If the public demand was high enough, could it happen ?

Prejump
Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 5:04pm
I think most people on here now acknowledge MXGP as the pinnacle of motocross racing. In the past there was a argument that the US nats could be stronger, but now times have changed, things have progressed all around the world in Moto, and the world stage is rightfully at the top, where it should be.

Now considering this as a fairly recent adjustment, it would be perfectly natural for each moto nation to want to send their best riders to compete on the world stage throughout the year. I think any true fan of moto, who understands the magic of true outdoor racing & all its variables would love nothing more then seeing the best of the best race, and see one of there country men bring home a world title. Fly the flag on the podium & hear the national anthem all around world.

So IMO it is time the US started to dream this dream. The riders, fans & industry start to plan an attack the world championships. Im not talking about sending all the top riders, ruining the US nats or SX. Im talking about 1 team of 2 elite US riders to dedicate themselves to bringing home a true world title of motocross.

I appreciate the industry depends on SX for bringing in the money. But consider this, an true MXGP world champion would also be very marketable. It would be a shot in the arm for US industry & make certain aspects more relevant again.

I think at a time SX is losing some of its wow factor, it wouldn't hurt to give something else a go. Personally I would love nothing more then to see a few elite US riders learning to ride the deep sand, mixing things up with the big boys & pushing the sport of Moto to a new level on the whole.

|
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/2/2018 7:35am
4 of the top 6 dirtbike riders in the world race in the US not MXGP.
TXDirt
4/2/2018 7:36am
Of course it would be awesome. Just don't see it happening anytime soon. It was really cool that RV went over for a few races before he got hurt but you could tell he wasn't in it 100% and he was also at the end of his career. That was exciting though to see a top American go over and attempt it. Would be great to see more Americans try to GP's.
lloyd2890
4/2/2018 7:37am
Prejump wrote:
I think most people on here now acknowledge MXGP as the pinnacle of motocross racing. In the past there was a argument that the US nats...
I think most people on here now acknowledge MXGP as the pinnacle of motocross racing. In the past there was a argument that the US nats could be stronger, but now times have changed, things have progressed all around the world in Moto, and the world stage is rightfully at the top, where it should be.

Now considering this as a fairly recent adjustment, it would be perfectly natural for each moto nation to want to send their best riders to compete on the world stage throughout the year. I think any true fan of moto, who understands the magic of true outdoor racing & all its variables would love nothing more then seeing the best of the best race, and see one of there country men bring home a world title. Fly the flag on the podium & hear the national anthem all around world.

So IMO it is time the US started to dream this dream. The riders, fans & industry start to plan an attack the world championships. Im not talking about sending all the top riders, ruining the US nats or SX. Im talking about 1 team of 2 elite US riders to dedicate themselves to bringing home a true world title of motocross.

I appreciate the industry depends on SX for bringing in the money. But consider this, an true MXGP world champion would also be very marketable. It would be a shot in the arm for US industry & make certain aspects more relevant again.

I think at a time SX is losing some of its wow factor, it wouldn't hurt to give something else a go. Personally I would love nothing more then to see a few elite US riders learning to ride the deep sand, mixing things up with the big boys & pushing the sport of Moto to a new level on the whole.

This in Theory sounds great and for any true motocross fan would be absolutely brilliant..BUT and its a big BUT as we all know the money just isn't the same in MXGP as to what a rider can earn in SX and nats, and lets be blunt who wants to take a massive pay cut and take a massive risk, we all know AMA motocross and MXGP are very different and theres noway ANY ama rider can be 100% sure of claiming a MXGP title. In theory your post is a great idea but in reality thats all it would ever be...a theory.

The Shop

captmoto
4/2/2018 7:38am
how about a swap? Two elite MXGP stars come race SX for one season.
philG
4/2/2018 7:40am
early wrote:
The top 6 riders in the world race MXGP, its the world championship, not a National one.
kb228
4/2/2018 7:41am
I think there should be 1 outdoor series the top guys in the world compete in. Also those same top guys should do sx.

For financial reasons the Nationals would need to be that series. Plus the overal talent pool in in the states is higher than europe.
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/2/2018 7:43am
early wrote:
philG wrote:
The top 6 riders in the world race MXGP, its the world championship, not a National one.
Who are your top 6?
gt80rider
4/2/2018 7:48am
Dude lost me with that first sentence. Guess he's never been to an SX before. Money, prestige, etc, are wayyyy higher in SX than our nationals or the gp scene. Now, the hardcore weekend racer crowd might think gp is the pinnacle, but the dollars would tell you a MUCH different story...
lloyd2890
4/2/2018 8:00am
early wrote:
philG wrote:
Very well put!
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/2/2018 8:07am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 8:10am
early wrote:
philG wrote:
Ohh, here we go...didn't even make it as far as I thought it would before this began...

Technically speaking, since 2008 the Supercross championship is considered a FIM World Championship...sooooo if we're going straight off series name...
ATKpilot99
4/2/2018 8:11am
We need the young up and coming riders to aspire to be World Champions . Maybe rides like Herlings had here last year will make some of those riders take notice and decide they want to be like him , to be a World Champion not a Supercross rider jumping the triples . It's a tall order but I'd love to see it.
lloyd2890
4/2/2018 8:13am
ML512 wrote:
Ohh, here we go...didn't even make it as far as I thought it would before this began... Technically speaking, since 2008 the Supercross championship is considered...
Ohh, here we go...didn't even make it as far as I thought it would before this began...

Technically speaking, since 2008 the Supercross championship is considered a FIM World Championship...sooooo if we're going straight off series name...
series name or not your sx series is NOT a world championship its nothing more than a national championship if it doesn't leave one country ?!?
kb228
4/2/2018 8:17am
ML512 wrote:
Ohh, here we go...didn't even make it as far as I thought it would before this began... Technically speaking, since 2008 the Supercross championship is considered...

lloyd2890 wrote:
series name or not your sx series is NOT a world championship its nothing more than a national championship if it doesn't leave one country ?!?
It does go to canada sometimes.
4/2/2018 8:18am
The top 4 out of 5 best riders in the world right now are European

Cairoli
Herlings
Roczen
Tomac
Musquin

In that order In my opinion anyway
4/2/2018 8:19am
lloyd2890 wrote:
You mean the World Series of baseball isn’t a World Series?
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/2/2018 8:20am
The top 4 out of 5 best riders in the world right now are European Cairoli Herlings Roczen Tomac Musquin In that order In my opinion...

Cairoli
Herlings
Roczen
Tomac
Musquin

Where are they racing?
mx317
4/2/2018 8:22am
The top 4 out of 5 best riders in the world right now are European Cairoli Herlings Roczen Tomac Musquin In that order In my opinion...

Cairoli
Herlings
Roczen
Tomac
Musquin

Anderson?
lloyd2890
4/2/2018 8:22am
You mean the World Series of baseball isn’t a World Series?
i don't know any thing about baseball so I'm not going to comment on that im merely saying how can a series truly be a 'World championship' if doesn't leave one country? its a national championship not a world championship.
4/2/2018 8:23am
early wrote:
I'd say Graham Jarvis is in the top 6 of dirt bike riders in the world
mx317
4/2/2018 8:26am
ML512 wrote:

lloyd2890 wrote:
It's FIM sanctioned as a world championship. USA is rather large. We have states bigger than most countries in Europe. Wink
moto282
4/2/2018 8:26am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 8:28am

Cairoli
Herlings
Roczen
Tomac
Musquin

And it's been the opposite for many years before now and will shift again in the coming years.

I'd argue Supercross is still the most popular mx series in the world, and until that changes, many of the top racers (from around the world) aren't going to race MXGP nor will we have a combined "world series". 3 out of the 5 top riders you list race in the US SX/MX series which proves my point.

Your list is missing Anderson too if you are going to have Musquin on there.
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/2/2018 8:27am
early wrote:
I'd say Graham Jarvis is in the top 6 of dirt bike riders in the world
Valid point but outside the scope of the argument
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/2/2018 8:27am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 8:29am
After watching some of the MXGPs back when RV gave it a try and seeing the awful tracks in terrible locations why would any top rider leave the USA to ride the MXGPs ? I could see riders with no other option doing it but there is a reason top riders like Kroc, Reed, Musquin etc come to the USA to race the SX and Nationals. The GPs have some great riders but the series is still bush league at times even though they do have some awesome tracks.

And no,most people on here DO NOT acknowledge that MXGP is the pinnacle of motocross racing, not even close
4/2/2018 8:31am
lostboy819 wrote:
After watching some of the MXGPs back when RV gave it a try and seeing the awful tracks in terrible locations why would any top rider...
After watching some of the MXGPs back when RV gave it a try and seeing the awful tracks in terrible locations why would any top rider leave the USA to ride the MXGPs ? I could see riders with no other option doing it but there is a reason top riders like Kroc, Reed, Musquin etc come to the USA to race the SX and Nationals. The GPs have some great riders but the series is still bush league at times even though they do have some awesome tracks.

And no,most people on here DO NOT acknowledge that MXGP is the pinnacle of motocross racing, not even close
April 1st was yesterday
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/2/2018 8:31am
I do agree that the power has gradually shifted.Even though I’m American, I am glad the GP’s are back on top. Growing up watching Decoster, Robert, Mikkola, Carlquist, Weil etc I am not stuck on cheering on only home grown riders. It was such a thrill following Lackeys progress to finally become World Champ. I would think more of the sports elite riders like Dungey and RV (who unfortunately failed miserably) would want to add world champion to their resume before hanging it up. It would be a struggle for sure and not something they would accomplish in one season. I’m guessing Dungey in his prime would take 2-3 years overseas full time before he would have a legitimate chance. I would think it might take a huge commitment from Redbull or Monster to make it worthwhile for someone like Dungey to give it a serious go. Lord knows those companies have plenty of $$$ to piss away
jdsmooth
4/2/2018 8:32am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
We need the young up and coming riders to aspire to be World Champions . Maybe rides like Herlings had here last year will make some...
We need the young up and coming riders to aspire to be World Champions . Maybe rides like Herlings had here last year will make some of those riders take notice and decide they want to be like him , to be a World Champion not a Supercross rider jumping the triples . It's a tall order but I'd love to see it.
I agree 100%. In practice, I think it makes sense for guys that are veterans who have accomplished all there is to accomplish in the US to turn their attention to the GPs (like Villopoto or Dungey). However, I think to be really successful, it would require younger riders that could learn to race in the style of the GPs rather than our vets who are more accustomed to the pace of the US nationals.
Beeby
4/2/2018 8:33am
lostboy819 wrote:
After watching some of the MXGPs back when RV gave it a try and seeing the awful tracks in terrible locations why would any top rider...

The world has 'terrible locations', we cannot stick to one country and just visit lots of places the same and call it done.

The effort of the MXGP is to take the sport worldwide and introduce it to those that would not normally see it. They don't have the luxury of having permanent tracks in some of those places.

The worlds best rider rides the tracks they are presented with on the day better than anyone else does.

If people are happy for someone to only compete in one country at the same set of tracks each year and call them the best in the world, why would a rider opt to do anything else?
MudPup545
4/2/2018 8:37am
Get back to me when the GPs can actually fill a 40 man gate.
4/2/2018 8:39am

Cairoli
Herlings
Roczen
Tomac
Musquin

moto282 wrote:
And it's been the opposite for many years before now and will shift again in the coming years. I'd argue Supercross is still the most popular...
And it's been the opposite for many years before now and will shift again in the coming years.

I'd argue Supercross is still the most popular mx series in the world, and until that changes, many of the top racers (from around the world) aren't going to race MXGP nor will we have a combined "world series". 3 out of the 5 top riders you list race in the US SX/MX series which proves my point.

Your list is missing Anderson too if you are going to have Musquin on there.
Id have gasjer and febvre over Anderson

Post a reply to: If the public demand was high enough, could it happen ?

The Latest