If Tomac had punted Dungey.......??

robkinuk
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2017 6:25pm
If any of those cheap shots at trying to punt RD into downtown Vegas would have worked, do you think it might have pissed of US MXDN Team manager Roger DeCoster to not select Eli for Matterley Basin?
Anyone know if Tomac is definitely making himself available for Team USA?
|
Crush
5/8/2017 5:14am
No... and if he'd have done it it'd been as awesome as Osborne's effort.

For a title man. He'll never get a chance to beat Dungey for a title now. He could win more titles, not as good as Dungey.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/8/2017 5:23am
robkinuk wrote:
If any of those cheap shots at trying to punt RD into downtown Vegas would have worked, do you think it might have pissed of US...
If any of those cheap shots at trying to punt RD into downtown Vegas would have worked, do you think it might have pissed of US MXDN Team manager Roger DeCoster to not select Eli for Matterley Basin?
Anyone know if Tomac is definitely making himself available for Team USA?
Not sure what race you watched. But those were not attempts to punt to downtown vegas. Simple block pass.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/8/2017 5:30am
It's not a block pass when you let someone go by to drive them into the tufblock. It's a planned setup and cheap shot.
TM

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
5/8/2017 6:13am
ToolMaker wrote:
It's not a block pass when you let someone go by to drive them into the tufblock. It's a planned setup and cheap shot.
TM
Yes! People are missing that point abundantly.

Osbourne raced forward the entire time.... Tomac raced backwards to attempt putting Ryan down. Qudos to Dungey for not allowing him to do so.

Everyone is saying that Tomac could have done this, could have done that... but the true fact is Ryan didn't allow him to. Eli was trying, Ryan just out played him.
pmshortt2
5/8/2017 6:21am
Crush wrote:
No... and if he'd have done it it'd been as awesome as Osborne's effort. For a title man. He'll never get a chance to beat Dungey...

For a title man. He'll never get a chance to beat Dungey for a title now. He could win more titles, not as good as Dungey.
He should legitimately tried to punt dungey. Fuck it, make it obvious, it's for a championship. Dung would've cried but oh well lol.
motogrady
5/8/2017 6:28am
Yeah, well Dungey had the option to punt 3 a few times also, and didn't.
And 3 was holding him up.

After the first contact, one man would have loved to see the gloves come off.
PabstBR11
5/8/2017 6:32am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
MxKing809 wrote:
Yes! People are missing that point abundantly. Osbourne raced forward the entire time.... Tomac raced backwards to attempt putting Ryan down. Qudos to Dungey for not...

Osbourne raced forward the entire time.... Tomac raced backwards to attempt putting Ryan down. Qudos to Dungey for not allowing him to do so.

Everyone is saying that Tomac could have done this, could have done that... but the true fact is Ryan didn't allow him to. Eli was trying, Ryan just out played him.
So you think if Tomac had really tried to plant him he couldnt have? I also agree that dungey could have done the same, but both chose to keep it at a certain level. But if either of them had decided to really open that can they could have.
dominuscorp
5/8/2017 6:35am
MxKing809 wrote:
Yes! People are missing that point abundantly. Osbourne raced forward the entire time.... Tomac raced backwards to attempt putting Ryan down. Qudos to Dungey for not...

This is an awesome point that is being overlooked. It's about racing forward, not behind you. Seemed out of character for Eli to race behind him. Osborne had his head down racing to the front. 2 different mindsets and the results proved which mindset was the better choice.
Crush
5/8/2017 6:39am
Crush wrote:
No... and if he'd have done it it'd been as awesome as Osborne's effort. For a title man. He'll never get a chance to beat Dungey...

pmshortt2 wrote:
He should legitimately tried to punt dungey. Fuck it, make it obvious, it's for a championship. Dung would've cried but oh well lol.
Considering he just saw a textbook example of how to do it in the 250 main, it was actually pretty disappointing to see him try the low speed bumps.
motogrady
5/8/2017 6:41am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2017 6:48am
MxKing809 wrote:

This is an awesome point that is being overlooked. It's about racing forward, not behind you. Seemed out of character for Eli to race behind him...
This is an awesome point that is being overlooked. It's about racing forward, not behind you. Seemed out of character for Eli to race behind him. Osborne had his head down racing to the front. 2 different mindsets and the results proved which mindset was the better choice.
I dunno guy.
Tomacs only hope was to pull the trigger on 5 if he wanted the brass ring.
Gave it his best shot.
As a manager of either team, you could not ask anything more out of either rider.

Would 3 winning the title keep him off the Mxdn team, I really don't think so.
Roger seems to be the kind of guy that lives in the present, and there's another title out there to be won.

A great series, a great finale.
omalley
5/8/2017 6:47am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
MxKing809 wrote:

For Tomac, racing forward wasn't good enough. He had to win AND have Dungey finish fifth or worse. Everyone knew that if Dungey made the gate and his bike started, he'd pull that off. Tomac did what he apparently thought he had to do to control his own outcome vs winning and letting the chips fall as they may (no pun intended). If I had a 450 title on the line, and all the money that came with it, I'd have zero issue with doing what Tomac did. If it was for 15th in an LCQ it's a different story.
4rings
5/8/2017 6:55am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
MxKing809 wrote:

This!!! Dungey is a smart rider with plenty of experience. He could have stuffed ET a several times but Ryan is simply a class act and was focused on racing forward.
kaptkaos
5/8/2017 6:56am
Tomac needed to make the punt when he passed Ryan the first time on the opening laps, otherwise its a cheap shot and racing backwards rather than forwards. He had another opportunity when Dungey passed him back late, and he took a little shot, but not enough, and Ryans defense was good.

Regarding Zach, that was simply on another level entirely. He mad an epic block pass that was 100% sure to take out Savatgy, and he executed it perfectly. If there was an MX University or text book, they need to use that as a "textbook block pass for the title"

Best pass I have ever personally seen live myself.
tkimb
5/8/2017 6:56am
This is an awesome point that is being overlooked. It's about racing forward, not behind you. Seemed out of character for Eli to race behind him...
Just going out and winning would have been near giving up in Tomacs position, he needed guys in front of Dungey, and everyone knew that wasn't going to happen without a mechanical or something.
He did the only thing he could aside from a blatant take out, kudos to him for fighting for it until the very end
TDeath21
5/8/2017 7:09am
I mean, by the letter of the law, it did work and Dungey should be docked two positions. Dungey definitely gained an advantage while off the track. But that is never enforced, so I don't blame Dungey for doing it.
Ranch Life
5/8/2017 7:09am
If you really think what Tomac did was cheap, then you are just being a Sally. If you think Tomac couldn't have put him in the dirt either if really wanted to, then you really don't understand what he was trying to do. That was his only shot at it with the start Dungey had. How can you blame the guy. I'm more curious why they didn't mention Dungey passing Tomac while he was off the track riding next to the triple. He was digging next to that thing just kicking roost lol.

agn5009
5/8/2017 7:14am
MxKing809 wrote:

It's about winning championships, not "racing forward." When have you ever heard a professional say they're in it to "race forward?" I've never heard it. That's like saying Tom Brady is out there to throw 60 touchdowns per year rather than win the super bowl.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you thought that comment the whole way through.
mxridr
5/8/2017 7:14am
Dungey never gave him the chance, he was aware of Tomacs whereabouts at all times, and laid up in the corners when he could feel Tomac pressing a wheel. You get punted when you go WFO into a corner and refuse to concede the line to the inside guy, and that never happened.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/8/2017 7:15am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
MxKing809 wrote:

PabstBR11 wrote:
So you think if Tomac had really tried to plant him he couldnt have? I also agree that dungey could have done the same, but both...
So you think if Tomac had really tried to plant him he couldnt have? I also agree that dungey could have done the same, but both chose to keep it at a certain level. But if either of them had decided to really open that can they could have.
People are missing the FACT that if ET would have let RD by to do a more serious punt it would have earned a Black Flag. I wouldn't be surprised if ET practiced this during the week, he had to make just enough contact without getting DQed,
Entirely different if you're racing forward.
TM
agn5009
5/8/2017 7:16am
TDeath21 wrote:
I mean, by the letter of the law, it did work and Dungey should be docked two positions. Dungey definitely gained an advantage while off the...
I mean, by the letter of the law, it did work and Dungey should be docked two positions. Dungey definitely gained an advantage while off the track. But that is never enforced, so I don't blame Dungey for doing it.
No he didnt. He went off the track in 1st place and entered back on in second in the safest place possible. I don't think he gained any positions or advantages. No one expects him to enter back in midway through a rhythm section.
5/8/2017 7:21am
MxKing809 wrote:

This ^
BobPA
5/8/2017 7:21am
TDeath21 wrote:
I mean, by the letter of the law, it did work and Dungey should be docked two positions. Dungey definitely gained an advantage while off the...
What advantage did he gain again? He went off the track behind Tomac and entered behind Tomac. We get it you do not like RD or KTM...starting to get pathetic and desperate broski.
TDeath21
5/8/2017 7:32am
TDeath21 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
No he didnt. He went off the track in 1st place and entered back on in second in the safest place possible. I don't think he...
No he didnt. He went off the track in 1st place and entered back on in second in the safest place possible. I don't think he gained any positions or advantages. No one expects him to enter back in midway through a rhythm section.
Well this is wrong. He exited in 2nd, went at a high rate of speed around the obstacles Tomac had to go through, and entered in 1st. He rolled the next jump and Tomac jumped over him. Had Dungey fought to stay on the track, he'd have been much further back. Again, I don't blame him for doing it. Villopoto did it often. I remember Canard doing it while battling Stewart at Millville. Everyone does it. I'm just saying that I wish this were enforced more. And by the letter of the law, Dungey should be docked.
tasco
TDeath21 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
What advantage did he gain again? He went off the track behind Tomac and entered behind Tomac. We get it you do not like RD or...
What advantage did he gain again? He went off the track behind Tomac and entered behind Tomac. We get it you do not like RD or KTM...starting to get pathetic and desperate broski.
He entered the track in front of eli.
early
Fantasy
2212th
ToolMaker wrote:
People are missing the FACT that if ET would have let RD by to do a more serious punt it would have earned a Black Flag...
People are missing the FACT that if ET would have let RD by to do a more serious punt it would have earned a Black Flag. I wouldn't be surprised if ET practiced this during the week, he had to make just enough contact without getting DQed,
Entirely different if you're racing forward.
TM
This Tomac didnt want to make it contraversial (epic fail i guess haha) by doing anything blatantly that could get him penalized. He executed block passes that were not overly aggresive.

Rewatching the 250 main last night Osbornes pass was agressive but it looked like Savatgys handlebar hooked onto Zachs bike and got pulled into a flip, o it looked like a bigger takeout than an aggresive block.
TDeath21
5/8/2017 7:33am
TDeath21 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
What advantage did he gain again? He went off the track behind Tomac and entered behind Tomac. We get it you do not like RD or...
I like Dungey a lot actually. The classiest rider I've ever seen. Huge fan. I'm happy for him. Just pointing out a flaw in the rules that everyone exploits.
BobPA
5/8/2017 7:49am
TDeath21 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
tasco wrote:
He entered the track in front of eli.
Watch it again. He enters about even and Eli and Anderson go by. He was not able to double out of the turn
C_Hart3
5/8/2017 8:20am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
MxKing809 wrote:

How do you know that he was letting Ryan by on purpose to just come back and make the hit on him? Maybe in his attempt to slow things up so everyone else could stay close and cause more commotion Ryan just got by him and Eli had to take the position back to make sure he controlled the tempo...

The whole "he could have done this or that" is because he could have. Zacko did it, Jason did it twice. I don't think you have much control over how hard someone hits you when you give them the chance to take you high. I don't think Eli wanted to crash Ryan, he wanted to rattle him and try to get him to make the mistake or have one of the other guys get close enough to cause commotion or pass, besides he wouldn't risk taking himself out too.

Maybe it would have been better if he just punted him that first time, but you all would still call him dirty, at least this way, at least in his mind (and many other racing fan minds) he raced clean, smart, he did what he had to do without being dirty.
C_Hart3
5/8/2017 8:24am
MxKing809 wrote:

But Eli didn't have to race from behind. I assure you had he been back in the pack like Zack he would have.

Post a reply to: If Tomac had punted Dungey.......??

The Latest