If I were to move to California ?

woodsrider427
1/30/2019 2:48pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yep i have been broke no matter what state im in lol So may as well be some where nice, i have no idea how people...
Yep i have been broke no matter what state im in lol
So may as well be some where nice, i have no idea how people afford these million dollar houses though.
I wish i could figure it out so i could do it to.
I honestly believe a high percentage of people living in million dollar homes don't really "afford" them. In debt up to their eyeballs would be my guess, bigger income but bigger payments. No real net worth, just a big income with lots of payments.

A good friend of mine, who is also my accountant, would tell me all the time of clients that make $400-500k a year and can't pay their tax bill at the end of the year.
1/30/2019 2:49pm
I want to move from the pastures of KC to SoCal hoping to make it in the movies. I've never acted, but I'm sure I'll do fine. Any advice?
Currently living in my parents basement.
Silas444
1/30/2019 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 3:12pm
Okay, I'll add my two-cents-worth to this. My childhood best bud has always had the best, most eclectic interest in music, so I've always loved listening to whatever new tunes he stumbles across - then he moved to Cali - and now the only thing that plays on the radio in his car and/or the stereo in his house - is the traffic report. I've been pretty much everywhere there is to go, and California, slowly but surely, has become my least favorite State. I dread getting on the plane. SoCal, NorCal - it doesn't matter. If you gave me a ten-million-dollar house for free I wouldn't live there. On the other hand, I was getting some gas for my kick-ass Honda snowblower this morning (it shoots snow 56 feet), and I made a comment about the gloves the guy next to me was wearing because I have a pair just like them. He said, "Yeah, they're okay for a day like today when it's nice out, but they're worthless if it gets cold" I agreed. Oh, by the way - it was fifteen degrees at the time. And no place I'd rather be. Horses for courses, as they say......
1/30/2019 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 3:23pm
nothing quite like people from other states (NM, OK..) bashing CA and rambling on about the politics. Unsure
Its fair game in my opinion when you think about how much nonsense ends up getting exported from California to the rest of the country. Enjoy straws while you can guys!

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/30/2019 3:30pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yep i have been broke no matter what state im in lol So may as well be some where nice, i have no idea how people...
Yep i have been broke no matter what state im in lol
So may as well be some where nice, i have no idea how people afford these million dollar houses though.
I wish i could figure it out so i could do it to.
I honestly believe a high percentage of people living in million dollar homes don't really "afford" them. In debt up to their eyeballs would be my...
I honestly believe a high percentage of people living in million dollar homes don't really "afford" them. In debt up to their eyeballs would be my guess, bigger income but bigger payments. No real net worth, just a big income with lots of payments.

A good friend of mine, who is also my accountant, would tell me all the time of clients that make $400-500k a year and can't pay their tax bill at the end of the year.
Yeah i wasnt guessing most are paying cash, i mean i wish i could afford the payment i couldnt pay 1 months mortgage on a million dollar house.
Jerkolantern
1/30/2019 3:41pm
rikhek wrote:
Here’s the latest annual U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report to Congress on TANF and SSP [welfare] recipients, using the latest figures: U.S.******4,170,107 recipients...
Here’s the latest annual U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report to Congress on TANF and SSP [welfare] recipients, using the latest figures:

U.S.******4,170,107 recipients

CA*******1,803,873 recipients

https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ofa/resource/twelfth-report-to-congress page 20

In other words, CA — with 12% of the nation’s population — has an appalling 43.3% of our nation’s needy that require taxpayer assistance. Last time I checked a few years ago, CA had not quite 1/3 of these welfare recipients. As far as I know, no CA press has reported this increase to 43+%.

THE STUNNING BOTTOM LINE: California has 5.6 TIMES the average percentage of welfare recipients found in the other 49 states.
Yikes. That is nuts
shirey
Fantasy
4092nd
1/30/2019 4:37pm
Y’all sure do paint Alabama out be better than I thought relative to these places. Not too expensive, little traffic, and a decent amount of moto options.
woodsrider427
1/30/2019 5:37pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah i wasnt guessing most are paying cash, i mean i wish i could afford the payment i couldnt pay 1 months mortgage on a million...
Yeah i wasnt guessing most are paying cash, i mean i wish i could afford the payment i couldnt pay 1 months mortgage on a million dollar house.
I guess my point was most of them can't truly "afford" the payment either. I'm sure everyone's definition of affording something is different. My opinion is if you go by the banks standards you would be crazy. I bet a high percentage of the people living that lifestyle are one injury, sickness, or job loss away from bankruptcy.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
1/30/2019 6:27pm
i'm saving up to make the move to oklahoma.... said no one, ever.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2442nd
1/30/2019 6:53pm
Dont come here its not worth it. To expensive and rape you for everything... I cant wait to leave this rat race!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/30/2019 7:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 7:04pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah i wasnt guessing most are paying cash, i mean i wish i could afford the payment i couldnt pay 1 months mortgage on a million...
I guess my point was most of them can't truly "afford" the payment either. I'm sure everyone's definition of affording something is different. My opinion is...
I guess my point was most of them can't truly "afford" the payment either. I'm sure everyone's definition of affording something is different. My opinion is if you go by the banks standards you would be crazy. I bet a high percentage of the people living that lifestyle are one injury, sickness, or job loss away from bankruptcy.
Yeah there is Cant afford it as in its not a good financial decision and cant afford it like , if i wrote a check for 1 months payment it would bounce.
Im guessing the mortgage payment on a million dollar house is $4000 plus which is more than i make a month,
Someone is buying all the houses so i always wonder where the heck do they all work that pays that well.

mxracer71
Fantasy
2442nd
1/30/2019 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 7:20pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I guess my point was most of them can't truly "afford" the payment either. I'm sure everyone's definition of affording something is different. My opinion is...
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah there is Cant afford it as in its not a good financial decision and cant afford it like , if i wrote a check for...
Yeah there is Cant afford it as in its not a good financial decision and cant afford it like , if i wrote a check for 1 months payment it would bounce.
Im guessing the mortgage payment on a million dollar house is $4000 plus which is more than i make a month,
Someone is buying all the houses so i always wonder where the heck do they all work that pays that well.

oh i guarantee it way more then 4k a month for a million dollar house. Here in elsinore my buddys house is right around 450k.His house is over the 3k mark and taxes alone you will add another 1k to your house payment. California is f-ing ridiculous to live.
ob
1/30/2019 8:01pm
You guys stay in TX please
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/31/2019 6:52am
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah there is Cant afford it as in its not a good financial decision and cant afford it like , if i wrote a check for...

mxracer71 wrote:
oh i guarantee it way more then 4k a month for a million dollar house. Here in elsinore my buddys house is right around 450k.His house...
oh i guarantee it way more then 4k a month for a million dollar house. Here in elsinore my buddys house is right around 450k.His house is over the 3k mark and taxes alone you will add another 1k to your house payment. California is f-ing ridiculous to live.
Right so how are that many people able to make that much per month?
woodsrider427
1/31/2019 7:02am
Tarz483 wrote:

mxracer71 wrote:
oh i guarantee it way more then 4k a month for a million dollar house. Here in elsinore my buddys house is right around 450k.His house...
Tarz483 wrote:
One of the great mysteries of the world. I always wonder the same thing.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/31/2019 7:12am
mxracer71 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
I know there is a lot of old money
Family money etc wich i never got in on any of that
Personally, grand parents are long gone and parents are both Broke.
I always wonder to how its possible that nobody in my family ever started a business or owned any land ever.
Its been my personal goal for years to start my own business, but its hard even with good idea's, with
No capital and bad credit.

woodsrider427
1/31/2019 7:27am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 7:29am
Tarz483 wrote:
I know there is a lot of old money Family money etc wich i never got in on any of that Personally, grand parents are long...
I always wonder to how its possible that nobody in my family ever started a business or owned any land ever.
Its been my personal goal for years to start my own business, but its hard even with good idea's, with

What kind of work do you do? I started my business (I'm a remodeling contractor) with nothing, but fortunately it didn't take much capital to do. Just a small truck and tools (and of course some carpentry skills), then built it slowly from there. A very profitable business with very little overhead.

To my point above, we do very little work for people in million dollar homes. They seem to be the ones that balk at the price the most, likely because they probably have very little cash.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/31/2019 7:45am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 7:47am
Tarz483 wrote:
I know there is a lot of old money Family money etc wich i never got in on any of that Personally, grand parents are long...

What kind of work do you do? I started my business (I'm a remodeling contractor) with nothing, but fortunately it didn't take much capital to do...
What kind of work do you do? I started my business (I'm a remodeling contractor) with nothing, but fortunately it didn't take much capital to do. Just a small truck and tools (and of course some carpentry skills), then built it slowly from there. A very profitable business with very little overhead.

To my point above, we do very little work for people in million dollar homes. They seem to be the ones that balk at the price the most, likely because they probably have very little cash.
Right now Car Sales, and its -12 degree's
I just started the job i have, i tried to start my own
Car dealership, but due to not having capital i had to do it with another person 50/50 and that didnt work right away.
So then i was doing what is known as wholesaling Cars
And what i was doing was working, as in there was profit
But due to not having capital i was doing it on to small of a scale to be sustainable. If i was able to scale up a bit the model of what i was doing i have no doubt would be successful.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/31/2019 7:52am
Tarz483 wrote:

What kind of work do you do? I started my business (I'm a remodeling contractor) with nothing, but fortunately it didn't take much capital to do...

Also that sounds like a good business you have, i dont have any trade skills, i wish i did.
woodsrider427
1/31/2019 7:58am
Tarz483 wrote:
Right now Car Sales, and its -12 degree's I just started the job i have, i tried to start my own Car dealership, but due to...
Right now Car Sales, and its -12 degree's
I just started the job i have, i tried to start my own
Car dealership, but due to not having capital i had to do it with another person 50/50 and that didnt work right away.
So then i was doing what is known as wholesaling Cars
And what i was doing was working, as in there was profit
But due to not having capital i was doing it on to small of a scale to be sustainable. If i was able to scale up a bit the model of what i was doing i have no doubt would be successful.
Partnerships are tough, I tried that once at the beginning and it lasted about 2 months before I cut ties.

Car dealerships are tough from what I hear, big overhead businesses scare me. I have a good friend who has worked in the car sales industry forever (new cars) and has worked his way up to management. He does real well but the hours he puts in are crazy.
woodsrider427
1/31/2019 8:06am
Tarz483 wrote:
Also that sounds like a good business you have, i dont have any trade skills, i wish i did.
Thanks, lots of hard work and lean years in the beginning but it has worked out real well in the long run (21 years later!!).

Carpentry just started out as a job after barely making it out of high school, but now I am glad to have the skills. There are many days where I wish I had done something else, but I guess that's probably the same with anything you might do for such a long time.
Bosco
1/31/2019 8:15am
three9zero wrote:
Mountains, lakes, ocean, desert, lush rain forest. Surfing, skiing, snowmobiling,snowboarding, moto, boating, mtn biking.....can do it all in one day. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/30/321968/s1200_bcsatellite.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/30/321969/s1200_mbritishcolumbia.jpg[/img]
Mountains, lakes, ocean, desert, lush rain forest. Surfing, skiing, snowmobiling,snowboarding, moto, boating, mtn biking.....can do it all in one day.

Man BC is the dream. One of my good friends is moving to Kamloops next year, and I'm very tempted to follow him. It seems like it has it all!

What the job market like for mechanical engineers?
BR8ES
1/31/2019 8:18am
I envy and respect those that go for it and work for themselves.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/31/2019 9:15am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 9:16am
Tarz483 wrote:
Thanks, lots of hard work and lean years in the beginning but it has worked out real well in the long run (21 years later!!). Carpentry...
Thanks, lots of hard work and lean years in the beginning but it has worked out real well in the long run (21 years later!!).

Carpentry just started out as a job after barely making it out of high school, but now I am glad to have the skills. There are many days where I wish I had done something else, but I guess that's probably the same with anything you might do for such a long time.
Yeah after that long im sure there are days you wouldnt want to do it no matter what it is.
I got to the point where i was am seriously not feeling like doing what im doing anymore, selling cars, my goal had been to eventually have my own small dealership. Now i dont think i want that anymore even though i know im capable of doing it successfully. Im just not into it anymore.
I feel like the most important thing anyone could ever teach a kid in this day and age is to focus on getting a career in something that really truly interests you, not just do something for money, But some thing you enjoy thinking about and talking about.
You spend more time working them you spend at home or with your family or friends.
1/31/2019 9:25am
I just want a simple place. My family just wants more out of life. I want to probably get a job changing truck tires or at...
I just want a simple place. My family just wants more out of life.
I want to probably get a job changing truck tires or at a mx track or something. I have lots of skills and a work o holic.
We drag through the winters here taking the kids to trampoline parks 13$ an hour or bmx indoor trackshours away.
We need to move to where we can be outdoors year round.
I have seen several houses for rent in modesto and sacramento gor 1k to 1300 a month.
Yuba City / Marysville is sort of looked down on, and as such is still pretty affordable. More so than Stockton or Modesto. South Yuba is a 35-40 minute drive to the Sac Airport, and 45 minutes do Downtown Sac. You can live in YC/Marysville and work in Sac if you dont mind the commute. West Sac is another 5 minutes and a fairly industrial area.

As for tracks if you live in YC / Marysville, you have:
MMX - hard packed point and squirt type track
MMX Sand - short but usually flowing vet style track. Sandy
E Street -More sand. Can be advanced at times. This is where the fast guys usually are.
E Street Vet Track - Less sandy. No big jumps
Riverfront MX Park - Nice track down on the river plain. Not sure if it is still being well maintained. One or two night sessions a week.

All the tracks are within 5 minutes of the Regional Med Center if the sh** goes wrong.

Honda Yamaha Sports Center at 2530 Colusa Hwy is a solid, old fasioned motorcycle dealership with skilled service techs and mechanics.

Yuba City is also known for its sizeable Sikh community. The Sikh population in the Yuba-Sutter Area has grown to be one of the largest in the United States and one of the largest Sikh populations outside of the Punjab state of India.
brocster
1/31/2019 9:27am
mxracer71 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
I often wonder myself when I see the cars and the houses. “What do you do?”

I’m comfortable and have a good job and a good home but hardly much of a house compared to what I had back in louisiana for 25% of the cost.
BAMX
1/31/2019 9:32am
nothing quite like people from other states (NM, OK..) bashing CA and rambling on about the politics. Unsure
Its fair game in my opinion when you think about how much nonsense ends up getting exported from California to the rest of the country. Enjoy...
Its fair game in my opinion when you think about how much nonsense ends up getting exported from California to the rest of the country. Enjoy straws while you can guys!
Trust me, you guys export plenty of idiots here. There is nothing better than some idiot who moved here ten years ago complaining about weather patterns.
1/31/2019 9:42am
California is also really good at ranking dead last when it comes to quality of life.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/01/california-ra…
CA is like 8 different states really, each with their own different culture, lifestyle and standard of living.

*San Diego / LA Rat Race (self explanatory)
*So-Cal Desert up to East Sierra Desert (Desert people are eh....different)
*Central Coast (SB up to Monterrey/Carmel. Wonderful if you can afford it)
*Central Valley (Bakersfield to Redding - the agricultural capital of the world...where all those illegals make cheap vegetables possible)
*Sac River Delta (Disco Bay, Brentwood, Rio, Isleton, and associated very small communities. The delta area is like its own little tiny hidden sub culture in CA. Very unique and not well known)
*Sierra Nevada Mountains. Yosemite to Tahoe.
*Bay Area Rat Race (similar negatives to S. CA...but the geography / the bay is much nicer.)
*Northern CA / Coast

Depending on what you want in life, each of these areas could be heaven for any given person, or likewise hell.
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
1/31/2019 9:47am
Tarz483 wrote:

mxracer71 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Honestly it's the fact that wages are higher. My wife and I are planning on buying a million dollar home in the next two years. The home we currently have in Orange County cost $550k but with a growing family we need a bigger space. Currently our income combined is about $155k but in two years it will be closer to $185k/year. We estimtate our monthly payments including taxes and insurance on a million dollar home to be about $5,500/ month with 100k down.

If you're wondering what we do my wifes a teacher and gets paid BANK! I'm a CPA but still climbing the ladder of the industry.

Post a reply to: If I were to move to California ?

The Latest