If you could buy any helmet right now, which would it be?

mxb2
5/16/2018 8:20pm
Brad460 wrote:
If I had an extra $500 laying around this would be mine: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/16/262257/s1200_509B8035_A852_49B8_A88E_90969BABA1C6.jpg[/img]
If I had an extra $500 laying around this would be mine:
Thats sick, any usa suppliers? I cdnt find any.
bvm111
5/16/2018 8:25pm
After wearing Shoei since 2001, I just bought a 6D ATR2 and love the way it looks and feels. The ATR1s are on sale since the new ones came out and can find one around 5-575 so they are more affordable!

swtwtwtw
5/16/2018 9:09pm
Arai has some close out colorways of their latest helmet vx4pro as low as 450 bucks at some shops too
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/16/2018 9:09pm
For Any of you guys wanting a Bell, if you have a friend racing Mammoth MX, all entries get a 40% off code.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/16/2018 9:15pm
I love lightweight and good airflow and that’s why the Leatt is my alltime favorite
gt80rider
5/16/2018 9:17pm
Shoei and TLD are the only two that really fit my head shape well.
Doddy
5/17/2018 12:03am
My Shoei fits my small head the best and was the most comfy. Feels fairly light. Definitely getting the new model when it's "time". The back bottom ridge of the helmet slightly rubs my Atlas brace though. Not enough to bother me, but enough that I notice it.
5/17/2018 1:37am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2018 1:39am
If you want the safest helmet, go with the 6D atr-2. do some research, you'll see they're the only company showing graphs in comparison to other helmets. There's a reason behind that...
Even the atr-1 is better than any other helmet right now and it's at 500$ right now. The Bell flex is probably good too, but the anti rotation system isn't as advanced as 6D. Same with TLD SE4. And rotational forces are the main reason for brian injuries.
Wouldn't recommend the shoei with all those edges as they could increase rotational forces. Looks good but is definitely a bit unsafer.
Do the research and the 6D will be.... A no brainer Grinning
CASH476
5/17/2018 6:25am
If you want the safest helmet, go with the 6D atr-2. do some research, you'll see they're the only company showing graphs in comparison to other...
If you want the safest helmet, go with the 6D atr-2. do some research, you'll see they're the only company showing graphs in comparison to other helmets. There's a reason behind that...
Even the atr-1 is better than any other helmet right now and it's at 500$ right now. The Bell flex is probably good too, but the anti rotation system isn't as advanced as 6D. Same with TLD SE4. And rotational forces are the main reason for brian injuries.
Wouldn't recommend the shoei with all those edges as they could increase rotational forces. Looks good but is definitely a bit unsafer.
I did some research, the 6D testing results published on their website are not transparent enough. Naming the brand and model of helmet that they are being compared to would add credibility to the marketing. You have no way of determining if they are any better (or worse) than a Moto9 flex because you can not determine if they were tested against them.

They may be the best helmet in the world, they may not and we may never know
Forty
5/17/2018 6:35am
If you want the safest helmet, go with the 6D atr-2. do some research, you'll see they're the only company showing graphs in comparison to other...
CASH476 wrote:
I did some research, the 6D testing results published on their website are not transparent enough. Naming the brand and model of helmet that they are...
I did some research, the 6D testing results published on their website are not transparent enough. Naming the brand and model of helmet that they are being compared to would add credibility to the marketing. You have no way of determining if they are any better (or worse) than a Moto9 flex because you can not determine if they were tested against them.

What helmet do you wear?
5/17/2018 7:34am
CASH476 wrote:
I did some research, the 6D testing results published on their website are not transparent enough. Naming the brand and model of helmet that they are...

I'm sure they would show you that it's the Moto-9 Flex and SE4 but the law suits would be flying in. If you do your research a bit more carefully than just looking at the graphs on their site, it will become pretty obvious that their technology is superior. I'm not saying this because I'm a 6D fanboy, those are facts. If Bell came up with a technology that worked better I'd switch in no time.
I'm really not trying to be a smartass or anything! I'm really interested in this topic and read a lot about it. But the ODS technology is the only one that actually dampens the rotational forces. You have a moving EPS part in the Bell and the MIPS layer is moving in the TLD, which is obviously a lot better than no system at all, but they aren't dampening the forces. Also not in all directions like the 6D (hence the name).
The only negative aspect could be the weight as they're a bit heavier than Moto-9s and SE4s (Shoeis for example have almost the same weight as an ATR-1). It shouldn't effect the forces in a big manner, though. And they reduced the weight on their new ATR-2 anyways...
Indy mxer
5/17/2018 8:05am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2018 9:32am
Ditto on this^.
I have an ATR-1 carbon and love it. Fits great and the quality is top notch. I'll be getting an ATR-2 soon.
A distant 2nd for me would be a Bell flex or TLD SE4 carbon.

Arai, are you kidding? 25 year old technology. If you're into retro, buy one.

There's a reason 6D won a half million dollars from the NFL. Plus they continue to improve and innovate their helmets.
msp332
5/17/2018 11:36am
I would choose something that's Snell M2015 certified. There aren't many; here's the complete list including street and snow helmets: https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015 (I plan to post the mx-only helmets as a separate post.)

The Snell standard is clearly the best linear-impact rating with the goal of preventing death (somewhere between 200g to 400g brain acceleration). The other prominent design theory is preventing concussions (limiting slower impacts to 60g to 120g), but there is no test standard or certification for this. 6D and Leatt both appear to be designing to this. Interestingly, neither one is Snell M2015 rated. Of course they're both DOT rated, but the lack of Snell certifications indicate how difficult it is to have a helmet designed for preventing both death from the hardest impacts and preventing concussions from lesser impacts. Leatt publishes independent test data on all their helmets. 6D gives some test information. Another recent theory is rotational impacts, which 6D and MIPS helmets aim to address (the MIPS website also has a list of all MIPS helmets).

I recommend reading the Snell Foundation's website. The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute's website at helmets.org also has good information.

Whatever you choose wear, please be informed and demand to see the test data. Rather than just asking Vital...
Evoracer
5/17/2018 11:45am
I want to like the 6D, but can't get one on my head, it seems they're sized on the smaller side. I wear a large in Shoei or Arai, and they fit great.
5/17/2018 11:53am
msp332 wrote:
I would choose something that's Snell M2015 certified. There aren't many; here's the complete list including street and snow helmets: [url=https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015]https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015[/url] (I plan to post the...
I would choose something that's Snell M2015 certified. There aren't many; here's the complete list including street and snow helmets: https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015 (I plan to post the mx-only helmets as a separate post.)

The Snell standard is clearly the best linear-impact rating with the goal of preventing death (somewhere between 200g to 400g brain acceleration). The other prominent design theory is preventing concussions (limiting slower impacts to 60g to 120g), but there is no test standard or certification for this. 6D and Leatt both appear to be designing to this. Interestingly, neither one is Snell M2015 rated. Of course they're both DOT rated, but the lack of Snell certifications indicate how difficult it is to have a helmet designed for preventing both death from the hardest impacts and preventing concussions from lesser impacts. Leatt publishes independent test data on all their helmets. 6D gives some test information. Another recent theory is rotational impacts, which 6D and MIPS helmets aim to address (the MIPS website also has a list of all MIPS helmets).

I recommend reading the Snell Foundation's website. The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute's website at helmets.org also has good information.

Whatever you choose wear, please be informed and demand to see the test data. Rather than just asking Vital...
I specifically looked for something that was NOT SNELL certified.

For a street helmet its fine but a dirt helmet linear impacts just don't interest me as much as a slower impacts that create concussions. I will be a 6D fanboy for life.
5/17/2018 4:27pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Ditto on this^. I have an ATR-1 carbon and love it. Fits great and the quality is top notch. I'll be getting an ATR-2 soon. A...
Ditto on this^.
I have an ATR-1 carbon and love it. Fits great and the quality is top notch. I'll be getting an ATR-2 soon.
A distant 2nd for me would be a Bell flex or TLD SE4 carbon.

Arai, are you kidding? 25 year old technology. If you're into retro, buy one.

There's a reason 6D won a half million dollars from the NFL. Plus they continue to improve and innovate their helmets.
Exactly this, in addition to all the other 6D converts in this thread. I’m about to upgrade to the ATR-2 and retire my ATR-1 to stand up JetSki riding and gooning around at the farm.
Bramlett321
5/17/2018 5:14pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Troy Lee Designs SE4

The ACT Lab data doesn't lie.
I just got that one and man it is light, comfortable, and the test results don’t hurt either!! I love it.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
5/17/2018 5:28pm
Leatt got my vote for this year.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/17/2018 5:41pm
I love my SE4 and Moto-9 Flex looks awesome but if I had to pick right now for sure it’s the 6D ATR2
TeamGreen
5/17/2018 6:17pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Troy Lee Designs SE4

The ACT Lab data doesn't lie.
I just got that one and man it is light, comfortable, and the test results don’t hurt either!! I love it.
Doesnt matter if it’s the $250 or $650 helmet, when you look at the overall ratings in ALL categories...at ACT, which is the newer and more current testing norm...

TLD is the way to go.

Go Ride your dirtbike!
navalseabee
5/17/2018 6:32pm
Brad460 wrote:
If I had an extra $500 laying around this would be mine: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/16/262257/s1200_509B8035_A852_49B8_A88E_90969BABA1C6.jpg[/img]
If I had an extra $500 laying around this would be mine:
mxb2 wrote:
Thats sick, any usa suppliers? I cdnt find any.
They look cool are super lite weight and vent well. I own one, i put myself to sleep in it for a few minutes from what my friends say "didnt look to bad". Went back to using Bell.... I know its not science but its good enough for me. I'd like to try an ATR-2 but no one around me stocks them.
Lynch
5/17/2018 10:16pm
The new 6D if it fits my head well.
50dippin
5/17/2018 10:24pm
I came from a suomy and an airoh because I love light helmets. After a small crash that completely destroyed one of the helmets shell, I figured it was time to get a helmet that would actually protect me in a real crash. Tried the 6d and it is simply way too heavy, felt like I had an anvil on my head. Bell and leatt didn't fit my head shape and were very unfomfortable for me. Ended up with a SE4 and have been very happy with it so far. Very comfortable, lighter than all but the sub 2lb paper thin helmets, and seems to have the data to back it up.
CASH476
5/17/2018 11:49pm
CASH476 wrote:

I'm sure they would show you that it's the Moto-9 Flex and SE4 but the law suits would be flying in. If you do your research...
I'm sure they would show you that it's the Moto-9 Flex and SE4 but the law suits would be flying in. If you do your research a bit more carefully than just looking at the graphs on their site, it will become pretty obvious that their technology is superior. I'm not saying this because I'm a 6D fanboy, those are facts. If Bell came up with a technology that worked better I'd switch in no time.
I'm really not trying to be a smartass or anything! I'm really interested in this topic and read a lot about it. But the ODS technology is the only one that actually dampens the rotational forces. You have a moving EPS part in the Bell and the MIPS layer is moving in the TLD, which is obviously a lot better than no system at all, but they aren't dampening the forces. Also not in all directions like the 6D (hence the name).
The only negative aspect could be the weight as they're a bit heavier than Moto-9s and SE4s (Shoeis for example have almost the same weight as an ATR-1). It shouldn't effect the forces in a big manner, though. And they reduced the weight on their new ATR-2 anyways...
I can't say which one of these helmets are better because I can't find any data specifically proving the 6d performs better than the Bell. It may perform 10x better but without a proper comparison it's just marketing.
Motofinne
5/18/2018 12:32am
msp332 wrote:
I would choose something that's Snell M2015 certified. There aren't many; here's the complete list including street and snow helmets: [url=https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015]https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015[/url] (I plan to post the...

This is just my opinion (and 6D:s too) but anyone looking for a MX helmet should actively look at buying a helmet without Snell rating.
mx4all
5/18/2018 12:42am
Im looking for a new helmet and I am into Bell moto 9 flex.. but speaking to a friend whos got one, he wracked his visor the second time running the helmet, and he cant get a hold of a new visor anywhere. Living in europe it seems impossible. I did find some visors on ebay but just in two colors and not the one hes looking for. Is it easy to buy Bell spare parts in US?

Maybe will go with 6D insteed if there is trouble finding spareparts for Bell.

Post a reply to: If you could buy any helmet right now, which would it be?

The Latest