If Tomac punts Webb

Drtbykr
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2019 12:19am
Much different than if he had of punted The Dunge. That would be PR disaster.

Webb punted on the other hand would be greeted with some cheers (if Webb doesn’t get hurt).

ET3 has to be frustrated, deja vue. What to do for 7 figures?
|
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
4/13/2019 2:00pm
I'd be surprised if he did, Tomac is one of the cleanest racers out there.
shuggs
4/13/2019 2:06pm
soggy wrote:
And he does not have a SX title!! I think he should punt Webb as long as no injuries it would be fine, im sure these guys know where to hit bike to break it.

It would mean a change for Eli but I would to win a championship
drt410
4/13/2019 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 2:07pm
Marvin is on record multiple times, even still saying in races since, that hes going to get webb back. Well see, but Ive been pretty surprised to hear it.
4/13/2019 2:10pm
After what Musquin did to Tomac last year for a win bonus I wouldn’t be surprised.

After Tomac held up at Vegas to punt Dungey I wouldn’t be surprised.

It’s dog eat dog no matter what they’re saying.

The Shop

plowboy
4/13/2019 2:11pm
soggy wrote:
Agree. If the "feeling good" Eli shows up it won't even matter. He will either start ahead of Webb or just motor past him like he's tied to a post.
seventeen
4/13/2019 2:11pm
In a hushed tone the Devil on Tomac's left shoulder says "DO IT!"
Akira
4/13/2019 2:12pm
Drtbykr wrote:
Much different than if he had of punted The Dunge. That would be PR disaster. Webb punted on the other hand would be greeted with some...
Much different than if he had of punted The Dunge. That would be PR disaster.

Webb punted on the other hand would be greeted with some cheers (if Webb doesn’t get hurt).

ET3 has to be frustrated, deja vue. What to do for 7 figures?
As you said deja cue, he is not going to.
4/13/2019 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 2:14pm
drt410 wrote:
Marvin is on record multiple times, even still saying in races since, that hes going to get webb back. Well see, but Ive been pretty surprised...
Marvin is on record multiple times, even still saying in races since, that hes going to get webb back. Well see, but Ive been pretty surprised to hear it.
Nah, the team had a "discussion" and officially put a kibosh on that ish, according to today's (excellent) RDL interview with Zach Osborne.

As for Tomac, I highly doubt he's looking to interact with Webb in any way, other than get a better start and sail TF away from any RBKTM dramatics.
GODZILLA
4/13/2019 2:14pm
drt410 wrote:
Marvin is on record multiple times, even still saying in races since, that hes going to get webb back. Well see, but Ive been pretty surprised...
Woah, I bet Webb is terrified.
Laughing
4/13/2019 2:17pm
drt410 wrote:
GODZILLA wrote:
Woah, I bet Webb is terrified.
Laughing
According to today's qualifying times, Webb should be more terrified of just being beat straight up Laughing
Bidirella
4/13/2019 2:18pm
Tomac never made a move back on Musquin, why would he make a move on Webb? He either fade or is flying by in the whoops
Keith72
4/13/2019 2:24pm
After what Musquin did to Tomac last year for a win bonus I wouldn’t be surprised. After Tomac held up at Vegas to punt Dungey I...
After what Musquin did to Tomac last year for a win bonus I wouldn’t be surprised.

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word "punt".
Ranman68
4/13/2019 2:28pm
soggy wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Agree. If the "feeling good" Eli shows up it won't even matter. He will either start ahead of Webb or just motor past him like he's...
Agree. If the "feeling good" Eli shows up it won't even matter. He will either start ahead of Webb or just motor past him like he's tied to a post.
No doubt a "feeling it" Tomac will win every moto regardless of his start, but if Coop keeps running top 3 or 4 it won't be enough. Even a "feeling it" Tomac may wind up on the starting line at Vegas in a position where he must win and Webb must place outside of the top 5.
At that point, Eli will no doubt be thinking "To punt Webb or not to punt Webb....that is the question". In that scenario and given an opportunity in the race to punt Webb AND win it, do you think Tomac will get his punt on? I'm thinking he would.
ridge
4/13/2019 2:29pm
I'm a Webb fan, but if I were ever in Tomac's position, and I felt a win streak coming on...Webb is getting punted.
ledger
4/13/2019 2:34pm
I'd hate to think what the powers at KTM would do if Tomac did to Webb what Musquin did at Foxborough.
4/13/2019 2:34pm
After what Musquin did to Tomac last year for a win bonus I wouldn’t be surprised. After Tomac held up at Vegas to punt Dungey I...

Keith72 wrote:
You obviously don't know the meaning of the word "punt".
Maybe I don’t. Help a brother out would ya?
plowboy
4/13/2019 2:38pm
soggy wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Agree. If the "feeling good" Eli shows up it won't even matter. He will either start ahead of Webb or just motor past him like he's...
Ranman68 wrote:
No doubt a "feeling it" Tomac will win every moto regardless of his start, but if Coop keeps running top 3 or 4 it won't be...
No doubt a "feeling it" Tomac will win every moto regardless of his start, but if Coop keeps running top 3 or 4 it won't be enough. Even a "feeling it" Tomac may wind up on the starting line at Vegas in a position where he must win and Webb must place outside of the top 5.
At that point, Eli will no doubt be thinking "To punt Webb or not to punt Webb....that is the question". In that scenario and given an opportunity in the race to punt Webb AND win it, do you think Tomac will get his punt on? I'm thinking he would.
In your scenario...Eli will punt.
500 Mike
4/13/2019 2:42pm
Dunge was too nice of a guy. Webb, not so much.
ShipLap
4/13/2019 2:43pm
If Tomac won out and Webb got two 4th's and one 3rd, Webb would take the title.

If Tomac won out and Webb gets three 4th's, they tie, but Tomac takes the title based on more race wins.

Webb is heavily favored to take the title.
4/13/2019 2:48pm
500 Mike wrote:
We saw what "Angry Dunge" could do and it wasn`t pretty, he was much better at just beating them for the title than taking them out.
4/13/2019 2:55pm
No and I never said he did - y’all need to reread what I wrote - “held up TO punt Dungey” (he sure as hell didn’t slow up at Vegas to cheer Dungey on) - in the end he didn’t but he obviously considered it. That’s why I am stating above that I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to punt Webb.
downard254
4/13/2019 3:01pm
500 Mike wrote:
Agreed. I think if Tomac were to take it to Webb, Webb will come back at him. Dungey was smarter than that, but I think Webb has some experience in the Slam, Bam, Thank You Ma’am department.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
4/13/2019 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 3:09pm
500 Mike wrote:
Tomac “bunching him up” in Vegas honestly makes it hard for me to be a fan of him, to this day. Dungey is the nicest dude and for some reason tomac having to use some, in my opinion, lame last ditch effort type tactic at Vegas made me dislike him a bit.

If tomac punted Webb this season would end in a blaze of glory for someone. Who knows which person that may be haha
4/13/2019 3:12pm
And for the record, and even though I think Zach was just using Joey as a berm at that point in the race, I believe this is what punting someone generally looks like - y’all help me out if I’m wrong please.

Drtbykr
4/13/2019 3:19pm
And for the record, and even though I think Zach was just using Joey as a berm at that point in the race, I believe this...
And for the record, and even though I think Zach was just using Joey as a berm at that point in the race, I believe this is what punting someone generally looks like - y’all help me out if I’m wrong please.

It’s a good start. In Denver, if a rider goes off the side of the track they are sliding out.

Positions to be lost. None of the great champions pulled punches. Roberts on a road bike, Hannah, Barnett, on a dirt bike, savages.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/13/2019 3:23pm
500 Mike wrote:
Tomac “bunching him up” in Vegas honestly makes it hard for me to be a fan of him, to this day. Dungey is the nicest dude...
Tomac “bunching him up” in Vegas honestly makes it hard for me to be a fan of him, to this day. Dungey is the nicest dude and for some reason tomac having to use some, in my opinion, lame last ditch effort type tactic at Vegas made me dislike him a bit.

If tomac punted Webb this season would end in a blaze of glory for someone. Who knows which person that may be haha
I was a pretty big Dungey fan back when he was riding (still am a fan of him in general). I have a lot of respect for what Tomac did (and didn't do) in Vegas to be honest. He tried to make things uncomfortable for Dungey and make him work for the title, but he didn't do anything like "punting" him. Tomac could have done to Dungey what Marvin did at Foxborough last year and that would have won Tomac the championship. Somehow, it was acceptable from Marvin for a single race win, but not ok for Tomac to "bunch them up" and making things more difficult on Dungey? I was 100% ok with what Tomac did at Vegas. He was trying to win a title but not actively punt anyone in the process. Hell Osborne punted Savatgy for a championship and he was praised - frankly I don't blame ZO. I don't see how anyone can hold Vegas 2 years ago against Tomac. Shoot, I was a Dungey fan and didn't think anything of it at the time. A decade ago, Reed tried to do something similar to JS back in 2009, checkers or wreckers baby (straight from Reed's mouth).

And for the record, I like all these riders. Dungey was a favorite just because he's such a good guy and I met him in person outside of Moto multiple times.
kpiper
4/13/2019 3:29pm
And for the record, and even though I think Zach was just using Joey as a berm at that point in the race, I believe this...

Yes! That my friend is a 'punt'! What Tomac did in Vegas was nothing. Just a tactic used in bicycle racing all the time. Wonder if his father came up with the idea.

Eli never got back at Marv (big mistake I feel) so I don't see him taking anyone out with a punt. Marv deserved a punt badly and Eli let him slide on it.
jonesaustin
4/13/2019 3:51pm
when you take a rider out, you're wimping out yourself, because though cloaked in a facade of aggression, it's more like spiking yor competitions' redbull with a sedative. basically it says "I can't race this guy straight up, so I want to get him out".
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
4/13/2019 3:57pm
500 Mike wrote:
Tomac “bunching him up” in Vegas honestly makes it hard for me to be a fan of him, to this day. Dungey is the nicest dude...

TbonesPop wrote:
I was a pretty big Dungey fan back when he was riding (still am a fan of him in general). I have a lot of respect...
I was a pretty big Dungey fan back when he was riding (still am a fan of him in general). I have a lot of respect for what Tomac did (and didn't do) in Vegas to be honest. He tried to make things uncomfortable for Dungey and make him work for the title, but he didn't do anything like "punting" him. Tomac could have done to Dungey what Marvin did at Foxborough last year and that would have won Tomac the championship. Somehow, it was acceptable from Marvin for a single race win, but not ok for Tomac to "bunch them up" and making things more difficult on Dungey? I was 100% ok with what Tomac did at Vegas. He was trying to win a title but not actively punt anyone in the process. Hell Osborne punted Savatgy for a championship and he was praised - frankly I don't blame ZO. I don't see how anyone can hold Vegas 2 years ago against Tomac. Shoot, I was a Dungey fan and didn't think anything of it at the time. A decade ago, Reed tried to do something similar to JS back in 2009, checkers or wreckers baby (straight from Reed's mouth).

And for the record, I like all these riders. Dungey was a favorite just because he's such a good guy and I met him in person outside of Moto multiple times.
Good comparison. I don’t think what Marvin did at Fox borough was kosher, personally, but mostly because he isn’t faster or more consistent and was moving backwards.

I like your perspective though. Maybe I’m being too hard on the Mac. The last couple rounds I’ve actually been pulling for him, which I never did prior.
toroP
4/13/2019 4:14pm
Webb would punt anyone. The other top guys seem unwilling to ride like that.

ET, MM, KR, have all seen how CW rides, and should be up for showing Cooper the back side of a berm. Especially Eli, with no team issues. (Ken is pretty far back in points but has some history) But it’s seems unlikely.

Webb wins.

Post a reply to: If Tomac punts Webb

The Latest