If this is the future....

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/22/2018 11:09pm
I was there, the racing was awesome! I loved the format, different riders up front, intensity was high. I can’t wait for the next triple crown.
I like it also
IceMan446
1/22/2018 11:19pm
DYE wrote:
People bitch about Stew ghosting the sport after retiring but who could blame him. Dungey came back and trying to be involved but is being criticized...
People bitch about Stew ghosting the sport after retiring but who could blame him. Dungey came back and trying to be involved but is being criticized for not being good enough yet. Ralf, Jeff, Ricky not good enough. Program boring, guys check out, not good enough. Try something new to prevent checking out, not good enough. Can nobody just appreciate that we get live HD racing every week!?
Those guys doing all the bitching are the “core” guys didn’t ya know!!!

I like the change up, wish there wasn’t so much down time but other than that I’m cool with it. Good change of pace IMO

And to the people bitching, don’t watch until the nationals come on then. Problem solved.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
1/23/2018 12:07am
Feld doesn’t give a fuck what any of you think. They know you’re watching regardless. It’s those viewers that watch a round here and there when they’ve got nothing to do on Saturday night that they are trying to get. You’ve got to sell the tv package and if only moto riders watched, nobody would buy.
Johnny Depp
1/23/2018 5:37am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 5:48am
Good analysis in Cycle News on pg. 104=105 http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/930926-cycle-news-issue-3-january-23/10…

"The Triple Crown event isn't perfect, but if they could give the racers more track time, and award points for each of the main events - or, at a minimum some bonus championship points for winning any of the mains outright - it would probably be more popular."

The Shop

danman
1/23/2018 6:15am
Personally, I loved the format and I hope it stays. Tweak the points payouts a bit so a rider can make up more points due to missing a round. It just keeps things more interesting through the season. I think that the top 3 in each of the mains should get some points, maybe 3, 2, 1. That would really shake things up. Imagine 34/35 points for winning the whole night! That one missed/DNF race could be made up then.
The track sucked because it was too one lined, so that made it tougher to see better action. I think if they had this format on either of the first two races, we would have had better racing.
mauidex
1/23/2018 7:44am
yeah it definitely was a good twist.........they for sure need to give some kind of points for winning the "mains", at least top ten

I think the ultimate would be 2 mains each round with full points and maybe then just bonus for overall to top ten as well, just like 10 - 1 for top ten
MLewis59
1/23/2018 8:46am
I think it was a terrible track layout for this format... & that played a major role in viewers likes / dislikes. (small whoops , 90 degree turns , simpler rhythms that everyone did , a gate you could holeshot from almost anywhere .) There was just not much to separate the guys and not as many potential passing spots as usual .

Appeared to be Feld's version of an insurance policy to guarantee that chaos . All about making money and keeping more viewers engaged for the whole 3 hour broadcast... Will be interesting to see if they continue this for the other Triple Crown events..

I liked the triple crown in theory, I just personally would like to see it on a gnarly track . (Ex: Houston last week)

All just preference but I would like to see an extra championship point (1) awarded to each main event winner on the triple crown nights, even if its small it should be worth a little something-something.

bultokid
1/23/2018 9:05am
Feld doesn’t give a fuck what any of you think. They know you’re watching regardless. It’s those viewers that watch a round here and there when...
Feld doesn’t give a fuck what any of you think. They know you’re watching regardless. It’s those viewers that watch a round here and there when they’ve got nothing to do on Saturday night that they are trying to get. You’ve got to sell the tv package and if only moto riders watched, nobody would buy.
Problem is no casual fan/channel surfer is going to sit through that snooze-a-thon that was on the tube live. If that is their intent they should tape delay it and cut out the 27 commercials in a row between motos.
wreckitrandy
1/23/2018 9:33am
I certainly hope that it isn't the future direction of the sport.
sclark309d
Fantasy
1944th
1/23/2018 9:39am
DYE wrote:
People bitch about Stew ghosting the sport after retiring but who could blame him. Dungey came back and trying to be involved but is being criticized...
People bitch about Stew ghosting the sport after retiring but who could blame him. Dungey came back and trying to be involved but is being criticized for not being good enough yet. Ralf, Jeff, Ricky not good enough. Program boring, guys check out, not good enough. Try something new to prevent checking out, not good enough. Can nobody just appreciate that we get live HD racing every week!?
I agree. And it’s on FS1. To everyone complaining simply do not watch it live. It’s that easy...watch it the next day and fast forward the...
I agree. And it’s on FS1. To everyone complaining simply do not watch it live. It’s that easy...watch it the next day and fast forward the commercials. Problem solved
if everybody watched the next day, then what would everyone snivel about....oh wait, this is Vital....carry on.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
1/23/2018 11:11am
Weigandt said the total amount of commercials per hour is the same as a regular SX format.

I did the math on all the times.

At A1, there was a total of 78 minutes of racing.
At A2, there was a total of 70 minutes of racing.

So, at a minimum they should get part of the LCQ in the broadcast. Maybe give at least 2-3 minutes of LCQ highlights, if not show the whole thing. They could show it on delay.

The hard part is all the gaps.

At A1, there was a 6 minute gap between 250 Heat 1 and 250 Heat 2. 8 minutes between 250 H2 and 450 H1. 6 minutes between 450 H1 and 450 H2. Then 16 minutes between 450 H2 and 250 LCQ. Only 3 minutes between the LCQ's. Then 21 minutes before each main.

At A2, there was a 10 minute gap between 250 Main 1 and 450 Main 1. Then a ridiculous 32 minutes before 450 Main 1 and 250 Main 2. 32 minutes between racing just seems insane. It was another 10 minute gap until 450 Main 2. They tightened it up a little, and only a 21 minute gap between 450 Main 2 and 250 Main 3. Then 12 minutes to 450 Main 3.
1/23/2018 11:28am
Feld doesn’t give a fuck what any of you think. They know you’re watching regardless. It’s those viewers that watch a round here and there when...
Correct. They're not gonna grow the sport by pandering to a core of riders who obsess over privateers. Say whatever you want about Luongo, but he went in the other direction a long time ago.

Johnny Depp
1/23/2018 11:46am
Everyone complains about the time, and guess who is behind it all, the usual culprits.

" Break time

A lot of fans voiced that the breaks between races ran too long. It seemed like there were more commercials than usual. We asked Fox Sports’ Pete Richards this morning and he told us there actually weren’t more commercials than usual—any three-hour show on Fox Sports has 2 hours and 15 minutes of content and 45 minutes of commercials; this is standard TV practice. Anaheim 2 had the exact same amount of commercial time as Anaheim 1.

It probably felt like there were more commercials because they were stacked into that long break between gate drops.

The teams requested the long breaks. Feld Motor Sports’ Dave Prater confirmed that with us this morning. The teams are worried about fixing bikes between races if they have a mechanical problem. Teams had roughly 50 minutes between the end of one main and the start on another on Saturday night.

Feld is aware the breaks seemed long and will try to tighten them, but that will take some concessions from the teams."

http://racerxonline.com/2018/01/22/insight-everything-we-learned-from-t…
FlaNard
1/23/2018 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 12:17pm
Good analysis in Cycle News on pg. 104=105 http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/930926-cycle-news-issue-3-january-23/104?m4= "The Triple Crown event isn't perfect, but if they could give the racers more track time, and...
Good analysis in Cycle News on pg. 104=105 http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/930926-cycle-news-issue-3-january-23/10…

"The Triple Crown event isn't perfect, but if they could give the racers more track time, and award points for each of the main events - or, at a minimum some bonus championship points for winning any of the mains outright - it would probably be more popular."
A good read here. It ended up being 10% LESS actual racing time than the previous round AND the riders almost universally disliked it. I did like Reed's comment about how someone could end up in the history books as a Supercross winner without actually having ever won a race.
1/23/2018 12:21pm
Everyone complains about the time, and guess who is behind it all, the usual culprits. " Break time A lot of fans voiced that the breaks...
Everyone complains about the time, and guess who is behind it all, the usual culprits.

" Break time

A lot of fans voiced that the breaks between races ran too long. It seemed like there were more commercials than usual. We asked Fox Sports’ Pete Richards this morning and he told us there actually weren’t more commercials than usual—any three-hour show on Fox Sports has 2 hours and 15 minutes of content and 45 minutes of commercials; this is standard TV practice. Anaheim 2 had the exact same amount of commercial time as Anaheim 1.

It probably felt like there were more commercials because they were stacked into that long break between gate drops.

The teams requested the long breaks. Feld Motor Sports’ Dave Prater confirmed that with us this morning. The teams are worried about fixing bikes between races if they have a mechanical problem. Teams had roughly 50 minutes between the end of one main and the start on another on Saturday night.

Feld is aware the breaks seemed long and will try to tighten them, but that will take some concessions from the teams."

When everyone was crying about down time Saturday, I was thinking the same thing: The teams need a certain amount of down time. Not an easy fix.

But it's still better than two hours of qualifiers. Remember the "semi" days? Guys like Dungey and Roczen and Tomac would come out, ride in a tiny race, then "transfer directly to the main" and disappear while we sat through semi-finals and LCQs. Who actually thought that was a good idea? Hellloooooo DVR.
1/23/2018 12:29pm
FlaNard wrote:
A good read here. It ended up being 10% LESS actual racing time than the previous round AND the riders almost universally disliked it. I did...
A good read here. It ended up being 10% LESS actual racing time than the previous round AND the riders almost universally disliked it. I did like Reed's comment about how someone could end up in the history books as a Supercross winner without actually having ever won a race.
Well, that's always been the case. If you finished second every race, and the field was otherwise inconsistent, you'd have a great shot.

In 1982, Keke Rosberg won the F1 World Championship and won one race, and that wasn't until the 14th (of 16) races, and he didn't have to win that (second would've sufficed).

Prntscrn
1/23/2018 12:31pm
A good thing then in my opinion would be to not make it so damn complicated
Johnny Depp
1/23/2018 12:56pm
Good analysis in Cycle News on pg. 104=105 http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/930926-cycle-news-issue-3-january-23/104?m4= "The Triple Crown event isn't perfect, but if they could give the racers more track time, and...

FlaNard wrote:
A good read here. It ended up being 10% LESS actual racing time than the previous round AND the riders almost universally disliked it. I did...
The rider's will never like racing more for the same $. Give them points though, and they seem to change their tune.
FlaNard
1/23/2018 1:15pm

FlaNard wrote:
The rider's will never like racing more for the same $. Give them points though, and they seem to change their tune.
They raced less though. 10% less race time with the triple crown format.
1/23/2018 2:03pm
I agree with you in principal, but it wasn't necessarily more racing. Back in the "semi" days, most guys in the final raced three times. Guys who went through the LCQ raced four times. Same as Saturday night.

The only guys who raced less were the top dogs, who "transferred to the main" after one short race, and I always hated that anyway.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
1/23/2018 2:19pm
Intensity was through the roof, riding was aggressive, riders liked the format (unless they lost) it was phenomenal for racing!!
Did you even hear the press conference? The guys hated it. Too much chaos for such a short race. And the holeshots in race 1 and 2 were the deciding factor for the win...
gabrielito
MLewis59 wrote:
I think it was a terrible track layout for this format... & that played a major role in viewers likes / dislikes. (small whoops , 90...
I think it was a terrible track layout for this format... & that played a major role in viewers likes / dislikes. (small whoops , 90 degree turns , simpler rhythms that everyone did , a gate you could holeshot from almost anywhere .) There was just not much to separate the guys and not as many potential passing spots as usual .

Appeared to be Feld's version of an insurance policy to guarantee that chaos . All about making money and keeping more viewers engaged for the whole 3 hour broadcast... Will be interesting to see if they continue this for the other Triple Crown events..

I liked the triple crown in theory, I just personally would like to see it on a gnarly track . (Ex: Houston last week)

All just preference but I would like to see an extra championship point (1) awarded to each main event winner on the triple crown nights, even if its small it should be worth a little something-something.

The track was the biggest issue for sure. Feld could be pushing this style of track and format to create an "anyone can win on any given night" product. This would lessen the importance of the riders and make the teams more the focus and who the fans cheer for, which "coincidentally" happens to be how they do things with their Monster Truck show.
Johnny Depp
I agree with you in principal, but it wasn't necessarily more racing. Back in the "semi" days, most guys in the final raced three times. Guys...
I agree with you in principal, but it wasn't necessarily more racing. Back in the "semi" days, most guys in the final raced three times. Guys who went through the LCQ raced four times. Same as Saturday night.

The only guys who raced less were the top dogs, who "transferred to the main" after one short race, and I always hated that anyway.
The top riders are the only ones in the discussion.
ktm212
1/23/2018 3:05pm
I didnt read all 5 pages and Im not going to, but I work at a motorcycle dealership and all our employees, all my friends, and every customer I asked loved it; its what we talked about all day today. The racing was more exciting than any race minus Vegas in the last 2 years. Vital is just a place to come to bitch about anything and its actually ridiculous what you snowflakes get upset over. There were longer commercial breaks but they also don't put commercials on during the actual racing so which do you want? Just wait an hour into it and fast forward the commercials. You get to see the top racers racing every time out, 5 of the top 6 in the first moto were all fast dudes who got good starts but by the overall the cream rose to the top. Look at JA's lap times the first race, they were nearly identical to Seely, its not like Seely, Baggett, Brayton, or any of those guys are slow, I doubt 21 woulda won that race even if he did have a full 20.

By no means do I think they need 17 rounds of this but 3, 4, 5 rounds of it, heck yeah. I wish Feld would have gave points per moto on a decreased scale (10pts-1st, 9pts- 2nd , ect) and that really would have put some underdogs like Seely into the title fight and gave a slight bonus to a rider would could sweep all 3 mains.
Ted722
1/23/2018 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 11:52pm
So, which is it Steve? New triple crown format or more privateers in the night show. Pick one.

1/23/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 8:47pm
The top riders are the only ones in the discussion.
If I remember the semi system correctly, only eight guys transferred from the first round, meaning they raced twice. The other 14 all raced three (or even four) times in a night. For most of the guys in the main, this isn't really new.
dkg
1/23/2018 9:17pm
Everyone complains about the time, and guess who is behind it all, the usual culprits. " Break time A lot of fans voiced that the breaks...

" Break time

I am sure that is a accurate statement re: the commercials. Difficulty being that the filler material perhaps to closely resembled an “infomercial” which would technically be considered content.

Post a reply to: If this is the future....

The Latest