If Dungey...

12/22/2015 11:53am Edited Date/Time 12/25/2015 11:33am
Is holding the #1 plate in Vegas/round 12, what more does he have to do to be considered the best? The guy has battled it out with just about everyone aside from MC and RC, and this year is starting out as "The most stacked season ever." Although I'd like to see Kenny win it, it'd be great to see Dungey wrap up another championship. He seems to be overshadowed by his competitors each season despite his accomplishments.

Are championships what determine who's the best or is it who they had to go through to get that championship?

And Merry Christmas Vital!
|
jonesaustin
12/22/2015 11:57am
It's a shame he wasn't on the new KTM when Villopoto was winning. I believe he sacrificed ego and championships in order to build that brand, and is positioned to take DeCoster's role upon retirement. Once they had the bike, he won the championship. Granted, Villopoto had moved on, but I think Ryan would have been more of a factor had he had this new machinery.

Now than Anderson is on the similar Husqvarna, he's the one I'm betting shines through, leaving many top riders frustrated. It happens "every now and then" and I think Jason is that guy.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/22/2015 11:59am
Is holding the #1 plate in Vegas/round 12, what more does he have to do to be considered the best? The guy has battled it out...
Is holding the #1 plate in Vegas/round 12, what more does he have to do to be considered the best? The guy has battled it out with just about everyone aside from MC and RC, and this year is starting out as "The most stacked season ever." Although I'd like to see Kenny win it, it'd be great to see Dungey wrap up another championship. He seems to be overshadowed by his competitors each season despite his accomplishments.

Are championships what determine who's the best or is it who they had to go through to get that championship?

And Merry Christmas Vital!
Vegas is round 17.
RPM68
12/22/2015 12:01pm
It's a shame he wasn't on the new KTM when Villopoto was winning. I believe he sacrificed ego and championships in order to build that brand...
It's a shame he wasn't on the new KTM when Villopoto was winning. I believe he sacrificed ego and championships in order to build that brand, and is positioned to take DeCoster's role upon retirement. Once they had the bike, he won the championship. Granted, Villopoto had moved on, but I think Ryan would have been more of a factor had he had this new machinery.

Now than Anderson is on the similar Husqvarna, he's the one I'm betting shines through, leaving many top riders frustrated. It happens "every now and then" and I think Jason is that guy.
yup...I was going to be a dick and say its too late b/c his main Rival retired. With that being said, does anyone else honestly think Someone is going to beat Dungey this year in a championship? Dungey is going to win, he's the best champion in our sport right now, bottom line. I would love to see this go to the final round, but lets face it, RD1 aint got time for that shit.
RPM68
12/22/2015 12:04pm
ML512 wrote:
Vegas is round 17.
I think he was implying the final round of outdoors as well, smartass. If I'm wrong, Merry Christmas lol.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
12/22/2015 12:04pm
Championships are what determine winners and all so races. Nothing has changed. Opinion on who a rider had race to get those wins and championships is subjective.

He is already set his mark on outdoor motocross, 2nd all time right now behind RC.
Tpog496
12/22/2015 12:10pm
Had Villopoto not retired Dungey would have less championships. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
DoctorJD
12/22/2015 12:11pm
Dungey is going to do what Dungey does:

Ride with a combination of speed and consistently that forces his competitors to do likewise if they want to sniff the title at the end of the year. I wouldn't bet against him.

kiwifan
12/22/2015 12:12pm
I think he is already a legend, he gets a bit of bad press but he has deserved all the titles he has got. To call him the best is a debateable and worthless title unless you compare him to a certain era, some call RC the GOAT I think Hannah was personally or even DeCoster but its all a matter of personal opinion. You could not compare Dungey to DeCoster for example...different bikes, different tracks, different moto lengths, different competition, etc etc

Was Dungey the 'best' rider in the last 5 years, you could argue so, but RV would be in that category too.
12/22/2015 12:13pm
RPM68 wrote:
I think he was implying the final round of outdoors as well, smartass. If I'm wrong, Merry Christmas lol.
Yes I was, sorry for the confusion Grinning
jonesaustin
12/22/2015 12:27pm
Tpog496 wrote:
Had Villopoto not retired Dungey would have less championships. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
the new KTM would have altered this otherwise plausible conclusion. flip the coin and you get a guy who could have been winning championships against Villopoto but was working on the KTM brand and the new machine.
Tpog496
12/22/2015 12:29pm
the new KTM would have altered this otherwise plausible conclusion. flip the coin and you get a guy who could have been winning championships against Villopoto...
the new KTM would have altered this otherwise plausible conclusion. flip the coin and you get a guy who could have been winning championships against Villopoto but was working on the KTM brand and the new machine.
It's not the bike bro and you know it.
jackiej
12/22/2015 12:32pm
give credit where credit is due geez. RV2 won 4 championships in a row, and from what i recall RD was in it to win it...

jeffro503
12/22/2015 12:32pm
I'm hoping Eli wins it this year , but I'll be pulling for James too this year. So many good guys up there I like to root for , And RD is one of them as well. It'll be tough to bet against RD by round 17....the guy has proved that he has what it takes year after year.
TeamGreen
12/22/2015 12:36pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm hoping Eli wins it this year , but I'll be pulling for James too this year. So many good guys up there I like to...
I'm hoping Eli wins it this year , but I'll be pulling for James too this year. So many good guys up there I like to root for , And RD is one of them as well. It'll be tough to bet against RD by round 17....the guy has proved that he has what it takes year after year.
I want to see the Red Plate on 6-7-8 different bikes/riders....
philG
12/22/2015 12:39pm
The guy who is out injured or retired would always have won... this IS Vital
hvaughn88
12/22/2015 12:41pm
I'm a huge fan of RV, but you definitely have to give credit to Dungey. He's been incredible and has an incredible career accomplishment list. Dungey might not be the flat-out fastest guy to ever ride a motorcycle, but he just might have the highest consistent "speed" of anyone ever. His ability to go fast as hell, lap after lap, and not get hurt is what impresses me the most about him. He's incredible. No other way to put it.
uk125250
12/22/2015 12:42pm
He's not even close to RC. He dominated for years. Dungey wins with consistency. I don't think anyone would argue that both guys in their prime that Dungey is faster.
jeffro503
12/22/2015 12:43pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm hoping Eli wins it this year , but I'll be pulling for James too this year. So many good guys up there I like to...
TeamGreen wrote:
I want to see the Red Plate on 6-7-8 different bikes/riders....
Yes , this! I would love to see that too Manny. I'm not going to jinx A1 ( knock on wood! ).....lets hope the injuries stay to a minimum!
c0ncEpT
12/22/2015 12:47pm
To say Dungey would have beat Villopoto if he had the new bike the whole time is laughable. Villopoto was in Dungeys head. He could have been riding a unicorn and he wouldn't have taken those championships from him.

Not to dis credit Dungey as he is on the elite level of riders and the best in the world(IMO) right now. But he had his chance at Villopoto and was consistently beaten.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3559th
12/22/2015 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2015 1:08pm
You can argue this point as much as you like but you'll never get the dickbags on here who like to bash on Dungey to acknowledge just how good he really is. At the end of the day the stars will tell the story and I know for a fact that Ryan uses the disrespect as fuel in his training! He got robbed of 2 titles in 2011 due to mechanical failures. In 2012 he was on a bike that was considered to be unrideable. Especially in Supercross it was considered a death trap. Going up against a guy who had been on green his entire pro career on a brand new bike definitely adds another another aspect to an already extremely difficult challenge. Anyone who disagrees does not get to have an opinion as they obviously have no idea what it is and what it means to be at one with your motorcycle. Anyone that has had that feeling of being one with your motorcycle would never discount how much that affected Ryan's ability to fight a very comfortable RV2. Ryan's never going to say that as he's being paid huge bucks by KTM and it's not in his character to make excuses.
pete24
12/22/2015 12:59pm
i think when he gets to 73 wins he will have a good shot at it
Tpog496
12/22/2015 1:01pm
jhansen510 wrote:
You can argue this point as much as you like but you'll never get the dickbags on here who like to bash on Dungey to acknowledge...
You can argue this point as much as you like but you'll never get the dickbags on here who like to bash on Dungey to acknowledge just how good he really is. At the end of the day the stars will tell the story and I know for a fact that Ryan uses the disrespect as fuel in his training! He got robbed of 2 titles in 2011 due to mechanical failures. In 2012 he was on a bike that was considered to be unrideable. Especially in Supercross it was considered a death trap. Going up against a guy who had been on green his entire pro career on a brand new bike definitely adds another another aspect to an already extremely difficult challenge. Anyone who disagrees does not get to have an opinion as they obviously have no idea what it is and what it means to be at one with your motorcycle. Anyone that has had that feeling of being one with your motorcycle would never discount how much that affected Ryan's ability to fight a very comfortable RV2. Ryan's never going to say that as he's being paid huge bucks by KTM and it's not in his character to make excuses.
I'm just as big of a Dungey fan as the next guy, but nobody made him ride that KTM. He was the SX champion, he could arguably have went to any team he wanted to go to.
walleyeguy
12/22/2015 1:25pm
I'm not taking anything from the RD here but I'll put $50 up that he isn't the SX champ in '16.
Lucifa.
12/22/2015 1:26pm
jhansen510 wrote:
You can argue this point as much as you like but you'll never get the dickbags on here who like to bash on Dungey to acknowledge...
Tpog496 wrote:
I'm just as big of a Dungey fan as the next guy, but nobody made him ride that KTM. He was the SX champion, he could...
I'm just as big of a Dungey fan as the next guy, but nobody made him ride that KTM. He was the SX champion, he could arguably have went to any team he wanted to go to.
You are correct. But the fact is he DID ride that bike with all things considered.

In saying that, the more you train and race, you're only going to get better untill a certain point. This has what Dungey has done over the years. Become better to a point where he is now considered the best.

It's not just about he bike. Theres not much of a big advartage between the top pros bikes these days. They are very much on par. Set up and tallent is what wins races.
TeamGreen
12/22/2015 1:27pm
pete24 wrote:
i think when he gets to 73 wins he will have a good shot at it
And...he'll have to drop Akro for FMF...
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/22/2015 1:30pm
RPM68 wrote:
I am a smartass. Tongue
Excaliburbmx
12/22/2015 1:38pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Tpog496 wrote:
I'm just as big of a Dungey fan as the next guy, but nobody made him ride that KTM. He was the SX champion, he could...
Lucifa. wrote:
You are correct. But the fact is he DID ride that bike with all things considered. In saying that, the more you train and race, you're...
You are correct. But the fact is he DID ride that bike with all things considered.

In saying that, the more you train and race, you're only going to get better untill a certain point. This has what Dungey has done over the years. Become better to a point where he is now considered the best.

It's not just about he bike. Theres not much of a big advartage between the top pros bikes these days. They are very much on par. Set up and tallent is what wins races.
But it was the same bike Roczen won the outdoors on. So it could not have been a bad bike.
Crush
12/22/2015 1:39pm
MC?

Unfortunately for Ryan, RV beat him in each championship they both finished. That counts. He can win all of them he likes, and honestly if he ended up with more than RV how could you say he was better?! He didn't beat him. He did hang around.

Not to say he isn't fucking amazing, you're talking a lick of paint on the outside wall of a bee's dick. But. It's there.
blusmbl
12/22/2015 2:04pm
Crush wrote:
MC? Unfortunately for Ryan, RV beat him in each championship they both finished. That counts. He can win all of them he likes, and honestly if...
MC?

Unfortunately for Ryan, RV beat him in each championship they both finished. That counts. He can win all of them he likes, and honestly if he ended up with more than RV how could you say he was better?! He didn't beat him. He did hang around.

Not to say he isn't fucking amazing, you're talking a lick of paint on the outside wall of a bee's dick. But. It's there.
Spinning it in the other direction, you can easily argue Villopoto crashed out of several series trying to beat Dungey, including a SX championship.
Crush
12/22/2015 2:43pm
Crush wrote:
MC? Unfortunately for Ryan, RV beat him in each championship they both finished. That counts. He can win all of them he likes, and honestly if...
MC?

blusmbl wrote:
Spinning it in the other direction, you can easily argue Villopoto crashed out of several series trying to beat Dungey, including a SX championship.
Several?

2010 SX.

He didn't really crash out of 12 and 14 MX, he dabbed a foot and twisted his knee, and it certainly wasn't because he was raging trying to beat Dungey... and there's not really any evidence to suggest that if he did ride he'd have been beat.

Post a reply to: If Dungey...

The Latest