If James Career ended today....

Gym Briggs
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:07am
Where would he rank among the greatest racers of all time?
|
UAW_member
3/19/2011 10:49pm
He'd rank pretty high but would get knocked for not reaching his potential.
3/19/2011 10:51pm
Between Ricky Carmichael and Jeff Emig

I don't know the older guys good enough to know where they rank
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/19/2011 11:11pm
UAW_member wrote:
So like Damon Bradshaw.
Vazscep
3/19/2011 11:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2011 11:16pm
Gym Briggs wrote:
Top five greatest riders of all time; top 125 guy of all time, and fastest SX rider ever.

The Shop

munsch121
3/19/2011 11:22pm
I know its easy for me to say, but I get chills when I think what James could have accomplished thus far if he would learn to back it down 2% once in a while. Almost all of his wrecks I have seen, since the 259 days, leave me thinking "what the hell happened there"....
kongols
3/19/2011 11:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2011 11:24pm
Why the fuck is this brought up TODAY?
Gym Briggs
3/19/2011 11:29pm
UAW_member wrote:
GuyB wrote:
So like Damon Bradshaw.
Bradshaw is more like a Pastrana as far as potential. Killed 125's but didn't deliver on big bikes! JS7 atleast has multiple big bike championship!
Motodrew295
3/20/2011 12:20am
UAW_member wrote:
Hopefully its not a knock to the head. Cheerful
MCfan4life
3/20/2011 12:30am
Gym Briggs wrote:
Vazscep wrote:
Top five greatest riders of all time; top 125 guy of all time, and fastest SX rider ever.
Fastest SX rider ever

You've never heard of Jeremy McGrath?
WhKnuckle
3/20/2011 3:58am
If I'm remembering right, Ryan Hughes said something on one of the Great Outdoors DVDs, like: "James Stewart is a great rider, probably the fastest man to ever put a leg over a motorcycle. But he's not the greatest racer, because RC will be that until the sport dies."

If that's the end of the road for his career, I'll feel privileged to have seen him race. I've seen a lot of riders, and I don't think I ever saw anyone who could match his willingness to do whatever he could, take any risk, to find the absolute maximum speed that he could go. He has been an artist on a motorcycle, and like most artists, some people like his work and some don't. Stewart had speed in his inner person and he expressed that on the track - the closest parallel I can remember in another rider was Danny Chandler, who also paid a big price for his art.
jackson222
3/20/2011 4:30am
I know that I'm not going to get through to most of the idiots on this board, but lets try make it clear, James may be the "fastest man on the planet" today (although I disagree, he isn't cleaning up in the speed department as easily as he used to) but he CANNOT be regarded as the fastest SX racer of all time.

Riders will come along and benefit from new technology and changing tracks, as well as improved and new techniques in the sport, and will be faster then James ever was. There was a time when Mcgrath was the fastest Supercross racer ever and people doubted and wondered how the sport would go to the next level, now there are a handful of guys who are easily faster then Jeremy was. It's called progression.
eb313
3/20/2011 5:42am
jackson222 wrote:
I know that I'm not going to get through to most of the idiots on this board, but lets try make it clear, James may be...
I know that I'm not going to get through to most of the idiots on this board, but lets try make it clear, James may be the "fastest man on the planet" today (although I disagree, he isn't cleaning up in the speed department as easily as he used to) but he CANNOT be regarded as the fastest SX racer of all time.

Riders will come along and benefit from new technology and changing tracks, as well as improved and new techniques in the sport, and will be faster then James ever was. There was a time when Mcgrath was the fastest Supercross racer ever and people doubted and wondered how the sport would go to the next level, now there are a handful of guys who are easily faster then Jeremy was. It's called progression.
Well put, also there is a kid from Florida named Adam that may..........
Unbidliama
3/20/2011 6:06am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2011 6:08am
I think anybody of the "fab 5" can match bubba's speed or at least come very very close. But the fact is that it's not posible to go that fast without taking A LOT of risk. We all know james can run that speed for a lot of laps. Sometimes even 20. But we also know he goes down a lot a lot lot....

I just think james owes his status to ride on the edge. Others don't.
`ol Ger
3/20/2011 6:29am
Chandler comes to mind here, too...
RaceFace
3/20/2011 7:00am
James will be known as one of the most talented racers, who crashed himself out of the most title points chases. We can list 5 titles that would have been his if not for him crashing, getting injured...some while leading the points. He has 5 titles which is in the realm of a lot of guys. He probably should have 10 titles as we speak, which would put him behind RC in total titles.

I would put him (right now) behind Hannah, Johnson, MC (of course), Broc Glover, Wardy as they all have more titles. I put him ahead of Stanton, Emig, Larocco, Reed because they have less titles.
Hank_Thrill
3/20/2011 7:11am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2011 7:17am
I'm kind of tired of the whole "what if" and classification of riders in this sport. Anybody who makes the night show for a supercross is a total badass, and anybody who has as many MX/SX wins as James is a god on two wheels.

That said, James Stewart is one of the greatest racers/riders of all time, and that's all that really matters. He stomped everyone's ass on the 125cc and put up a hell of a fight his rookie year on the two stroke (against the thumpers outdoors). At the beginning of his big bike career, a lot of riders had been mentally beaten down by Ricky, and had lost all hope in themselves. Despite coming up short on some titles, James put up a warrior's effort, schooling Ricky almost on a weekly basis in supercross and took it to him on his own turf racing outdoors - and to me, that is badass! James should not be remembered in comparison to Ricky though, but rather as one of the most amazing and exciting to watch racers to EVER throw a leg over a motorcycle.

Only one guy will hold up the championship trophy in Vegas, but Reed, Stewart, RV, Canard, and Dungey have all ridden like champions this year, and in a sense, I'm genuinely sadden that four of them are going to walk away from the track in Vegas with their head down, given their incredible champion efforts.

He's not done yet though, so we should all cherish the next however many years he decides to race.
mattmatt300
3/20/2011 7:20am
jackson222 wrote:
I know that I'm not going to get through to most of the idiots on this board, but lets try make it clear, James may be...

eb313 wrote:
Well put, also there is a kid from Florida named Adam that may..........
that little adam kid will never win a 250 or 450 title (at least not in the U.S.) you heard it here first
MCfan4life
3/20/2011 7:25am
that little adam kid will never win a 250 or 450 title (at least not in the U.S.) you heard it here first
WOW Blink
3/20/2011 8:53am
Vazscep wrote:
James on a 125 = Winning.
CR250Rider
3/20/2011 8:59am
James HIMSELF said on his TV show "this supercross season is a must win"
3/20/2011 9:01am
'If James career ended today...' he would end up being another Lechien, Pastrana, Alessi, Tripes, Swink etc. IMO one of the biggest problems in this professional sport is that a riders window of opportunity occurs at the peak of their physicality (late teens to early 20's) which usually coincides with the valley of their maturity.

Do you suppose if someone posted a picture like this of you when you were 18 it might go to your head a little?

TannerMxer
3/20/2011 9:14am
Gym Briggs wrote:
#3... I mean, he's #3 in all time wins.

But someone is more accurate with the titles portion. He has 6 major titles, that puts him at, I think, #4 because Wardy has 7, right?
humtercarrot
Fantasy
2719th
3/20/2011 9:38am
'If James career ended today...' he would end up being another Lechien, Pastrana, Alessi, Tripes, Swink etc. IMO one of the biggest problems in this professional...
'If James career ended today...' he would end up being another Lechien, Pastrana, Alessi, Tripes, Swink etc. IMO one of the biggest problems in this professional sport is that a riders window of opportunity occurs at the peak of their physicality (late teens to early 20's) which usually coincides with the valley of their maturity.

Do you suppose if someone posted a picture like this of you when you were 18 it might go to your head a little?

That's not James, look at the skin tone...duh
Vazscep
3/20/2011 9:38am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2011 9:39am
Gym Briggs wrote:
Vazscep wrote:
MCfan4life wrote:
Fastest SX rider ever

Yes I have heard of Jeremy McGrath. And Stewart would have laid waste to him on a SX track. Stewart would crash out half the time like he does now, but James would have done what he has done to every other GREAT rider (RC, RV, KW, RD, et al) and pull two seconds a lap on him. If James were in SX during the McGrath years, McGrath would not be known as the king of SX, he would have about three less SX titles if James were there. Bubba is simply the fastest SX rider to have ever raced.
nytsmaC
3/20/2011 11:41am
Some of you sure underrate the man. He was good on a 125, but big bikes not so much? Who else besides RC has ever had a perfect season, 24 for 24 outdoors? He should probably have more, but 3 big bike championships is still hard to argue with. Lechien, Pastrana, Alessi, Tripes, Swink etc? Seriously?
dcmx326
3/20/2011 11:55am
RaceFace wrote:
James will be known as one of the most talented racers, who crashed himself out of the most title points chases. We can list 5 titles...
James will be known as one of the most talented racers, who crashed himself out of the most title points chases. We can list 5 titles that would have been his if not for him crashing, getting injured...some while leading the points. He has 5 titles which is in the realm of a lot of guys. He probably should have 10 titles as we speak, which would put him behind RC in total titles.

I would put him (right now) behind Hannah, Johnson, MC (of course), Broc Glover, Wardy as they all have more titles. I put him ahead of Stanton, Emig, Larocco, Reed because they have less titles.
Stanton has 6 titles which puts him at 1 more than James.
GIwasB4
3/20/2011 11:59am
Just wait until next year! BL said so.
jackson222
3/20/2011 2:04pm
Vazscep wrote:
MCfan4life wrote:
Fastest SX rider ever

Vazscep wrote:
Yes I have heard of Jeremy McGrath. And Stewart would have laid waste to him on a SX track. Stewart would crash out half the time...
Yes I have heard of Jeremy McGrath. And Stewart would have laid waste to him on a SX track. Stewart would crash out half the time like he does now, but James would have done what he has done to every other GREAT rider (RC, RV, KW, RD, et al) and pull two seconds a lap on him. If James were in SX during the McGrath years, McGrath would not be known as the king of SX, he would have about three less SX titles if James were there. Bubba is simply the fastest SX rider to have ever raced.
So from your analogy we can take it that there will NEVER be a rider who can go faster then James Stewart on a SX track?
nc97
3/20/2011 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2011 2:07pm
One of the greatest Riders to have ever thrown a leg over a motorcycle!..There have been a lot of riders over the years that have made there mark in the sport and James has for sure made his mark. One of the best , but no Goat!Wink ..

Post a reply to: If James Career ended today....

The Latest