If not Moto, then what?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2019 10:00 AM

Posted this poll in 'Non Moto', but was told I'd receive a better response over here.

I was talking about the shape of the Motocross industry with the boss today, and I hate saying it, but I'm starting to get a very 'black pilled' view of where our sport could potentially be headed. I've been optimistic for a long time, but it's taking a weird shape at the moment, and it's got us really nervous seeing prices of bikes go up and number of riders go down, as Moto is our primary market.

For those of you that do ride, what are you riding primarily? Does it seem as though things are on the upswing or at least steady in that scene? I'd appreciate your guys' feedback, I'm trying to do a little research.

If you're not riding Moto, what are you riding?

View Results

|

@fiendz.cc

7/31/2019 10:04 AM

Holeshot on sportbikes. Yes, I like voting in polls.

|

7/31/2019 3:04 PM

I feel the same way. It’s one of the factors that is keeping me from dropping the coin on a brand new bike. You left out one stat also, number of riding spots are dropping. There aren’t many if at all new tracks I see popping up all over the place but I sure have seen them close in the last few years.

I ride mostly moto but would love to ride some off-road. Good luck finding much easily accessible legal land anywhere Near where I live.

Hard to drop nearly $10k on a bike when there’s nowhere to ride it.

|

7/31/2019 3:12 PM

I don't know which of your categories it'd fit into but I ride an mt-09 when I'm not on the dirt.

|

7/31/2019 3:25 PM

Pirate421 wrote:

I feel the same way. It’s one of the factors that is keeping me from dropping the coin on a brand new bike. You left out one ...more

I rode/ raced for 45 years straight but driving two hours one way to nearest track got old in a hurry. I’d be up for a new bike if there was anywhere close to ride.

|

7/31/2019 3:34 PM

mountain bikes.

|

7/31/2019 3:53 PM

Strippers and blow,

Cheaper but wears on ya after a bit

And,you age twice as fast so if one can sustain its over in half the time

|

7/31/2019 4:06 PM

Elbows wrote:

I rode/ raced for 45 years straight but driving two hours one way to nearest track got old in a hurry. I’d be up for a new ...more

Most weekends my riding buddies head out to really nice tracks but they are usually 2.5-3hrs away. I’ve got a six year old daughter who hates the track. I do feel guilty taking off at 6am and getting back at 6-7 at night when I already work 60hrs a week. I only get to ride maybe 1-2x a month.

|

7/31/2019 4:07 PM

E-mtb

|

7/31/2019 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2019 4:11 PM

My wife and I ride literally almost everything listed there: Street, Roadracing, Dual-sport, Trials, MTB, Supermoto, Offroad, and then you can mix in Hiking, Overlanding, Jet Skiing, and Snowboarding.

No lack of options on how to have a good time.

MX, Sportbikes, Dual-sport/offroad all are about equally split if I had to really think about it.

|

7/31/2019 4:14 PM

soggy wrote:

mountain bikes.

This. Apart from the cost of the bike and a few pieces of gear, I can leave right from my house and ride for free. No gas, oil, or entry fees.
When I ride my motorcycle, I'm still moto.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/31/2019 4:17 PM

Pirate421 wrote:

I feel the same way. It’s one of the factors that is keeping me from dropping the coin on a brand new bike. You left out one ...more

Elbows wrote:

I rode/ raced for 45 years straight but driving two hours one way to nearest track got old in a hurry. I’d be up for a new ...more

Get an electric bike then you can ride around your own yard, no noise.

|

Riding is Freedom, Freedom is Riding!

7/31/2019 4:34 PM

Mountain bike.

|

7/31/2019 4:38 PM

Vintage MX. Im only a young bloke but theres nothing more fun then racing a bunch of blokes who couldnt care less about winning but all swinging off an old bike thinking your 03 JS259 while your moving about as fast as a snail. laughing

laughing

|

7/31/2019 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2019 7:14 PM

Vintage MX is my current jam. I've done cruisers (Sportsters & Dynas), big baggers (FLHX & FLHPI), and sport touring (ST1300 & R1200RTP). Nothing beats mx.

If my knees/shoulders/ankles should finally object to any more mx, I'm gonna build an outlaw 911 and track the shit out of it.

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

7/31/2019 5:43 PM

Mountain Bike and swimming

|

7/31/2019 6:48 PM

My 3 year old races a Stryder at the local BMX track on Tuesday nights and rides a StacyC everyday in our backyard and I take him to the track to ride his PW and CRF50 one day on the weekend. My daughter and I race Karts together a few times a year and I do track days in the PCA with my Dad and brother 3-4 times a year. When I’m not doing that I ride or race MX.

|

7/31/2019 6:57 PM

I’ve been almost exclusively riding pit bikes (it’s not an option) for almost a year now. Every once in awhile I wanna ride my big bike but honestly I just have so much fun with my buddies on the pit bikes I love it. Minimal maintaince, HUGE amounts of fun, and some sweet tracks in my area.

|

7/31/2019 7:15 PM

Cruiser, dual-sport, single-track, and three-wheeling. I also like to run hyphens when I fire up the screen-machine.

|

7/31/2019 7:20 PM

Cruiser for me and the wife. Photo

|

No brains, No headaches.

7/31/2019 11:29 PM

Mostly this, still got a 125 project bike and this season mountain biking and road bicycle have escalated, roadracing is expensive and need to go to other countries for really really cool tracks, so a few trackdays and biking I guess, voted sportbikes smile

Photo

|

8/1/2019 12:10 AM

Sport is doing great here, with new tracks opening up

|

8/1/2019 12:44 AM

Karting

|

8/1/2019 12:48 AM

Don’t like the slot car racing style track prep these days.

|

8/1/2019 1:00 AM

My other ride smilePhoto

|

8/1/2019 1:23 AM

Travel!

|

8/1/2019 1:30 AM

I would get a Yamaha R6 and start doing trackdays on it if i would quit moto.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

8/1/2019 3:24 AM

soggy wrote:

mountain bikes.

Falcon wrote:

This. Apart from the cost of the bike and a few pieces of gear, I can leave right from my house and ride for free. No gas, ...more

Preach. Plus, for me, the closest (moto) riding area is 45 minutes away, not counting the hour(s) of bike/equipment prep and washing that I'm going to have to deal with just for that one ride.

I can load my mtb on my tailgate pad in less than a minute. Dump some water in my hydration pack and be at my mtb trails in 20 minutes. When I'm done, it takes me about three minutes to unload my bike and gear. And the anxiety level? There is no anxiety when I'm on my bike, just nirvana. I can't say that for moto anymore. I wish I could.

|

8/1/2019 8:24 AM

If not moto, then I'm doing something on the water.

|

8/1/2019 8:29 AM

Golf

|