If You Were Triumph, Which Riders Would You Hire For Their New Race Team?

Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 12:41pm
Personally I reckon Dungey would be a perfect fit. He still has the massive relevancy and star power to generate huge interest, people would surely tune in and go to races to get a look at the legend coming back and riding a new machine. He could easily be an ambassador doing promo tents with the bike at all the races too, along with other media stuff. There's a chance he could be interested given he was looking for a ride last year, and nobody would blame mid-pack results on the bike because Ryan could easily blame himself and say he's just not quite up to speed. He's even got the experience of working through significant design changes from his early days with KTM. All upside with very little risk for all parties.

Not sure about a second seat though. I imagine it would probably be hard to lure a serious contender to an unproven bike, so maybe someone who gets consistent top 10s or can at least mix it up like Christian Craig or Mookie.

|
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/23/2021 3:21am
I think they need to be looking at someone like keefer to develop the base platform long before they get racers hired
7/23/2021 3:37am
scott_nz wrote:
I think they need to be looking at someone like keefer to develop the base platform long before they get racers hired
Sounds like they may be further along than they're letting on. Some people with ties to Triumph claim this has been at least a few years on the go now, and surely hiring Ricky as an "active partner in both bike testing and preparation for racing" means they're close enough to start thinking about who they want representing the bike in either '22 or '23. Maybe I'm just optimistic...
bowl
7/23/2021 3:40am
Jmart 450
Beaton 250

The Shop

cwel11
7/23/2021 3:52am
By the time the bike gets built, tested, bugs worked out, enough produced to race, etc. they may hire someone who’s 14 years old and unheard of at this point. This is a huge undertaking and will not happen overnight, and in the end it may not happen at all.
Alan Dove
7/23/2021 3:56am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 4:01am
cwel11 wrote:
By the time the bike gets built, tested, bugs worked out, enough produced to race, etc. they may hire someone who’s 14 years old and unheard...
By the time the bike gets built, tested, bugs worked out, enough produced to race, etc. they may hire someone who’s 14 years old and unheard of at this point. This is a huge undertaking and will not happen overnight, and in the end it may not happen at all.
Unless Triumph have some big financial hit, it'd be strange to do such a big announcement without having prototypes already to go and hit the track. It's not rocket science to build a frame and a single-cylinder 250/450. They could do that in their sleep. There's a ton of dirtbike venues in the UK, so it wouldn't be hard for them to do secret testing already.

philG
7/23/2021 4:28am
Alan Dove wrote:
Unless Triumph have some big financial hit, it'd be strange to do such a big announcement without having prototypes already to go and hit the track...
Unless Triumph have some big financial hit, it'd be strange to do such a big announcement without having prototypes already to go and hit the track. It's not rocket science to build a frame and a single-cylinder 250/450. They could do that in their sleep. There's a ton of dirtbike venues in the UK, so it wouldn't be hard for them to do secret testing already.

The fact that nobody knows anything about this at all, makes that very unlikely , the few contacts i have in design houses have heard nothing, and locally i have heard nothing either, I love the assumption that a factory on Dodwells Bridge Industrial Estate , Hinckley , will be doing everything in the USA, rather than using the resources they already have here.

There are a few guys who would be perfect for the test rider role who live within an hour of the factory , and until they have a proven bike and product , i dont see them doing a lot outside of Europe.

With talks of other manufacturers scaling back, there will be no shortage of people to run the Team, JM Racing, or the former KRT Team are available, but the fact that nobody has seen anything resembling a bike , makes it seem unlikely.

Of course there is always the possibility that a bike is in the making and Triumph are going to put their name on it, as Husky and GasGas have done, i guess we will find out soon.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
7/23/2021 4:33am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 4:39am
2021 Triumph MX expansion draft:

Ama450:
BB4
Freddie Noren

Ama250:
Decotis
Rodriguez

MXGP
Simpson (so he can complete his thanos bracelet
Nagl (same reason)

MX2
Brumann
Lata

WMX
Lotte van Drunen
7/23/2021 4:47am
It seems a lot of people only think about autograph lines. I'm failing to see what exactly it is that Dungey is good at besides racing MX...that's meant with ALL due respect to a multi-time champion (even though I'm sure you're already blowing out the down thumb, Susan) but some guys act like they'd hire him as their wedding planner, or investment banker just based on his MX exploits. He was a great racer. He's gaining experience as a coffee vendor. He's fairly decent trackside (I think J-Bone in the pits is the best thing going and needs to be a regular thing....actually noting the direction they are spinning the clickers and explaining why so that normies "get it" is top notch, reminds me a bit of Jerry Bernardo)

Look at the big picture. Ricky Carmichael is the brand ambassador. Ricky is good friends with Joey Savagty. Joey Savagty is entering the "perfect" place in his career to fill the spot of a first year team and help them get their sea legs in this series, for what won't be a massive contract. Savagty will be the first rider they sign, IF I had to wager.

If I were the one making signings, I'd sign Marchbanks and throw away his 250. Stick his big ass on a 450 and throw bricks at him til he's in kill-mode then unleash him.

KMC440
7/23/2021 5:17am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 5:19am
Jeff Gibson ... boom done.
If he chickens out get Keith Johnson.

Screw it get both of them !!!
36Wheeler
7/23/2021 5:26am
Alan Dove wrote:
Unless Triumph have some big financial hit, it'd be strange to do such a big announcement without having prototypes already to go and hit the track...

philG wrote:
The fact that nobody knows anything about this at all, makes that very unlikely , the few contacts i have in design houses have heard nothing...
The fact that nobody knows anything about this at all, makes that very unlikely , the few contacts i have in design houses have heard nothing, and locally i have heard nothing either, I love the assumption that a factory on Dodwells Bridge Industrial Estate , Hinckley , will be doing everything in the USA, rather than using the resources they already have here.

There are a few guys who would be perfect for the test rider role who live within an hour of the factory , and until they have a proven bike and product , i dont see them doing a lot outside of Europe.

With talks of other manufacturers scaling back, there will be no shortage of people to run the Team, JM Racing, or the former KRT Team are available, but the fact that nobody has seen anything resembling a bike , makes it seem unlikely.

Of course there is always the possibility that a bike is in the making and Triumph are going to put their name on it, as Husky and GasGas have done, i guess we will find out soon.
I know someone who used to work there until recently and has seen concept sketches and described it as a unique design. I expect prototypes at least to be revealed later this year/ early next year.
Rupert X
7/23/2021 5:40am
I’m going with the Sipes brothers. Poo on the XT850 and Ryan on the XTX 575. Training begins with the Nug Smasher at Aldon Bakers Pastry Shop in Tallahassee - this upcoming Rumspringen.

Motofinne
7/23/2021 5:44am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 5:49am
If i'm Triumph, i start with MXGPs because of no production rules. There is no better testing environment than racing. Although i think there is some rule in American racing that allows an OEM to circumvent the production rule for one year?

But why waste that free year of development now already? Beta are doing a smart thing with doing a season or two of GPs before entering the US racing scene.

Kevin Strijbos comes to mind as a guy that probably could do some good work as a racer/tester. A bit like Shorty did with KTM.
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1022nd
7/23/2021 5:52am
obviously James Stewart and Jason Lawrence.
philG
7/23/2021 6:09am
36Wheeler wrote:
I know someone who used to work there until recently and has seen concept sketches and described it as a unique design. I expect prototypes at...
I know someone who used to work there until recently and has seen concept sketches and described it as a unique design. I expect prototypes at least to be revealed later this year/ early next year.
I could get a concept sketch knocked up in a week, but i remember when Triumph first started and how long it took, the first bikes all shared loads of parts, and were designed to get a range out as quickly as possible .

Its a small world when it comes to racing in the UK, and you cant get much done physically without people knowing about it , no matter what it is.

There is a design house local to me that has done work on some bikes, but the problem with concept bikes (or cars for that matter) is that they are usually done by people who dont actually know what is needed , or how it needs to be made, and therefore are pretty worthless .

The idea that everyone currently making dirtbikes , is actually wrong, and there is a better way to do it , can only come from someone who isnt in the game .

They havent changed in 40 years , save for disc brakes , i think they would have by now.

kb228
7/23/2021 6:21am
scott_nz wrote:
Sounds like they may be further along than they're letting on. Some people with ties to Triumph claim this has been at least a few years...
Sounds like they may be further along than they're letting on. Some people with ties to Triumph claim this has been at least a few years on the go now, and surely hiring Ricky as an "active partner in both bike testing and preparation for racing" means they're close enough to start thinking about who they want representing the bike in either '22 or '23. Maybe I'm just optimistic...
Sounds about right. Lets be real, theyre not developing an all new bike ready for supercross in 2 years.
Alan Dove
7/23/2021 6:35am
philG wrote:
The fact that nobody knows anything about this at all, makes that very unlikely , the few contacts i have in design houses have heard nothing...

NDAs could be the reason no one has said anything.

I am in two minds. On one hand I am like you asking where is this bike then, the other I can see how it'd be possible to develop totally in secret.
7/23/2021 6:45am
You need a rider who can provide feedback and is a good tester. The other challenge will be who they also hire or use to develop the production bike itself besides Ricky.
ZOSICK
7/23/2021 7:00am
Who knows when they will actually start testing for this program. I laugh every time I see RD5 and BB4 names pop up lol. They are done riding and living their life. Hell, you might as well toss in RV2 into the mix while you're at it lol. Why stop there, let's get MC2 and JS7 off the couch lol.

Although "star power" would be nice, lets see who's actually going to be around to even select from. My guess, some young really fast armature kid and an older but solid pro. I'm willing to be they are at least 1-2 years out. Also take into consideration who the title sponsor is going to be, i.e. Red Bull, Monster, Rockstar, ect. That alone will also dictate what rider they can get.
Richy
7/23/2021 7:32am
Staff turnover and annoyed / over worked / under paid employees are often enough to sink any secrecy in UK motorsport, and that's before anyone spotting it in passing or everyone and their mum putting everything on Instagram now.

The one plus I can see for keeping it quiet, is that if anyone had said anything prior to an official release, anyone who heard it would have assumed it was bullshit haha
Alan Dove
7/23/2021 7:37am
Richy wrote:
Staff turnover and annoyed / over worked / under paid employees are often enough to sink any secrecy in UK motorsport, and that's before anyone spotting...
Staff turnover and annoyed / over worked / under paid employees are often enough to sink any secrecy in UK motorsport, and that's before anyone spotting it in passing or everyone and their mum putting everything on Instagram now.

The one plus I can see for keeping it quiet, is that if anyone had said anything prior to an official release, anyone who heard it would have assumed it was bullshit haha
How has it remained secret then? That's the thing. I agree that UK motorsport is gonna do what it does,so how does a company like Triumph keep this quiet. I am making the reasonable assumption Triumph must be some lengths down the development path and thus engineering and manufacturing teams would know about this project. It'd be highly unusual for Triumph to announce this without some work being done on it prior with significant numbers of people.
mxtech1
7/23/2021 10:11am
Not sure on riders, but Weigandt mentioned in an interview with Greg White that Triumph supposedly talking with "a team that is, as of recently, no longer racing in MX/SX, but is still available" to support the R&D efforts and manage the racing side of things.

The most obvious entity that comes to mind is JGR. They have equipment still, engineering services, and the technical structure/culture to form a partnership like this. So they put RC at the helm (like Decoster is to KTM) and get Albrecht involved to manage the day-to-day.

Spudnut
7/23/2021 10:31am
A couple privateers like aray or JWalk

aray Would be great for durability testing Tongue
GabeM
7/23/2021 10:38am
I think the obvious one is the slimmed down and back in racing shape RC.
7/23/2021 10:41am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 11:11am
Max Antsie seems to fit the bill to me:
Fast enough for top 10s in any series. Experienced tester. Probably looking for a ride somewhere after this season. Likely at a point in his career that he would be willing to help develop a new team/bike just as much as going for top personal finishes.

...And, like the brand, undeniably British

Richy
7/23/2021 12:41pm
That would be awesome, Max on a Triumph, I couldn't care less about the details if that was the case - I'd be an immediate fan haha

Post a reply to: If You Were Triumph, Which Riders Would You Hire For Their New Race Team?

The Latest