"If you could change SX's bikes..."

bd
4/26/2021 12:58am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 1:00am
Lets blow the whole sport up! Fuck it.

I'm my opinion, greatest sport in the world as-is. Tracks do need more dirt. Ps. Two strokes aren't coming back.
4/26/2021 3:21am
It will never happen regardless but one can dream.

350s would be a good step however, the guys on the 250s can do every obstacle as it is anyway.

Ideally it would be 125s and 250 2 strokes, it will always showcase the talent.
navalseabee
4/26/2021 6:07am
In a perfect world... Go back to the greatest era....2 strokes only. 125cc class 250cc class Do away with the stupid start assists on the bikes...
In a perfect world...

Go back to the greatest era....2 strokes only.

125cc class
250cc class

Do away with the stupid start assists on the bikes.

While we're at it...get rid of the damn grates and blocks too.

While we're at it, let's go back to air cooled engines, twin shocks and drum brakes....

How long are you guys going to hang onto the 2-stroke thing. It's dead in pro MX/SX, get over it.

The Shop

Deadric
Fantasy
4135th
4/26/2021 6:23am
Nothing, Its good the way it is.
Alan Dove
4/26/2021 6:47am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 6:47am
While we're at it, let's go back to air cooled engines, twin shocks and drum brakes.... How long are you guys going to hang onto the...
While we're at it, let's go back to air cooled engines, twin shocks and drum brakes....

How long are you guys going to hang onto the 2-stroke thing. It's dead in pro MX/SX, get over it.
I'd put money on a move to 2-stroke increasing crowd numbers and viewing figures, and generally better reception within the paddock.

The problem is motocross, unlike something like karting which was never so culturally weak as to move to 4-stroke engines, is you relyon road-going manufacturers. But I reckon KTM would do it. TM would be do it. There's a whole ton of manufacturers who'd do it.
arebnac
4/26/2021 7:00am
We all know 2 strokes are not coming back (except for things like RedBull's Straight Rhythm or maybe in a Monster's Cup, who knows?) but it is so weird to think that more than 50% of mx/sx fans are crazy about 2 strokes. I agree that eyeball's numbers would grow in a heartbeat if 2strokes were brought back to the race tracks. They would sell more bikes too. The 125cc All Stars were a good example. Just look at the comments about the events among fans at the track. It was the pretty girl of the day. The comment session on RacerX's youtube highlights uploads are also a good example of fans all excited. Manufacturers, AMA, FIM and the brand's marketing teams KNOW this... It is so weird.

But its fine... We will eventually end up with electric bikes, complaining that "4 strokes were better" haha =/

mxb2
4/26/2021 7:03am
In a perfect world... Go back to the greatest era....2 strokes only. 125cc class 250cc class Do away with the stupid start assists on the bikes...
In a perfect world...

125cc class
250cc class

While we're at it, let's go back to air cooled engines, twin shocks and drum brakes.... How long are you guys going to hang onto the...

Dont post common sense. Some just cant let it go.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
4/26/2021 7:15am
Supercross
The current 250 class remains 250, but restrictions on modifications set in place
The current 450 class would race 250s, restrictions on modifications removed

Motocross
keep the same as it is now

This way the manufacturers don't have to re-invent the wheel, and they would not be producing a bike that the pros do not race

ElliotB16
4/26/2021 7:41am
450s have outgrown the stadiums, just like the bikes our grew the US open stadium.

The answer is put them on ttr230s and let the best rider win
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
4/26/2021 8:11am

Alan Dove wrote:
I'd put money on a move to 2-stroke increasing crowd numbers and viewing figures, and generally better reception within the paddock. The problem is motocross, unlike...
I'd put money on a move to 2-stroke increasing crowd numbers and viewing figures, and generally better reception within the paddock.

The problem is motocross, unlike something like karting which was never so culturally weak as to move to 4-stroke engines, is you relyon road-going manufacturers. But I reckon KTM would do it. TM would be do it. There's a whole ton of manufacturers who'd do it.
Yeah, 2-strokes are why Karting is on TV every Saturday then right?
4/26/2021 8:27am
arebnac wrote:
We all know 2 strokes are not coming back (except for things like RedBull's Straight Rhythm or maybe in a Monster's Cup, who knows?) but it...
We all know 2 strokes are not coming back (except for things like RedBull's Straight Rhythm or maybe in a Monster's Cup, who knows?) but it is so weird to think that more than 50% of mx/sx fans are crazy about 2 strokes. I agree that eyeball's numbers would grow in a heartbeat if 2strokes were brought back to the race tracks. They would sell more bikes too. The 125cc All Stars were a good example. Just look at the comments about the events among fans at the track. It was the pretty girl of the day. The comment session on RacerX's youtube highlights uploads are also a good example of fans all excited. Manufacturers, AMA, FIM and the brand's marketing teams KNOW this... It is so weird.

But its fine... We will eventually end up with electric bikes, complaining that "4 strokes were better" haha =/

100% on the electric and 4 stroke comparison, just wait until it's all traction controlled to perfection with only having one gear.
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
4/26/2021 8:28am
Should be 125 and 250f.
This would be perfect.

Or even 250 stock and 250 ‘mod’ this is the most realistic possibility with the manufactures but let’s be real.

Untill the manufactures start making anything other than 250 and 450s we will have the same 2 classes
ATKpilot99
4/26/2021 8:29am
ElliotB16 wrote:
450s have outgrown the stadiums, just like the bikes our grew the US open stadium. The answer is put them on ttr230s and let the best...
450s have outgrown the stadiums, just like the bikes our grew the US open stadium.

The answer is put them on ttr230s and let the best rider win
They have outgrown the stadiums . Tracks like we saw in Atlanta are perfect. The problem is I dont think you'd have enough speedways willing to host a SX to make an entire series.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/26/2021 8:39am
250 support and 250 supercross class. The support class rules are similar to a Lorettas modified class, no factory suspension.

250 Supercross uses current rules but written for a 250.
ShawdowGlen
4/26/2021 8:39am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 8:48am
In a perfect world...

125cc class
250cc class

Sensitive much? The thread is a "hypothetical".... if YOU could change SX bikes....get it?

However, it seems most overwhelmingly agree with me. 2 strokes were the greatest era. Truth hurts I guess.

It's a fact that 2 strokes took a higher skill level to ride at the highest level. DV recently said something to the effect of, if you f**ked up in a rhythm on a 2-stroke...you died...a 4-stroke, you just blip the throttle again. As usual, he is dead on.

I think most reasonable people agree... 4-srokes have outgrown supercross stadiums. They've made SX comparable to gymnastics. Start assist/start grates, practiced to death, blip, blip, blip that throttle. We're dangerously getting like NASCAR....read: boring. No wonder we're not growing.

ShawdowGlen
4/26/2021 8:47am
arebnac wrote:
We all know 2 strokes are not coming back (except for things like RedBull's Straight Rhythm or maybe in a Monster's Cup, who knows?) but it...

You nailed it.... most fans of the sport prefer the 2-smokes and everything else you said.

Electrics? Every video Ive seen of electrics bores the shit out of me.

A stadium filled with nothing but "wrrrrrr....wrrrrr....wrrrrrr".... .how exciting. Not. I will lose interest at that point as the sport will have devolved too far for my tastes.

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/26/2021 8:48am
Any bike, any displacement. Must be stock (limited mod rules defined to allow some tweaking, but eliminate the massive advantage of factory suspension).

At each round, the "Fast 80" is defined in combined, all rider qualifying. 1-40 go to the "premier" night show and 41-80 go to the lower tier class.

Both classes earn points for the combined season championship, but the "premier" class earns more points (weighted).

Must use the same make/model bike for the entire event. Tracks will be designed to create an advantage for certain types of bikes week to week but track maps will not be released in advance. Tracks will also be drastically different than they are now. No more cookie cutter designs with consistent jump heights and gaps that the riders do in their sleep. Riders might very well show up to a 1986 Anaheim replica.

So, you might see Webb on a 450 one week, a 250 the next. You might see a guy like Jett qualify in the Top 40 and win the premier class on a given night. You might see a guy like Roczen have a crappy qualifying session because he picked the wrong bike and go to the lower class for that night and lose some points.

And most of all, the tuff blocks in the 1st turn will be anchored solidly so as not to kick out and cause huge pileups and ruin the races.

spimx
4/26/2021 8:55am
125 2t and 350 4t

eliminate e start and efi and force the price of bike lower, since i really dont care about pro racing, im tiring to keep the local races and tracks alive and an unlimited class will only hurt that
sandtrack315
4/26/2021 9:18am
Anyone who thinks "stock" classes will be better for the sport, this would just cause the OEMs will just make more expensive stock bikes. If anything, allowing for totally works bike would make the consumer bikes simpler.
4/26/2021 9:32am
In a perfect world...

125cc class
250cc class

Do bikes with twin shocks and drum brakes get a displacement disadvantage in the rules?
4/26/2021 9:32am
Anyone who thinks "stock" classes will be better for the sport, this would just cause the OEMs will just make more expensive stock bikes. If anything...
Anyone who thinks "stock" classes will be better for the sport, this would just cause the OEMs will just make more expensive stock bikes. If anything, allowing for totally works bike would make the consumer bikes simpler.
Should be both.

Stock in the regional feeder class/ full works in premiere class.
arebnac
4/26/2021 11:02am
You nailed it.... most fans of the sport prefer the 2-smokes and everything else you said. Electrics? Every video Ive seen of electrics bores the shit...
You nailed it.... most fans of the sport prefer the 2-smokes and everything else you said.

Electrics? Every video Ive seen of electrics bores the shit out of me.

A stadium filled with nothing but "wrrrrrr....wrrrrr....wrrrrrr".... .how exciting. Not. I will lose interest at that point as the sport will have devolved too far for my tastes.

True. I think eDirt bikes on livestream and tv are kinda 'ok' (Moto-e, for example. That electric class in MotoGP) but its going to suck to watch it at the tracks. The worst part is that its "kinda predictable" that younger fans will rather watch sports on livestreams - not at the race tracks - so electrics will win anyway since less people will complain "on track" about the lack of noise. Not sure how tracks are going to make money losing fans year after year tho.
Brent
4/26/2021 11:06am
...from my perspective, a 450 is the most user friendly dirt bike ever made. They are not unrideable monsters, but you can't just whack the throttle open. They are wonderful, capable motorcycles for supercross.

If you want to lug it just click up a gear and it lugs. If you want to rev it, just keep it in second or third and it revs, and shit starts going by really quickly.

The newest 450's have the capability to be either a pussycat or a lion, depending on how you ride them.

SPODEBOY
4/26/2021 1:26pm

Indoor any stroke 125's East and West. . And any stroke Main class 250's.

Outdoors Strokers only. 250F's for the young-ans and 450F's for the big boys.

This will solve these problems.

1). We want 2 strokes
2). We want to slow down SX
3). We want a more balanced stepping stone for armatures
4). We don't want to kill either type of motor.
Johnny Depp
4/26/2021 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 1:39pm
You can’t expect riders in the worlds most prestigious series to run bikes that are slower than any weekend warrior can buy off the show room. That is never going to fly.

So many people are scared of an open class, but you would kill two birds with one stone. You would be letting the two strokes in, but no one would race them anyways, just like the MEC. We already have riders using their 250s successfully to qualify for the night show in the 450 class, not sure what the big deal is? 350s are legal right now if someone wants to run one.

I’m not sure why anybody is so worried about the bike size anyways, both classes tear up the track equally, and before every race we have a 15 to 20 minute break when they go out and make the track smooth again.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/26/2021 1:50pm
3 classes. 125, 250, & open (250 & up) . However many strokes you want
arebnac
4/26/2021 1:52pm
You can’t expect riders in the worlds most prestigious series to run bikes that are slower than any weekend warrior can buy off the show room...
You can’t expect riders in the worlds most prestigious series to run bikes that are slower than any weekend warrior can buy off the show room. That is never going to fly.

So many people are scared of an open class, but you would kill two birds with one stone. You would be letting the two strokes in, but no one would race them anyways, just like the MEC. We already have riders using their 250s successfully to qualify for the night show in the 450 class, not sure what the big deal is? 350s are legal right now if someone wants to run one.

I’m not sure why anybody is so worried about the bike size anyways, both classes tear up the track equally, and before every race we have a 15 to 20 minute break when they go out and make the track smooth again.
Wait what? 350 are legal in SX right now?
I know Cairolli used to run "not 450cc" bikes in MXGP a few years ago but I never heard 350cc were allowed in SX.
Thats interesting. No one is using tho.. (I think..)
navalseabee
4/26/2021 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 2:06pm
Sensitive much? The thread is a "hypothetical".... if [b]YOU[/b] could change SX bikes....get it? However, it seems most overwhelmingly agree with me. 2 strokes were the...
Sensitive much? The thread is a "hypothetical".... if YOU could change SX bikes....get it?

However, it seems most overwhelmingly agree with me. 2 strokes were the greatest era. Truth hurts I guess.

It's a fact that 2 strokes took a higher skill level to ride at the highest level. DV recently said something to the effect of, if you f**ked up in a rhythm on a 2-stroke...you died...a 4-stroke, you just blip the throttle again. As usual, he is dead on.

I think most reasonable people agree... 4-srokes have outgrown supercross stadiums. They've made SX comparable to gymnastics. Start assist/start grates, practiced to death, blip, blip, blip that throttle. We're dangerously getting like NASCAR....read: boring. No wonder we're not growing.

Complaining the sport is too unsafe/outgrown via 4T then quoting "if you fuck it up you die", makes total sense.

Post a reply to: "If you could change SX's bikes..."

The Latest