If you had 2k to spend on a used 450.....

THEOUTSIDER
Which one would you buy and why?
Really appreciate you thoughts.

I am a 50 yr old vet. Been riding/racing since 1981. I was my fastest as an intermediate at 22. Raced till 04. Just looking to practice track ride. And desert trips. 5' 10" 210lbs. Thanks guys.

|
3/8/2017 10:13pm
The newest you can find, which has spent most it's life sitting in the garage, probably from another vet who takes a bit of care with his bikes.
Make doesn't matter for your budget, it's all about condition!
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/8/2017 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2017 10:14pm
Easy 2008 Honda crf450. That is what I did and it's a great bike.
BobPA
3/8/2017 10:20pm
I'd be nervous about any 4 stroke you can buy for $2k. Save another grand and get and older Kawi or Honda

The Shop

Crush
3/8/2017 10:53pm
I'd buy a two stroke if I only had $2K to spend... because you probably can't afford the rebuild when it blows up.
Lightning78
3/8/2017 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2017 11:09pm
Which one would you buy and why? Really appreciate you thoughts. I am a 50 yr old vet. Been riding/racing since 1981. I was my fastest...

I am a 50 yr old vet. Been riding/racing since 1981. I was my fastest as an intermediate at 22. Raced till 04. Just looking to practice track ride. And desert trips. 5' 10" 210lbs. Thanks guys.

Calm down those who will respond with do have some but not hundred percent renewable far greater chance of grenading a used four stroke if you buy a 250F. If you've been writing and recently since 1981 and 2000 for you probably a lot more adept to writing group if it were me I would get whatever I don't going to chance of having a major catastrophe with used 450 as you would with a used 250 four stroke because most 250f's are in such shape due to the bike having to be ridden at higher rpm's and more than likely used more for track riding. A 450 is more versatile and you might find one that has only received a handful of hours each year by a desert in the winter river in the summer weekend warrior. I browse craigslist regularly just to see what the market when I get back out and that they can't come soon enough but I do notice decent 450 is popping up for about $2500 and they're still quite a bit of two strokes 250s and 500s that you can find in great shape easily within your price range well maybe not 500s they're becoming rare and more valuable since a lot of them have become aluminum frame conversions but they're out there as well like I said if it were me I would get a used 2 stroke but you're not guaranteed to have a ticking time bomb on your hands by purchasing a used 450 even at your price point there are some out there that Will be well-maintained and in good enough shape that you shouldn't have any issues but it would be good to get the bike at once over before you buy it and potentially twice is the rule if you buy it and take it home just to be on the safe side
BobPA
3/8/2017 11:30pm
Which one would you buy and why? Really appreciate you thoughts. I am a 50 yr old vet. Been riding/racing since 1981. I was my fastest...

Calm down those who will respond with do have some but not hundred percent renewable far greater chance of grenading a used four stroke if you...
Calm down those who will respond with do have some but not hundred percent renewable far greater chance of grenading a used four stroke if you buy a 250F. If you've been writing and recently since 1981 and 2000 for you probably a lot more adept to writing group if it were me I would get whatever I don't going to chance of having a major catastrophe with used 450 as you would with a used 250 four stroke because most 250f's are in such shape due to the bike having to be ridden at higher rpm's and more than likely used more for track riding. A 450 is more versatile and you might find one that has only received a handful of hours each year by a desert in the winter river in the summer weekend warrior. I browse craigslist regularly just to see what the market when I get back out and that they can't come soon enough but I do notice decent 450 is popping up for about $2500 and they're still quite a bit of two strokes 250s and 500s that you can find in great shape easily within your price range well maybe not 500s they're becoming rare and more valuable since a lot of them have become aluminum frame conversions but they're out there as well like I said if it were me I would get a used 2 stroke but you're not guaranteed to have a ticking time bomb on your hands by purchasing a used 450 even at your price point there are some out there that Will be well-maintained and in good enough shape that you shouldn't have any issues but it would be good to get the bike at once over before you buy it and potentially twice is the rule if you buy it and take it home just to be on the safe side
Can anyone locate the three periods in this dumpster fire of a paragraph?
HenryA
3/8/2017 11:38pm
Probably really hard for 2K and you might have to stretch it a bit, but a low hour CRF450 2012
Plugga
3/9/2017 1:11am
Sidecar wrote:
Buy a KX500.... That's what I did.
Legend. Cool
Rotaholic
3/9/2017 1:36am
Any year rmz450, they're basically a 2017 without the BNG
Fearo
3/9/2017 1:37am
first, I would wack my self in the head until I came to my senses.

Then I would go looking for a 2005+ YZ250, install a flywheel and have the suspension revalved to make it as VET friendly as possible.

Then I would live happily ever after.
Mini Elsinore
3/9/2017 3:52am

Calm down those who will respond with do have some but not hundred percent renewable far greater chance of grenading a used four stroke if you...
BobPA wrote:
Laughing
JWACK
3/9/2017 4:29am
Myke wrote:
This. I bought mine used off craigs with literally 2 rides on it for 2200 in 2015. Didn't run. Needed a carb clean. Really really really good bikes.

JRT812
3/9/2017 4:44am
BobPA wrote:
Laughing
Lol, I found them. Starting the day off with a win.
JustMX
3/9/2017 5:11am

BobPA wrote:
Bonus if you can find all the questions he answered that were not even asked.
zacksavchuk
Fantasy
2391st
3/9/2017 5:22am

I picked up this 07 yz450f for $1500. I've had to replace wheel bearings and steering stem bearings and a rear tire. Good running bike, bought it off of a younger kid who could barely start it he was so small. it looked like it was just casually ridden so I picked it up. First thing I did was took it to get the valves adjusted. Valves were in spec and inside of the motor looked good. Sometimes you just have to search a little and be patient and you can find nice bikes under $2k.

Juice_Mann
3/9/2017 5:23am
BobPA wrote:
JustMX wrote:
Bonus if you can find all the questions he answered that were not even asked.
This guy must be related to Tyler.
zacksavchuk
Fantasy
2391st
3/9/2017 5:24am
Last year I picked up this 07 kawi 450 for $1800 off of an older vet woods rider. The kaw has been my favorite bike to date.
JSmith
3/9/2017 5:25am
Crush wrote:
I'd buy a two stroke if I only had $2K to spend... because you probably can't afford the rebuild when it blows up.
This
slipdog
3/9/2017 5:26am
It's a bit early to be drinking, Lightning, but after reading that I'm going to give it a shot!
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/9/2017 6:04am
Myke wrote:
JWACK wrote:
This. I bought mine used off craigs with literally 2 rides on it for 2200 in 2015. Didn't run. Needed a carb clean. Really really really...
This. I bought mine used off craigs with literally 2 rides on it for 2200 in 2015. Didn't run. Needed a carb clean. Really really really good bikes.

Yup great bikes. Mine needed nothing
3/9/2017 6:11am
BobPA wrote:
Laughing
JRT812 wrote:
Lol, I found them. Starting the day off with a win.
Got EEEEM
motosurf
3/9/2017 6:44am
Crf450, my cousin picked up and 05! Still runs like a champ and doesn't have any problems. My buddy has an 04, runs better than ever. I really don't see the problem with getting an older 450. Preferably a Honda. Shit my buddy has an 07 rmz250 and the thing still runs great.
Skerby
3/9/2017 6:54am
The 08 crf450 had more in common with the 2017 model than the 2016. Best 450 I have ever ridden, shit wen sideways for honda starting in 09.
mark_swart
3/9/2017 9:43am
Myke wrote:
X3

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/we-restore-a-2008-honda-crf450

I need to freshen mine up, it rides like a tank but does rip my arms out of the sockets.
X4. And 06 or 07 would probably be just fine too. Get the forks revalved ASAP and call it good! They went to the harder/longer lasting valve seats in 06.

I had an 05 and 06 and loved both of them.

An 08-09 YZ 450F wouldn't be a bad choice either, but I liked the Hondas handling better personally.

mxb2
3/9/2017 9:56am
Save $3500 more, buy new leftover 16 rmz 450. Solid new bike.

Post a reply to: If you had 2k to spend on a used 450.....

The Latest