve. Maybe they won't . They are certainly...
The desire to go all electric is much greater than the actual capabilities of the machines...maybe they will evolve. Maybe they won't . They are certainly nowhere near ready to replace ICE machines/vehicles at this point
Hope you are talking heavy machinery and tractor trucks because the Alta dirt bike was/is no joke. It is not a novelty item, it’s got more power than any weekend warrior needs. Also, out here, about 1 out of 10 to 15 vehicles on the road is an EV. It’s coming faster than you know.
user760a
3/27/2021 9:31pm
user760a wrote:
The desire to go all electric is much greater than the actual capabilities of the machines...maybe they will evolve. Maybe they won't . They are certainly...
brocster wrote:
Hope you are talking heavy machinery and tractor trucks because the Alta dirt bike was/is no joke. It is not a novelty item, it’s got more...
Hope you are talking heavy machinery and tractor trucks because the Alta dirt bike was/is no joke. It is not a novelty item, it’s got more power than any weekend warrior needs. Also, out here, about 1 out of 10 to 15 vehicles on the road is an EV. It’s coming faster than you know.
I have seen the Alta dirtbike in a bunch of Josh Hill's videos. Impressive.

I also noted that he appeared to travel each ride spot with two of them in the truck....guessing he could not even ride long enough on one charge to do a decent video shoot ...thus the spare bike.

When they figure out how to make E vehicles run as long as a tank of fuel , and recharge in two min...that is when they will be ready
dboivin
3/27/2021 9:47pm
i'm hearing brp has something up their sleeves in the boating industry that will probably turn some heads. they stopped making combustion boat motors last year for a reason. I heard they redesigning how you will think of boats and propulsion going forward. They are usually pretty big on making next gen stuff that gets adopted as the new norm...
dboivin
3/27/2021 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2021 9:51pm
keep in mind they originally bought out a flailing Evinrude about 16 years ago strictly to lock in Evinrudes E-tec (2stroke)technology...which they then rode that tech successfully for 15 years in sleds/boat motors....with lower emissions than most 4 strokers. imagine something good will be coming in the Electric flavor soon.
ZOBITO
3/27/2021 11:40pm
nickm wrote:
No problem, Volvo has electric concrete and garbage trucks all over Europe. Garbage trucks are very well suited to electric given that they start/stop a zillion...
No problem, Volvo has electric concrete and garbage trucks all over Europe. Garbage trucks are very well suited to electric given that they start/stop a zillion times on their routes, Each stop recovers almost the same amount of juice that a start consumes.

https://www.volvotrucks.com/en-en/about-us/electromobility.html

New F150 electric and the Tesla are supposed to be rated to tow 15,000...don't forget an electric motor makes all its torque at 0 rpm (this is why electric cars accelerate so fast), Makes a Duramax diesel look weak by comparison.
Yeah, electric and garbage are a perfect fit.

Post a reply to: If you were wondering what happened with Alta..

The Latest