If NASCAR can, why can't we...?

ktmwoods
So if they are racing should we expect Feld to follow suit? Seems like there is a way for SX to s a f e l y race w no fans, I know we have had previous discussions but there are now two existing sport precedents to follow with UFC being the other.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29118934/nascar-goes-gree…
|
pbody
Fantasy
347th
4/30/2020 12:57pm
One big difference is going to be minimal travel requirements....they are doing all these initial races in 2 states (NC/SC) in close proximity to Charlotte where the NASCAR world is based.

Just have to find a state with a stadium that has control over the cases. AZ has only worsened in the last 2 weeks. Yesterday was the biggest day of new cases.
4/30/2020 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 1:00pm
Because NASCAR has a 5 billion dollar television contract driving their event revenue and we don't?
Anton_514
4/30/2020 1:00pm
"Although Florida and Texas have invited NASCAR to compete in those states without spectators, the sanctioning body is holding off on scheduling events at tracks that require air travel and hotel accommodations."

This seems like it's a very, very important detail. It's less than two hours from Hendrick's race shop to Darlington, only six minutes to the front gate at Charlotte. NASCAR now owns Darlington through their purchase of the International Speedway Corporation in 2019, so they're racing on their property, too.

Once you dig into the details, you see how many differences there are between the two race series.

The Shop

mx1313
4/30/2020 1:03pm
People still watch NASCAR? W.....T....F!???
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/30/2020 2:15pm
Because NASCAR has a 5 billion dollar television contract driving their event revenue and we don't?
Minor detail.
9bro9
4/30/2020 2:23pm
They should hold the remaining rounds in Salt Lake City... IDK why that hasn't been brought into the discussion yet, I kinda figured Utah Sports Commission would have swayed votes this way.
FlaNard
4/30/2020 2:26pm
9bro9 wrote:
They should hold the remaining rounds in Salt Lake City... IDK why that hasn't been brought into the discussion yet, I kinda figured Utah Sports Commission...
They should hold the remaining rounds in Salt Lake City... IDK why that hasn't been brought into the discussion yet, I kinda figured Utah Sports Commission would have swayed votes this way.
Right? It's 75 degrees right now. It's perfect for it here.
ktmwoods
4/30/2020 3:19pm
GuyB wrote:
Minor detail.
So the NASCAR sponsors and TV package are somehow more important just because of total value ( it is not $5 bil btw) than the SX sponsors and the visibility they all have invested in is not worth the effort? Look - I get all the geography challenges, but plenty have posted some viable locations in CA, AZ, NV, FL, Utah.

Or I guess just rest on our laurels.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/30/2020 3:23pm
ktmwoods wrote:
So the NASCAR sponsors and TV package are somehow more important just because of total value ( it is not $5 bil btw) than the SX...
So the NASCAR sponsors and TV package are somehow more important just because of total value ( it is not $5 bil btw) than the SX sponsors and the visibility they all have invested in is not worth the effort? Look - I get all the geography challenges, but plenty have posted some viable locations in CA, AZ, NV, FL, Utah.

The point I was trying to make is that I believe the teams also get a share of TV revenue from NASCAR. Not so much on our side.

That will become an even bigger issue if companies that sponsor teams struggle in the economic downturn, and are slow (or don't) pay the teams what they're owed.
ktmwoods
4/30/2020 3:31pm
ktmwoods wrote:
So the NASCAR sponsors and TV package are somehow more important just because of total value ( it is not $5 bil btw) than the SX...

GuyB wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that I believe the teams also get a share of TV revenue from NASCAR. Not so much on...
The point I was trying to make is that I believe the teams also get a share of TV revenue from NASCAR. Not so much on our side.

That will become an even bigger issue if companies that sponsor teams struggle in the economic downturn, and are slow (or don't) pay the teams what they're owed.
GREAT point GuyB, I fully agree there and have always advocated for Feld to up the purse drastically or subsidize the riders / their 'entertainers', privateers etc to a fair level. Not so they own & control them like Monster Jam, but build an equitable revenue share like NBA and NFL have magically done - and yes I realize they have players' associations / unions that help that and it is high time we did as well.
Indy mxer
4/30/2020 5:07pm
9bro9 wrote:
They should hold the remaining rounds in Salt Lake City... IDK why that hasn't been brought into the discussion yet, I kinda figured Utah Sports Commission...
That would be a great place to do a few rounds. Utah really supports and embraces extreme sports. I wish Indiana was that forward thinking.
4/30/2020 10:37pm
My daughters boyfriend works for Nascar Corporate in sales. You would be AMAZED at how much a ton of people pay to attend a NASCAR race with their whole packages. Thousands of dollars. It is really stupid money to go to the race, but many pay it. Motocross has nothing that compares to it.

Nascar also has a huge TV deal, and they either go racing or lose millions in the TV deal. Motocross has no deal even close to their deal. Even though the seats are more empty than they used to be in Nascar, the sport is still pretty strong.

I know many are hoping to get back racing soon, to make money again. Nascar also owns 9 tracks they race at themselves.
tek14
5/1/2020 12:15am
mx1313 wrote:
People still watch NASCAR? W.....T....F!???
If there are only NASCAR and UFC... Who hell is watching UFC?
brapgod69
5/1/2020 3:03am
9bro9 wrote:
I’ve thought the same thing. Less than 50 deaths total from Coronaviris and not many new cases. Weather is perfect right now too.
APLMAN99
5/1/2020 5:53am
GuyB wrote:
Minor detail.
ktmwoods wrote:

You’re right, between ESPN and NBC, the total of the current contracts isn’t $5B. The totals are actually $8.2B......
tprice07
5/1/2020 6:47am
Bring the racing to Iowa, our governor is probably going to mandate people attend events at some point here. Seems like they are pretty motivated here to open the economy back up. I'm guessing "we" are running out of money.

In all seriousness, if mx sports needs a venue Oak Ridge could be a very realistic option: https://www.instagram.com/oakridgemx/
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/1/2020 8:43am
9bro9 wrote:
Do you know if Utah is actively doing anything different to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, or have you just been lucky there?

Utah has one of the lowest rates of cases per capita in the country, and they also have one of the highest testing rates in the country. Only Wyoming and Alaska have lower death rates in the country, and they have the advantage of being extremely sparsely populated.
5/1/2020 8:59am
tek14 wrote:
If there are only NASCAR and UFC... Who hell is watching UFC?
I'd rather watch reruns of The Partridge Family than watch NASCAR or UFC.
9bro9
5/1/2020 11:23am
9bro9 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Do you know if Utah is actively doing anything different to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, or have you just been lucky there? Utah has...
Do you know if Utah is actively doing anything different to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, or have you just been lucky there?

Utah has one of the lowest rates of cases per capita in the country, and they also have one of the highest testing rates in the country. Only Wyoming and Alaska have lower death rates in the country, and they have the advantage of being extremely sparsely populated.
I feel like we were ahead of the "hotspot states" when it came time to isolate from the numerous articles I've read. Cases have shown a noticeable plateau trend, we saw an influx when testing capabilities increased which was expected. Our Governor implemented a "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order back on March 23rd until May 1st where we shift to the second phase to get our economy flowing again, it'll be interesting to see how things go this weekend.

Last weekend there were several state parks that had opened up to public with no visitor restrictions, they wound up having to shut down midday due to overcrowding. Also, forgot to mention that there was something implemented along the lines of a "Travel Declaration Order" that the state has geofenced the road entry points so that anyone traveling into the state will receive a text message from the federal wireless emergency alert system. That text will instruct them on how to fill out the declaration form once they pull over.
kpiper
5/2/2020 7:14pm
GuyB wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that I believe the teams also get a share of TV revenue from NASCAR. Not so much on...

I am curious as to what are the main reasons they want to squeeze in the remaining Supercross races?
Do you know?

Do they make any money with no spectators? Does the promoter make much from TV or do they count on fans buying tickets to make a profit?

Does Feld have to give back sponsor money if no more SX? Do the teams have to 'refund' sponsor money if only ten races are held?

Just wondering about the driving factors in this decision.
aeffertz
5/2/2020 7:28pm
kpiper wrote:
I am curious as to what are the main reasons they want to squeeze in the remaining Supercross races? Do you know? Do they make any...
I am curious as to what are the main reasons they want to squeeze in the remaining Supercross races?
Do you know?

Do they make any money with no spectators? Does the promoter make much from TV or do they count on fans buying tickets to make a profit?

Does Feld have to give back sponsor money if no more SX? Do the teams have to 'refund' sponsor money if only ten races are held?

Feld gets a massive paycheck from NBC if they hold the races.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/2/2020 9:44pm
ktmwoods wrote:
GREAT point GuyB, I fully agree there and have always advocated for Feld to up the purse drastically or subsidize the riders / their 'entertainers', privateers...
GREAT point GuyB, I fully agree there and have always advocated for Feld to up the purse drastically or subsidize the riders / their 'entertainers', privateers etc to a fair level. Not so they own & control them like Monster Jam, but build an equitable revenue share like NBA and NFL have magically done - and yes I realize they have players' associations / unions that help that and it is high time we did as well.
agreed, if Feld are getting TV money, there should at least be a end of year points fund,
JustMX
5/3/2020 3:59am
kpiper wrote:
I am curious as to what are the main reasons they want to squeeze in the remaining Supercross races? Do you know? Do they make any...
Do you know?

aeffertz wrote:
Feld gets a massive paycheck from NBC if they hold the races.
Since you seem to have an inside line, define "massive".

logan_140
5/3/2020 9:56am
My guess would be that supercross doesn’t have a huge tv contract like other big sports. They rely solely on ticket sales for revenue, and at the end of the day feld is an entertainment company and has to make money.
ktmwoods
5/3/2020 6:00pm
logan_140 wrote:
My guess would be that supercross doesn’t have a huge tv contract like other big sports. They rely solely on ticket sales for revenue, and at...
My guess would be that supercross doesn’t have a huge tv contract like other big sports. They rely solely on ticket sales for revenue, and at the end of the day feld is an entertainment company and has to make money.
Revenue streams for SX are from merch, concessions, tickets, sponsorship of series as well as individual sponsorship of events and a very small portion of licensing revenue (which could be much larger in future years).

My earlier point is that if we have zero events, that equates to zero revenue and ultimately the riders have no platform for sponsor exposure and the whole industry suffers as a consequence.
logan_140
5/3/2020 7:10pm
logan_140 wrote:
My guess would be that supercross doesn’t have a huge tv contract like other big sports. They rely solely on ticket sales for revenue, and at...
ktmwoods wrote:
Revenue streams for SX are from merch, concessions, tickets, sponsorship of series as well as individual sponsorship of events and a very small portion of licensing...
Revenue streams for SX are from merch, concessions, tickets, sponsorship of series as well as individual sponsorship of events and a very small portion of licensing revenue (which could be much larger in future years).

My earlier point is that if we have zero events, that equates to zero revenue and ultimately the riders have no platform for sponsor exposure and the whole industry suffers as a consequence.
That’s true to. I agree we need to race. I was just saying SX doesn’t have the huge tv contracts. Hope we can get these rounds in..
5/3/2020 8:48pm
logan_140 wrote:
I don’t know the details but I believe it has been said that FELD does have a TV contract with NBC and if they don’t manage to get 17 rounds in they won’t get paid for said contract. This is why they are even looking at holding events without fans.

The outdoors on the other hand does rely on spectators to make money and I would think that series is more in jeopardy as I don’t foresee them being allowed to have fans at the races any time soon.
ktmwoods
5/14/2020 7:47pm
Well look at us, SLC 7 rounds this makes me very happy and I know we will garner new fans and eyeballs on our sport. Yay Supercross!
5/14/2020 7:50pm
The same reason Walmart is open but all the little stores aren't I guess. $$$$$$$$$$

Post a reply to: If NASCAR can, why can't we...?

The Latest