If Tony wins his tenth CC

keinz
3/14/2019 8:25am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 6:44pm
I think It tops Evers records. Pure and simple. Tony won hes titles yeat after year, when Everts got like two titles in one year.In the one race format
|
jeffro503
3/14/2019 8:30am
keinz wrote:
I think It tops Evers records. Pure and simple. Tony won hes titles yeat after year, when Everts got like two titles in one year.In the...
I think It tops Evers records. Pure and simple. Tony won hes titles yeat after year, when Everts got like two titles in one year.In the one race format
I would think so too , but that's not taking anything away from Stefan , as he was an incredible champion. Two of the very best , and greatest champions of all time. Big fan of both those guys , and always will be!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/14/2019 8:38am
I'm of the feeling that a championship puts you on EQUAL ground, not "this one was harder" or "that one was easier."

Let's count up total wins as a tie breaker. Doesn't that leave Everts still in the lead? Sorry, I don't know how many wins SuperTony has.
agn5009
3/14/2019 8:40am
Yep. Tony has done it against better competition too. when Everts was racing, the GPs weren’t quite what they have been the last couple years.
jeffro503
3/14/2019 8:43am
Falcon wrote:
I'm of the feeling that a championship puts you on EQUAL ground, not "this one was harder" or "that one was easier." Let's count up total...
I'm of the feeling that a championship puts you on EQUAL ground, not "this one was harder" or "that one was easier."

Let's count up total wins as a tie breaker. Doesn't that leave Everts still in the lead? Sorry, I don't know how many wins SuperTony has.
Well , that's the thing though. Tony never had an option to race 3 different classes in one day , and win all three classes on that day. If anything , " Longevity " from Tony has been incredible.

Btw.....if you haven't seen the TC movie , you should. That guy's story is pretty amazing , considering where he came from and how he took the world by the horns. Fuggin' guy is a legend beyond legends.

The Shop

brimx153
3/14/2019 10:43am
agn5009 wrote:
Yep. Tony has done it against better competition too. when Everts was racing, the GPs weren’t quite what they have been the last couple years.
I disagree with this . Is there more riders who can win races in Tony era championship s. Yes way more . But all the riders are so inconsistent. Eg , paulin, desale ,etc etc can win one week the next weekend they are getting 10 th . Where as in Everts era if he won ,bervotes ,coppins, Seb etc would never be out of the top 5 . Is there way more dept for Tony, YES for sure , but how many years have any of his top competitor s get injured of miss races or just ride bad. That just didn't happen as much in Everts era.
brimx153
3/14/2019 10:44am
keinz wrote:
I think It tops Evers records. Pure and simple. Tony won hes titles yeat after year, when Everts got like two titles in one year.In the...
Everts never got two titles in one year
Ranman68
3/14/2019 11:05am
Falcon wrote:
I'm of the feeling that a championship puts you on EQUAL ground, not "this one was harder" or "that one was easier." Let's count up total...

jeffro503 wrote:
Well , that's the thing though. Tony never had an option to race 3 different classes in one day , and win all three classes on...
Well , that's the thing though. Tony never had an option to race 3 different classes in one day , and win all three classes on that day. If anything , " Longevity " from Tony has been incredible.

Btw.....if you haven't seen the TC movie , you should. That guy's story is pretty amazing , considering where he came from and how he took the world by the horns. Fuggin' guy is a legend beyond legends.
Dude I watched that movie and ive admired Cairoli like a mf every since. He's a good person and a true, self made champion that had to make it happen himself when he was young. Incredible story. Most people have no idea what a beast that guy is.
ATKpilot99
3/14/2019 11:11am
keinz wrote:
brimx153 wrote:
True. He was able to stack up more gp wins than he otherwise would have though.
3/14/2019 11:15am
Falcon wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Well , that's the thing though. Tony never had an option to race 3 different classes in one day , and win all three classes on...

Also Everts couldn’t help the fact that during his career, the GP’s was only running 1 race per class. Plus when he was racing in his early part of his career the GP’s were running a 3 Moto format. Horses for courses really. Not easy riding 2 different classes in the same day, you gotta remember he rode twice as much as anyone else on a weekend.
3/14/2019 11:48am
keinz wrote:
brimx153 wrote:
Freddy Spencer did it on road bikes. Can't do that anymore, but, damn, can you imagine running at that level back to back?
Titan1
3/14/2019 12:20pm
The GP's were crap during Everts reign...most all of Everts serious competition (Tortelli, Albertine, Vuilliman, Reed, Pichon, etc. etc. etc. etc.) spent some/most of their careers racing in america (where they subsequently got smoked by RC-like everyone else). Leave all of that competition in the GP's and Everts has several less titles and many many many less wins. Because of that I think Tony is a far superior rider to Everts, right now (and I really like Everts, and his style, he's a bad dude on a dirt bike, so I don't mean any disrespect to him), but only a crazy biased person would say Everts was a better rider than Tony is.
DC
3/14/2019 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 12:39pm
Titan1 wrote:
The GP's were crap during Everts reign...most all of Everts serious competition (Tortelli, Albertine, Vuilliman, Reed, Pichon, etc. etc. etc. etc.) spent some/most of their careers...
The GP's were crap during Everts reign...most all of Everts serious competition (Tortelli, Albertine, Vuilliman, Reed, Pichon, etc. etc. etc. etc.) spent some/most of their careers racing in america (where they subsequently got smoked by RC-like everyone else). Leave all of that competition in the GP's and Everts has several less titles and many many many less wins. Because of that I think Tony is a far superior rider to Everts, right now (and I really like Everts, and his style, he's a bad dude on a dirt bike, so I don't mean any disrespect to him), but only a crazy biased person would say Everts was a better rider than Tony is.
A lot of guys certainly left during Everts' reign, but don't forget that in the last 15 years there's been several MX2 World Champions who left for America before really moving up to MXGP, namely Ben Townley, Christophe Pourcel, Tyla Rattray, Marvin Musquin and Ken Roczen.

Also, while Everts had a year where he could get two and even three wins in a single day, he was mostly limited to12 GPs in most of his other seasons, so Cairoli has had as many chances in his 15 years and counting as Stefan had in is 17 seasons.

All that said, Cairoli has been a much more consistent and healthy champion, and his evolution as a world-class sand rider has been remarkable, considering where he was when he began. I think it's safe to say that there would be an even debate for either Stefan or Antonio (once he catches his tenth) but together they are far and away the two best MXGP riders of all time. I personally feel very fortunate to have been able to watch both, just as I was when I got to see Jeremy dominate SX in the nineties and Ricky dominate in the '00s.

Enjoy both for their greatness!

DC
Racer X

Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
3/14/2019 1:00pm
Evert's final year really goes to show how good he was though. Dominated the GPs, then dominated the MXdN

RandyS
3/14/2019 1:08pm
I'd like to see 222 get the title this year and then spend 2020 getting ready for and doing the US nationals. Kind of the way RV was going to end it.
Bidirella
3/14/2019 1:11pm
RandyS wrote:
I'd like to see 222 get the title this year and then spend 2020 getting ready for and doing the US nationals. Kind of the way...
I'd like to see 222 get the title this year and then spend 2020 getting ready for and doing the US nationals. Kind of the way RV was going to end it.
There is a bigger change he will retired at the end off the year then going to the US
Titan1
3/14/2019 1:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
The GP's were crap during Everts reign...most all of Everts serious competition (Tortelli, Albertine, Vuilliman, Reed, Pichon, etc. etc. etc. etc.) spent some/most of their careers...
DC wrote:
A lot of guys certainly left during Everts' reign, but don't forget that in the last 15 years there's been several MX2 World Champions who left...
A lot of guys certainly left during Everts' reign, but don't forget that in the last 15 years there's been several MX2 World Champions who left for America before really moving up to MXGP, namely Ben Townley, Christophe Pourcel, Tyla Rattray, Marvin Musquin and Ken Roczen.

Also, while Everts had a year where he could get two and even three wins in a single day, he was mostly limited to12 GPs in most of his other seasons, so Cairoli has had as many chances in his 15 years and counting as Stefan had in is 17 seasons.

All that said, Cairoli has been a much more consistent and healthy champion, and his evolution as a world-class sand rider has been remarkable, considering where he was when he began. I think it's safe to say that there would be an even debate for either Stefan or Antonio (once he catches his tenth) but together they are far and away the two best MXGP riders of all time. I personally feel very fortunate to have been able to watch both, just as I was when I got to see Jeremy dominate SX in the nineties and Ricky dominate in the '00s.

Enjoy both for their greatness!

DC
Racer X

Valid point on the talent AC didn't have to race...but even with those guys leaving...look who he's had to battle his entire career...that is an impressive list of guys-far more impressive than the guys Everts had to battle after his top talent left for America.

I also enjoy them both. Everts going so fast while looking so slow was mind boggling! Tony's race craft, and outright speed, his flawless technique...equally mind boggling!
agn5009
3/14/2019 1:53pm
agn5009 wrote:
brimx153 wrote:
I disagree with this . Is there more riders who can win races in Tony era championship s. Yes way more . But all the riders...
I disagree with this . Is there more riders who can win races in Tony era championship s. Yes way more . But all the riders are so inconsistent. Eg , paulin, desale ,etc etc can win one week the next weekend they are getting 10 th . Where as in Everts era if he won ,bervotes ,coppins, Seb etc would never be out of the top 5 . Is there way more dept for Tony, YES for sure , but how many years have any of his top competitor s get injured of miss races or just ride bad. That just didn't happen as much in Everts era.
The reason guys are taking 3rd one week and 10th the next is because of the level of competition. It’s not because of inconsistency. The top 10 in the GP’s is crazy good right now. Cairoli, Herlings, Febvre and Gajser are all world champions and currently run the class (I know 2 are out with injuries).

If Reed, Tortelli, Vuilliman, Albertyn, Pichon etc hadn’t left for the states I have no doubt Everts would have a bunch less wins and a few less championships. However, the same could be said about Cairoli if Musquin, Roczen, Reed, Rattray etc has stayed. I just feel the current top 10 guys in the GPs are way more competitive than the top 10 15 plus years ago.
crowe176
3/14/2019 2:01pm
AC222 is like a fine wine.. Love watching that dude twist the grip off. He rides like a 20yo kid.. I hope he crushes it this season.
3/14/2019 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 2:33pm
Massive Everts fan, BUT what AC achieved last year and the way he stepped up his game put him above Everts to me. take Herlings out of the picture and the way he was riding at his age was incredible.
DPR250R
3/14/2019 2:16pm
I think he will get 11 before he is done.
JasonJLF
3/14/2019 2:38pm
Everts missed several whole years through injury and had been written off before going on to win 8 more titles. In one of his championship years he won all 3 classes in one day and also rode the ISDE after the season ended and won that too.

Cairoli overcame real adversity and was close to having to quit for financial reasons before his career even got off the ground and has gone on to maintain world class pace over a very long time. The guy is one of the hardest working riders ever.

They're both legends and trying to compare is pointless. Just sit back and enjoy seeing Cairoli defy the laws of aging.:-)
mx_563
3/14/2019 2:43pm
In 2001 I think Everts raced against one guy...Joel Smets. The field was definitely not deep. But he sure is smug and proud about his 10 titles. I'm definitely rooting for Tony!!!
MXMattii
3/14/2019 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 4:22pm
mx_563 wrote:
In 2001 I think Everts raced against one guy...Joel Smets. The field was definitely not deep. But he sure is smug and proud about his 10...
In 2001 I think Everts raced against one guy...Joel Smets. The field was definitely not deep. But he sure is smug and proud about his 10 titles. I'm definitely rooting for Tony!!!
Titles against Max Nagl his teammate and Privateer Honda pilot Desalle in 2009, in 2010 again against Clément Desalle who became second but missed one GP, the next year he kept himself before Steven Frossard (2011) who was out for two GP's and Clément Desalle who finished third missed three GP's. To be honest I think that winning against Smets, Bervoets, Vohland, Pichon, Demaria, Strijbos, Tortelli, Bolley, Beirer, McFarlane, Shane King, Coppins, Townley,... is more impressive then beating Desalle over and over again because he was to stubborn to learn how to become a sand rider and to beat Frossard, Van Horebeek, ...

Stefan also won the ISDE and carried Belgium towards MXON wins. Besides those results he also won a few Grand Prix Supercross races back in 1992. A broken leg prevented him from becoming WC Supercross. Just imagine.
drt410
3/14/2019 4:38pm
TC is a boss. The GPs are the Herlings Cairoli show... thats it. Nobody is beating them and when one goes down (Herlings) TC wins automatically.
brimx153
3/14/2019 5:27pm
agn5009 wrote:
brimx153 wrote:
I disagree with this . Is there more riders who can win races in Tony era championship s. Yes way more . But all the riders...
agn5009 wrote:
The reason guys are taking 3rd one week and 10th the next is because of the level of competition. It’s not because of inconsistency. The top...
The reason guys are taking 3rd one week and 10th the next is because of the level of competition. It’s not because of inconsistency. The top 10 in the GP’s is crazy good right now. Cairoli, Herlings, Febvre and Gajser are all world champions and currently run the class (I know 2 are out with injuries).

If Reed, Tortelli, Vuilliman, Albertyn, Pichon etc hadn’t left for the states I have no doubt Everts would have a bunch less wins and a few less championships. However, the same could be said about Cairoli if Musquin, Roczen, Reed, Rattray etc has stayed. I just feel the current top 10 guys in the GPs are way more competitive than the top 10 15 plus years ago.
I agree there is more rider s that are faster , but look at it like this take AC biggest competition, Febvre ,Gajser, Desalie ,Paulin how many years in a row have these guys got injured Desalie has only completed 3 seasons without getting injured and I think he even missed one race in one of those years .febvre been injured the last two years , Gajser gets injured alot or throws it away . Are these guys faster than Smeets ,Coppins ,Bervotes etc maybe, but all these riders had far less injuries and were there in points the whole time for Everts to slip up .

As far as Reed and Vuilliman no in hell would they have had anything for Everts, Tortelli was very even and would deff took wins away , but how long would he go uninjured, albe the same.
Forty
3/14/2019 5:58pm
Townley would have copped a trophy or two if he stayed.
agn5009
3/14/2019 6:09pm
brimx153 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
The reason guys are taking 3rd one week and 10th the next is because of the level of competition. It’s not because of inconsistency. The top...

brimx153 wrote:
I agree there is more rider s that are faster , but look at it like this take AC biggest competition, Febvre ,Gajser, Desalie ,Paulin how...
I agree there is more rider s that are faster , but look at it like this take AC biggest competition, Febvre ,Gajser, Desalie ,Paulin how many years in a row have these guys got injured Desalie has only completed 3 seasons without getting injured and I think he even missed one race in one of those years .febvre been injured the last two years , Gajser gets injured alot or throws it away . Are these guys faster than Smeets ,Coppins ,Bervotes etc maybe, but all these riders had far less injuries and were there in points the whole time for Everts to slip up .

As far as Reed and Vuilliman no in hell would they have had anything for Everts, Tortelli was very even and would deff took wins away , but how long would he go uninjured, albe the same.
I honestly believe if Reed had stayed in the MXGP series he would’ve won a few titles.
ti473
3/14/2019 6:34pm
What's a CC though??
Crush
3/14/2019 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 9:55pm
You can point to both having major comp that left, especially comp that beat them.

Albee and Tortelli left. Everts would have less titles if they stayed.

Pourcel, Rattray and Townley left. TC would have less there too.

Injuries cost them title runs in the mid part of their career (Stefan on the Husky years and TC lost titles to Febvre and Gasjer that you'd assume he'd have contended for)

BUT IMO, I slightly give the nod to Stefan...because he beat a bunch of champions for titles... Smets, Pichon, Moore, Bolley, Townley, Ramon, Bartolini, King etc

And he also beat another bunch of dudes who seemed to contend more consistently than Tony's rivals. I think Bervoerts, Vohland, Tragjter, Demaria and Beirer – all of whom had their issues – would beat up on the inconsistencies of Dessalle, Paulin, Van Horebeek, De Dycker, Nagl, Phillipaerts etc

Tony's championship level comp were Pourcel (who'd beaten him previously), Chiodi (Not sure if still prime) and Herlings who was injured part the year.

Splitting hairs and they're both amazing, but Stefan had to slay some bigger dragons imo.

Post a reply to: If Tony wins his tenth CC

The Latest