If I were Ken’s sport psychologist...

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2021 11:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2021 11:30 PM

As a licensed clinician myself (I don’t sell propane and propane accessories), I would explore and possibly reprocess his crash with Cooper in 2018 when he broke his arm.

I have worked with hundreds of people reprocessing traumatic events. Trauma has a way of impacting an individuals behavior and emotions in a way outside their conscious awareness. There’s a lot of chatter about Cooper being inside Ken’s head and it wouldn’t hurt to explore if it started with his 2018 crash with Webb.

It makes sense Ken didn’t try to force a pass on Barcia at round one, but watching his race at Daytona with Webb he seemed unable to pull the trigger and make something happen. Does anybody else notice this, or is it just me?

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...

3/11/2021 12:04 AM

By “reprocess” do you mean going back and looking at ways he could’ve avoided crashing ? What exactly is reprocessing ? It’s different than re-living I’m guessing ?

|

3/11/2021 12:23 AM

I'd tell him to aim for the leg next time he's got an inside on Coop!

Joking of course, but Kenny went through a lot of shit and it really does sometimes look like it creeps up on him in some situations.

|

3/11/2021 12:56 AM

Hank_Thrill wrote:

As a licensed clinician myself (I don’t sell propane and propane accessories), I would explore and possibly reprocess his ...more

I would sack you!

|

3/11/2021 12:57 AM

That's quite interesting.... So to 2021 it, Cooper being around him could almost be said to be triggering to him?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/11/2021 1:00 AM

sumdood wrote:

By “reprocess” do you mean going back and looking at ways he could’ve avoided crashing ? What exactly is reprocessing ? It’s ...more

Great question. I should have explained what that means. When major traumas occur (events that have an impact so significant one could meet criteria for PTSD) or smaller traumas occur, they can alter our belief systems, emotions, and behaviors. The majority of people who go through major trauma (I.e., war veterans, for example) naturally recover on their own within a year. A small percent get stuck in the recovery process. Reprocessing in simple terms is going back to the event and uncovering all the beliefs that keep people stuck, desensitizing the emotional response they have to the event, which naturally has a positive impact on their behaviors. Once the negative beliefs are uncovered and removed, more adaptive belief responses naturally emerge.

I want to make something clear. I do not think Ken has PTSD from his crash with Webb. What I am saying is there MIGHT be some things to explore and possibly work through regarding his 2018 Webb incident. Perhaps there is a small part of him that wants to keep Ken safe from another incident with Webb that shows up by physically tightening up around Webb, or in the form of a small but noticeable emotion. This is just speculation, but if he were my client it wouldn’t hurt to explore it.

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...

3/11/2021 1:15 AM

Crush wrote:

That's quite interesting.... So to 2021 it, Cooper being around him could almost be said to be triggering to him?

Possibly, but only Ken would know the answer to that. Anything triggering is something unprocessed.

For example, when I was trained in one of the few evidence based models approved by the V.A. for veterans I had to have something of my own reprocessed. I picked driving by the work of a lady I briefly dated on my way to work. On a scale of 0 to 10 with zero being no disturbance at all, driving by this lady’s work was about a 1.5 on the scale.

Once we got to exploring that emotion it led me to a breakup with a previous girl I had dated for four years. That event wasn’t fully reprocessed until the next day but that night I was a distraught wreck! My point in sharing this is that sometimes things that seem small can have a lot that needs to be unpacked underneath the surface.

Ken’s 2018 wreck is just something I’ve wondered about since he seems to struggle pulling the trigger and making passes on Webb.

|

3/11/2021 2:21 AM

Every psychologist I have met is borderline insane themselves....Maybe it would help him realise whatever issues he has aren’t so bad. Haha 😂

|

3/11/2021 2:41 AM

If I were Ken's proctologist...

|

3/11/2021 4:05 AM

Pretty sure it more to do with Kens ex who is now Webbs wife.

|

3/11/2021 4:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2021 4:24 AM

neysbo wrote:

Pretty sure they get together on off-weekends to Eiffel Tower your mom while the ladies watch and share popcorn.

|

I just wanna thank the Lord and Red Bull KTM

3/11/2021 5:01 AM

neysbo wrote:

Everyone says that but who broke up with who? I don't expect anyone on here to know, but he did call her a "hoe and a headache" so I doubt it was her that left.

Saying that may have trigged something extra in Webb, but seems to me like Roczen is long over her. Unless someone has proof otherwise, I think that discussion should be dropped.

|

3/11/2021 5:01 AM

neysbo wrote:

Yes that must be it, because Ken doesnt have his own wife (and child with her)....

|

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

3/11/2021 5:27 AM

Fascinating. What would you explore with Tomac?

|

3/11/2021 5:50 AM

It was just last year, I believe, during one of the outdoor nationals, when Roczen blew past Webb coming around an uphill corner so quickly, it almost seemed like an altered video. Webb has NEVER passed Roczen this way, nor will he, because he doesn't have Ken's other-worldly natural abilities. Webb is nearly as fast as Roczen but he's not nearly as gifted - and they both know it. Roczen is like an eagle, resplendent and beautiful, and Webb is like a bull, gritty and dull but very effective at getting arduous work done, with Tomac being a mix of both.

Myself, I find the various contrasts compelling and am thankful to be able to watch it all unfold. Ken simply needs to be what he is, instead of a second-rate version of a bull like Webb; and this same equation works for Webb as well. The difference is, it's ALWAYS more fun to be the bull that messes with the eagle than to be the eagle that messes with a bull - 'cause bulls don't give a shit. Advantage: Webb.

|

3/11/2021 6:28 AM

This the most intriguing post in a while imho. Ken's post race comments clearly demonstrate a ton of frustration. What exactly is going through his mind is the real question. Is he feeling a little overwhelmed knowing he is probably the most talented guy out there and had command of this series but yet now it is essentially tied back up and not only is Webb a giant pain in the ass but Eli is back in the picture as well? Imho both Eli and Webb have an advantage having a title in hand already and you know that deep down Ken must feel like the nightmare he's been through has robbed him of a title or two. Winning this championship is hard as hell and you wonder if he isn't a little weary and battling himself internally. All I know is that this is going to be a really interesting second half of the series.

|

3/11/2021 6:30 AM

Ken probably laughs at Cooper for being now with his ex! #golddigger

|

3/11/2021 7:00 AM

fullysicmate wrote:

Every psychologist I have met is borderline insane themselves....Maybe it would help him realise whatever issues he has aren’t ...more

Tell me more about how many psychologists you've met.

|

I just wanna thank the Lord and Red Bull KTM

3/11/2021 7:12 AM

motomike137 wrote:

This the most intriguing post in a while imho. Ken's post race comments clearly demonstrate a ton of frustration. What exactly ...more

I really don't get why people get so hung up on that post race interview... It was literally right after the race. Maybe the move felt worse to him than it actually was. He did not have a chance to watch the replay 12 times from 7 different angles either...

|

3/11/2021 7:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2021 7:20 AM

fullysicmate wrote:

Every psychologist I have met is borderline insane themselves....Maybe it would help him realise whatever issues he has aren’t ...more

For Ken to make a comeback after 2017 shows how incredibly resilient he is. I admire the hell out of the guy and want to see him get a SX championship before he retires.

Overall, Ken is working as excellent as his factory Honda. All these racers are exploring ways to become a little bit physically fitter and make the bike just a little bit better. Exploring the Webb thing could be comparable to testing a different suspension setting. Nothing is pathologically wrong with him. If the general population were in his boots they wouldn't have lined up to the gate post 2017.

"Bodily injuries heal. That stuff is easy in a way... it does it by itself. Mentally, that is a tougher strength to master." - Doug Henry.

All these guys are just as mentally fit as they are physically, imo.

|

3/11/2021 7:16 AM

neysbo wrote:

Exactly!

Cooper has Kennys love, Kennys spot at KTM and soon his second SX title.

Roczen isnt dump, he knows that he would have way more titles if he stayed with KTM..

|

3/11/2021 7:26 AM

Ken's Instagram story he shared from his wife is pretty gnarly in motion!

Photo

|

3/11/2021 7:36 AM

Skuzzy29 wrote:

Photo

That is forking awesome! I absolutely love it.

|

3/11/2021 7:44 AM

Watching in person on a Saturday, Coop “wicked it up” quite nicely and even got a little loose as Ken caught up to him...in other words...he found some speed and made it pretty damn hard to pas him...

Yes, Ken was “on it”; but, I think we’re a bit mistaken when we think Ken should just fly by Coop. As if Copper is EVER gonna let that happen. Coop has a mechanic with a pit-board telling him who’s coming and who’s ahead. So, he knew what was going on.

As for “reprocessing” and what’s in Ken’s head? I’d think we’d want to look at the original crash that started his “period of nightmares”...all the while realizing that he’s CRUSHING IT as of late and by all appearances is waaaaaay past all this and living in the present.

From where I’m standing, I think the absolutely horrific crash and Injury to Blake would have been the most traumatic thing in Ken’s recent life. Al-least, it seems so to me. Ken and his camp share the stoke like surfers on permanent vacation. I think they all know how to adapt, accept change & move on...as shown by how the entire family has moved fwd & adapted.

All I know is this: these last few years have made me a fan and believer in Team Savage-Roczen.

I hope this “team” wins it all.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

3/11/2021 7:49 AM

Skuzzy29 wrote:

Photo

Funny

I hadn’t seen this post (pictured). It kinda makes my point. They “get it”. So stoked.

Damn, I love these peeps.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

3/11/2021 8:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2021 8:11 AM

Agree with Manny, it would have been easy for KR94 to hang up the gear after that 2nd issue. If KR has the most points at the end of the SX season, I'm good.

|

3/11/2021 8:24 AM

I would have thought all of the top guys would be seeing some sort of sports psychologist on a routine basis.

Was told that Max Anstie was spending time with one when he was really young, this was all part of his preparation for the future.

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

3/11/2021 8:27 AM

neysbo wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/11/2021 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2021 8:56 AM

motomike137 wrote:

This the most intriguing post in a while imho. Ken's post race comments clearly demonstrate a ton of frustration. What exactly ...more

crusty_xx wrote:

I really don't get why people get so hung up on that post race interview... It was literally right after the race. Maybe the ...more

There is far too much weight being put into that interview for sure. As someone who really wants to see him win the title, I was still pissed at how the race panned out at that point, so I can’t imagine how pissed Kenny must’ve felt during that interview. Doesn’t mean he’s going to carry it into next weekend. After Houston 3 he was super pissed that he lost the win on the last lap but he responded by winning the next 3 races, so he’s already shown very recently that he can put this stuff behind him. If he’s analysed the race at all this week he’ll take a lot of positives from it. He reeled Webb in from a ways back, made the mistake, then reeled him in again. Okay so he couldn’t make a pass, but he’ll know he has the speed. He also set the fastest lap of the race on lap 16 so clearly his fitness is on point

|

3/11/2021 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2021 9:11 AM

It's awesome to see these types of conversations come up. We have a long way to go before we have any real understanding of consciousness, emotions, and energy. An exciting topic, especially as it relates to performance!

OP is spot on when it comes to past trauma leaving an imprint. He's also spot on when it comes to reprocessing.

It is my belief that gaining awareness of all that makes up a person is one of the main goals of this experience we call life. It's how we attempt to answer, "Who am I?"

All the previous ideas, thoughts, events, programming, content consumed, etc. in which you have experienced are what make you you. These experiences leave imprints on your nervous system and psyche. Emotional trauma floods the body with chemical and electrical signals, which ultimately alters how one responds in the future (aka you change). Emotional trauma has even been shown to pass down multiple generations via DNA and psychological programming. Therefore, this trapped energy is carried around and becomes the new baseline. Most don't even realize they have this tension built up because the mind normalizes these feelings over time and shoves them into the subconscious. Emotions are energy in motion and the conscious mind only picks up on the change in energy (think temperature changes).

The nervous system is constantly monitoring the world for threats and gets triggered by, well, triggers. This has the effect of sending the nervous system into protection/response mode. A muscle will tighten to protect a joint when stretching. Or the heart rate picks up when you drive by an ex's place of work. Most of this happens at the subconscious level but if you pay attention, there is information to be gathered. Feelings are called feelings for a reason.

Becoming mindful of emotional reactions can lead you to looking into the rear view mirror to understand where that comes from. Becoming aware of the problem is the first step to solving it. And life seems to simply be a process of pruning away the old bs that isn't serving you anymore. This means our body is our own unique roadmap. It's when our conscious mind stops listening to the body, that we find ourselves off course.

I feel it's reasonable to assume that there is some trapped energy from Kenny's past, and all of ours, that could use some attention. Not only will it improve our individual rides, but it may help us get the collective one back on course as well.

Great post OP.

TLDR: Pay attention to your attention.

|