If I were to move to California ?

mx836
10/22/2014 1:10pm
Indiana; the not so good. Crime is climbing bad police are everywhere 5 mph over and your getting a ticket water bills 100 bucks gas 3.00...
Indiana; the not so good.

Crime is climbing bad
police are everywhere 5 mph over and your getting a ticket
water bills 100 bucks
gas 3.00 a gal right now
rent 1000.00 a month 3 br 1000sqft
bmx racing very small turnouts and 8 month season
indoor tracks 2/3 hr drive
mx tracks 2/3 hr drive odd hours
4 months of winter
road construction never ends in every major hiway for no reason
$3 a gallon is cheap!!! And I live in Wisconsin man. Those numbers are not high.
Camp332
10/22/2014 1:12pm
Bro, there is always the baddest state in the Union. New Jersey son!

We hit the tanning beds and squat racks during the cold months.
twizzler
10/22/2014 2:42pm
You can't survive in most of the desirable places to live in California if you make less than $100k per year (single) or $150k joint with a family. Yes, you can survive with less $, but you will not be able to afford to do all of the activities you said you want to do. Unless you are independently wealthy! Living expenses here are mostly outrageous. As is fuel (as you will have to drive a LOT), track fees, taxes, DMV costs, etc.... Every agency or state bureau or private firm here wants bookoo $$ for everything. Yes, Cal is a great place with so much to offer - horrific traffic, arrogant people (most not from here), greedy incompetent local and state Govt and Chinese and Persians buying up all housing even further driving up costs. Did I mention horrible traffic and idiot drivers? High rent or mortgage costs for the property you will be inhabiting. You don't get much for what you pay for! The mx tracks in SoCal are not that great either. The dirt is not that great. Glen Helen and Cahuilla are not as good as they used to be. Elsinore is hit and miss and more miss than hit. Milestone is ok but crowded most ride days. Star West and Perris are ok but they are not as good as they used to be. Piru is decent and LACR is coming back which is good. $25 per ride day fees. Plus even if you live in the mx hotbed of Corona or Temecula it will still take you approx. 1 hour to get to most mx tracks most days - traffic is that bad. Traffic in Temecula and the nearby area especially is HORRIBLE! So be careful what you wish for! Northern California may be the most bang for your buck. I'm also from Indiana and moved away from that shit hole loooong ago. California is great but it comes at a significant cost moneywise and lifestyle-wise. If you have $$ and can deal with traffic and crowds of people and don't mind getting ripped off from all angles, then maybe you will enjoy it here. Good luck.
Cygnus
10/22/2014 2:52pm
twizzler wrote:
You can't survive in most of the desirable places to live in California if you make less than $100k per year (single) or $150k joint with...
You can't survive in most of the desirable places to live in California if you make less than $100k per year (single) or $150k joint with a family. Yes, you can survive with less $, but you will not be able to afford to do all of the activities you said you want to do. Unless you are independently wealthy! Living expenses here are mostly outrageous. As is fuel (as you will have to drive a LOT), track fees, taxes, DMV costs, etc.... Every agency or state bureau or private firm here wants bookoo $$ for everything. Yes, Cal is a great place with so much to offer - horrific traffic, arrogant people (most not from here), greedy incompetent local and state Govt and Chinese and Persians buying up all housing even further driving up costs. Did I mention horrible traffic and idiot drivers? High rent or mortgage costs for the property you will be inhabiting. You don't get much for what you pay for! The mx tracks in SoCal are not that great either. The dirt is not that great. Glen Helen and Cahuilla are not as good as they used to be. Elsinore is hit and miss and more miss than hit. Milestone is ok but crowded most ride days. Star West and Perris are ok but they are not as good as they used to be. Piru is decent and LACR is coming back which is good. $25 per ride day fees. Plus even if you live in the mx hotbed of Corona or Temecula it will still take you approx. 1 hour to get to most mx tracks most days - traffic is that bad. Traffic in Temecula and the nearby area especially is HORRIBLE! So be careful what you wish for! Northern California may be the most bang for your buck. I'm also from Indiana and moved away from that shit hole loooong ago. California is great but it comes at a significant cost moneywise and lifestyle-wise. If you have $$ and can deal with traffic and crowds of people and don't mind getting ripped off from all angles, then maybe you will enjoy it here. Good luck.
You ready to move back to colorado man?

The Shop

10/22/2014 3:03pm
How are the unions in socal? Im a milling and paving operator in nj, nj unions are strong and provide an excellent living, but we have 3 months of summer , 1 month of rain and about 8 months of gloom lol. I also would love to move my family to socal and wondered about the work, is it all mexicans?
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
10/22/2014 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 3:22pm
I AM originally from Sacramento area . Roseville . I have came and went several times to other states ,
mostly due to cost of living , but also sac area is extremely hot in the summer months , but beautiful and comfortable in the winter , as far as MX the dirt is rock hard most places , like crashing on cement lots of blue groove imo , I think the best is Marysville personally , hangtown the ground is so hard it scares me Smile
I had a 1 bedroom apt in Rocklin cali for $1000 month , modesto is the armpit of the state , high crime and ghetto as is Stockton.

1 I have also lived in reno , very affordable and a lot to do !

2 and Colorado springs , which is very pretty , dirt is mostly hardpack aswell , bikes are noticeably less powerfull with the altitude ,
Colorado springs is very affordable , its like half the price of Denver for housing , I had a nice 2 bedroom apt for $600 per month there , crime rate is low , and nobody you talk to is from there , most are from cali !!

and I personally never got use to the altitude , I felt winded and tired all the time.

3 I currently live in Minnesota , very very affordable I have a nice house with garage etc.. for $550 per month , the dirt is the best I have seen anywhere , and not just milleville , in my opinion all the tracks here are awesome and plentyfull, soft dirt and a lot of sand ,
a lot of pretty girls here too , not that cali doesn't but I don't like there Paris Hilton ATTITUDES out there , in mn they are sexy and sweet .
and the downside , winter sucks BAD I despise it !!
so it goes from the best place ever (summer) to terrible . (winter) lol

I personally have not found the ideal place yet ,
but in a perfect world , basically if I could afford it .
my idea of perfect would be Minnesota from may 1st to November 1st .
and cali northern or southern from November 1st until may 1st ,.,.,.,
come on lotto .
or an investor so I can put some business ideas I have to good use .............Smile
peeerfect !!!

follow your dreams , you'll never know until you try

twizzler
10/22/2014 3:23pm
twizzler wrote:
You can't survive in most of the desirable places to live in California if you make less than $100k per year (single) or $150k joint with...
Cygnus wrote:
You ready to move back to colorado man?
Trust me I've thought about it recently! But this good Cali weather is hard to leave. Everything else I could do without though.
Homey55
10/22/2014 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 3:55pm
How are the unions in socal? Im a milling and paving operator in nj, nj unions are strong and provide an excellent living, but we have...
How are the unions in socal? Im a milling and paving operator in nj, nj unions are strong and provide an excellent living, but we have 3 months of summer , 1 month of rain and about 8 months of gloom lol. I also would love to move my family to socal and wondered about the work, is it all mexicans?
Union's are kind of "regional" in California and it also depends on the industry. Aerospace in California is heavy union but other industries don't have a preference on union. Unions are dominant in Los Angeles but not so much in Orange County. "Union" in California is not as millitant as they are back east though.

If you want a union job, then there are plenty to be had. If not, you will not have a problem either.

There are a lot of Mexicans to compete with as well. Most are hard workers and competitive in the trades but the quality is slightly lower and they take shortcuts a lot of the time.
Motodave15
10/22/2014 4:03pm
Lived in cali all my life.

I do like it here.. But I want to move away lol.

There is so many negative things i could say, but i don't want to go down that path

But RENT!!! I'm 25 and still living with my folks because i cannot afford a decent area.. even making 13$ a hour.. and getting paid weekly.

1k plus for a shitty apartment in a ghetto area... and houses around me all run 2100$ and up a month..

The area i live in is a nice little town called Covina... anyway

milestone/Glen Helen/ Comp Edge are all out 40 mins away....It's a hour to the likes of Elsinore,perris,starwest & piru(screw that track though)

Traffic is a fuckery and its full of illegal fukronauts.. almost 24/7.. just a heads up

SF45
10/22/2014 4:07pm
A house with a garage for $500 a month.... lmfao
Motodave15
10/22/2014 4:10pm
SF45 wrote:
+1k

LaughingLaughing
hvaughn88
10/22/2014 4:12pm
This has been an interesting thread to follow. Definitely gives some insight into residing in various parts of the country.
moscrop940
10/22/2014 4:27pm
SF45 wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
+1k

LaughingLaughing
That caught me too haha

My wife and I always crack up watching those house hunter shows when they are shot in the Midwest/back east

Tv guy: What kind of house are you looking for

Husband: Well were looking for a 4 bed 4 bath with a 3 car garage, something with a pool and a hot tub, preferably on 2 acres. We also need to keep it in the 100-120k price range.

TV guy: Well alright, I have a few places that fit that exact description!

All the while me and my wife are shaking our heads at what that would cost here in So cal
jgmxdad251
10/22/2014 4:28pm
California is a great place to live! Where else can you be 2 hours from the snow 2 hours from 7-12 tracks and riding areas and 1/2 an hour from the beach! I do agree about the Temecula area traffic. I looked into buying a place out there but, the traffic is fucking ridiculous!
Homey55
10/22/2014 4:41pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
California is a great place to live! Where else can you be 2 hours from the snow 2 hours from 7-12 tracks and riding areas and...
California is a great place to live! Where else can you be 2 hours from the snow 2 hours from 7-12 tracks and riding areas and 1/2 an hour from the beach! I do agree about the Temecula area traffic. I looked into buying a place out there but, the traffic is fucking ridiculous!
No offense to you personally, but that's what everyone says.

Reality of that statement is this...

-2 hours to the snow + 1 hour to park and walk to the ticket line + 30 minutes in line for a lift ticket + maybe sold out for the day, if not +15-30 minutes in line to take the lift to the top of the mountain all for shitty snow/ice/rocks.
-2 hours to the tracks, yeah, that's true. Tracks are all crowded and some are unrideable after water (Elsinore). I can't complain too much about the tracks.
-1/2 hour from the beach, in Simi Valley??!! No! 1 hour minimum to the beach, no matter where you live + finding parking + finding a nice spot that's not totally crowded.

People will always try to sell California on "where else can you do _____ within 2 hours." There are a lot of places to consider besides Ca. My experience is that you pay a lot of $$$ for sunshine and assholes.

jgmxdad251, again, I am not attacking you so please don't take that personal.
Torco1
10/22/2014 4:44pm
Your best bet would be either Inglewood or Crenshaw, you can get a decent rental for pretty cheap in both of those cities. The owners of Renthal actually began the business in Crenshaw.....that's how the company name came about. They wanted to pay tribute to the city that was a hub for moto back in the 70's and the best word they could think of that rhymed with Crenshaw was Renthal. True story....
Homey55
10/22/2014 4:51pm
Torco1 wrote:
Your best bet would be either Inglewood or Crenshaw, you can get a decent rental for pretty cheap in both of those cities. The owners of...
Your best bet would be either Inglewood or Crenshaw, you can get a decent rental for pretty cheap in both of those cities. The owners of Renthal actually began the business in Crenshaw.....that's how the company name came about. They wanted to pay tribute to the city that was a hub for moto back in the 70's and the best word they could think of that rhymed with Crenshaw was Renthal. True story....
Compton and Gardena would be a close 3rd and 4th Dry
hvaughn88
10/22/2014 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 4:59pm
SF45 wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
+1k

LaughingLaughing
moscrop940 wrote:
That caught me too haha My wife and I always crack up watching those house hunter shows when they are shot in the Midwest/back east [b]Tv...
That caught me too haha

My wife and I always crack up watching those house hunter shows when they are shot in the Midwest/back east

Tv guy: What kind of house are you looking for

Husband: Well were looking for a 4 bed 4 bath with a 3 car garage, something with a pool and a hot tub, preferably on 2 acres. We also need to keep it in the 100-120k price range.

TV guy: Well alright, I have a few places that fit that exact description!

All the while me and my wife are shaking our heads at what that would cost here in So cal
Haha it is pretty crazy. To be fair though, it's all about relativity. Those people may only have a household income of $40-$50K too. I get what you're saying though.

Also, the reverse of that is my wife and I shake our heads sometimes too thinking about how much more we could make in some areas of California, haha
mxdude105
10/22/2014 5:10pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
This has been an interesting thread to follow. Definitely gives some insight into residing in various parts of the country.
+1.
I tend to think of California as this paradise where you can ride, surf, mtb and basically just live the dream 24/7. I'm aware that's not totally realistic but its cool to hear some insider testimony. I've been to San Diego in the past and it seems like a pretty great place to be, def cleaner and less congested than LA (been there as well). Not sure about the moto scene down there tho, seems like most of the tracks are further north?
JW381
10/22/2014 5:11pm
moscrop940 wrote:
I would highly recommend Temecula. From my front door I am within an hour of Glen Helen, milestone, perris, elsinore, Cahuilla, and the ranch ( 3...
I would highly recommend Temecula.

From my front door I am within an hour of Glen Helen, milestone, perris, elsinore, Cahuilla, and the ranch ( 3 of those are within 20 minutes). You've got Beaumont, ocotillo, and glamis ( hate that place) within 2 hours. The beach is 30-40 minutes away depending on traffic, the mountains for snowboarding are 2 hours away, and you can be sitting at the black jack table at Cesar's in Vegas within 4 hours.

The crime is extremely low, the town is gorgeous, and you can get a 3 bed 3 bath 2000 SQFT home in the 1600 a month price range. Very young family friendly.

All I can say is that I moved to Temecula about 6 months ago with my wife and daughter from Palm Desert and I will NEVER move. I love the people, the riding, the weather, everything is spot on.

Best of luck to you on your move, regardless of where you plant your stakes.
Me and the girl wanna move south in a year or two, we'll have to look into Temecula. Also considering other spots in Oregon or AZ or Texas.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
10/22/2014 6:06pm
Florida's all full thanks. Seriously good luck. I always wanted to move out west. To old now.
hvaughn88
10/22/2014 6:12pm
"Go west, young man. Haven't you been told? California's full of whiskey, women and gold."
wwoberg
10/22/2014 6:22pm
Born and raised in So Cal. Rode all the old school tracks (glen Helen use to be arroyo). Moved out at 26 since I felt I could never make enough to raise s family and do things I enjoy. Moved to the south, where I have been able. We go back every year. I often think if I made the right decision. I miss the variety, diversity, and convience. I hate the crowd, traffic, and drought conditions. To his his own.
10/22/2014 6:36pm
Cali sounds great but alotta of u guys keep saying that alotta of the people their are asswholes, can ya's clarify more? Ive been to socal about 13x's and always loved it, but when i have called a few of the suspension shops out their the kids i talk to sound like they are apsolutley clueless burnt out potheads. Are they the people u guys are referring to?
Outsider
10/22/2014 6:39pm
Cali's nice, but all the drawbacks mentioned, especially the cost of living, are hard to deal with.

I lived in Reno for four years... if I was going to move, that would be at the top of the list. Riding, fishing, snowboarding, no sales tax, big enough to find work, cheap(er) housing, drive an hour in any direction to get away from town...

Do it
buggz
10/22/2014 7:01pm
California has everything to offer except WATER, and as stated ,at a huge cost .
If I were you, I would look into NC,FL,ID.,OR,WA,TX,VA,GA
Not necessarily in that order, but if this drought crap continues Ca will be dried up and the tracks will have a hard time keeping them prepped right. Good luck to you and you're family I hope you find your little piece of heaven.
DA498
10/22/2014 7:08pm
Born in Duluth MN, freaking hell hole. (weather) Lots of great memories MXing on some great tracks in WI and MN. Moved to So.Cal. after a stint in AZ (MMI) Lived in San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Dana Point, Lake Elsinore and Menifee. Did lots of Mt.Biking and some MX (growing family limiting time and $) Commuting to work once I settled down in Menifee almost killed me. The traffic was so crazy everywhere you went. Including side streets. It was more affordable inland for sure. the weather was great, a little hot in the summer(inland). Currently in Northern CO front range area. For me Id like the dirt of MN, weather of CA and population density of CO. If I moved back to CA id go back to the Menifee/ Temecula area but would try like hell to work in the area to limit the commuting. Ive been gone from that area since '96 and I know it has grown considerably since. I can imagine how crazy the traffic is now even locally. Good luck whatever you decide......

RandyS
10/22/2014 7:09pm
buggz wrote:
California has everything to offer except WATER, and as stated ,at a huge cost . If I were you, I would look into NC,FL,ID.,OR,WA,TX,VA,GA Not necessarily...
California has everything to offer except WATER, and as stated ,at a huge cost .
If I were you, I would look into NC,FL,ID.,OR,WA,TX,VA,GA
Not necessarily in that order, but if this drought crap continues Ca will be dried up and the tracks will have a hard time keeping them prepped right. Good luck to you and you're family I hope you find your little piece of heaven.
Northern California has plenty of water, we just need to turn off the faucet heading south.
DA498
10/22/2014 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 7:14pm
Sorry, double post.....

Post a reply to: If I were to move to California ?

The Latest