If Dungey...

51xc
12/22/2015 9:22pm
i hope dungey enjoyed every moment this past year because i have a feeling someone will have that little bit of extra over him this season. and that someone might well be on a green bike again.
Deetsmx
12/22/2015 9:52pm
I like dungey, but 2015 would have been just like the previous few years if villopoto was there.
h&m_cycle
12/22/2015 10:26pm
It's a shame he wasn't on the new KTM when Villopoto was winning. I believe he sacrificed ego and championships in order to build that brand...
It's a shame he wasn't on the new KTM when Villopoto was winning. I believe he sacrificed ego and championships in order to build that brand, and is positioned to take DeCoster's role upon retirement. Once they had the bike, he won the championship. Granted, Villopoto had moved on, but I think Ryan would have been more of a factor had he had this new machinery.

Now than Anderson is on the similar Husqvarna, he's the one I'm betting shines through, leaving many top riders frustrated. It happens "every now and then" and I think Jason is that guy.
RPM68 wrote:
yup...I was going to be a dick and say its too late b/c his main Rival retired. With that being said, does anyone else honestly think...
yup...I was going to be a dick and say its too late b/c his main Rival retired. With that being said, does anyone else honestly think Someone is going to beat Dungey this year in a championship? Dungey is going to win, he's the best champion in our sport right now, bottom line. I would love to see this go to the final round, but lets face it, RD1 aint got time for that shit.
Yeah, I think Kenny is the only one that can beat him... Tomac will be the fastest guy but... Stewie will lose interest...
I'm talking title...
Jimmy_Sloan
12/22/2015 10:55pm
Tpog496 wrote:
Had Villopoto not retired Dungey would have less championships. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
Plenty of people could disagree with that. Dungey was a different rider in 2015 and things may very well have been different than in years past. Of course, it never ceases to amaze me that some people still give titles to RV even when he's not there.

The Shop

Jimmy_Sloan
12/22/2015 10:58pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I like dungey, but 2015 would have been just like the previous few years if villopoto was there.
So what are next weeks winning lottery numbers?
Motofinne
12/22/2015 11:09pm
It's funny when people way "ooh RV wasn't there"

So you think all the other riders that finished behind Dungey were even worse? Let's say Tomac would have won the SX or MX championship in 2015 or Roczen, no one would say that "well RV wasn't there, so it wasn't anything special".

agn5009
12/22/2015 11:13pm
agn5009 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can make the argument you're making. Espically with RV's track record with injuries. You're making a BS "what if" statement. Was...
I don't see how anyone can make the argument you're making. Espically with RV's track record with injuries. You're making a BS "what if" statement. Was RV usually "faster"? Yes, absolutely. Does the "faster" guy always win championships? No. There's thousands of circumstances that go into winning a championship.

Can you give me the lotto numbers since you're obviously a psychic? That'd be great, thanks.
Crush wrote:
There's not thousands of instances where the faster guy between those two didn't win though.
That's what you got? Nit pick when you have no other argument. But yes, a thousand different mechanical, broken bones, illness, etc could be the reason for not winning a championship.
Crush
12/23/2015 2:52am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 2:55am
agn5009 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can make the argument you're making. Espically with RV's track record with injuries. You're making a BS "what if" statement. Was...
I don't see how anyone can make the argument you're making. Espically with RV's track record with injuries. You're making a BS "what if" statement. Was RV usually "faster"? Yes, absolutely. Does the "faster" guy always win championships? No. There's thousands of circumstances that go into winning a championship.

Can you give me the lotto numbers since you're obviously a psychic? That'd be great, thanks.
Crush wrote:
There's not thousands of instances where the faster guy between those two didn't win though.
agn5009 wrote:
That's what you got? Nit pick when you have no other argument. But yes, a thousand different mechanical, broken bones, illness, etc could be the reason...
That's what you got? Nit pick when you have no other argument. But yes, a thousand different mechanical, broken bones, illness, etc could be the reason for not winning a championship.
Yep. It's all I need. The scoreboard does the rest.

I'm not hating on Dungey, but the stats don't lie, when they went head to head, there was no argument. He beat RD each time they completed a season, including both times in 250s, and in that time period, RV really only crashed out of one, 2010 SX. He flat out didn't enter MX in 10/12/14.
RG1
12/23/2015 3:30am
I don't think Dingey will ever be considered the best, he's certainly one of the best, but I don't think he'll ever be considered in the same light as the likes of MC and RC
HenryA
12/23/2015 3:41am
He needs to call Doc and figure out how to beat RV 2011-2014

12/23/2015 4:23am
If only there were a championship title for least amount of career crashes and injuries.

Dungey would take it running away with no competition in sight. And do it as "ONE OF" the best!....Thats worth noting in my book!
MR. X
12/23/2015 4:30am
Even RV would have got left in tomacs dust the start of outdoors. Everybody saw what risk needs to be taken to beat dungey and the others and it was way to close to the side of crashing then staying upright all season.
12/23/2015 4:40am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 4:54am
The truth will come out in the year 2020 when no one talks about Dungey anymore. Modern day Kiedrowski.
c0ncEpT
12/23/2015 4:50am
MR. X wrote:
Even RV would have got left in tomacs dust the start of outdoors. Everybody saw what risk needs to be taken to beat dungey and the...
Even RV would have got left in tomacs dust the start of outdoors. Everybody saw what risk needs to be taken to beat dungey and the others and it was way to close to the side of crashing then staying upright all season.
Beating Dungey by a minute and a half in the 2nd moto at Hangtown isn't the risk that was needed to beat him. It was the risk that was needed to embarrass him. Had Eli backed it down 10% Dungey wouldn't have the 2015 MX championship.

Butttt he didn't and Dungey has the championship so its all just speculation after that.
MR. X
12/23/2015 5:18am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Beating Dungey by a minute and a half in the 2nd moto at Hangtown isn't the risk that was needed to beat him. It was the...
Beating Dungey by a minute and a half in the 2nd moto at Hangtown isn't the risk that was needed to beat him. It was the risk that was needed to embarrass him. Had Eli backed it down 10% Dungey wouldn't have the 2015 MX championship.

Butttt he didn't and Dungey has the championship so its all just speculation after that.
There was no doubt that tomac was on another level then anyone else on the track until his accident. Even the dunge kinda laughed when he was asked if he was gonna be able to find more speed ,saying that his results were no indication of where they were speed wise. He always seems to figure things out the second half of the season for some reason while other guys come out going light speed right from round 1.
IWreckALot
12/23/2015 5:45am
Juss wrote:
Good lord
Yep. Page and a half in, you have the classic hypothetical Dungey vs. RV with different circumstances argument, and you even have the token reference to Aldon and PED's. . . Sprinkle a little DDavis on this thread and call it complete.
wreckitrandy
12/23/2015 5:48am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Beating Dungey by a minute and a half in the 2nd moto at Hangtown isn't the risk that was needed to beat him. It was the...

MR. X wrote:
There was no doubt that tomac was on another level then anyone else on the track until his accident. Even the dunge kinda laughed when he...
There was no doubt that tomac was on another level then anyone else on the track until his accident. Even the dunge kinda laughed when he was asked if he was gonna be able to find more speed ,saying that his results were no indication of where they were speed wise. He always seems to figure things out the second half of the season for some reason while other guys come out going light speed right from round 1.
Dungey may not be the best interview in the sport but, his race craft is well above the other guys. There can be little doubt that he knows where the limit is and when to approach it. Are other guys faster? Sure. But they are all either broken and retired or, just broken.
MR. X
12/23/2015 6:20am
Well, look what I have started...[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/23/116463/s1200_shitstorm.jpg[/img]
Well, look what I have started...

I thought this was one of the more respectable discussions I've read in the off season.
Dezerted
12/23/2015 8:33am
Dezerted wrote:
That Aldon is the best trainer......

At beating drug tests
Crush wrote:
Really?!
Yes really...

It's fact and could be proven but motocross fans in general are like ostriches, heads burried in sand
peelout
12/23/2015 9:01am
zehn wrote:
IMO Villo only won 2011 SX and MX because Dungey was on a Zook, but that's just me
and then you have the group saying he didn't win '12, '13, or '14 because he was on a KTM.

RV was a bad dude, and RD is still a bad dude.

Kenny for the '16 SX championship (on that Zook) Wink
Ted722
12/23/2015 9:11am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 9:13am
The truth will come out in the year 2020 when no one talks about Dungey anymore. Modern day Kiedrowski.
Nothing wrong with that, but more like a modern day Stanton with a lot more style. And a lot of people still talk about Stanton. Perfect example of hard work and dedication with the best bike and best team manager. Not coincidentally, the same team manager Dungey has now.

mxb2
12/23/2015 10:43am
Who has more titles rv or dungey as of right now? That should answer the question. When dungey retires, time to back and check stats.
akillerwombat
12/23/2015 11:13am
The is no point arguing the number of titles Dungey has / will accomplish before he retires because he's going to have a shit load – and that is nothing short of impressive.

What Dungey lacks – to no fault of his own – is the flare that makes mortal men remembered as gods. He's never had a single moment to pinpoint his greatness but a collection of accomplishments that define his career. He's never taken down a goliath, he's never dominated the field leaving everyone scratching their heads at what happened, and personally he's never really done anything (outside of winning a lot of championships) that's made me yell, "how the fuck did he do that?!" at the tv.

I don't want to discredit Dungey's accomplishments because he's done far more than nearly everyone else that has ever existed in the sport but he just doesn't have "it". Carmichael has "it", Stewart has "it", Villopoto has "it", and I think as long as they stay healthy both Webb and Tomac have "it".

I'll leave everyone with this:

I believe we'd see Carmichael, Stewart, Villo, Webb, and Tomac hurtle the fence... I feel like Dungey would try to build another erector set.
hvaughn88
12/23/2015 11:21am
The is no point arguing the number of titles Dungey has / will accomplish before he retires because he's going to have a shit load – and...
The is no point arguing the number of titles Dungey has / will accomplish before he retires because he's going to have a shit load – and that is nothing short of impressive.

What Dungey lacks – to no fault of his own – is the flare that makes mortal men remembered as gods. He's never had a single moment to pinpoint his greatness but a collection of accomplishments that define his career. He's never taken down a goliath, he's never dominated the field leaving everyone scratching their heads at what happened, and personally he's never really done anything (outside of winning a lot of championships) that's made me yell, "how the fuck did he do that?!" at the tv.

I don't want to discredit Dungey's accomplishments because he's done far more than nearly everyone else that has ever existed in the sport but he just doesn't have "it". Carmichael has "it", Stewart has "it", Villopoto has "it", and I think as long as they stay healthy both Webb and Tomac have "it".

I'll leave everyone with this:

I believe we'd see Carmichael, Stewart, Villo, Webb, and Tomac hurtle the fence... I feel like Dungey would try to build another erector set.
I find this to be a pretty dramatic moment and provides plenty of "flare"

akillerwombat
12/23/2015 11:39am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I find this to be a pretty dramatic moment and provides plenty of "flare" [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/23/116508/s1200_ryandungey_moto2_6.jpg[/img]
I find this to be a pretty dramatic moment and provides plenty of "flare"

I think this kind of illustrates my point. This was, without a doubt, an amazing ride from Dungey but how many of these has he had? You can't fault the guy for constantly running in the top 3 but when you think of all the crazy passion filled moments & races from Carmichael, Stewart, and Villopoto over the years – Dungey's just don't stack up. He's constant. Without a doubt one of the most constant the sport has ever seen but he's not exciting... and excitement is why legends are remembered. Those moments give us an emotional connection to the athlete.

All that said – never being able to contain Villopoto without Villopoto crashing out will be a smudge on his career and thus separate him from the likes of Carmichael who was still beating Stewart through the end of his career.
Twist1
12/23/2015 11:55am
Big fan of RD, but he ain't the GOAT.
RC & JS were willing to die trying, and doing it on 4Fiddys untamed.
Hope 5 wins the title this year
potatoflake
12/23/2015 12:05pm
walleyeguy wrote:
I'm not taking anything from the RD here but I'll put $50 up that he isn't the SX champ in '16.
I'll be back in May for my 50 bucks
kiwifan
12/23/2015 12:13pm
Ted722 wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, but more like a modern day Stanton with a lot more style. And a lot of people still talk about Stanton. Perfect...
Nothing wrong with that, but more like a modern day Stanton with a lot more style. And a lot of people still talk about Stanton. Perfect example of hard work and dedication with the best bike and best team manager. Not coincidentally, the same team manager Dungey has now.

I agree with this post, he has always reminded me of Stanton, good call.

Post a reply to: If Dungey...

The Latest